Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Censorship

riffraf

It is very distressing to see a company like TCM which for so many years prided itself on showcasing the rich heritage of classic films unedited and uncensored to start doing so apparently out of pressure for political correctness.  Only because TCM vowed to screen films as they were meant to be seen in the way the creative artists made them to be seen have I been a staunch supporter of the channel.

I have always thought that TCM goes to great lengths with their own creative talents and artists to promote and introduce this huge library of films from all over the world representing so many different cultures, ideologies and talented film makers in clever and artistic ways.  In particular the opening intro for the early morning movies using a well made three dimensional "popup" book with scenes from a number of classic films with still pictures (cutouts) and some put in motion.  Very clever and very unique.  I loved it!

Being a devoted, well versed and dedicated fan of classic cinema and thus a long time follower/supporter of Turner Classic Movies I could not help but notice that one of the black and white stills from a classic John Ford/John Wayne western (the cavalry trilogy) showed a very small Confederate flag which has since been removed.  The only reason I can imagine it was removed would be some sort of political/racial "correctness" as if TCM would not want to be thought of as promoting "racial hatred".  Seriously?  And yet TCM has bent over backwards to express disclaimers before and after many films that may contain any controversial content that could be considered offensive to some.  Why start censoring now?  What comes next, blurring out or removing any scenes containing the Confederate flag in Gone With the Wind?  Now I am offended.   And I am sure that a number of your viewers, particularly the older folks who lived through a time when censorship and book burning was a very real threat to democracy, civil liberties and for that matter all of humanity.  Very disappointed.  

she-wore-a-yellow-ribbon_55018970-1024x839-Define2.jpg

44 minutes ago, riffraf said:

It is very distressing to see a company like TCM which for so many years prided itself on showcasing the rich heritage of classic films unedited and uncensored to start doing so apparently out of pressure for political correctness.  Only because TCM vowed to screen films as they were meant to be seen in the way the creative artists made them to be seen have I been a staunch supporter of the channel.

I have always thought that TCM goes to great lengths with their own creative talents and artists to promote and introduce this huge library of films from all over the world representing so many different cultures, ideologies and talented film makers in clever and artistic ways.  In particular the opening intro for the early morning movies using a well made three dimensional "popup" book with scenes from a number of classic films with still pictures (cutouts) and some put in motion.  Very clever and very unique.  I loved it!

Being a devoted, well versed and dedicated fan of classic cinema and thus a long time follower/supporter of Turner Classic Movies I could not help but notice that one of the black and white stills from a classic John Ford/John Wayne western (the cavalry trilogy) showed a very small Confederate flag which has since been removed.  The only reason I can imagine it was removed would be some sort of political/racial "correctness" as if TCM would not want to be thought of as promoting "racial hatred".  Seriously?  And yet TCM has bent over backwards to express disclaimers before and after many films that may contain any controversial content that could be considered offensive to some.  Why start censoring now?  What comes next, blurring out or removing any scenes containing the Confederate flag in Gone With the Wind?  Now I am offended.   And I am sure that a number of your viewers, particularly the older folks who lived through a time when censorship and book burning was a very real threat to democracy, civil liberties and for that matter all of humanity.  Very disappointed.  

she-wore-a-yellow-ribbon_55018970-1024x839-Define2.jpg

TCM doesn't edit any content.     They can't since they don't own the rights to the films  they lease.