Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

When you wake up in the middle of a good movie

TopBilled

Okay this may sound funny. Sometimes if I have insomnia, I go into the living room, find a movie on YouTube and let it play with sound dialed down to 5 or 6 on the remote, so it will lull me back to sleep.

This happened last night.

When a movie finishes on YouTube, it randomly selects another title to start playing next.

So I fell asleep then woke up two and a half hours later in the middle of a movie I would not ordinarily have selected.

But gosh, was it well-acted and funny.

It was PRUDENCE AND THE PILL (1968). I really love how well Deborah Kerr and David Niven play off each other in their scenes. Two pros!

Screen Shot 2021-08-07 at 7.45.42 AM

• Like 2

The same happened to me the other night TB. I had TCM on and fell asleep and then awoke about 1/3 of the way into The Legend of Lylah Clare. But this film was not wonderful. It was awful but in a fascinating kind of way. The director was renowned. The actors were in demand at the time. Why did any of them get involved in this? Why are all of the actresses like Natasha from the Rocky and Bullwinkle show doing a bad Greta Garbo imitation? How WILL this thing end? It kept me up for an hour and a half and then when I got home that night from work I had to watch the whole thing from the beginning  on TCM on Demand to get the context. There has to be a story there. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

The same happened to me the other night TB. I had TCM on and fell asleep and then awoke about 1/3 of the way into The Legend of Lylah Clare. But this film was not wonderful. It was awful but in a fascinating kind of way. The director was renowned. The actors were in demand at the time. Why did any of them get involved in this? Why are all of the actresses like Natasha from the Rocky and Bullwinkle show doing a bad Greta Garbo imitation? How WILL this thing end? It kept me up for an hour and a half and then when I got home that night from work I had to watch the whole thing from the beginning  on TCM on Demand to get the context. There has to be a story there. 

I dunno. Maybe because all the actresses in that movie might had previously taken voice lessons from June Foray?

(...just a guess here, of course)  ;)

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

This happened to me during The Thomas Crowne Affair (the original one).  The Legend of Lylah Clare was laughably bad.

Now for ME, there always seems to be one particular point in two OTHER of McQueen's flicks that tends to wake me up out of a deep sleep somehow.

The car chase scene in Bullitt and the motorcycle chase/fence jumping scene in The Great Escape.

(...but I understand I'm not the only gearhead out there that this often happens to)  ;)

• Like 2

Who ever wakes up in the middle of a movie?

For some reason, no matter how long you sleep, you always wake up for the END CREDITS!!  🤔

(I used to fall asleep in theaters when we had all-night festivals, and it was always the end credits!)

• Haha 1

I've never done this for movies, because I get too tuned in to them, but I frequently do it with podcasts, many of which can be found on YouTube with a still image on the screen while the sound plays.. Almost every night, as a matter of fact. I'll lie down, close my eyes, sometimes get dialed in to what's being said, but more often than not, the droning tones of the participants hypnotize me. I keep autoplay off, so it's usually the silence after one of the pocasts is over that will awaken me again. Many nights, I'll play six or seven podcasts in one night and sleep through at least part of each one.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I've never done this for movies, because I get too tuned in to them, but I frequently do it with podcasts, many of which can be found on YouTube with a still image on the screen while the sound plays.. Almost every night, as a matter of fact. I'll lie down, close my eyes, sometimes get dialed in to what's being said, but more often than not, the droning tones of the participants hypnotize me. I keep autoplay off, so it's usually the silence after one of the pocasts is over that will awaken me again. Many nights, I'll play six or seven podcasts in one night and sleep through at least part of each one.

I didn't realize there was a way to turn autoplay off.

3 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I didn't realize there was a way to turn autoplay off.

There's a button or icon or whatever you call it just below the viewing screen on the right side that looks like a very short play-bar with a button that looks like a play button on the right end of it.  You can slide that button over to the left, and it will change from a play button to a pause button, meaning autoplay has been turned off. If you've pulled up somebody's channel or a group of similarly themed videos, you may also have to manipulate an autoplay icon at the top of the box containing those videos.

• Thanks 1

I usually FALL ASLEEP halfway through a good movie, but manage to wake up just as it ends.  Which really only annoys me if it's a movie I haven't seen before, but I find fascinating.  But sadly, not fascinating enough to keep my tired old a$$ awake all the way through it.   :D  It's all those nocturnal visits to the loo all night that does it.  :angry:

Sepiatone

i have never fallen asleep during a movie. Nor while reading, Nor while listening to an audio book. I get sleepy though. I just turn off the damn thing, whatever it is, and to to bed. I would never put on a movie to lull me to asleep, with all that talking? I have never had the pleasure, if that's what it is, of waking up with a moving going on and marveling over it.

I know, I have a boring life.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, AndreaDoria said:

Never in the middle of a movie, but often while reading -- at which point my brain takes over and continuous the story in my dream -- worst writing ever.

Your dreams are probably better than the books. You never know what crazy things will turn up in a dream.

Have you ever woken up and said, "I'm not going to finish this book. It could never top my dream."

:D

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I'm at the age where I need a half hour down after supper if I'm going to be awake enough by bedtime, and I've discovered that listening to the YouTube simulcast of the network news with eyes closed is a good half-hour "audiobook" to nap to, AND keep up with the first few headlines.  And, since there are no end credits, I often find myself autoplayed into the next one by the time I wake up.

I tried using the soothing tones of the all-Bob Ross channel on PlutoTV, but then I got too interested in the show.

screen-shot-2020-04-07-at-1-46-21-pm-158

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings