Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Meh,..it's not the same.

KidChaplin

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

She wasn't "supposed" to be MM, or any movie icon, she was just the "black sheep" of the family, whom Herman was always apologizing for not being as, um, attractive as the rest of her relatives.

It seems obvious to me that the blonde beauty Marilyn Munster was in fact a reference to blonde beauty Marilyn Monroe - and I'm not the first to notice it - even if it would have been bad taste for the writers to come right out and say so. 

I think one of the most controversial replacements ever was Jack Burns' Warren Ferguson on "The Andy Griffith Show." If I remember right, and correct me if I'm wrong, Andy thought Jack would fill the spot well, but then reconsidered. Later, Andy Griffith took the blame and said it was his fault. 

I will admit though...the color episode of TAGS titled, "The Bazarre", where Warren arrested the Mayberry women for gambling (playing bingo) brought out anger and facial expressions in Andy we'd never seen before! And seeing Andy do Jack's "Huh, huh, huh" towards the end of that episode was pretty classic too. 

• Like 3

Lavender, I worked in advertising in NYC after I graduated from college (which was in NYC).  Worked at Kenyon and Eckhart and Cunningham & Walsh (plus had a relative who was VP of Grey's Advertising).    In a lot of shows (even on soap operas today - where you see a bar setup), they drink.  I believe Eliz. Mont. and William Asher remained friends after they divorced.  While Pete Campbell was a heel in many respects, he was one of the first people to suggest that their TV client write ads for African Americans.  When I worked in advertising in the 80's, I don't remember seeing any African Americans.

14 hours ago, LuckyDan said:

Beedge? You must have typed ****. 

Edit - yep. You typed ****. I wonder if we can say ****?

Edit 2 - nope. The software speaks Italian!

"Beedge"?   That would be pronounced "BEEJ"  

Sewhite could have typed;  BEE JAY"  or maybe just "Hunnicutt"  ;)   But, I'll try something....

B.J.

See?   Maybe his mistake was not putting periods after the "B" and the "J"

Sepiatone 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

Didn't that entire season of DALLAS end up written off as a dream? 

It may have been the same season, but I don't think it was specifically written off as a dream because of Reed's presence!

I tried to check out some websites to spark my memories, but all the ones I found trend toward millennial and postmillennial viewers. It appears you could write a whole book about the characters who disappeared from Boy Meets World. Anyway, nice to know it's a trend that has spanned generations!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

It may have been the same season, but I don't think it was specifically written off as a dream because of Reed's presence!

I tried to check out some websites to spark my memories, but all the ones I found trend toward millennial and postmillennial viewers. It appears you could write a whole book about the characters who disappeared from Boy Meets World. Anyway, nice to know it's a trend that has spanned generations!

The "dream" season had Barbara Bel Geddes as Miss Ellie.  This was season 9.  Bel Geddes missed the previous season, recuperating from quadruple bypass surgery.

The season became a dream season because Patrick Duffy returned to the show after his character had supposedly been killed. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes, I was aware of the story behind it, although I'd stopped watching by then. I think I did check out the season premiere of the following season in which the dream season was revealed (if that's not too confusing!). It was probably the last episode of Dallas I ever watched until the VERY last episode, in which I believe Joel Grey played Satan. I kid you not, as Bogie often said in The Caine Mutiny. I do recall the summer months after Pam found Bobby taking a shower gave Dallas the most anticpatory buzz it had had since Who Shot JR? But the revelation the whole previous season had been a dream only made the people I knew who still watched the show angry, their reactions being alsmost universally along the lines of "That's stupid!" Thanks for clarifying the Miss Ellie temporary replacement was in another season.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Yes, I was aware of the story behind it, although I'd stopped watching by then. I think I did check out the season premiere of the following season in which the dream season was revealed (if that's not too confusing!). It was probably the last episode of Dallas I ever watched until the VERY last episode, in which I belive Joel Grey played Satan. I kid you not, as Bogie often said in The Caine Mutiny. I do recall the summer months after Pam found Bobby taking a shower gave Dallas the most anticpatory buzz it had had since Who Shot JR? But the revelation the whole previous season had been a dream only made the people I knew who still watched the show angry, their reactions being alsmost universally along the lines of "That's stupid!" Thanks for clarifying the Miss Ellie temporary replacement was in another season.

Definitely a jump the shark moment for the series.  I had stopped watching after the "Who Shot J.R." season , which I think was in 81/82.  I graduated from HS in 82 and stopped watching when I went to college.  

• Like 2

I visit an Andy Griffith Show fan website and the great majority of posters don't like the character

of Warren. I've read that Andy saw Burns in a nightclub and liked him, talked with the producers,

and thought Burns would be a good replacement for ol' Barn. Of course that didn't happen. Andy

did take responsibility and said Burns was not at fault. Warren was okay, but a little of Warren went

a long way. The later character I always found funny was Howard Sprague, especially when he had

problems with his mother. A semi-regular on MASH that I enjoyed was Col. Flagg. He's be right at

home in contemporary America. 

• Like 2

On 8/7/2021 at 4:01 PM, TomJH said:

Diana Rigg's departure from The Avengers killed all interest I had in that series when she was replaced by Linda Thorsen.

Honor Blackman was Steed's first regular partner. And she, like Rigg, left to do James Bond films. I guess they wanted to get with the times. Late sixties was a new era and wanted someone who fit with that. I like all three. But, Rigg did set the standard.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, 37kitties said:

Yes, he'd be a Democrat now, for sure.

Shirley you jest. Flagg was a 1950s right wing loon who thought there was a commie under every bed

and fell for every conspiracy theory that came along. Today he's likely be a QAnon fanboy mixed with

lots of Trumpy idiocy, not a Democrat. 

I do not mean to belittle any person's opinions, beliefs, emotions or the legitimacy of their parentage but y'all are a bunch of amateurs! 

The vitality, impact and intelligence of a television program relies on the quality of the stories. A truly great program can rotate in an entirely new cast every few seasons with no loss of purpose or value.

The only important questions in this vein are: Who was the best Doctor? and Who was the best Companion?

18 hours ago, Vautrin said:

Shirley you jest. Flagg was a 1950s right wing loon who thought there was a commie under every bed

and fell for every conspiracy theory that came along. Today he's likely be a QAnon fanboy mixed with

lots of Trumpy idiocy, not a Democrat. 

Come now good sir. I've read enough of your posts to know that you're wise enough to recognize there's an abundance of idiocy on both sides of the aisle.😉

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Citizen Ed said:

Come now good sir. I've read enough of your posts to know that you're wise enough to recognize there's an abundance of idiocy on both sides of the aisle.😉

I would say that there's idiocy on both sides, but right now the abundance in on the GOP side. 

Exhibit number one: Ron "Killer" DeSantis. When you try to save peoples' lives, I'll stand in your way.

• Like 1