Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

When is October schedule available?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm struck by the fact that TCM is reshowing Night of the Lepus, while the most famous movie about a killer rabbit, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, has never been on TCM.

5 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Yes! I think Lucille Ball is SOTM. She’s my fave. Great choice TCM. 

Lucille Ball's life and career is the subject of season three of TCM's The Plot Thickens podcast, premiering this fall, so presumably her being SOTM in October is a tie-in with that.

8 minutes ago, Barton_Keyes said:

Lucille Ball's life and career is the subject of season three of TCM's The Plot Thickens podcast, premiering this fall, so presumably her being SOTM in October is a tie-in with that.

Yes. That’s what I figured as well. Not sure if it’s entirely related, but Sirius Ch. 104 is in the middle of showcasing Lucy’s 1964-1965 10-minute radio show (essentially a 60s version of a podcast). I had no idea she had a radio show. It is never mentioned in any of the biographies I’ve read about her. 

Lucy has been getting a lot of attention recently, I’m sure in part because October 15 is the 70th anniversary of the debut of I Love Lucy. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Yes. That’s what I figured as well. Not sure if it’s entirely related, but Sirius Ch. 104 is in the middle of showcasing Lucy’s 1964-1965 10-minute radio show (essentially a 60s version of a podcast). I had no idea she had a radio show. It is never mentioned in any of the biographies I’ve read about her. 

Lucy has been getting a lot of attention recently, I’m sure in part because October 15 is the 70th anniversary of the debut of I Love Lucy. 

Are there any Lucy buried treasures/hard to find films that you would like to see TCM uncover?

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, cmovieviewer said:

Coincidentally, Leonard Maltin posted an article today about some interviews Lucy did with celebrity friends that will be made available as podcasts:

https://leonardmaltin.com/lets-talk-to-lucy/

Lucy’s interview show, “Let’s Talk to Lucy,” is the show I was referring to in my earlier post. I’ve listened to a lot of the segments. They’re a very interesting look into the mindsets and culture of the 1960s and a look into Lucy’s personality. I can’t say I agree with some of the opinions presented by Lucy and her guests, especially as they pertain to women, but I do find the conversations interesting. 

The show is on Sirius Ch 104. It started on Aug 5 and runs 3 weeks. I believe that the shows will remain available afterward, via podcasts, for a time after Sirius’ limited run. 

• Thanks 1

I never did get through reposts of the September lineups. Got to about Sept. 19, I think. Perhaps I will delve into October this weekend. Too bushed tonight. I am somewhat intrigued by Lucy as SOTM, though we no doubt will have to watch that promo of her and Carol Burnett singing hoootz-pah six billion times. This selection is tied into the focus on her for the upcoming season of the podcast, no doubt. She had a pretty solid film career before becoming TV's biggest star, IMO.

5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Are there any Lucy buried treasures/hard to find films that you would like to see TCM uncover?

I've seen/own most of them, so I would hope that they air the ones I haven't seen.  I haven't gone through the entire schedule yet.  I'm about to do so now, so fingers crossed, maybe some of these will be included:

-Sorrowful Jones (1949).  It's a remake of the Shirley Temple film, Little Miss Marker.  It stars Lucy and Bob Hope.  I've only seen this movie once.

-Bunker Bean (1936) I haven't seen this one

-Don't Tell the Wife (1937) I haven't seen this one

-Twelve Crowded Hours (1939) I haven't seen this one

-Panama Lady (1939) I haven't seen this one either.  I believe that Ann Sothern was supposed to be in this film at some point, but Lucy got the part.

-The Marines Fly High (1940) I haven't seen this one

-Lover Come Back (1946) I haven't seen this one

-A Guide for a Married Man (1967)  I've seen this one before, but I haven't seen it for a long time.  I remember Lucy in a vignette with Art Carney. 

I also haven't seen Lucy's last film, Stone Pillow (1985), but I don't know if I want to see Lucy as an old bag lady

And since I know that TCM will air TV documentaries like PBS' American Masters series, I wish that they would air the American Masters about Lucy called "Finding Lucy."  There's also a great A&E Biography documentary from the 90s about Lucy and Desi and I would love to see that one again.  And even though it's not a movie per se, "I Love Lucy: The Movie" would be interesting.  It's not so much a movie as it is three episodes of I Love Lucy connected with new footage. 

• Thanks 1

Lucy's Lineup (It looks like she's featured Thursday evenings - Friday mornings) 

10/7 -10/8

I Dream Too Much (1935) This one I need to watch again.  I don't even know if I made it to Lucy's part because I couldn't handle the awful operatic singing that is in this film.

Stage Door (1937) This is a fantastic film and was Lucy's big break at RKO.

Room Service (1938) Not the best of the Marx Bros. films, but it's fun to see Lucy and Ann Miller with them.

Bunker Bean (1936) One of Lucy's films I haven't seen!

Don't Tell the Wife (1937)  Ooh another one to record

Follow the Fleet (1936) Lucy has a small part in this Astaire/Rogers film. She also has uncredited parts in Top Hat and Roberta.

Chatterbox (1936) I haven't seen this one, but I recorded it during an Anne Shirley tribute whenever that was and it's still on my DVR.

Beauty for the Asking (1939) This is a really great, short (barely over an hour!) film.  Lucy plays an entrepreneur of a beauty product.  This film was hard to find for a long time until it was released on DVD by Warner Archive a few years ago.

Five Came Back (1939).  This is one of Lucy's best films during her "Queen of the Bs" career at RKO.  She plays one of the passengers of a doomed plane that crashes in the jungle.  They repair the plane, but determine that only 5/9 passengers can make the return flight home. 

The Affairs of Annabel (1938) & Annabel Takes a Tour (1938).  'Affairs' was Lucy's first starring role.  This is a fairly entertaining film featuring Lucy as an actress who gets involved in all these crazy publicity stunts that are intended to advertise her upcoming films.  Jack Oakie plays her agent who devises all these stunts.  'Tour' is the sequel and isn't as good as the first film.  RKO wanted to turn these films into a serial, but (I think) Oakie wanted too much money to continue the series, and I don't believe they were financially successful enough for RKO to want to carry on with the serial. 

Panama Lady (1939) Woohoo another one to record!

10/14-10/15

Too Many Girls (1940) The film itself is unremarkable; but is an important film for Lucy and television.  This is the film that brought Lucy and Desi together.  This film also features a scene of Lucy messing up the choreography.  And, there is a red-hot conga number between Desi and Ann Miller! 

The Long Long Trailer (1954) My #1 favorite film of all time!  Lucy and Desi are hilarious. I have probably seen this film, no exaggeration, about a hundred times.

Forever Darling (1956).  Lucy and Desi's third and final film together.  I hate to say it, because I love Lucy and Desi; but this film is not very good.  Even guardian angel, James Mason, cannot save it.  Lucy and Desi's marriage was rapidly crumbling by this time and sadly, I think it shows in this film.  There is this tenseness that wafts over the entire production.  I find it uncomfortable to watch--though I own it because it came in my Lucy-Desi trilogy.

Easy to Wed (1946) A remake of Libeled Lady.  Esther Williams plays Myrna Loy's part, Van Johnson is in William Powell's.  Keenan Wynn has Spencer Tracy's part and Lucy has Jean Harlow's.  This film doesn't hold a candle to the original, but Lucy is easily the best person in the film. 

Seven Days' Leave (1942) I haven't seen this film in a long time.  I'm not the biggest fan of Victor Mature, but I will be giving this one another chance.

Next Time I Marry (1938) Another one of Lucy's B-movies at RKO.  I find this movie amusing and Lucy has another scene where she's trapped in a moving trailer.

Go Chase Yourself (1938) I haven't seen this one for a long time.  I'll be rewatching it.

A Girl, A Guy and A Gob (1941).  I love this movie. It stars Lucy, George Murphy and a very young Edmond O'Brien.  Lucy ("The Girl," obviously) is in a love triangle with goofy sailor Murphy ("The Gob") and straightlaced businessman O'Brien ("A Guy"). 

Twelve Crowded Hours (1939) YES! Another one to record.

You Can't Fool Your Wife (1940).  I haven't seen this one for awhile, but if I remember, Lucy wears a disguise to get her husband to be more interested in her. This film is ok.

10/22-10/23

Du Barry Was a Lady (1943) I haven't seen this one in a long time.  It features an early Gene Kelly appearance (post-For Me and My Gal, but pre-Anchors Aweigh). This film is remarkable as it is the first film Lucy made at MGM and is the first film that features Lucy in Technicolor and with her trademark red hair. 

Dance, Girl Dance (1940)  This is a great film featuring Lucy as a villain.  And, this film is important in Lucy-lore as it was the film Lucy was making when she met Desi Arnaz.  She had filmed her catfight scene with Maureen O'Hara and met Desi while still in makeup.  Sporting a (fake) black eye, tousled hair, and a ripped dress, her appearance did NOT impress Desi.

Ziegfeld Follies (1944) Lucy cracking a whip is probably one of the best scenes in an otherwise very lackluster and frankly, boring film.  For how much star power that is in this film, it is disappointing how dull it is. 

Meet the People (1944) Dick Powell's last musical.  This film is entertaining.  It features Bert Lahr in a fun musical number.  Overall, this is a light-hearted film and has some fun moments.

Look Who's Laughing (1941) I've seen this one before and honestly don't remember much about it.

That's Right--Your Wrong (1940) I've seen this one before too and honestly don't remember much except for thinking that Kay Kyser was annoying. 

Two Smart People (1946) This is a Jules Dassin-directed film starring Lucy and John Hodiak.  I have tried watching this movie multiple times and find it very confusing, but interesting.  I'll probably try watching it again.

10/28-10/29

Yours, Mine and Ours (1968) I'm not usually big on kid-centric films; but this film is very funny.  It has the 60s style opening credit sequences I enjoy, in this instance, the credits appear to be drawn by a child in crayon.  There are also some genuinely funny scenes and Lucy has some great comedic moments, such as when her (shortened and held together with pins) dress and fake eyelashes fall off in a crowded club while waiting for date Henry Fonda to come back with some Spanish coffees.  I would argue that both Lucy and Fonda are a little long in the tooth for their roles, but the film is still fun and entertaining. 

Mame (1974) I haven't seen this one, but honestly based on the scathing reviews, I'm afraid to watch it.  I also love Rosalind Russell in Auntie Mame so much, I'm not sure what to expect in the remake.  -But- I also love Lucy and co-star Bea Arthur, so I feel like I'll have to just bite the bullet and watch this movie.

Critic's Choice (1963) It's been a long time since I've seen this Ball/Hope film.  If I remember right, Hope plays a theater critic who has to review his wife's (Ball) play.  He doesn't like it, so he has to figure out how to delicately give it a negative review.

Valley of the Sun (1942) This was a Lucy film that was hard to see for a long time and one that I actually haven't seen yet.  I recorded it awhile back, but I haven't watched it yet.

Without Love (1945) Lucy has a very funny supporting role in this Hepburn-Tracy film.

Easy Living (1949) This is another film with Victor Mature and co-stars Lizabeth Scott.  I haven't seen this one in a long time, so I'll need to give it a re-watch.

Marines Fly High (1940) Yes! Another one to record

Best Foot Forward (1943) Lucy plays a fictionalized version of herself in this film.  It is fun if only for the appearance of a teenaged Virginia Weidler and a young Nancy Walker.

Having Wonderful Time (1938) I haven't seen this one for a long time, I'll need to rewatch

• Thanks 2

Based on what's showing, my Top 10 MUST-SEE Lucy films for her spotlight are:

1. The Long Long Trailer (obviously)

2. Stage Door 

3. A Girl, A Guy, and A Gob

4. Yours Mine and Ours

5. Dance, Girl Dance

6. Five Came Back

7. Beauty for the Asking

8. The Affairs of Annabel

9. Meet the People

10. Without Love

--

These films aren't featured, but should be: Miss Grant Takes Richmond, The Fuller Brush Girl, Lured, and The Dark Corner

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

These films aren't featured, but should be: Miss Grant Takes Richmond, The Fuller Brush Girl, Lured, and The Dark Corner

That's a little weird. That last one is Fox, I think, but I'm pretty sure the others are all RKO or United Artists. I've enjoyed all four of those movies.

20 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

That's a little weird. That last one is Fox, I think, but I'm pretty sure the others are all RKO or United Artists. I've enjoyed all four of those movies.

Miss Grant Takes Richmond and The Fuller Brush Girl are Columbia.  The Dark Corner is Fox.  I *think* Lured is United Artists. 

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, speedracer5 said:

Miss Grant Takes Richmond and The Fuller Brush Girl are Columbia.  The Dark Corner is Fox.  I *think* Lured is United Artists

Oops, goes to show how much I remember, although after my previous post, I started thinking "Well, maybe one of those movies is Columbia." I feel like I've seen all of them on TCM before. Well, not sure about The Dark Corner. There's been a good print of it on YouTube, and I may have only seen it there. I would have to go to MCOH's database to confirm any of them have actually aired. 

I don't know if anyone's actually interested, but this is my Lucy collection.  I am a big fan:

zdO4Co3.jpg dSl8nlp.jpg

XRbTxxQ.jpg

Since this photo was taken, I've also acquired: Lured, Without Love, Meet the People, and Two Smart People.  I also have a new book, Lucy Goes Home

Not pictured (because I didn't want to dig them out):

My Hallmark I Love Lucy ornaments: "Lucy Gets Into Pictures," "LA at Last!," "Lucy is Enciente," and "Lucy Does a TV Commercial."

• Like 5
14 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Miss Grant Takes Richmond and The Fuller Brush Girl are Columbia.  The Dark Corner is Fox.  I *think* Lured is United Artists. 

After she left MGM, she freelanced a bit then signed with Columbia. At Columbia she made HER HUSBAND'S AFFAIRS, MISS GRANT TAKES RICHMOND, THE FULLER BRUSH GIRL and THE MAGIC CARPET. She also had a cameo in the Roz Russell comedy A WOMAN OF DISTINCTION at Columbia.

9 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Oops, goes to show how much I remember, although after my previous post, I started thinking "Well, maybe one of those movies is Columbia." I feel like I've seen all of them on TCM before. Well, not sure about The Dark Corner. There's been a good print of it on YouTube, and I may have only seen it there. I would have to go to MCOH's database to confirm any of them have actually aired. 

See my note above. THE DARK CORNER was one she made as a freelancer, at Fox.

• Thanks 1
On 8/19/2021 at 9:46 AM, speedracer5 said:

Yes! I think Lucille Ball is SOTM. She’s my fave. Great choice TCM. 

I had my Edward Brophy day - at least it seems so.  Now you get your Lucille Ball month.  Congrats, you win!  😁

I am looking forward to it.

10 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

Coincidentally, Leonard Maltin posted an article today about some interviews Lucy did with celebrity friends that will be made available as podcasts:

https://leonardmaltin.com/lets-talk-to-lucy/

Any idea where these podcasts will be?  Not to put you up to it, only post if you already know.  I was able to find several of these short radio shows already on YT.  Including the two Frank Sinatra ones.