Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Vintage Hollywood Celebrity Homes

TomJH

Bogie's celebrity homes thread made me think that it might be fun to take a look at some of the homes of vintage Hollywood celebrities. Here are some shots of the 20 acre Encino ranch owned by Clark Gable and Carole Lombard. Following Carole's death Gable would remain there for the rest of his life, I believe, hearing from one source that he suffered his fatal heart attack in the driveway.

Clark Gable and Carole Lombard's House in California | Architectural DigestRanch home of Clark Gable and Carole Lombard, Encino, California, circa  1948 — Calisphere

Clark Gable and Carole Lombard's House in California | Architectural Digest

Hollywood Historic Photos - Clark Gable Estate 1938

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Pickfair, the legendary home of Mary Pickford and Douglas Fairbanks.  An 18 acre estate located in Beverly Hills, people really knew they were "in" in Hollywood society if invited here. Among those entertained here during the '20s and early '30s were George Bernard Shaw, Charlie Chaplin (Fairbanks was his best friend), F. Scott Fitzgerald, H. G. Wells, Lillian Gish, Joan Crawford, Albert Einstein and Charles Lindbergh.

Doug and Mary divorced in 1936 but Pickford would continue to live here (with husband Buddy Rogers) until her death in 1979.

Pickfair Estate in Los Angeles, CA (Google Maps)

Pickfair :: Pickfair Estate

pickfair « HOLLYWOODLAND

Pickfair, Beverly Hills — Calisphere

From Wikipedia:

Empty for several years after Pickford's death in 1979, Pickfair was eventually sold to Los Angeles Lakers owner Jerry Buss, who continued to care for the home, updating and preserving much of its unique charm.[13] In 1988, it was purchased by actress Pia Zadora and her husband Meshulam Riklis.[5] They announced they were planning renovations to the famous estate, but revealed in 1990 that they had in fact demolished Pickfair and a new larger "Venetian style palazzo" was going to be constructed in its place. In 1990, the 42 room estates was razed.[14]

Faced with harsh criticism from a nostalgic public, including Douglas Fairbanks, Jr., Zadora defended her family's actions, stating that the house was allegedly in a poor state of repair and was infested by termites. In the L.A. Times, Fairbanks, Jr. was quoted as saying, "I regret it very much. I wonder, if they were going to demolish it, why they bought it in the first place."

In 2012, Pia Zadora claimed on Season 4, Episode 4 of the BIO channel's Celebrity Ghost Stories that the real reason she demolished Pickfair was not due to termite infestation but because it was haunted by the laughing ghost of a woman who allegedly died there while having an affair with Douglas Fairbanks. Pia Zadora told her story in the Celebrity Ghost Stories on September 15, 2012; Season 4 Episode 12 starring Erin Moran, Pia Zadora and Michael Beach.

In the interview she stated, "Years ago my husband and I tore down one of the most iconic Hollywood mansions because of termites … but that wasn't the real reason. When we moved into the house it was beautiful, everything was perfect, it was a dream … but weird things started to happen … so my husband and I, after trying to figure out what to do, decided we were going to have the house razed."

Defending her actions, she explained, "If I had a choice, I never would have torn down this old home. I loved this home, it had a history, it had a very important sense about it and you can deal with termites, and you can deal with plumbing issues, but you can't deal with the supernatural."

The only remaining artifacts from the original Pickfair are the gates to the estate, the kidney-shaped pool and pool house, remnants of the living room, as well as the two-bedroom guest wing that played host to visiting royalty and notable film celebrities for over half a century. The guest wing was once used as a honeymoon suite for Lord Louis and Lady Mountbatten

• Like 5

Harold Lloyd's Estate

From Wikipedia: The Harold Lloyd Estate, also known as Greenacres, is a large mansion and landscaped estate located in the Benedict Canyon section of Beverly Hills, California. Built in the late 1920s by silent film star Harold Lloyd, it remained Lloyd's home until his death in 1971. The estate originally consisted of a 44-room mansion, golf course, outbuildings, and 900-foot (270 m) canoe run on 15 acres (61,000 m2). Greenacres has been called "the most impressive movie star's estate ever created."[3] After Lloyd died, the acreage in the lower part of the estate along Benedict Canyon was subdivided into approximately 14 large home lots. The mansion, on top of its own hill, retained approximately 5 original acres of flat land. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.

Harold Lloyd's House (former) in Beverly Hills, CA (Google Maps)

Mary Mallory / Hollywood Heights — Greenacres Is the Place to Be |

Postcard Harold Lloyd Estate Courtyard Califronia 1925 Rolls Royce  Springfield | United States - California - Other, Postcard / HipPostcard

Courtyard with 1925 Rolls Royce

49 Harold Lloyd's Greenacres Estate ideas | harold lloyd, lloyd, silent  film stars

• Like 5

Thanks for doing all that work-interesting to see both outside & inside views. There are several films uploaded on the internet of "Hollywood Star's homes" probably taken from tour busses.

I have an old magazine from the 80's chronicling Pia Zadora's restoration of Pickfair. I don't buy either of her reasons for demolishing the place. Termites can be exterminated, damage replaced with new wood (I know, I've had to do this) which seems costly but isn't as costly as rebuilding anything in modern dollars. As for "ghosts"- well I have those too and you have to honestly believe in that for it to bother you. (I don't but my guests do)

I think it's all a publicity grab for someone who just tired of the constant, dirty work of restoration. That house should have been saved. Someday, these homes -if kept original- could be tourist attractions like the Newport Mansions in Rhode Island & F.L. Wright houses.

• Like 3

Gary Cooper's final home in Holmby Hills, a modernistic one level structure built in 1955. A wood, stone and glass structure it still stands today at 200 Baroda Drive. Clearly Coop was inspired to work with architect A. Quincy Jones on this then unusual home following his playing architect Howard Roark in The Fountainhead. Cooper would die here in 1961.

baroda01.jpg

Baroda Park Estate « Beverly Hills Real Estate | Beverly Hills Homes for  Sale – Linda May

Encore Performance: The Gary Cooper House - Page 2 | Eichler NetworkElsie de Wolfe for Gary Cooper | Doyle Auction House

• Like 3

Errol Flynn's legendary/infamous Mulholland Drive home (oh, the parties). Later Ricky Nelson would move into it, and there would be ghost stories, including a couple of poltergeist events.

Errol Flynn - Rogue Hero ||| Biography

Ricky Nelson — Late night Creepy Post!! Here's Errol Flynn's...

Errol Flynn: Errol Flynn Homes | Hollywood homes, Old hollywood homes, Errol  flynn

23 Hollywood hills ideas | hollywood, vintage los angeles, hollywood hills

Errol Flynn in his sumptuous house located in the Hollywood hills... News  Photo - Getty Images

Yes, that is an original Gaugain hanging on the wall. Flynn was an art lover.

• Like 5

Liberace's Sherman Oaks home:                 postcard3complete.jpg

...and much more to the point, its piano pool, 1954:

Liberace-standing-in-front-of-his-piano-shaped-pool-in-his-home-in-Sherman-Oaks-California-1954.jpg?w=679&ssl=1

It's still there as far as I know.

• Like 5

A house with a gruesome history, 9820 Easton Drive in Benedict Canyon, LA.

lll-642x500.jpg

Jay Sebring House - A House Packed With History!

This is the house where Jean Harlow lived with her husband Paul Bern for a short while.

Jean Harlow and Paul Bern

Paul Bern and Jean Harlow at home

In 1932 Bern would be found fatally shot under still mysterious circumstances. Suicide? Murder? Endless talk of a studio cover up to protect their star, with Dorothy Millette, a former girlfriend of Bern's, jumping off a boat to her death two days after his death. She had visited the house the night before he died. Harlow moved out of the house soon afterward, never speaking publicly about her husband's death. She would be dead five years later.

Sebring and Tate

In 1963 hair stylist Jay Sebring moved into the house with his girlfriend Sharon Tate (until she left him for Roman Polanski). Tate would tell friends of creepy experiences there. Tate reported being asleep when she saw a "creepy little man," believing it to be the ghost of Paul Bern. Terrified, she ran from the room only to see a hanging corpse with its throat slit in the hallway, she said. Six years later Tate and Sebring would both be among the gruesome victims of the Manson Family murders at 10050 Cielo Drive.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, TomJH said:

A house with a gruesome history, 9820 Easton Drive in Benedict Canyon, LA.

lll-642x500.jpg

Jay Sebring House - A House Packed With History!

This is the house where Jean Harlow lived with her husband Paul Bern for a short while.

Jean Harlow and Paul Bern

Paul Bern and Jean Harlow at home

In 1932 Bern would be found fatally shot under still mysterious circumstances. Suicide? Murder? Endless talk of a studio cover up to protect their star, with Dorohty Millette, a former girlfriend of Bern's, jumping off a boat to her death two days after his death. She had visited the house the night before he died. Harlow moved out of the house soon afterward, never speaking publicly about her husband's death. She would be dead five years later.

Sebring and Tate

In 1963 hair stylist Jay Sebring moved into the house with his girlfriend Sharon Tate (until she left him for Roman Polanski). Tate would tell friends of creepy experiences there. Tate reported being asleep when she saw a "creepy little man," believing it to be the ghost of Paul Bern. Terrified, she ran from the room only to see a hanging corpse with its throat slit in the hallway, she said. Six years later Tate and Sebring would both be among the gruesome victims of the Manson Family murders at 10050 Cielo Drive.

I thought of the foretelling of the Topanga Canyon creep when I first read about the "creepy little man".

On 8/15/2021 at 5:03 AM, TomJH said:

Pickfair, the legendary home of Mary Pickford and Douglas Fairbanks.  An 18 acre estate located in Beverly Hills, people really knew they were "in" in Hollywood society if invited here. Among those entertained here during the '20s and early '30s were George Bernard Shaw, Charlie Chaplin (Fairbanks was his best friend), F. Scott Fitzgerald, H. G. Wells, Lillian Gish, Joan Crawford, Albert Einstein and Charles Lindbergh.

Doug and Mary divorced in 1936 but Pickford would continue to live here (with husband Buddy Rogers) until her death in 1979.

Pickfair Estate in Los Angeles, CA (Google Maps)

Pickfair :: Pickfair Estate

pickfair « HOLLYWOODLAND

Pickfair, Beverly Hills — Calisphere

From Wikipedia:

Empty for several years after Pickford's death in 1979, Pickfair was eventually sold to Los Angeles Lakers owner Jerry Buss, who continued to care for the home, updating and preserving much of its unique charm.[13] In 1988, it was purchased by actress Pia Zadora and her husband Meshulam Riklis.[5] They announced they were planning renovations to the famous estate, but revealed in 1990 that they had in fact demolished Pickfair and a new larger "Venetian style palazzo" was going to be constructed in its place. In 1990, the 42 room estates was razed.[14]

Faced with harsh criticism from a nostalgic public, including Douglas Fairbanks, Jr., Zadora defended her family's actions, stating that the house was allegedly in a poor state of repair and was infested by termites. In the L.A. Times, Fairbanks, Jr. was quoted as saying, "I regret it very much. I wonder, if they were going to demolish it, why they bought it in the first place."

In 2012, Pia Zadora claimed on Season 4, Episode 4 of the BIO channel's Celebrity Ghost Stories that the real reason she demolished Pickfair was not due to termite infestation but because it was haunted by the laughing ghost of a woman who allegedly died there while having an affair with Douglas Fairbanks. Pia Zadora told her story in the Celebrity Ghost Stories on September 15, 2012; Season 4 Episode 12 starring Erin Moran, Pia Zadora and Michael Beach.

In the interview she stated, "Years ago my husband and I tore down one of the most iconic Hollywood mansions because of termites … but that wasn't the real reason. When we moved into the house it was beautiful, everything was perfect, it was a dream … but weird things started to happen … so my husband and I, after trying to figure out what to do, decided we were going to have the house razed."

Defending her actions, she explained, "If I had a choice, I never would have torn down this old home. I loved this home, it had a history, it had a very important sense about it and you can deal with termites, and you can deal with plumbing issues, but you can't deal with the supernatural."

The only remaining artifacts from the original Pickfair are the gates to the estate, the kidney-shaped pool and pool house, remnants of the living room, as well as the two-bedroom guest wing that played host to visiting royalty and notable film celebrities for over half a century. The guest wing was once used as a honeymoon suite for Lord Louis and Lady Mountbatten

That's really sad. I'd heard her hubby bought it, but not what happened later. What happens when you sell a house to PIA ZADORA!!! :(

33 minutes ago, NoShear said:

I thought of the foretelling of the Topanga Canyon creep when I first read about the "creepy little man".

If I recall correctly, Tarantino sort of recreates this or at least utilizes a take on this Sharon Tate story in his Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, doesn't he? 

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings