Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Robert Charles Durman Mitchum.

Aritosthenes

I've Always Thought "Mitchum" was kinda Fun to Say.

The Birthday of this Leviathan of a Creamy, Smokey Voiced Actor.  Did Get By me.   But "only" by Two Days.

Born: August 6th. 1917,. Bridgeport, Connecticut. (Never wouldah thought "Cool" and "Suave" Hailed from that Area.  But (obviously lol) thats just me.

He Would be One Hundred and Four, today. (Taking into account the always present threat of incorrect computation error.)

Mammoth Birthday Wishes to You Sir. One Of; if not "THE", Coolest of the Cool.

Here is the great Irish street singer Maggie Barry singing "The Hills of Donegal." 

And why on earth, you're asking, am I posting this here? Because I once saw an interview with her granddaughter, who said that her grandmother convinced her grandchildren that she (Maggie) was married to Robert Mitchum and that he'd be over to see them as soon as he finished his latest movie in Hollywood.

"The myths that surrounded her were often perpetuated by Barry herself. It’s unlikely she attended Elvis Presley’s wedding, as she claimed, and she was certainly never married to Robert Mitchum, though she convinced her grandchildren that she was and that he’d be over to see them as soon as he’d finished his latest movie in Hollywood."

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/jan/18/margaret-barry-wild-irish-woman-of-the-british-folk-scene-celtic-connections

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

I always wondered if the town in Out of the Past was named Bridgeport because it was  taken from the novel

or because it was Mitchum's hometown. 

Uh,  the town in the film was named Bridgeport because that was the name given to it decades before the film was made.

I go there once a year for trout fishing at Walker river (the river featured in the film),  as well as  Twin Lakes (also featured in the film).

These are all REAL places that existed with these REAL names decades before the film was made.

The same goes for Lake Tahoe (ha ha).

PS: The first post office at Bridgeport opened in 1864.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Uh,  the town in the film was named Bridgeport because that was the name given to it decades before the film was made.

I go there once a year for trout fishing at Walker river (the river featured in the film),  as well as  Twin Lakes (also featured in the film).

These are all REAL places that existed with these REAL names decades before the film was made.

The same goes for Lake Tahoe (ha ha).

PS: The first post office at Bridgeport opened in 1864.

I'm not doubting there was a small town in California named Bridgeport. It's possible that Mainwaring

used a different name in the novel, though I suppose it's more likely he didn't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vautrin said:

I'm not doubting there was a small town in California named Bridgeport. It's possible that Mainwaring

used a different name in the novel, though I suppose it's more likely he didn't.

Author Daniel Mainwaring was born in Oakland CA,  and he was known for writing stories that featured small CA towns.    So I assume he knew the Eastern Sierras well (like I do), and that is why all the sites featured in the novel (as well as film),  are actual places in the area.

2 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Baby, I don't care.

If I was going out with Jane Greer I wouldn't either. I thought that at the end of the movie Bob should

have shot Greer. Kirk's corpse was already in the house, so Bob could have made it look like they shot

one another. They likely would have tried to rub him out in the future anyway. Then he could have gone

back to sweet Virginia Huston and saved her from that namby pamby game warden or whatever he was

supposed to be. 

• Like 1

I can never get enough of Mitchum.   So far his SUTS day has made the rest kind of a bore for me.   I'm looking forward to Gloria Grahame though.  I guess them being related by marriage was the reason they never had a love scene?  Or did they?   Maybe family gatherings would've been awkward, but no more than Ray family get togethers.  

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Katie_G said:

I can never get enough of Mitchum.   So far his SUTS day has made the rest kind of a bore for me.   I'm looking forward to Gloria Grahame though.  I guess them being related by marriage was the reason they never had a love scene?  Or did they?   Maybe family gatherings would've been awkward, but no more than Ray family get togethers.  

Dont Think i've Ever Sat thru a "bad" Performance From Either

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Katie_G said:

They look pretty chummy in this shot here anyway, Katie...

american-actors-gloria-grahame-and-rober

(...I think this still is from Not as a Stranger)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow, they certainly DO look chummy, Dargo!   Thank you, I don't know how I've managed to miss this movie before, but will be watching it later after my hubby leaves.  lol

An all star cast and classified as film-noir on Imdb.  Mitchum plays a doctor married to de Havilland but lusts after a "siren" we can safely assume is Grahame.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Katie_G said:

Wow, they certainly DO look chummy, Dargo!   Thank you, I don't know how I've managed to miss this movie before, but will be watching it later after my hubby leaves.  lol

An all star cast and classified as film-noir on Imdb.  Mitchum plays a doctor married to de Havilland but lusts after a "siren" we can safely assume is Grahame.

I find it hard to believe IMDB would classify Not as a Stranger as a film-noir (well maybe not so surprised),  but it isn't by a mile.    

Fine flawed film:  it has it moments and there is some fine acting but there are also flaws, de Havilland's over-accent being one of them, as well as Mitchum being a little too low key (even for him).

Sinatra is very good in the film and kind of helps ground it with the always good Charles Bickford 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Katie_G said:

After reading the synopsis I wondered about that too, James.  It really didn't sound like a noir, so my expectations have been adjusted, but still looks pretty good. I'll report back.

The basis of the story is young interns in their journey to become doctors.   The cast is first rate with many fine actors playing both young interns and the doctors at the med school training these young pups.    E.g.   Broderick Crawford has a small role but he makes the most of him (both Crawford and Bickford steal all of their scenes  from the too low key Mitchum).

But still worth watching.    There is one scene with Grahame,  Mitchum and a horse,  that is,,,  well,,,,   lets just say you may may wish to watch that one with hubby,,,, it could cause a spark! (ha ha).

• Like 1

It's definitely worth watching.  About as subtle as a sledgehammer,  Bob is a poor medical student playboy who can't even afford to eat and is getting pressured for his tuition.  His best friend Sinatra is tapped out.  His father Lon Chaney Jr. is a drunk and no help at all, telling him that he's missing something.

Maybe, but Bob er "Luke" has other attributes.    When he learns that Kris (de Havilland, apparently Hollywood's idea of  "plain")  the Swedish surgical nurse has some money saved that would solve his food and tuition problems, he seduces her with those bedroom eyes that even scrubs can't dim.

NotasAStranger1ccc.jpg.61e6fcd9427e8365a8e45072418fb154.jpg

Oh yeah.  He takes her to a movie, The Barefoot Contessa starring Ava Gardner.   I'm sure this was just a coincidence.

When he breaks the news of his upcoming marriage to his buddy Frank,  there's an odd reaction.

Is he crazy, Kris is intelligent, kind, trustworthy and supportive.  When that doesn't work, he tries ****-shaming Luke.

At this point my Amazon video player starting buffering so the second half will be posted later.

• Like 4

Did the script writers have forehand knowledge Sinatra was going to be playing a part and thus write his dialogue as if he was Nathan Detroit in every movie? ("This is the not the kind of a dame you marry!"), or did he change the dialogue just like he did the lyrics to the songs so they all sounded more Nathan Detroit-y when he performed them live ("That nutty, crazy, coo-coo withcraft!")?

• Haha 1

On 8/9/2021 at 10:12 PM, Vautrin said:

If I was going out with Jane Greer I wouldn't either. I thought that at the end of the movie Bob should

have shot Greer. Kirk's corpse was already in the house, so Bob could have made it look like they shot

one another. They likely would have tried to rub him out in the future anyway. Then he could have gone

back to sweet Virginia Huston and saved her from that namby pamby game warden or whatever he was

supposed to be. 

Confession:  I actually think Richard Webb as "Jim" is anything but namby pamby -- at least in the looks department.    

Now, for me Mitchum is one of our great actors.  Underrated as a matter of fact.  But, truth be told (and I've mentioned this in other threads) Bob doesn't "do it for me" in the, er, be-still-my-heart department.  Never did.  Love his performances in everything I've seen, but that's about it!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Did the script writers have forehand knowledge Sinatra was going to be playing a part and thus write his dialogue as if he was Nathan Detroit in every movie? ("This is the not the kind of a dame you marry!"), or did he change the dialogue just like he did the lyrics to the songs so they all sounded more Nathan Detroit-y when he performed them live ("That nutty, crazy, coo-coo withcraft!")?

I don't begrudge Nancy Sinatra loving and missing her daddy, but in that TCM tribute she tells us that he did more for proper pronunciation (through his singing apparently) than anyone else in the English speaking world, lol. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Confession:  I actually think Richard Webb as "Jim" is anything but namby pamby -- at least in the looks department.    

Now, for me Mitchum is one of our great actors.  Underrated as a matter of fact.  But, truth be told (and I've mentioned this in other threads) Bob doesn't "do it for me" in the, er, be-still-my-heart department.  Never did.  Love his performances in everything I've seen, but that's about it!

Yes, he's a nice looking chap, though to me he has all the charisma of a parking meter. It was obvious that Virginia

was gaga over Bob and was not interested in Jim. It was a bit depressing to see her get into his car at the end.

I've never thought that Mitchum was conventionally handsome, so I guess it's up to the individual whether they

go for Bob or not. Besides his acting chops it's hard not to like his off screen don't give a damn/it sure beats working

individualism. 

• Like 1

Speaking of Virginia, she gives a lovely performance as the good girl.  Very natural and nuanced.   Perfect counterpoint to Jane Greer.

I never understood what Jeff and Whit saw in Kathy Moffat.   No, really.   Sort of tomboyish, waif-like, not a beauty or alluring by any means.   Now, the gorgeous and glamorous Rhonda Fleming, that's a different story!

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings