Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Curious to know any comments from Sterling Hayden fans about their top SH noir films. While Asphalt Jungle and The Killing (with that great role of Timothy Carey's) are of course among the most popular,  Crime Wave is a huge favorite I'd hope no one would miss, as with Crime of Passion (featuring a good role for Raymond Burr).  And to digress a little from true noir, Hayden  gives a truly worthy and sensitive performance in The Star while Bette Davis chews up the sets -- a great film for its time with lots of little surpises like Paul ('The Haunted Mansion' ride narrator) Frees in his good small bit.  

• Like 1
8 hours ago, belalonboris said:

Curious to know any comments from Sterling Hayden fans about their top SH noir films. While Asphalt Jungle and The Killing (with that great role of Timothy Carey's) are of course among the most popular,  Crime Wave is a huge favorite I'd hope no one would miss, as with Crime of Passion (featuring a good role for Raymond Burr).  And to digress a little from true noir, Hayden  gives a truly worthy and sensitive performance in The Star while Bette Davis chews up the sets -- a great film for its time with lots of little surpises like Paul ('The Haunted Mansion' ride narrator) Frees in his good small bit.  

First,  welcome newbie.      As for Hayden;  Since Eddie Muller showed Crime Wave,  the film has received the respect it deserved.   Tim Carey is in this film as well but I find his mugging in the background to be over-the-top.    Hayden is solid in the film, as is the rest of the cast.   

Another noir, released the year before Asphalt Jungle is Manhandled (1949).   This is  a good film with Hayden also as a cop.   The film features Dorothy Lamour and noir bad-boy Dan Duryea.       Other Hayden films I enjoy other than the ones you mention are:

The color western-with-a-noir-vibe Johnny Guitar (1954) with Joan Crawford,   Suddenly (1954),  with Frank Sinatra,  and of course Dr. Strangelove (1964).

One film I would really like to see is Naked Alibi (1954 - again so that was a solid year for him),  with Gloria Grahame,   but since this is a Universal film one shouldn't expect TCM to show it.

Naked Alibi (1954) - IMDb

• Like 1

James mentioned some of Hayden's better films in the noir category...NAKED ALIBI is easy to find (people often post it on YouTube) and it's satisfying. JOHNNY GUITAR, a western noir, is a must-see classic. 

I would also recommend a B western noir with a good cast-- VALERIE (1957) in which he costars opposite Anita Ekberg and Anthony Steel (who were married at the time).

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll look into them all. 👍  

Just asking re: "but since this is a Universal film one shouldn't expect TCM to show it." -- I've seen many Universal-released films on TCM so...  not sure what this means? Thanks for the insight though.

15 hours ago, belalonboris said:

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll look into them all. 👍  

Just asking re: "but since this is a Universal film one shouldn't expect TCM to show it." -- I've seen many Universal-released films on TCM so...  not sure what this means? Thanks for the insight though.

Universal has a reputation for not restoring films and not leasing them.     Of all the major studios I believe TCM shows less films from Universal than any other major.

Of course the original Ted Turner library of films,   that Time Warner ended up acquiring were Warner Bros. MGM and RKO and some Paramount films).

I see you have a werewolf as  your avatar;    TCM was able to lease the Universal horror films,  as well as the Abbott and Costello films,  Hitchcock films and some others but still TCM is very light on Universal films (as well as Fox,  Republic ,  United Artist,  and the majority of Paramount films that were not of the original library).

But Universal Noir films:     Of course TCM gets some of these from time to time (say if that are featuring an actor or have a theme),  but it is rare to see one as part of their general programming.   This is one of the primary reasons TCM shows so many repeats  of films from the 3 majors mentioned above.

• Like 1