Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Similar Sounding Movies


Recommended Posts

Many people are familiar with John Ford's Fort Apache, but does anyone remember Fort Apache, The Bronx with Paul Newman?  It is a movie like The New Centurians (sp?) that you rarely see on TV.  I had family that lived in the Bronx, and I remember how, over the years, the neighborhood where my Dad's mom and some family lived (and where he grew up for part of his life), changed.  I really would put both those movies on my TCM wish list.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Many people are familiar with John Ford's Fort Apache, but does anyone remember Fort Apache, The Bronx with Paul Newman?  It is a movie like The New Centurians (sp?) that you rarely see on TV.  I had family that lived in the Bronx, and I remember how, over the years, the neighborhood where my Dad's mom and some family lived (and where he grew up for part of his life), changed.  I really would put both those movies on my TCM wish list.

Can't say that I remember it well since it's been at least ten years since I've seen it but I do indeed remember Fort Apache the Bronx.  Had a bleak storyline as I recall but still a good watch.

You're right, it gets virtually no airplay anywhere. The time I watched it was the only time I'd ever seen it listed anywhere since it's initial release back in the '80s. 

I've watched Fort Apache many times. Part of John Ford's Cavalry trilogy along with She Wore a Yellow Ribbon and my favorite of the three Rio Grande. They show up on TCM fairly regularly.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

"Fort Apache The Bronx"  is a good movie as far as those cop movies of that era goes.  I always liked it and have a copy of it I made sometime in the '80's.  And still have it.

Sepiatone

🤨

Is this a "ant & grasshopper" Aesop's fable simile since we didn't have the foresight to stock up on films for the winter?

😅

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember FORT APACHE, THE BRONX.  One of those downbeat-style cop movies that shows various parts of NYC as a wasteland of abandoned buildings, dirty surroundings and crime.  I've got an aging Vestron Video of this movie.   (And whatever happened to actor Ken Wahl?  He just disappeared off the scene about 25 years ago.  I think he's still alive . . . but I've not checked his Wikipedia page lately!). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Citizen Ed said:

I can never remember if they Bogie/George Raft movie is Drive or Live.

Me neither. lol  I had to look it up again and Drive is Bogie/Raft, Live by Night is the Nicholas Ray film with Farley Granger.   There's nothing to make that stick in my memory though!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Katie_G said:

Me neither. lol  I had to look it up again and Drive is Bogie/Raft, Live by Night is the Nicholas Ray film with Farley Granger.   There's nothing to make that stick in my memory though!

Yea,  those two titles tend to confuse folks;   Both films are good with They Drive by Night,  a WB re-adaptation of the Davis\Muni Bordertown,  giving Ida Lupino a chance to go-nuts and chew up the scenery,   my favorite Raft performance and  the supporting WB contract players like Bogie, Sheridan,   Alan Hale, etc..

   They Live by Night is a film with a very melancholy vibe,  where one roots for the young couple knowing they are doomed from the start. 

They Drive by Night (1940) - IMDbThey Live by Night: Dream Journey | The Current | The Criterion Collection

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really like He Walked By Night, 1948, starring Richard Basehart.  This innovative L.A. noir is in my top ten favorites. It obviously influenced other filmmakers from L.A Confidential to Carol Reed's The Third Man and Jack Webb's Dragnet. Even Basehart's clever, ghost-like quality and self-doctoring of wounds reminded me of Anton Chigurh from No Country For Old Men. 

I also like the length of 1 hr. 18 min.  Full movie.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Katie_G said:

I really like He Walked By Night, 1948, starring Richard Basehart.  This innovative L.A. noir is in my top ten favorites. It obviously influenced other filmmakers from L.A Confidential to Carol Reed's The Third Man and Jack Webb's Dragnet. Even Basehart's clever, ghost-like quality and self-doctoring of wounds reminded me of Anton Chigurh from No Country For Old Men. 

I also like the length of 1 hr. 18 min.  Full movie.

 

Funny but I just watched Gunsmoke and Scott Brady was the guest star.    I was trying to remember films he was in and He Walked by Night was one.   A fine film as you note.

Brady is likely best known as Joan Crawford's discarded lover in Johnny Guitar;  The Dancing Kid.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

I remember FORT APACHE, THE BRONX.  One of those downbeat-style cop movies that shows various parts of NYC as a wasteland of abandoned buildings, dirty surroundings and crime.  I've got an aging Vestron Video of this movie.   (And whatever happened to actor Ken Wahl?  He just disappeared off the scene about 25 years ago.  I think he's still alive . . . but I've not checked his Wikipedia page lately!). 

After suffering a broken neck from a fall, he developed a drinking problem(to dull the pain) and after barely making it through the filming of the WISEGUYS reunion, he gave up acting for good.  I have no idea what he does for income now.

Sepiatone

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

After suffering a broken neck from a fall, he developed a drinking problem(to dull the pain) and after barely making it through the filming of the WISEGUYS reunion, he gave up acting for good.  I have no idea what he does for income now.

Sepiatone

He went into the online home decor business and word is he's making a pretty good living at it, Sepia.

Sure, while surfin' the net, don't tell me you've never come across..ahem...."Ken's Wahl Art .com"?!

(...btw, didn't ya always love those old Peabody and Sherman cartoons as a kid?...guess you can tell I always did anyway, can't ya)

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/3/2021 at 2:31 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

Yea,  those two titles tend to confuse folks;   Both films are good with They Drive by Night,  a WB re-adaptation of the Davis\Muni Bordertown,  giving Ida Lupino a chance to go-nuts and chew up the scenery,   my favorite Raft performance and  the supporting WB contract players like Bogie, Sheridan,   Alan Hale, etc..

   They Live by Night is a film with a very melancholy vibe,  where one roots for the young couple knowing they are doomed from the start. 

They Drive by Night (1940) - IMDbThey Live by Night: Dream Journey | The Current | The Criterion Collection

NOTHING whatsoever against Bogey & that Top Pick; its Certainly ANYthing this side of ugly "but" that bottom pick here is.. Really Quite BEAUTIFUL (imo)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

     Incidently.. Simeoultaneously A Hearty Thank You for That Bottom Pic as well.   I've Seen This Film (multiple times). LOVED it. But Couldnt Remember name of it.

 

      But, i'm dually curious and interested with respect to Your ".. doomed from the start ..." observation. 

    I (seem to) remember said film "having" Granger and Cathy in (a) car, and driving off/away Together as the curtains come down on this feature...

      I.    Would personally decidedly Not christen a film (with such an *interpretive?* ending) "doomed"..

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

       Honestly Please tell me im thinking of a completely different film with respect to aforementioned ending. And/Or that i have Unfortunately warped, twisted, and or otherwise misinterpreted Your meaning with said remark.

     I'll try and revisit this feature maybe within the next day or so

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Dargo said:

He went into the online home decor business and word is he's making a pretty good living at it, Sepia.

Sure, while surfin' the net, don't tell me you've never come across..ahem...."Ken's Wahl Art .com"?!

(...btw, didn't ya always love those old Peabody and Sherman cartoons as a kid?...guess you can tell I always did anyway, can't ya)

:D  Sure.  And who can blame us?  ;)   Not many people an resist any tale of a dog and his boy!  ;) 

Sepiatone

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A Shriek in the Night (1933)

A Scream in the Night (1935)

A Cry in the Night (1956)

Footsteps in the Night (1931)

Footsteps in the Dark (1941)

They are all decent movies in their own right but bear no great resemblance to each other and to remember which is which is often not easy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, SansFin said:

A Shriek in the Night (1933)  A Scream in the Night (1935)  A Cry in the Night (1956)  Footsteps in the Night (1931)

Footsteps in the Dark (1941)

They are all DECENT movies in their own right but bear no great resemblance to each other and to remember which is which is often not easy.

So then none of 'em star Peter Sellers as Chief Inspector Clouseau, I take it, eh Sans?!  ;)

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

© 2022 Turner Classic Movies Inc. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...