Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

While im a smidgen early.     If i dont post this Birthday Card now.. it will slip my mind.

Happy, Ninety-Eighth Birthday, to Madam Hagen. (August 3rd, 1923. Chicago Illinois.)

The Lady with (imo) "that" Unique, Pretty Smile.

(And) Very True.   Ms Hagen is (Unfortunately) no longer with us.

But Her Spirit. (Along with that Incredibly Cutely Annoying squeeky voice of Yours Madam: a la Singin' In the Rain. Lol) ..Lives On.

Happy Birthday Doll Conovan.  You Are Gone.

But You Are NOT Forgotten, Madam.

• Like 1

THE ASPHALT JUNGLE,  MAKE ROOM FOR DADDY and PANIC IN YEAR ZERO come to mind when the name JEAN HAGEN comes up.  Actually(he said while pulling on the flameproof suit), while I thought it was OK, I never thought that very highly of SINGIN' IN THE RAIN to care much about who was in it outside of the three leads, and maybe PHIL SILVERS.  And when it's scheduled, I always try to time it so that I can tune into it just as the "Make 'em laugh" segment comes on.  The only part of the flick I really liked.

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1
35 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

THE ASPHALT JUNGLE,  MAKE ROOM FOR DADDY and PANIC IN YEAR ZERO come to mind when the name JEAN HAGEN comes up.  Actually(he said while pulling on the flameproof suit), while I thought it was OK, I never thought that very highly of SINGIN' IN THE RAIN to care much about who was in it outside of the three leads, and maybe PHIL SILVERS.  And when it's scheduled, I always try to time it so that I can tune into it just as the "Make 'em laugh" segment comes on.  The only part of the flick I really liked.

Sepiatone

Ok.. Call me Stupid and Blind (but Please. Dont Call Me Madam. lol); but Philip Silvers Is In Singin' In the Rain ? ???        "Where", Please. ?

Maybe i myself need to revisit that Musical Again, if nothing else to find out where he's "hiding' ..

1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

I liked her in Carbine Williams. for some reason she reminds me of Nancy Olson.

Kinda Interesting, maybe a bit ironic perhaps You bring up the LookaLike Thing.

She's (Madam Hagen); is Sitting in a Cab/Auto with Farley Granger.. (Side Street).

She Looks (a TON) Like Ms Nannette Fabray, (while) in that auto imo.

Here's a question for discussion: did Jean Hagen damage her career irreparably by leaving Make Room for Daddy at the end of the 1955-56 season? Her film career after that was nothing like before she became Danny Thomas' sitcom wife. I often wonder if she made the right decision to leave a show that was destined to run for another nine seasons.

And , btw, no one mentioned THE SHAGGY DOG (1959), the first Disney movie I ever saw at the movies.

• Thanks 1
47 minutes ago, Aritosthenes said:

Ok.. Call me Stupid and Blind (but Please. Dont Call Me Madam. lol); but Philip Silvers Is In Singin' In the Rain ? ???        "Where", Please. ?

Maybe i myself need to revisit that Musical Again, if nothing else to find out where he's "hiding' ..

Looks like someone confused two different Gene Kelly films;   Philp Silvers is in Cover Girl with Rita Hayworth (1944). 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Looks like someone confused two different Gene Kelly films;   Philp Silvers is in Cover Girl with Rita Hayworth (1944). 

I thought it,  might be something, possibly along those lines.

But i didnt wish to assume a thing

2 hours ago, skipd55 said:

Here's a question for discussion: did Jean Hagen damage her career irreparably by leaving Make Room for Daddy at the end of the 1955-56 season? Her film career after that was nothing like before she became Danny Thomas' sitcom wife. I often wonder if she made the right decision to leave a show that was destined to run for another nine seasons.

And , btw, no one mentioned THE SHAGGY DOG (1959), the first Disney movie I ever saw at the movies.

Hmm..

Good Stuff.

While i would definitely assume (the collective) us would have opinions and thoughts on that matter. Id be inclined to posit that; the success, productivity et al of the remainder of Ms Hagen's career would (strictly ?) be within Her own discretion.

39 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Jean Hagen is also in Adam's Rib.  From what someone said on the board several months ago, Danny Thomas fired Jean Hagen saying something like she smelled.  I first saw her in Singin' in the Rain (she is so funny).

Here is what Wiki has:  (nothing about smell):

By 1953, she had joined the cast of the television sitcom Make Room for Daddy. For her portrayal as the first wife of Danny Thomas, Hagen received three Emmy Award nominations but after three seasons, she grew dissatisfied with the role and left the series. Thomas, who also produced the show, reportedly did not appreciate Hagen's departure, and her character was killed off rather than recast, the first TV character to be killed off in a family sitcom.[citation needed] Marjorie Lord was cast a year later as Danny's second wife and played opposite Thomas successfully for the remainder of the series.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Jean Hagen is also in Adam's Rib.  From what someone said on the board several months ago, Danny Thomas fired Jean Hagen saying something like she smelled.  I first saw her in Singin' in the Rain (she is so funny).

In General, what was Hagen's and Thomas's Relationship (in the loosest, broadest sense) Like i wonder (?)

I had always thought it was .. symbiotically (so to speak) amicable and cordial between the two. Though Danny Always seemed like an odd chap imo.

That said though.. Being fired (regardless of reason and cause), isnt something to write home about

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Here is what Wiki has:  (nothing about smell):

By 1953, she had joined the cast of the television sitcom Make Room for Daddy. For her portrayal as the first wife of Danny Thomas, Hagen received three Emmy Award nominations but after three seasons, she grew dissatisfied with the role and left the series. Thomas, who also produced the show, reportedly did not appreciate Hagen's departure, and her character was killed off rather than recast, the first TV character to be killed off in a family sitcom.[citation needed] Marjorie Lord was cast a year later as Danny's second wife and played opposite Thomas successfully for the remainder of the series.

Had no idea about (the extent and ramifications of) that.

Thanks.

The producers of Make Room for Daddy explained Jean Hagen's character's absence during the 1956-57 season by saying that she was visiting her sick mother. This storyline was continued for the entire season, so there may have been some speculation that Hagen would return to the show (I'm only guessing). Anyway, by the start of the 1957-58 season, Hagen's character was declared officially dead, and Danny Thomas was now a widower with two young kids to bring up. Marjorie Lord was introduced during that season as a potential love interest for Thomas, and the pair eventually married. But I still can't help thinking Hagen made a mistake in leaving the show, no matter what her differences with Thomas may have been. I understand she was interested in doing live theatre as well as movies, and didn't want to be tied down by a commitment to television. But the movie roles she got after Make Room for Daddy were mainly as housewives or secretaries anyway.

• Thanks 1
On 8/3/2021 at 12:38 PM, Aritosthenes said:

Ach!  Well....

You should call ME stupid instead.  ;)   :huh:

Probably did get my Kelly flicks confused.  

And according to WIKI  Hagen left "Make room for Daddy" claiming she was dissatisfied with the role.  But, when seeing old reruns of the show with her in it I never noticed any dissatisfaction  on her part.  And with her winning three Emmys for that role, it's hard to reckon what she found dissatisfying.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

The show (which changed titles from Make Room for Daddy to The Danny Thomas Show at the same time of Hagen's departure) was just a middling success (not in the Top 30) while on ABC.    ABC held on to it for another year.  It moved to CBS after I Love Lucy ended, taking its time slot.   Ratings improved with the network and time change, and the new storylines available due to the blended family.

From what I've read, Hagen's contract was 3 years long.  She chose not to renew.  IMDb trivia has an item that indicates Thomas didn't care for Hagen at all, and she was hired over his objection.  I find the  statement about her hiring odd, since Thomas' company (Marterto, named for his 3 children) owned the show.   Seems like he would have final say on all matters, even though he wasn't a credited producer.

She was nominated for an Emmy 3 times (2 were in the same year - 1956), but never won.

As a kid, I got her confused with Rosemary DeCamp.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Ach!  Well....

You should call ME stupid instead.  ;)   :huh:

Probably did get my Kelly flicks confused.  

And according to WIKI  Hagen left "Make room for Daddy" claiming she was dissatisfied with the role.  But, when seeing old reruns of the show with her in it I never noticed any dissatisfaction  on her part.  And with her winning three Emmys for that role, it's hard to reckon what she found dissatisfying.

Sepiatone

You? Stupid ,??.?

Nope.

• Thanks 2