Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

James Bond Trivia

cinemaman

As this next THUNDERBALL twofer of mine is heavily reliant  on familiarity with the 1961 novel(ization), I'm going to allow for more latitude with the pair of answers...

Unlike the 1965 adaptation, James Bond and the aquatic crew which is assembled around the superspy to battle Emilio Largo's scuba squad are hampered when it comes to their underwater gear, having only the element of surprise(s) in their favor. What two pieces of equipment are Largo's men armed to the gills?

If only familiar with the '65 film, consider the underwater finale equipment to help you come up with the two pieces of gear.

13 minutes ago, BunnyWhit said:

Re: "How about submersible personal watercraft, and lots and lots of dart guns?"

Close enough, BunnyWhit, and glad to see your return to this thread.

Unlike the film, not even James Bond possesses propulsion gear which Largo's literary crew are all furnished. Also, Bond and the USNavy team have to festoon "spearguns" by attaching switchblades to sawed-off broom handles!

It's your thread...

Thanks, NoShear. Who needs gear when you have ingenuity?

Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang (1968) was a loose adaptation of Fleming's book of the same name, published in late 1964. The movie features two actors who played Bond movie characters. Can you name the characters and their respective Bond films?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BunnyWhit said:

Thanks, NoShear. Who needs gear when you have ingenuity?

Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang (1968) was a loose adaptation of Fleming's book of the same name, published in late 1964. The movie features two actors who played Bond movie characters. Can you name the characters and their respective Bond films?

Gert Frobe as Goldfinger and desmond Llewelyn as Q

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, BunnyWhit said:

Yep. Frӧbe played Baron Bomburst in Chitty, and Llewelyn played Coggins.

Go for it, NoShear.

Thanks, BunnyWhit.

Taking off on your James Bond drop into Chitty..., I thought of a diecast toy(s) company which was strategically placed in a Bond movie's car chase: Name both the company and the film! 

There's an ad for Corgi Models in On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969).

The Aston Martin DB5 from Goldfinger (1964) has been Corgi's best selling model since its issue in 1965. I also find it interesting that Corgi's first venture into creating merchandising models for movies/television was with the Volvo P1800 as seen in The Saint (1962-1969), starring none other than Roger Moore. (I actually had to look up the "Volvo P1800"; didn't know that model number.)

Corgi-models-ads-in-On-Her-Majestys-Secr

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BunnyWhit said:

There's an ad for Corgi Models in On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969).

The Aston Martin DB5 from Goldfinger (1964) has been Corgi's best selling model since its issue in 1965. I also find it interesting that Corgi's first venture into creating merchandising models for movies/television was with the Volvo P1800 as seen in The Saint (1962-1969), starring none other than Roger Moore. (I actually had to look up the "Volvo P1800"; didn't know that model number.)

Corgi-models-ads-in-On-Her-Majestys-Secr

Awesome, BunnyWhit! This thread is deservedly yours...

Please  name  the  singers  from  James  Bond  films  songs.   1.  All  Time  High  from  Octopussy  2.  Nobody  Does It  Better  from  The  Spy  Who Loved  Me  3.  For  Yours  Eyes  Only  theme song  from  that  movie  4.  The  Man  With the  Golden  Gun  theme  song  from that movie.  5.  Goldfinger  theme song  from that movie. Thanks

• Like 2

Thanks, cinemaman!

Next:  Several Bond theme songs have been nominated for Best Song at the Oscars.  However, only two have won. 

Can you name at least one of the Oscar winning Bond songs? ( One song is fairly forgettable, IMO. )

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Peebs said:

Thanks, cinemaman!

Next:  Several Bond theme songs have been nominated for Best Song at the Oscars.  However, only two have won. 

Can you name at least one of the Oscar winning Bond songs? ( One song is fairly forgettable, IMO. )

Skyfall and Spectre?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Peebs said:

Wow! Yes, that's correct.  Adele sang Skyfall and Sam Smith performed Spectre's.  Well done, NoShear!  Your turn.

Thanks, Peebs! (I assume the forgettable of the two for you is "Writing's on the Wall".)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peebs said:

Yep, correct!  Bonus points for "Writing's on the Wall" which I don't think I could hum I'm if my life depended on it.

Yes, I was just writing this one as my guess to the forgettable of the two for you.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Peebs said:

Wow! Yes, that's correct.  Adele sang Skyfall and Sam Smith performed Spectre's.  Well done, NoShear!  Your turn.

I got the Steven Jay Rubin book on the Bond films th?id=OP.BjU7ZMryHOkwsg474C474&o=5&pid=21.1&bw=0&bc=FFFFFF&w=114&h=114 many years ago... 

If I correctly recall, Rubin pointed out a number of similarities between a pair of Bond movies,  GOLDFINGER and Diamond are Forever, some of which were no coincidence - the idea being that the producers were trying to recapture the earlier success of James Bond films such as GOLDFINGER if I'm not mistaken. I can think of about five parallel elements that exist between the two movies: Try to name at least three...

• Like 1

Goldfinger  was  smuggling  gold,  Blofeld  was doing  that  to  diamonds.  In  fact,  the  earlier  planning  stages  Gert  Frobe  was  going  to be  brought  back  to  play Goldfinger's  twin  brother.  Goldfinger  director   Guy  Hamilton  was  brought  back  to direct  Diamonds  Are  Forever.  They  had  Shirley  Bassey  sing  the  theme  song Diamonds  Are  Forever, as   she  did  for  Goldfinger .  The   producers  wanted  to  create  the  feel  of  Goldfinger   and  transport it  to  Diamonds  Are  Forever.  The  last  films  had  a  drop off  in  the  box office.  Goldfinger  had  an  nuclear  bomb  set  to destroy  Fort Knox  thus  the  economy .  Blofeld  wanted  to  use  satellites  with  energy  beams  to  extort  the  world. I hope  this      is   what  you  are  looking  for.  Thanks

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, cinemaman said:

Goldfinger  was  smuggling  gold,  Blofeld  was doing  that  to  diamonds.  In  fact,  the  earlier  planning  stages  Gert  Frobe  was  going  to be  brought  back  to  play Goldfinger's  twin  brother.  Goldfinger  director   Guy  Hamilton  was  brought  back  to direct  Diamonds  Are  Forever.  They  had  Shirley  Bassey  sing  the  theme  song Diamonds  Are  Forever, as   she  did  for  Goldfinger .  The   producers  wanted  to  create  the  feel  of  Goldfinger   and  transport it  to  Diamonds  Are  Forever.  The  last  films  had  a  drop off  in  the  box office.  Goldfinger  had  an  nuclear  bomb  set  to destroy  Fort Knox  thus  the  economy .  Blofeld  wanted  to  use  satellites  with  energy  beams  to  extort  the  world. I hope  this      is   what  you  are  looking  for.  Thanks

Thanks, cinemaman - you provided more than necessary! If I may add: Sean Connery returned, and laser technology factored in both.

This thread is returned to its owner...

• Like 2