Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Kay Francis

mabelnormand1930

2 hours ago, mabelnormand1930 said:

TCM is showing her films on August 9th. Are you a fan?  

It took me years to warm up to Kay Francis. As a kid, I didn't like her, and as a young adult my sister and I attended 3 or 4 days of a month-long salute to her at the Stanford Theater in Palo Alto. At that time, I began to appreciate her more, and now I like her (particularly in comedies.) I also like her in mother roles, They didn't show it on her SUTS day, but she is really good as Deanna Durbin's mother in IT'S A DATE.

• Like 2

I'm a fan of Kay Francis;   She had real style and no one wore a gown better than Kay.      She had good comic timing with her co-stars and her 30s works was very good.

Warner Bros.  didn't really know how to use her in the late 30s and  early 40s but she was still in a few good films.

Trouble in Paradise is my favorite Lubitsch film. 

The Resurrection of Kay Francis – Auxiliary Memory

• Like 9

6 hours ago, mabelnormand1930 said:

YES!!!! I took the day off, so could watch many of the films (though I've seen them all, except for one yesterday) I recorded some in the morning hours.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

Because the majority of her movies were from the '30s they mostly all have short run times.  Ergo, TCM can air a bunch of her movies in one day.  I reckon I'm a fan.  :)

Yes, that's a plus. Most run around 75 mins if that.

• Like 1

I only watched the first two primetime features, which arguably were her two best movies, although admittedly, there are a lot I haven't seen. One-Way Passage is only about 70 minutes, and then I watched all but about the last 10 minutes of Trouble in Paradise. I was too sleepy to finish. I'm unsure if I'm a fan, but I enjoy those two movies very much.

• Like 4

On 8/10/2021 at 1:28 PM, Sepiatone said:

Well, I like her OK as an actress.  But not a great one.  And too, while I don't think of her as unattractive, I wouldn't, as Karger does, think of her as "glamorous". 

Sepiatone

I don't view Kay Francis as a beauty (instead attractive \ fine looking) but as I told my wife last night,  I find her to be one of the most glamorous actresses of  her era.   Thus I find  Constance Bennett  and Kay Francis to be two of the most glamorous actresses of the 30s.   E.g. how they wear gowns,  hats,   how they walked,   their overall style,,,,  

Kay Francis | FacebookConstance Bennett - Rotten Tomatoes

• Like 3

11 hours ago, mabelnormand1930 said:

Yes, I love Kay Francis. Yes, she was very glamorous. I think she was beautiful. It's her eyes and that very intelligent face that makes her a beauty. While I love Trouble In Paradise and One Way Passage, Confession is also a favorite. King of the Underworld with Bogart is fun too. Kay as Spot White walking down that staircase in the sequin gown in Mandalay, is a knockout., So glamorous .She's one of my favories.

• Like 6

I'm a super-fan of Kay Francis' and so enjoyed "Kay Day."  She is equally effective in light comedy and high melodrama. Lights up the screen every time she appears.  I had no idea who she was until I started watching TCM.  What a revelation.  Love all of her films and I also love that even when Warner Brothers threw her into a lot of sub-standard fare (to get her to quit) she laughed and said:  "As long as they pay my salary, I'll do 'whatever.'"  She was a smart lady and didn't let WB force her out.  Like Myrna Loy, she did a ton of volunteer work during WWII and later handled retirement gracefully.  A class act and I never tire of seeing her films.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, lydecker said:

I'm a super-fan of Kay Francis' and so enjoyed "Kay Day."  She is equally effective in light comedy and high melodrama. Lights up the screen every time she appears.  I had no idea who she was until I started watching TCM.  What a revelation.  Love all of her films and I also love that even when Warner Brothers threw her into a lot of sub-standard fare (to get her to quit) she laughed and said:  "As long as they pay my salary, I'll do 'whatever.'"  She was a smart lady and didn't let WB force her out.  Like Myrna Loy, she did a ton of volunteer work during WWII and later handled retirement gracefully.  A class act and I never tire of seeing her films.

Spoiler Alert for Confession:

As you can see above I'm a fan of Kay Francis but with regards to "lights up the screen every time she appears",  well generally I felt this way until last night when my wife and I were watching Confession.   We missed  the first few minutes so I don't know if Kay was shown in the film before her dance number scene.   So we're watching and I see a lot of Jane Bryant but no Kay.    Then comes her dance number scene.     The first view of the  stage is a far away shot but as it got closer I said to myself:  what did  they do to Kay!     That blonde hair?    After she shot Rathbone,  and they went to the court room scene I did figure it out (based on the gray streaks in his hair);  That much of the film will be a flashback featuring Kay and Basil.    Ah,  there was the brunette and stylish Kay I was use to!  

Of course I understood that Kay was shown this way as part of the plot;  I.e.   her "light" had dimmed and how she is just a dance hall gal at a club that was somewhat "underground" due mainly to Rathbone (which also is why she shot him for dating his daughter). 

KAY FRANCIS Older Restrike Photo 1937 "CONFESSION" Blonde Bombshell  Portrait | eBay

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Well, I like her OK as an actress.  But not a great one.  And too, while I don't think of her as unattractive, I wouldn't, as Karger does, think of her as "glamorous". 

Sepiatone

You DON'T think of her as glamorous?

2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I don't view Kay Francis as a beauty (instead attractive \ fine looking) but as I told my wife last night,  I find her to be one of the most glamorous actresses of  her era.   Thus I find  Constance Bennett  and Kay Francis to be two of the most glamorous actress of the 30s.   E.g. how they were gowns,  hats,   how they walked,   their overall style,,,,  

Kay Francis | FacebookConstance Bennett - Rotten Tomatoes

Francis was a dress designers dream. Tall and willowy she could pull off any type of outfit!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

As you can see above I'm a fan of Kay Francis but with regards to "lights up the screen every time she appears",  well generally I felt this way until last night when my wife and I were watching Confession.   We missed  the first few minutes so I don't know if Kay was shown in the film before her dance number scene.   So we're watching and I see a lot of Jane Bryant but no Kay.    Then comes her dance number scene.       Ah,  there was the brunette and stylish Kay I was use to!  

Of course I understood that Kay was shown this way as part of the plot;  I.e.   her "light" had dimmed and how she is just a dance hall gal at a club that was somewhat "underground"

I edited the spoiler parts out as this was quoted before he posted SPOILERS in his post. 

KAY FRANCIS Older Restrike Photo 1937 "CONFESSION" Blonde Bombshell  Portrait | eBay

A lot of spoilers here for people who haven''t seen the film! :(

The film has an unusual plot structure. Kay doesn't appear until almost a half hr into the film.

1 hour ago, lydecker said:

She left most of her entire estate (of several million) to the charity that trains seeing eye dogs (forget what the exact name of it is). She had no children and felt that the loss of sight was the worst sense to lose.

Her experience entertaining the troops during WW2 was the basis for the (highly fictionalized) film, 4 Jills In a Jeep which she co-starred in with her tour co-stars (Martha Raye etc.) The horrible parts were glossed over into a more crowd pleasing picture.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

A lot of spoilers here for people who haven''t seen the film! :(

The film has an unusual plot structure. Kay doesn't appear until almost a half hr into the film.

I edited my post adding a spoiler alert;   So now the only one without that is your quote of my post.   You can edit your reply.   

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I edited my post adding a spoiler alert;   So now the only one without that is your quote of my post.   You can edit your reply.   

Thanks! Wasn't aware I could edit your quote, but it did let me!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hibi said:

Francis was a dress designers dream. Tall and willowy she could pull off any type of outfit!

I totally agree. The woman could throw a look. Orry-Kelly was credited fairly often by Bette Davis for glamming up her image, but since he was the chief designer for Warner Brothers from the early 30's until the mid-40's he worked with all the biggies at the studio. For much of 30's Kay Francis was the biggest and got very special attention from him. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DougieB said:

I totally agree. The woman could throw a look. Orry-Kelly was credited fairly often by Bette Davis for glamming up her image, but since he was the chief designer for Warner Brothers from the early 30's until the mid-40's he worked with all the biggies at the studio. For much of 30's Kay Francis was the biggest and got very special attention from him. 

Yes, Kay and Kelly were a great team.. He even dressed her in the B films she was forced to do in her last few yrs at Warners.

Not part of the celebration, but a great one is British Agent (1934), in which Miss Kay--looking fabulous--plays, wait for it, Lenin's secretary.  No, really, it's great.  At the beginning of the movie, a gala full of aristocrats is strafed with machine gun fire. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, slaytonf said:

Not part of the celebration, but a great one is British Agent (1934), in which Miss Kay--looking fabulous--plays, wait for it, Lenin's secretary.  No, really, it's great.  At the beginning of the movie, a gala full of aristocrats is strafed with machine gun fire. 

LOL. Yes, that one is not the typical Francis vehicle. I haven't seen it in years, with Leslie Howard.

12 hours ago, slaytonf said:

Glad you mentioned this one.     We get Kay in leather! 

British Agent (1934) - FilmaffinityBritish Agent (1934) - IMDb

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings