Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

♠ SAGE WISDOM ♠

Mr. Gorman

8 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

SAGE WISDOM:   The biggest problem with Kathryn Grayson musicals is that she sings 🎙️  in them. 

So, I take it you're not a big fan coloratura sopranos, eh Mr. G?! Or, might it be that you just don't think she sings all that well?

(...in my case, I have to admit that Miss Grayson sometimes impresses me with her singing voice, and even though in most cases I'll take listening to almost any popular music songstress who can carry a tune over her operatic one)

• Like 1

Her style of singing more often than not drives me to distraction.  I've tried to enjoy her movies . . . but it's a tough task.  → I keep getting this nagging feeling while watching that her musicals would be better if she were ♦muted♦.  Not exactly because of her voice but the operatic style of singing gives me a headache frequently.  Then I ask myself:  Is it really worth giving these movies another shot?  I don't have a complete answer just yet.  KISS ME KATE is ok; I like that one well enough.  

There was this one film with Mickey Rooney where Miss Grayson was singing on a stage (near the end of the movie, I believe) and I wanted to muzzle her.  That's one movie I shall either not view again or put the volume way down when she starts singing.  I've learned my lesson with that one; think it's an 'Andy Hardy' movie but I can't remember offhand.  I'd have to go to the IMDb and look it up!  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

There was this one film with Mickey Rooney where Miss Grayson was singing on a stage (near the end of the movie, I believe) and I wanted to muzzle her.  That's one movie I shall either not view again or put the volume way down when she starts singing.  I've learned my lesson with that one; think it's an 'Andy Hardy' movie but I can't remember offhand.  I'd have to go to the IMDb and look it up!  

Yep, looking at her IMDb filmography right now, her very first film credit was in 1941's Andy Hardy's Private Secretary.

And re not liking that genre of music...this has reminded me of all the times in the past people on these boards have mentioned their dislike of listening to some of the male actors who also sang in a tenor vocal range in their pictures and such as Dick Powell during the early part of his career, and Dennis Morgan.

But in my case once again, I've never minded listening to either of them at all, and especially have always liked it whenever I see Dennis Morgan break into his Irish tenor singing voice during one of his old movies.

(...and in a way, I've always considered this sort of thing a "lost art", and although the general consenus around here seems to be that this "lost art" is way too "old hat" for their tastes)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

Her style of singing more often than not drives me to distraction.  I've tried to enjoy her movies . . . but it's a tough task.  → I keep getting this nagging feeling while watching that her musicals would be better if she were ♦muted♦.  Not exactly because of her voice but the operatic style of singing gives me a headache frequently.  Then I ask myself:  Is it really worth giving these movies another shot?  I don't have a complete answer just yet.  KISS ME KATE is ok; I like that one well enough.  

I've Always Been Musically Mesmerized By the Auditorium Performance of Edel Weiss from the Sound of Music. Otherwise i must say i've never been the biggest fan of said film.

On Obliquely the same topic, I'm (also) A Big Aficionado of Rebecca Luker (r.i.p.), Alison Krauss, and Gretchen Parlato.

To Go Along with (Scores of) Others..

18 hours ago, Aritosthenes said:

On Obliquely the same topic, I'm (also) A Big Aficionado of Rebecca Luker (r.i.p.), Alison Krauss, and Gretchen Parlato.

I love Rebecca Luker and Alison Krauss, too! Krauss' song, "Jacob's Dream" chokes me up every time I hear it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sagebrush said:

I love Rebecca Luker and Alison Krauss, too! Krauss' song, "Jacob's Dream" chokes me up every time I hear it.

Kalos.

Its, Horrible That Madam Luker is no longer With Us In Form.

She, Has an EXQUISITE Interpretive Re-Telling of Marian the Librarian's GoodeNight My Someone.

+10/10.

+A.

5 hours ago, sagebrush said:

Here Ya Go.

Might Not Be Everyone's Cup of Tea. Its asmr though at some of its Finest for me.

Madam Luker is GORGEOUS.

And Her Voice.. - BEAUTIFUL.

• Like 1