Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Kathy Hochul: New York's next governor

MovieMadness

Kathy Hochul: New York's next governor

New York Lt. Gov. Kathy Hochul spent the afternoon of Aug. 11, 2020 welcoming the Toronto Blue Jays to play in Buffalo where they were stranded by the pandemic.

A year later, she’s poised to become New York’s first female governor.

With Gov. Andrew Cuomo on Tuesday announcing his resignation effective in two weeks, Hochul will soon become the second recent lieutenant governor to assume the state’s top post after accusations of an incumbent's sexual misdeeds. (Eliot Spitzer quit in 2008 after reports that he was a client of a prostitution ring.) Hochul will hold the position for the remainder of Cuomo’s third term, which expires at the end of next year.

"I agree with Governor Cuomo's decision to step down. It is the right thing to do and in the best interest of New Yorkers," Hochul said in a statement. "As someone who has served at all levels of government and is next in the line of succession, I am prepared to lead as New York State’s 57th Governor."

Hochul, 62, may not be a household name like her boss, who disputed the attorney general’s report corroborating allegations of sexual harassment from 11 women just before saying he would resign. But in many ways she has been the most visible elected official in New York since she assumed her current role six years ago. She is renowned for putting in grueling hours cutting ribbons, campaigning for down-ballot Democrats and cheerleading for upstate businesses.

The Buffalo native has been gradually distancing herself from Cuomo since allegations of sexual harassment first surfaced. She’s stopped mentioning him directly at public events and has her own public schedule sent out.

After the James report dropped last week, Hochul released a statement saying it “documented repulsive and unlawful behavior by the Governor towards multiple women.” She deferred to the Assembly, which has been edging closer toward impeachment by the day, and said it would not be appropriate for her to weigh in further given her place in the line of succession.

Cuomo, in announcing his planned resignation, praised Hochul’s abilities and said she would quickly be ready to address the resurgence of the Covid-19 virus.

Now you know why. expect the same to happen with lameduck Biden someday.

54 minutes ago, MovieMadness said:

Now you know why. expect the same to happen with lameduck Biden someday.

It looks like one right wing Republican is now going on record by predicting the inevitabiity of President Harris.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TomJH said:

It looks like one right wing Republican is now going on record by predicting the inevitabiity of President Harris.

she has a racial chip on her shoulder daring any white devil hon ky to knock it off. even democrats shouldn't want that.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

she has a racial chip on her shoulder daring any white devil hon ky to knock it off. even democrats shouldn't want that.

Speaking of racial chips on shoulders, nipkow, yours is huuuge, from what you tend to post on here.  And Harris is also a woman, which brings out your sexism as well as racism.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was watching the news last night and the talking heads were predicting that Cuomo would fight to

the bitter end, which is what his personal history would suggest. And then he resigned rather abruptly.

You can never tell about a pol. Good riddance.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

A smart, powerful blaaaaaaack woman in charge! Just thinking about it has Nip in need of a quick change of his undies.

• Haha 1

Let's hope Kathy Hochul does a great job -- and why shouldn't she -- and that we don't have a complicated scrimmage for the nomination.

Regarding VP Harris, I'm afraid I'm not impressed yet. I have no problem with a smart, powerful black woman as President. I'm not convinced yet that Harris is that person. Time will tell. If we get into the situation a few years from now, where we say the candidate has to be black and has to be a woman (and has to be Harris), we (i.e. Democrats) may be sunk.

1 hour ago, Swithin said:

Let's hope Kathy Hochul does a great job -- and why shouldn't she -- and that we don't have a complicated scrimmage for the nomination.

Regarding VP Harris, I'm afraid I'm not impressed yet. I have no problem with a smart, powerful black woman as President. I'm not convinced yet that Harris is that person. Time will tell. If we get into the situation a few years from now, where we say the candidate has to be black and has to be a woman (and has to be Harris), we (i.e. Democrats) may be sunk.

Being in CA for all of my life I'm well aware of Harris.    Yes,  she is intelligent but from what I have seen she is all about getting to the next level;  I.e.  a typical career politician  (which she learned by being under the wing of CA Dem power broker Willi Brown).   She doesn't have any strong convictions or policy positions but like Captain Louis Renault, she blows with the wind.    

E.g.  CA has a new A.G.   The L.A. Times article today was about how he is willing to prosecute police officers for crimes when local D.As and \ or Grand Juries will not.    The article points out the disappointment that Harris failed to do so when she was A.G. instead  siding with local law enforcement in protecting the blue  and that this especially hurt people-of-color.   But when debating Biden,   she all put called Biden a racist due to his stance on bussing and social justice when he was a Senator  (since  she felt doing so would beef up her position in the primary,  which it did).

I'm not sure what this nation needs is a President whose convictions and policy positions are determined by reading-the-tea-leaves.