Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

fifty years ago: THE BETA MAN

NoShear

NoShear,

Thank you for the clip from The Omega Man.

I was trying to i.d. the make of the car that Robert Neville (Charlton Heston) was driving. According to YouTube commenters, it's a Pontiac Catalina.

Those were the days . . . for stylish, distinctive looking American cars. Modern US cars are, by comparison, aesthetically dull and stylistically unappealing, as far as I'm concerned.

My drive through downtown L.A., blasting John Lennon's and Yoko Ono's Woman is the N-word* of the World occurred about eleven years before I actually worked downtown -- for an accounting firm at One Wilshire (the eastern end of Wilshire Boulevard) to be precise. On my lunch hour, I would walk around the area with a camera, taking pictures of the architectures of buildings and the downtown streets of Los Angeles. I grew up listening to, and enthralled by, my mother's vivid memories of New York City (where she was born and lived until she migrated to California). Walking around downtown L.A., I imagined "this is what it must be like in New York City." An inveterate "Big City Boy" -- I detest small towns and rural communities -- I was in heaven during that all-too brief period in my life.

* Such a childish euphemism. But, don't get me started.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I've been on these boards for 13 years, and I have no idea how you did tiny type for your footnote.

Select the type you want to change the size of. On the top line of the box you type posts, at the right, there is a "Size" button.  Click, and a drop down menu showing type sizes will appear. Choose your size. Other options on the line include bold, italic, underline, strikethrough, and color.

• Thanks 1