Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

17 hours ago, nakano said:

So was Burton,he had affairs with Nathalie Delon and Raquel Welch during the filming.

I've read over the years that Burton was having a brief dalliance with some of his co-stars from

Bluebeard. Don't know if he did or if this is just more Hollywood gossip.  If it's true he must have

been a busy man as he was still married to Liz at the time. 

2 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

I've read over the years that Burton was having a brief dalliance with some of his co-stars from

Bluebeard. Don't know if he did or if this is just more Hollywood gossip.  If it's true he must have

been a busy man as he was still married to Liz at the time. 

Liz was even there on location (not sure if it was the whole shoot) as she celebrated her 40th birthday in Hungary.

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Liz was even there on location (not sure if it was the whole shoot) as she celebrated her 40th birthday in Hungary.

Naughty boy. I only watched the last half of The Night of the Iguana and maybe it was mentioned in the

intro, but I believe she also accompanied him on that shoot, likely because Ava was in the house. And

probably the only time Burton wheeled a drink cart away from himself. 

2 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

Naughty boy. I only watched the last half of The Night of the Iguana and maybe it was mentioned in the

intro, but I believe she also accompanied him on that shoot, likely because Ava was in the house. And

probably the only time Burton wheeled a drink cart away from himself. 

LOL. Yes, she was there too, to keep an eye on him. :D

Burton had 10 years of experience with jealous  Liz then,he was an expert for this,he also had a fling with Florinda Bolkan in another film,he was a busy  man and very smart....According to Richard Burton's biography "And God Created Burton" Bujold had an affair with the actor when they were filming. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2021 at 9:41 AM, Hibi said:

Too bad they showed it in the middle of the night. He should've won the Oscar for that. Academy didn't like him, I guess. Not even an honorary one. :(

I guess due to nudity

If Burton had made it through the 90's or 2000's, I think the Academy would have eventually voted him an honorary Oscar. Who knows, maybe Burton would have turned in another oscar-worthy performance that would finally have snagged him an acting award.

My personal favorite performance of his is WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF? But that was only one of many great performances he turned in on screen.

Would have liked to have seen him on stage as well. 

• Like 1
On 8/3/2021 at 4:21 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

Where are you getting this "back in the day"?     It was my understanding that under the studio-system,  the studio would provide the potential nominees as well as the category.

I don't have details about My Cousin Rachel,  but it could have been contractual on DeHavilland's part.   My Cousin Rachel being somewhat of a come-back film (3 years after winning an Oscar for The Heiress),  could have had it in her contract that she was the only leading actor in the film.

Another reason is that the studio felt Burton had a better chance of being one of the limited number of nominees in the Supporting Category verses the Leading one.

I.e. better to have him nominated in that category than no category at all.    

Yes, and even now, the Academy has no restrictions as to whether an actor's performance competes in the "Lead' or "Supporting" category.  The official rules state: "a performance by an actor or actress in any role shall be eligible for nomination either for the leading role or supporting role categories. If, however, all the dialogue has been dubbed by another actor, the performance shall not be eligible for award consideration."

The studio behind the movie still mounts "For Your Consideration" campaigns to try to sway Academy voting members to nominate actors in either the Lead or Supporting category.  

• Like 1
On 8/3/2021 at 1:00 AM, mabelnormand1930 said:

I never liked richard burton frankly.

I'm not a huge fan either. I liked him in Virginia Woolf, Spy and Iguana well enough - but not much else. I find him pretty boring - even when he's deliberately aggravating as in Look Back in Anger.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, 37kitties said:

I liked him in Virginia Woolf,

The movie is genius. The games George plays are witty, calculating and brutal. My favorite is Get the Guests. 

• Haha 1

How many of you have seen THE MEDUSA TOUCH (1978-UK)?  Has a good cast starring Richard Burton, Lino Ventura, Lee Remick, Harry Andrews and a number of familiar faces.  Burton plays novelist John Morlar.  At one point in the movie he says "The Queen . . . her parasites . . . I will bring the entire edifice down on their unworthy heads!" 

• Haha 1
On 8/2/2021 at 12:41 PM, Mima/Nana said:

I wish that when the people that pick these Burton movies had included one of his best like BECKETT instead of an ensemble movie like The Longest Day in which Burton for about 20 minutes! What is wrong with programmers at TCM?

Agreed. Rarely see The Spy Who Came In From The Cold, Equus or Prince of Players on Burton TCM runs, either.  Outstanding Burton performances in each of them, though.