Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What movie was this?

Joan Schernekau

When I was quite young I saw a black and white movie on TV that has haunted me to this day. I’ve tried to research it but have never been successful. This is what I remember about the movie. I think it was a man, traveled back in time to the  renaissance times. To return to present day he had to die and did so by being  decapitated. Does anyone know what this troubling movie is titles?

There was a movie I saw with my parents at a drive-in theater back in the mid to late 50s about a group of hunters or explorers supposedly somewhere in Africa and what made this particular movie stand out so much in my young innocent movie-goer mind was that everyone (all the leading characters) were eventually killed off by gorillas.  An emotional, moral jolt that would be repeated in 1960 when, with my father, I saw Janet Leigh brutally murdered in Psycho.   Bear in mind this was before the movie rating system and a time when leading stars were never killed off in the first 20 minutes of the film.  Anyway I have never since seen of heard of this movie involving gorillas and a doomed safari.  Does this sound familiar to anyone else in the TCM community?

2 hours ago, Joan Schernekau said:

When I was quite young I saw a black and white movie on TV that has haunted me to this day. I’ve tried to research it but have never been successful. This is what I remember about the movie. I think it was a man, traveled back in time to the  renaissance times. To return to present day he had to die and did so by being  decapitated. Does anyone know what this troubling movie is titles?

Could this have been A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court (1921) or the (1931) version?

2 hours ago, Joan Schernekau said:

The Undead (1957) is an early Roger Corman film in which a woman -- a prostitute -- travels back in time to medieval times, to a previous self. She is unjustly accused of being a witch. In order to protect her future incarnations, she has to opt to be decapitated. The man -- a sort of psychiatrist who sends her back -- travels back as well, but he remains stuck there.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings