Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Meh,..it's not the same.

How do you feel about replacements in teams and acts? 

As an example, my father (who's 91) is a big Stooges fan and will watch the Stooges with Curly religiously. Then, will watch most of the Shemp ones. But, won't go near the "Curly" Joe Besser or DeRita ones.

Does shows or characters make a break a movie or TV show? 

I loved to watch "The Dukes of Hazzard" as a kid and had my eyes always on the General Lee. Best car ever to me! But when Schneider and Wopat left, I couldn't even take Coy and Vance in the General. I quit watching until John and Tom came back. 

So does the comedy of the Stooges count? Or does it have to be Curly? Does Daisy, Uncle Jesse, Boss Hogg, etc. count? Or it just isn't the same without Bo and Luke?

Discuss...

It varies. I love the George Burns and Gracie Allen Show. Although Fred Clark, whom I like, was the original Harry Morton, I actually prefer Larry Keating, who replaced him. (Hal March played the role early on, but I don't remember seeing any of those episodes.)

14 minutes ago, 37kitties said:

I stopped watching Bewitched when Dick York left and was replaced by Dick Sargent.

I recall a discussion between myself and my mom on the subject. Samantha Stevens was one of the early ideals that I measured available girls in class by. I had become conditioned to accept the first Dick, there was no way after clearing him out I was going to accept a second Dick. 

My mother gently pointed out we were just accustomed to the previous Dick, maybe we just don't like the new Dick because we are used to the old one. The guilt worked, I felt bad about not being welcoming to the new Dick. After a few months I decided new Dick wasn't worthy after all, of Samantha or me, so Ann Margret became the new ideal. The best part, no Dick-s to deal with!

I loved Sarah Chalke when she played Eliot Reid on SCRUBS, but when she played Becky Conner on ROSEANNE as a replacement for Lecy Goranson , I thought she was all wrong. She had no humor and no quirks. I don't know if the role was intentionally written that way, but for me she dragged the episodes along in which she was featured. Her Eliot character on SCRUBS was so funny. 

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, 37kitties said:

I stopped watching Bewitched when Dick York left and was replaced by Dick Sargent.

Well, Dick York's back when out so he had to retire from acting.

So the only other alternatives were either , Sam as a single mother (which would never happen in those days), or no show at all. I thought the new Dick was just fine.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Moe Howard said:

I recall a discussion between myself and my mom on the subject. Samantha Stevens was one of the early ideals that I measured available girls in class by. I had become conditioned to accept the first Dick, there was no way after clearing him out I was going to accept a second Dick. 

My mother gently pointed out we were just accustomed to the previous Dick, maybe we just don't like the new Dick because we are used to the old one. The guilt worked, I felt bad about not being welcoming to the new Dick. After a few months I decided new Dick wasn't worthy after all, of Samantha or me, so Ann Margret became the new ideal. The best part, no Dick-s to deal with!

Elizabeth sure was a nice looking woman alright. I saw her on an old episode of Boris Karloff's Thriller (or was it Alfred Hitchcock Presents?) 

Well anyway, it was a 60 minute one.

Oh, man, was she fine.

After James Garner left Maverick he was replaced by Roger Moore. Not good. Moore left the show after one season and was replaced for a very short while by Robert Colbert (who dressed like Garner's Brett with the name Brent Maverick). Who did they think they're kidding? Even worse.

Diana Rigg's departure from The Avengers killed all interest I had in that series when she was replaced by Linda Thorsen.

The succession of actors who have played James Bond reached a low point, I feel, during the Timothy Dalton-Pierce Brosnan days. While Daniel Craig isn't bad, the height of the series to me has always been with the original film Bond, Sir Sean.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, TomJH said:

Diana Rigg's departure from The Avengers killed all interest I had in that series when she was replaced by Linda Thorsen.

There were so many other things wrong with the Tara King years, I didn't mind Linda Thorson.  She was a snippy know-it-all, but at least she was different enough as a character to know not to try to directly fill Emma's kinky-boots.  Now, "Mother", OTOH...  😝

And on other shows, I have learned not (ahemlorna) to debate the reason why they should NOT have replaced goofy, offbeat Joel Hodgson with nasty, movie-resentful school-jock-bully Michael J. Nelson on Mystery Science Theater 3000.

SO glad you started up this thread here, Kid! You see, I've had the following on my mind about this very sort'a thing for almost 60 years now. Yeah, yeah, shows ya just what an old f@rt I am, doesn't it.

Well anyway...

When they changed the actress who played the original Pickles Sorrell (Buddy's wife) on 'The Dick Van Dick Show', I JUST could never quite get that into that program as I had before!

I'm kiddin' here, of course. 

(...although I sure wish I was also kiddin' about bein' that "old f@rt" here too!) 

;)

• Haha 2

On Mrs. Brown's Boys, a rather lowbrow yet sometimes hilarious Irish/British series, one of Mrs. Brown's sons (Rory) left the series after a few seasons. He was replaced by another actor, but first they scripted plastic surgery for the departing character, which became an endless source of jokes. The old Rory was better.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtXMOTtBpKpKibY00Pvf9

14730873-low_res-mrs-browns-boys-christm

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQWylzSqwJ0WwmNy8P0Vpe

3 hours ago, Vautrin said:

I prefer York to Sargent too, but I had to laugh each time York was called handsome.

At least in that category I think Sargent wins. 

Too bad there couldn't have been a throwback in time combination of Sargent and York in the role.

Sergeant York Blu-ray Review | High Def Digest

"I declare I wish Samantha was here now. One twitch of her nose and them Germans, they'd all be'a gone."

• Haha 7
5 hours ago, TomJH said:

After James Garner left Maverick he was replaced by Roger Moore. Not good. Moore left the show after one season and was replaced for a very short while by Robert Colbert (who dressed like Garner's Brett with the name Brent Maverick). Who did they think they're kidding? Even worse.

The succession of actors who have played James Bond reached a low point, I feel, during the Timothy Dalton-Pierce Brosnan days. While Daniel Craig isn't bad, the height of the series to me has always been with the original film Bond, Sir Sean.

Don't mean this in a Haughty, Peacock Sorta Way: for me, with Respect to the 007 Thing: Up Until P. Brosnan and Beyond, I Personally Like What Each and Every One of Them Brings to the Table. Connery, Lazenby, Moore, Dalton; Even Niven imo.   Each Brings Their (Very) Own  .. Nuances and Personality "Into" the Role.    > Brosnan do as Well.. Not - to the Nth Degree though imo.

Would Personally LOVE to See Joaquin Phoenix Step Into the Role.  But (Personally i) think thats (most) likely a pipe dream.

3 hours ago, TomJH said:

Too bad there couldn't have been a throwback in time combination of Sargent and York in the role.

Sergeant York Blu-ray Review | High Def Digest

"I declare I wish Samantha was here now. One twitch of her nose and them Germans, they'd all be'a gone."

Gary was certainly better looking that either actor, though I doubt his usual screen persona of aw shucks

humility would work in a sitcom. 

-Honey, I'm a witch.

-Yup.

-I can do magic.

-Yup.

-You don't mind that I'm a witch?

-Nope.

• Haha 3

Alley Christie and Woody Harrelson were successful replacements in Cheers. I can be persnickety about this sort of thing but this went smooth. Surprisingly because Shelly Long and Nicholas Colasantos were effective and popular. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, laffite said:

Alley Christie and Woody Harrelson were successful replacements in Cheers. I can be persnickety about this sort of thing but this went smooth. Surprisingly because Shelly Long and Nicholas Colasantos were effective and popular. 

Kirstie Alley worked because Cheers basically became a different show when Shelley Long left. And let's face it, by 1987 the Sam and Diane saga had been played well but played out. Then Sam went back to his old skirt chasing persona and Alley as his new boss was both his foil and his sexual target. I don't know why they had to turn Alley into a bumbling incompetent - was it 1989? Can't remember. But I think it was after a couple of seasons. 

Shelley Long actually left to pursue a film career and she made less than stellar choices. But her exit kept Cheers from turning into season 4 of Moonlighting. 

Or am I making so many antiquated cultural references here that I am rendered incomprehensible? 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
19 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

Well, Dick York's back when out so he had to retire from acting.

So the only other alternatives were either , Sam as a single mother (which would never happen in those days), or no show at all. I thought the new Dick was just fine.

There were single mothers and fathers on 60s TV sitcoms, so Bewitched would not be breaking new ground here.  The Andy Griffith Show, My Three Sons, The Lucy Show (with a widow and divorcee), Bachelor Father, Julia, Family Affair are just a few off the top of my head.  And going back to the 50s, Make Room for Daddy, Danny Thomas' character was a widower, albeit for a very short time. 

22 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

Or am I making so many antiquated cultural references here that I am rendered incomprehensible? 

I wouldn't worry about that. I don't think there's too many teeny-boppers at this forum.

20 hours ago, KidChaplin said:

How do you feel about replacements in teams and acts? 

As an example, my father (who's 91) is a big Stooges fan and will watch the Stooges with Curly religiously. Then, will watch most of the Shemp ones. But, won't go near the "Curly" Joe Besser or DeRita ones.

Does shows or characters make a break a movie or TV show? 

I loved to watch "The Dukes of Hazzard" as a kid and had my eyes always on the General Lee. Best car ever to me! But when Schneider and Wopat left, I couldn't even take Coy and Vance in the General. I quit watching until John and Tom came back. 

So does the comedy of the Stooges count? Or does it have to be Curly? Does Daisy, Uncle Jesse, Boss Hogg, etc. count? Or it just isn't the same without Bo and Luke?

Discuss...

I rather feel the same way about the Stooges, but I think part of it s that in the late 40s the comedy short budget of the Stooges and of all of the major studios were cut due to the competition with TV. So a Stooges short from  the early1950s may just be a bunch of pieces of some old shorts from the early 40s with a few new bits edited in. When the Stooges started, and when Curly was part of the Stooges, comedy shorts were a big part of a night at the movies, so there was less repetition. 

45 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

Kirstie Alley worked because Cheers basically became a different show when Shelley Long left. And let's face it, by 1987 the Sam and Diane saga had been played well but played out. Then Sam went back to his old skirt chasing persona and Alley as his new boss was both his foil and his sexual target. I don't know why they had to turn Alley into a bumbling incompetent - was it 1989? Can't remember. But I think it was after a couple of seasons. 

Shelley Long actually left to pursue a film career and she made less than stellar choices. But her exit kept Cheers from turning into season 4 of Moonlighting. 

Yes, we remember.  😑

Basically, Rebecca would never have survived as Predatory 80's Corporate Female, or been likable unless Sam got control of his bar back, and the stressed-out cracks in Rebecca's armor made her the same lovable oddball that the other bar regulars were.

(And let's not forget Woody Harrelson, who managed to be a worthy successor even for those who did remember Nicholas Colasanto's Coach, and take his dim-bulbery into whole new frontiers.)

• Like 3