Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

James Bond Trivia

cinemaman

Thanks, Peebs!

OK, here's another two-part quiz for you, Peebs - good luck to cinemaman and BunnyWhit as well:

This James Bond novel kicked off what would later become known as the Blofeld Trilogy. Without giving too much away, Bond goes on a snoop in both this book - and its subsequent movie adaptation - which was inspired by what real-life incident? (The film's snoop sees Bond with a small camera if I correctly recall.) The genesis of the novel, in fact, may have been entirely germinated by this international incident...

1.  The first Blofeld book is Thunderball

2.  Again, not sure about this one but here's what I read: 

In 1956 ex-Royal Navy frogman Lionel "Buster" Crabb, working for MI6, examined the hull of a Soviet ship that brought  Khrushchev to Great Britain.  While spying on the ship "Ordzhonikidze", Crabb disappeared in Portsmouth Harbor and was never seen again.  A year after he vanished a headless, handless body washed up in Chichester.  According to the article below, in 2007 a retired Russian diver claimed he cut Crabb's throat in an underwater fight after catching him attaching a mine to the warship.

Frogman files show blunders surrounding Cdr 'Buster' Crabb's death - BBC News

3 hours ago, Peebs said:

1.  The first Blofeld book is Thunderball

2.  Again, not sure about this one but here's what I read: 

In 1956 ex-Royal Navy frogman Lionel "Buster" Crabb, working for MI6, examined the hull of a Soviet ship that brought  Khrushchev to Great Britain.  While spying on the ship "Ordzhonikidze", Crabb disappeared in Portsmouth Harbor and was never seen again.  A year after he vanished a headless, handless body washed up in Chichester.  According to the article below, in 2007 a retired Russian diver claimed he cut Crabb's throat in an underwater fight after catching him attaching a mine to the warship.

Frogman files show blunders surrounding Cdr 'Buster' Crabb's death - BBC News

Good morning, Peebs, and congrats!

The thread is yours again...

• Like 1

Thanks NoShear!  Another interesting question that took a little digging.  I hadn't heard about Crabb's story but I can see how it would inspire Fleming.

Next:  Which Bond theme song reached the highest on the charts, the only Bond song to hit #1? 

2 minutes ago, Peebs said:

Thanks NoShear!  Another interesting question that took a little digging.  I hadn't heard about Crabb's story but I can see how it would inspire Fleming.

Next:  Which Bond theme song reached the highest on the charts, the only Bond song to hit #1? 

I'm going with my favorite one: Wings' "Live And Let Die"!

• Thanks 1

Just now, NoShear said:

I'm going with my favorite one: Wing's "Live And Let Die"!

That would have been my guess, too. However, according to Billboard "Live and Let Die" only reached #2.  The Bond song to hit #1 was from a later Roger Moore movie.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Peebs said:

That would have been my guess, too. However, according to Billboard "Live and Let Die" only reached #2.  The Bond song to hit #1 was from a later Roger Moore movie.

Oh, OK: Duran Duran's "A View to A Kill"!??

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Peebs said:

Yes, that's it!  Good job, NoShear.  Your turn.

Thanks, Peebs! I think I've tied you with that one, but I concede you the top podium as it was not a clean one...

Speaking of podiums, I'm going to name a pair of sport movies here, and you give me their corresponding set of Bond films:

DOWNHILL RACER (1969)

ICE CASTLES (1978)

4 minutes ago, cinemaman said:

For  Downhill  Race  it  is  either   On  Her  Majesty's  Secret  Service  1969  or  The  Spy  Who  Loved  Me  1977    For  Ice  Castles  it is  For  Eyes  Only  1981. Thanks

Thanks for your response and for the thread, cinemaman: "OHMSS" all the way and, yes, For Your Eyes Only!

I turn this thread back over to the man who began it...

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, cinemaman said:

In  the  films ,  The  Spy  Who  Loved  Me  and  Moonraker  please  name  the  actor  who  played  Jaws. This  actor  played  an  great  henchman  to Dr  Loveless  on  Wild  Wild  West.

Richard Kael

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cinemaman said:

That  is  the  correct  answer.  Richard  Kiel  is  the  acto  who  played  Jaws  and  Voltaire .  Good  work  NoShear,  the  thread  is  yours.  You  have  great knowledge  of  Ian  Fleming  novels . Thanks

Thank you, cinemaman, and again, thanks for the thread!

Going to get something to eat as I think of the next round...

39 minutes ago, cinemaman said:

That  is  the  correct  answer.  Richard  Kiel  is  the  acto  who  played  Jaws  and  Voltaire .  Good  work  NoShear,  the  thread  is  yours.  You  have  great knowledge  of  Ian  Fleming  novels . Thanks

Ian Fleming, who drank and smoked not unlike his superspy, was not a well man by the arrival of the year 1962 and only had about two and a half years to live...

A cold setting, but not a cold character: Presumably hearing the Rolex of life ticking louder, he gave James Bond more expressiveness than his spy had previously been permitted when he wrote On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1963) during the early part of that '62 as the first James Bond film proper was being shot. 

Similarly, the film adaptation of "OHMSS" featured a more introspective James Bond than had previously been seen on the silver screen and a new James Bond as well, George Lazenby. The brief heir to Sean Connery's by-then iconic character, Lazenby's Bond is rugged but thoughtful and, if I correctly recall, has a nostalgic moment early on during the movie which emphasizes a new, less flip James Bond. Bond is seen nostalgically encountering at least two props culled from at least two earlier James Bond films: Name them!

For clarification: I only recall these two items, but there might be more, so one I remember is seen in the first Bond flick proper, and the other I'm looking for is seen in the second movie.

Knife   from  Dr  No      Watch   From  Russia  With  Love    Breathing  Tube  or  Device  from  Thunderball.  I  remember  they showed  film  clips  in  the  hour  glass  of  past  films in  opening  credits  sequence  in  the  movie. Thanks

1 hour ago, cinemaman said:

Re: "Knife   from  Dr  No      Watch   From  Russia  With  Love    Breathing  Tube  or  Device  from  Thunderball.  I  remember  they showed  film  clips  in  the  hour  glass  of  past  films in  opening  credits  sequence  in  the  movie. Thanks"

I'm interested in seeing the scene yet again for the THUNDERBALL prop - thanks, cinemaman!

It's yours...

• Like 1

The  television  series  The  Avengers  has  contributed   a  lot to  James  Bond  movies.  Please  name  the  Avengers  stars  in  these  movies  Goldfinger  ,   On  Her  Majesty's  Secret  Service  (  two  Avengers  stars  in this  film)   and   A  View  to a  Kill  .  There  should  be  an  total  of  four  Avengers  stars  in  these films. Thanks

17 minutes ago, cinemaman said:

The  television  series  The  Avengers  has  contributed   a  lot to  James  Bond  movies.  Please  name  the  Avengers  stars  in  these  movies  Goldfinger  ,   On  Her  Majesty's  Secret  Service  (  two  Avengers  stars  in this  film)   and   A  View  to a  Kill  .  There  should  be  an  total  of  four  Avengers  stars  in  these films. Thanks

Honor Blackman, Diana Rigg, James Bree and Patrick Macnee

• Like 1

That  is  the  correct  answer.  You  can  also  add  the  name  of  Joanna  Lumley  to that  list.  Joanna  Lumley  was  an  member  of  the  New  Avengers.  Good  work  and  the  thread  is  yours.  Thanks

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, cinemaman said:

Re: "That  is  the  correct  answer.  You  can  also  add  the  name  of  Joanna  Lumley  to that  list.  Joanna  Lumley  was  an  member  of  the  New  Avengers.  Good  work  and  the  thread  is  yours.  Thanks"

Thank you, cinemaman.