Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recently took a virtual tour of Doris Day's house in Carmel that's been on the market for over a year at $7.4 mil.  Betty Thomas has her Hollywood Hills pad for sale at about $8 mil.  Oprah's Washington state house would make a nice cabin at a lake. 🤑

Anyone watch Million Dollar Listings Los Angeles?  Season 13 premieres Sept 2, 2021 at 8 pm EST on Bravo.  If you didn't catch Season 12, try to watch at least the first two episodes at Bravo On-Demand or Peacock.  And tour the terrific contemporary cliffside mansion that Josh Flagg & Josh Altman have listed for $25 million.

2 hours ago, SansFin said:

There are eight bedrooms. Only a savage shares a bathroom with a person with whom they are not intimate.

A kitchen properly needs a half-bath attached so that the cook does not need to traipse through the house while covered with flour, blood or etc..

A house needs a half-bath on each floor so that guests do not need to barge through bedrooms.

It may be that that house should have more. It has been many years since I have read the figures but it sticks in my mind that houses should be designed so that facilities are never more than twenty steps away. 

You must live in a different world than I do! I guess I'm a savage then. LOL

• Haha 1
Just now, filmnoirguy said:

Recently took a virtual tour of Doris Day's house in Carmel that's been on the market for over a year at $7.4 mil.  Betty Thomas has her Hollywood Hills pad for sale at about $8 mil.  Oprah's Washington state house would make a nice cabin at a lake. 🤑

Anyone watch Million Dollar Listings Los Angeles?  Season 13 premieres Sept 2, 2021 at 8 pm EST on Bravo.  If you didn't catch Season 12, try to watch at least the first two episodes at Bravo On-Demand or Peacock.  And tour the terrific contemporary cliffside mansion that Josh Flagg & Josh Altman have listed.

I saw Doris' place and its beautiful. Very comfortable kind of country place.

• Like 2

Now, if you really want to look at some wealthy homes/apartments, look at the Vanderbilts (sp?) and Astors.  They used to have separate housing for their children so that they wouldn't be bothered.  You need megabucks just for upkeep (I used to watched Scott McG. on Income Properties, and he would advise homeowners (who considered renting out their basement) the expenses involved.  Living in a house that big would freak me out.  When I lived in Queens, my little apartment was broken into - still have PTSD from it.  Like my house in WNY - manageable for me.

• Like 1

Hey Hibi here is one for you :Marion Davies's 'Beach House'  build by Hearst, for her pleasure on Santa Monica Beach.Some of it still exist there..110 rooms AND 55 BATHS,She was surely hiding the booze in most of them... 

Originally developed during the Gold Coast era of the 1920s by William Randolph Hearst for actress Marion Davies. The Davies estate featured a mansion of 100-plus rooms and an ornate marble swimming pool. As with many Hearst projects, the vision of architect Julia Morgan provided a cohesive grace to the rambling estate. The Beach House was a hot spot on Santa Monica's Gold Coast, with Hearst and Davies entertaining luminaries from the Hollywood set, such as Charlie Chaplin, Louis B. Mayer, Samuel Goldwyn, Greta Garbo, Clark Gable and other stars of the day.

In 1947, Joseph Drown purchased the property from Davies and converted into Oceanhouse, "America's Most Beautiful Hotel," along with the Sand & Sea Club, a limited-membership beach club. After the Oceanhouse venture ended, the main mansion was demolished in 1956

• Like 1

It's cheeseball fun.  Champagne wishes and caviar dreams, or some such nonsense.

I didn't recall Donald Trump walking with Michael Jackson in the introduction montage.

17 hours ago, Fausterlitz said:

Well, if you're that into marble, you might prefer Trump's tastefully restrained $100 million "celebrity home":

Slobs needs marble because they spill & splash a lot.

16 hours ago, TomJH said:

Here's where I spend a lot of time reading, among other things.

I really do have an outhouse. It was attached to the house & fitted with plumbing in the early 50's for my great grandmother. My Mother remembers having to walk outside, through the back porch to get to the crescent door-in WINTER! I still have a remnant of the original door hanging on the (now interior) door.

I just watched a documentary on Linda Ronstadt where she describes arriving in LA in the late 60's & living in a Malibu Beach dream "cottage". The cottages looked few & far between like you see at the end of Kiss Me Deadly.

Stop thinking these houses are excessive, celebrities need huge rooms for parties. In our normal size houses 20-30 people is super crowded & people spill into other rooms. I'm sure when Mirren or Oprah have parties 75+ people show up. It's not like they can socialize publicly.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, TikiSoo said:

I really do have an outhouse. It was attached to the house & fitted with plumbing in the early 50's for my great grandmother. My Mother remembers having to walk outside, through the back porch to get to the crescent door-in WINTER! I still have a remnant of the original door hanging on the (now interior) door.

I had an outhouse with a crescent moon on the door attached to a cottage we owned when I was a kid. However, unlike yours, it had no plumbing and I primarily remember sitting in the thing while trying to hold my breath a lot. Flies used to visit me through that crescent moon.

Oh, I've been to hell and back and I'm here to tell the tale.

• Like 2

A few months ago I stumbled across some home movies on YT of stars' cookout parties at Malibu.

They were from the mid to late 1960s. Mostly A listers with a few lesser knowns thrown in.  Most

people commented on how informal and casual everything was. Hot dogs and hamburgers and stars

with cans of beer in their hands, the women watching the children. Quite amusing.

There were outhouses at some of the Boy Scout camps I went to as a kid. Yuck. One set of my grandparents

had an outhouse which they kept as an "extra" after they installed indoor plumbing. So if the in house bathroom

was occupied and one couldn't wait there was the outhouse option, but no crescent moon. The last sound you

want to hear in an outhouse is a bee buzzing, especially if the sound is coming from below. 

• Haha 1
On 8/13/2021 at 9:53 AM, txfilmfan said:

If I pictured cozy and little, this is not what comes to my mind...

She paid 10 million to have a private road built in the middle of private property to her house in Maui so she wouldn't have to drive to the North side of the island to get to her place on existing roads.

• Like 1
On 8/13/2021 at 4:36 PM, nakano said:

Hey Hibi here is one for you :Marion Davies's 'Beach House'  build by Hearst, for her pleasure on Santa Monica Beach.Some of it still exist there..110 rooms AND 55 BATHS,She was surely hiding the booze in most of them... 

Originally developed during the Gold Coast era of the 1920s by William Randolph Hearst for actress Marion Davies. The Davies estate featured a mansion of 100-plus rooms and an ornate marble swimming pool. As with many Hearst projects, the vision of architect Julia Morgan provided a cohesive grace to the rambling estate. The Beach House was a hot spot on Santa Monica's Gold Coast, with Hearst and Davies entertaining luminaries from the Hollywood set, such as Charlie Chaplin, Louis B. Mayer, Samuel Goldwyn, Greta Garbo, Clark Gable and other stars of the day.

In 1947, Joseph Drown purchased the property from Davies and converted into Oceanhouse, "America's Most Beautiful Hotel," along with the Sand & Sea Club, a limited-membership beach club. After the Oceanhouse venture ended, the main mansion was demolished in 1956

davies.png

Yes, I've heard of it. Looks like a hotel! :D And it seems it was for awhile. Sad to hear it's gone.

A couple blocks west of the Chaplin Studios (was A&M Records, now Jim Henson Company) on La Brea, there's a group of small bungalows where Chaplin and other stars lived while working at the studios. They are known as The Chaplin Cottages 1328 N. Formosa Ave. For a while I lived between the two locations and at that time there were 4 or 5 more cottages  that were smaller and considerably more dilapidated. They didn't survive but this group has been refurbished and available for rent. One of them is listed on AirBNB. 

Chaplin built a couple more,  The Charlie Hotel at 819 N. Sweetzer Ave. and the Normandie Towers at 7219 Hampton Ave. The list of names who lived and partied at these locations reads like an early Hollywood who's who. 

Henson-studios-960x640-1200x0-c-default.

chaplin-cottages.jpg

More info; https://patch.com/california/westhollywood/charlie-chaplin-s-courtyard-cottages-leave-their-mark-west-hollywood

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/9363080?source_impression_id=p3_1629151230_X5BUX2NwtEKYSKK%2B&guests=1&adults=1

• Like 5
12 minutes ago, Moe Howard said:

A couple blocks west of the Chaplin Studios (was A&M Records, now Jim Henson Company) on La Brea, there's a group of small bungalows where Chaplin and other stars lived while working at the studios. They are known as The Chaplin Cottages 1328 N. Formosa Ave. For a while I lived between the two locations and at that time there were 4 or 5 more cottages  that were smaller and considerably more dilapidated. They didn't survive but this group has been refurbished and available for rent. One of them is listed on AirBNB. 

Chaplin built a couple more,  The Charlie Hotel at 819 N. Sweetzer Ave. and the Normandie Towers at 7219 Hampton Ave. The list of names who lived and partied at these locations reads like an early Hollywood who's who. 

chaplin-cottages.jpg

More info; https://patch.com/california/westhollywood/charlie-chaplin-s-courtyard-cottages-leave-their-mark-west-hollywood

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/9363080?source_impression_id=p3_1629151230_X5BUX2NwtEKYSKK%2B&guests=1&adults=1

Yes, I've seen pictures of it when it was the A&M studios.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Moe Howard said:

chaplin-cottages.jpg

Always wondered if Chaplin was homesick for England given the architecture.

• Like 1

Whoever owns this one has the right to be called a celebrity.  There are some incredible photographs if you click on the article.

On the top of the world! Stunning six-story apartment in the spire of the Woolworth Building - once the tallest in the world - hits the market for $79million 

On top of the world! $79million apartment in the spire of the Woolworth Building hits the

The suite, known as 'The Pinnacle' sits on 2 Park Place, in Tribeca, and spans 9,680-square-feet through floors 50 to 58 within the building's pyramid spire, and a spiral staircase is located at the very top to allow the suite's future resident to go from their apartment to the cupola terrace that overlooks the city. Renderings from famed architect David Hotson transform the unfinished suite into something akin to a yacht in the sky.

46911561-9911897-image-a-76_162947693933

• Like 3
On 8/14/2021 at 8:01 PM, Vautrin said:

A few months ago I stumbled across some home movies on YT of stars' cookout parties at Malibu.

They were from the mid to late 1960s. Mostly A listers with a few lesser knowns thrown in.  Most

people commented on how informal and casual everything was. Hot dogs and hamburgers and stars

with cans of beer in their hands, the women watching the children. Quite amusing.

There were outhouses at some of the Boy Scout camps I went to as a kid. Yuck. One set of my grandparents

had an outhouse which they kept as an "extra" after they installed indoor plumbing. So if the in house bathroom

was occupied and one couldn't wait there was the outhouse option, but no crescent moon. The last sound you

want to hear in an outhouse is a bee buzzing, especially if the sound is coming from below. 

Those videos you were looking at Vautrin were most likely the home movies made by Roddy McDowall at his Malibu beach house.

I distinctly remember one of 'em that slowly panned over a sunbathing Natalie Wood.

(...yummmmmy)

Again, click on the article for great pictures.  It's going cheap!

Finally made them an offer they couldn't refuse! LA mega-mansion where 'The Godfather' was filmed and which was once home to William Randolph Hearst sells for $47M - 14 YEARS after hitting the market for $198M

Finally! William Randolph Hearst's one-time LA home sells for $47m after 14 YEARS on the

Mega-mansion owned by William Randolph Hearst is set to sell for $47million after asking for $195million. The property is featured in The Godfather and a few Beyoncé music videos. After the current owner filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy, the property was listed to $90million and eventually $69.95million. It will go to auction at September 14.

16 hours ago, Dargo said:

Those videos you were looking at Vautrin were most likely the home movies made by Roddy McDowall at his Malibu beach house.

I distinctly remember one of 'em that slowly panned over a sunbathing Natalie Wood.

(...yummmmmy)

If I recall correctly, many of them were filmed by Roddy McDowell, but perhaps not all of them.

Of course if someone slowly panned the camera over Natalie Wood maybe Roddy had handed

the camera over to someone else. I just saw one on my YT "list" the other day but didn't have time

to watch it. They truly do act like "just folks" for the most part. 

2 hours ago, Vautrin said:

If I recall correctly, many of them were filmed by Roddy McDowell, but perhaps not all of them.

Of course if someone slowly panned the camera over Natalie Wood maybe Roddy had handed

the camera over to someone else. I just saw one on my YT "list" the other day but didn't have time

to watch it. They truly do act like "just folks" for the most part. 

Yeah, well, whoever the cameraman was that day (although I still think it was probably Roddy), I thank them for documenting Natalie's beauteousness here on May 16th 1965...

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Dargo said:

Yeah, well, whoever the cameraman was that day (although I still think it was probably Roddy), I thank them for documenting Natalie's beauteousness here on May 16th 1965...

Yep. Unless it's a trick of the lighting, Natalie looks kind of pale. Probably just starting on her

tan. Also probably needs someone to put some suntan lotion all over her. When this video

ends another one starts with Kirk Douglas, Lauren Bacall, Paul Newman and other stars.

These Hollywood stars drinking that fancy imported beer.......Budweiser. 

Ignore the Daily Mail gossip and click on the headline for some great shots of this home.

Matt Damon slashes price of his LA mansion by $3.1m in bid to sell it amid fury over his admission that he only recently gave up using the homophobic slur 'f*****'

Matt Damon is slashing price of his LA mansion by $3.1m after f-slur controversy

Matt Damon has cut $3.1million from the initial asking price of $21million in the listing of his LA home, just weeks after coming under fire for admitting to have just recently stopped using an anti-gay slur. He later retracted and said he doesn't use any slurs. The 13,508sq-ft LA property has three floors and boasts seven bedrooms, ten bathrooms, and a hot tub.

• 2 weeks later...

Click on the headline for some great shots of this home.

Al Capone's Miami Beach home - where gangster planned the St. Valentine's Day Massacre and died in 1947 - is to be demolished after new owners bought it for $10.75M

Al Capone's Miami Beach home to be demolished after new owners bought it for $10.75M

The South Florida home, where Capone lived for nearly 20 years, was purchased by a pair of developers this summer, however they don't plan on renovating it. One of the property's new owners, Todd Glaser, told the Herald that the nine-bedroom home sits at three feet below sea level, which has led to extensive flood damage to the property. 'We're going to get this knocked down,' he said of Capone's home, which currently has standing water underneath it. 'The house is a piece of crap,' Glaser added. 'It's a disgrace to Miami Beach.' Glaser purchased the home with his business partner, Nelson Gonzalez, who is a senior vice president of Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices.