Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

When is October schedule available?


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Any idea where these podcasts will be?  Not to put you up to it, only post if you already know.  I was able to find several of these short radio shows already on YT.  Including the two Frank Sinatra ones.

Looks like they're doing one Lucy interview per week:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/lets-talk-to-lucy/id1579178174

Don't see any Frank Sinatra episodes there yet.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I also haven't seen Lucy's last film, Stone Pillow (1985), but I don't know if I want to see Lucy as an old bag lady

There are a few interesting stories behind the making of this TV movie, related in Lee Tannen's book "I Loved Lucy." (Lee was related to Lucy by marriage, since he was a cousin of Lucy's husband Gary Morton).

Anyway Lee says that Lucy tried plastic surgery in the 70s but she had such sensitive skin, it caused her face to bruise severely. So she never attempted plastic surgery again. In the mid-80s (before she returned to sitcoms in Life with Lucy) she was looking for a project where she didn't have to get all dolled up. 

Because she did not do anymore plastic surgery her face was sagging. When she would appear on Bob Hope's specials or make a public appearance, they had to pull her sagging skin up and clip it under a wig (sounds painful!). 

With her role in STONE PILLOW as a derelict woman, she could let her face sag naturally and people would think it was part of the makeup for the character.

While they were filming on the streets of New York City, the crew stopped for lunch one day. Lucy's husband Gary showed up to whisk her off to a nearby four-star restaurant. However, they were turned away at the door because the maitre d' thought Gary was trying to bring an actual bag lady into the place. They did not believe she was really Lucille Ball.

screen

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I just looked over the offerings for Lucille Ball's tribute.

At present, there are three open slots on October 21/22 and one open slot on October 28.

3F0586B9-682A-4BF9-9949-AE739B0A8636_1_201_a

So here's hoping that they bring in a few Lucy films from outside the Turner library...like THE DARK CORNER (1946), LOVER COME BACK (1946), or MISS GRANT TAKES RICHMOND (1949). 

My guess is they will choose THE BIG STREET (1942) for the slot on October 28, since it is an RKO picture and is in the Turner library, and it will make a good follow-up to YOURS MINE AND OURS. Both films feature her with Henry Fonda.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I don't know if anyone's actually interested, but this is my Lucy collection.  I am a big fan:

zdO4Co3.jpg dSl8nlp.jpg

 XRbTxxQ.jpg

Since this photo was taken, I've also acquired: Lured, Without Love, Meet the People, and Two Smart People.  I also have a new book, Lucy Goes Home

Not pictured (because I didn't want to dig them out):

My Hallmark I Love Lucy ornaments: "Lucy Gets Into Pictures," "LA at Last!," "Lucy is Enciente," and "Lucy Does a TV Commercial."

Not quite as big a fan, but I do have 5 of those books (and a couple more) and the DVD box set of I Love Lucy.  

I don't remember how I came across it, but my copy of Laughs, Luck and Lucy is signed by the author (Gregg Oppenheimer)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/19/2021 at 9:35 PM, speedracer5 said:

Based on what's showing, my Top 10 MUST-SEE Lucy films for her spotlight are:

1. The Long Long Trailer (obviously)

2. Stage Door 

3. A Girl, A Guy, and A Gob

4. Yours Mine and Ours

5. Dance, Girl Dance

6. Five Came Back

7. Beauty for the Asking

8. The Affairs of Annabel

9. Meet the People

10. Without Love

--

These films aren't featured, but should be: Miss Grant Takes Richmond, The Fuller Brush Girl, Lured, and The Dark Corner

Beauty for the Asking is a great B film and not only stars Lucy but also gives a large role to Frieda Inescort, one of my favorite British actresses. (I think she's a Scot.)  To not include The Dark Corner is a huge mistake in a month where Lucy is SOTM.  Very interesting film and while the leading man is a bit dull, Lucy is fine.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, lydecker said:

Beauty for the Asking is a great B film and not only stars Lucy but also gives a large role to Frieda Inescort, one of my favorite British actresses. (I think she's a Scot.)  To not include The Dark Corner is a huge mistake in a month where Lucy is SOTM.  Very interesting film and while the leading man is a bit dull, Lucy is fine.

I love Beauty for the Asking too! I agree with you about The Dark Corner. I wish they’d also played Lured. I’ve found that even in a meh film, like the remake of Libeled Lady (Easy to Wed) Lucy is always reliable. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I love Beauty for the Asking too! I agree with you about The Dark Corner. I wish they’d also played Lured. I’ve found that even in a meh film, like the remake of Libeled Lady (Easy to Wed) Lucy is always reliable. 

I forgot about Lured.  That may be my favorite Lucy film.  Lucy working for Scotland Yard.  What could be better?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, lydecker said:

I forgot about Lured.  That may be my favorite Lucy film.  Lucy working for Scotland Yard.  What could be better?

Yes! Lured has such a great cast too.  Aside from Lucy (my fave), you've also got George Sanders, Boris Karloff, and Charles Coburn!  I am so excited that I finally got my own copy of Lured for my personal film collection.

Lucy deserved a bigger film career, but had she gotten one, we might have been deprived of her television work! 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

Yes! Lured has such a great cast too.  Aside from Lucy (my fave), you've also got George Sanders, Boris Karloff, and Charles Coburn!  I am so excited that I finally got my own copy of Lured for my personal film collection.

Lucy deserved a bigger film career, but had she gotten one, we might have been deprived of her television work! 

Charles Coburn and George Zucco are wonderful as is George Sanders.  Super cast. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Any apparent daytime/nighttime themes (like, say  --  "Lady Spies") in the month of October?  I'm talking about daytime and primetime themes  --  I took a quick look at the October schedule and other than Lucille Ball as SOTM and Halloween films, nothing jumped out to me.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, lydecker said:

Any apparent daytime/nighttime themes (like, say  --  "Lady Spies") in the month of October?  I'm talking about daytime and primetime themes  --  I took a quick look at the October schedule and other than Lucille Ball as SOTM and Halloween films, nothing jumped out to me.  

I have a schedule overview that lists many of the themes for the month.

You can find a summary for October at

http://escapepress.com/tcmsched/tcm_overview.html

TCM is slowly populating the schedule information.  The first 3 weeks are fairly solid now but the rest is still spotty.  In addition to horror and Lucy there are also repeating themes for ‘Big Country’ and New Wave films.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I wished it would happen and it is!  Scott Eyman will be a guest in early October to promote his new book on Darryl F  Zanuck and the Fox studio,i have the book on pre-order since early july, out in 2-3 weeks.Zanuck was by far the best mogul of the film era,he could do everything,he was a great editor among other things.Also the most 'vigorous' of the Studio System...😉

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cmovieviewer said:

I have a schedule overview that lists many of the themes for the month.

You can find a summary for October at

http://escapepress.com/tcmsched/tcm_overview.html

TCM is slowly populating the schedule information.  The first 3 weeks are fairly solid now but the rest is still spotty.  In addition to horror and Lucy there are also repeating themes for ‘Big Country’ and New Wave films.

Just what I was looking for.  Thank you, thank you!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The schedule!

Daytime October 1 Pre-Code Horror. The Most Dangerous Game and King Kong recently aired back-to-back as part of the monthly spotlight on Max Steiner. I'm not sure what was up with Fay Wray's contract situation that she was making pictures for RKO, Majestic and Warner Bros. all in the same year. Certainly unusual for the era, I would think.

The Most Dangerous Game (Joel McCrea, Fay Wray) (RKO, 1932)
White Zombie (Bella Lugosi, Madge Bellamy) (United Artists, 1932)
Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (Frederic March, Miriam Hopkins) (Paramount, 1932)
Dr. X (Lionel Atwill, Fay Wray) (Warner Bros., 1932)
Freaks (Wallace Ford, Leila Hyams) (MGM, 1932)
King Kong (Robert Armstrong, Fay Wray) (RKO, 1933)
The Vampire Bat (Lionel Atwill, Fay Wray) (Majestic, 1933)
Mystery of the Wax Museum (Lionel Atwill, Fay Wray) (Warner Bros., 1933)

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Primetime October 1 Cinematography by John Alonzo

Harold and Maude (Ruth Gordon, Bud Cort) (Paramount, 1971)
The Bad News Bears (Walter Matthau, Tatum O'Neal) (Paramount, 1976)
Black Sunday (Robert Shaw, Bruce Dern) (Paramount, 1977)

TCM Underground.  It's blaxploitation movies!

Truck Turner (Isaac Hayes, Yahphet Kotto) (AIP, 1974)
Dolemite (Rudy Ray Moore, D'urville Martin) (Dimension, 1975)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Daytime October 2

Morning is Saturday matinee. This month, there are MGM cartoons, Our Gang shorts, Perry Mason B-movies,  travel shorts and a Batman serial. I'm only listing the features.

Haunted Honeymoon (Robert Montgomery, Constance Cummings) (MGM, 1940)
Ladies Must Live (Wayne Morris, Rosemary Lane) (Warner Bros., 1940)

Afternoon is boxing film

Somebody Up There Likes Me  (Paul Newman, Pier Angeli) (MGM, 1956)
Requiem for a Heavyweight (Anthony Quinn, Julie Harris) (Columbia, 1962)
The Greatest (Muhammad Ali, Ernest Borgnine) (Columbia, 1977)
The Champ (Jon Voight, Faye Dunnaway) (MGM, 1979)

 

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Primetime October 2

It's a 100th anniversary of Fleischer animation presentation. I don't see any specifics listed, but I presume it will mostly be Popeye and Superman shorts. That will make it almost entirely Paramount releases, which, given the primetime theme of last night, makes the first two days of the month unusually Paramount heavy.

Noir Alley

The Glass Wall (Vittorio Gassman, Gloria Grahame) (Columbia, 1953)

Overnight are a couple of Peter Sellers films:

I Love You, Alice B. Toklas! (Peter Sellers, Jo Van Fleet) (Warner Bros., 1968)
Being There (Peter Sellers, Shirley Maclaine) (United Artists, 1979)  

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2021 at 9:35 PM, speedracer5 said:

These films aren't featured, but should be: Miss Grant Takes Richmond, The Fuller Brush Girl, Lured, and The Dark Corner

I just looked & think they've been added! (I already have them on DVD)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...