Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Vintage Hollywood Celebrity Homes

9 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Re: "If I recall correctly, Tarantino sort of recreates this or at least utilizes a take on this Sharon Tate story in his Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, doesn't he?"

Incredible as it may seem, Dargo, I have only seen the film once thus far and can't recall.

On 8/15/2021 at 6:55 AM, TikiSoo said:

As for "ghosts"- well I have those too and you have to honestly believe in that for it to bother you. (I don't but my guests do)

I had a friend staying at my home with some interesting "ghost" experiences she had as a child. She had no doubt of their existence but had a very casual attitude about it. One day she told me, very casually, that she saw two partial "entities" in one of my rooms. Oh yeh, I asked her just as casually (I sit firmly on the fence as to whether there are such things as ghosts), where? She told me in which room she saw them and I was struck by the fact that the room she sighted was one in which a suicide (which I had never told her about) had occurred decades earlier. What a strange coincidence that she would name that particular room, i thought. Later that same day I told her of a particular item that I hadn't been able to find for years in my house. An hour later a cupboard door swung open in front of her and the item fell on the floor. All of this happened the same day she saw the entities.

I'm not saying I have ever had ghosts in my house. I've certainly seen no sign of them. But the odds of a coincidence like that occurring is quite mind boggling, to say the least.

Hollywood has had its share of ghostly tales of hauntings in the homes of some celebrities. At the very least they make for entertaining reading.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, TomJH said:

A house with a gruesome history, 9820 Easton Drive in Benedict Canyon, LA.

lll-642x500.jpg

Jay Sebring House - A House Packed With History!

This is the house where Jean Harlow lived with her husband Paul Bern for a short while.

Jean Harlow and Paul Bern

Paul Bern and Jean Harlow at home

In 1932 Bern would be found fatally shot under still mysterious circumstances. Suicide? Murder? Endless talk of a studio cover up to protect their star, with Dorohty Millette, a former girlfriend of Bern's, jumping off a boat to her death two days after his death. She had visited the house the night before he died. Harlow moved out of the house soon afterward, never speaking publicly about her husband's death. She would be dead five years later.

Sebring and Tate

In 1963 hair stylist Jay Sebring moved into the house with his girlfriend Sharon Tate (until she left him for Roman Polanski). Tate would tell friends of creepy experiences there. Tate reported being asleep when she saw a "creepy little man," believing it to be the ghost of Paul Bern. Terrified, she ran from the room only to see a hanging corpse with its throat slit in the hallway, she said. Six years later Tate and Sebring would both be among the gruesome victims of the Manson Family murders at 10050 Cielo Drive.

Apparently there are a lot of ghosts living in Benedict Canyon: I was reminded of the Elke Sommer/Joe Hyams story.

14122723882_1db9696f27_b.jpg

Home of Alfred Hitchcock

Home of Alfred Hitchcock | Celebrity houses, Hollywood homes, Old hollywood  homes

Alfred Hitchcock lived here – Creepy LA: The Los Angeles Halloween Blog

"Hello ladies and gentlemen. Here we are, with a perfectly normal looking house in a perfectly normal looking part of the country. You wouldn't suspect that a murder has been committed here, would you? Now I . . ."

"Alfred! Get in here! Your supper's getting cold!"

• Haha 2
28 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Home of Alfred Hitchcock

Home of Alfred Hitchcock | Celebrity houses, Hollywood homes, Old hollywood  homes

Alfred Hitchcock lived here – Creepy LA: The Los Angeles Halloween Blog

"Hello ladies and gentlemen. Here we are, with a perfectly normal looking house in a perfectly normal looking part of the country. You wouldn't suspect that a murder has been committed here, would you? Now I . . ."

"Alfred! Get in here! Your supper's getting cold!"

The exterior of the HITCHCOCK house which Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes once called home - Beverly Hills, California:

th?id=OIP.6OUqfTdbs9y0PrHnTlcoIgHaDR&pid=Api&P=0&w=360&h=160

3 hours ago, NoShear said:

Apparently there are a lot of ghosts living in Benedict Canyon: I was reminded of the Elke Sommer/Joe Hyams story.

14122723882_1db9696f27_b.jpg

What is their story?

5 hours ago, Dargo said:

If I recall correctly, Tarantino sort of recreates this or at least utilizes a take on this Sharon Tate story in his Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, doesn't he? 

It's a "what if they went to the wrong house" deal. 

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Re: "Interesting. So they stayed. Did they ever move away? Where is it located?"

I only know that it's a ghost story which has been handed down through the years.

5 hours ago, Moe Howard said:

It's a "what if they went to the wrong house" deal. 

Yeah, I know the ending of the movie plays out that way Moe, but I was referring to an earlier scene in it and where Charlie Manson (Damon Herriman) walks up to the house that Sharon Tate (Margot Robbie) is inside and appears to be casing the place out.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Re: "Yeah, I know the ending of the movie plays out that way Moe, but I was referring to an earlier scene in it and where Charlie Manson (Damon Herriman) walks up to the house that Sharon Tate (Margot Robbie) is inside and appears to be casing the place out."

If I correctly recall reading, it's been suggested that Sharon Tate had seen Charles Manson at the residence prior to her murder. He may have showed up there looking for Terry Melcher.

• Thanks 1
On 8/16/2021 at 7:22 PM, NoShear said:

Re: "If I correctly recall reading, it's been suggested that Sharon Tate had seen Charles Manson at the residence prior to her murder. He may have showed up there looking for Terry Melcher."

994ce1684e9528c038b50eb9708506b8.jpg

d4e581a17eff924fd9db2c5ab6301d03

2 hours ago, Dargo said:

Yeah, I know the ending of the movie plays out that way Moe, but I was referring to an earlier scene in it and where Charlie Manson (Damon Herriman) walks up to the house that Sharon Tate (Margot Robbie) is inside and appears to be casing the place out.

Gotcha. That scene in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is interesting. In the scene Robbie is playing Paul Revere and the Raiders when Charlie comes knocking. Terry Melcher was a producer over at Columbia Records, had worked with Mark Lindsey and for a while Mark Lindsey was Melcher's roomie.  Lindsey thought the place was haunted and never felt "right" in certain parts of the house, and on one occasion was surprised to find Manson sitting on the floor.  

“I walked into the kitchen to get a drink and there was this guy squatting against the refrigerator on the floor wearing this work shirt and jeans and looking really scruffy. So, I said, ‘Excuse me’ and tried to open the door, but he wouldn’t move; he was just like a doorstop and stared straight ahead. After trying a few times, I walked into the other room and said ‘Hey, who’s the weird dude in the kitchen? And someone said “Oh, that’s just Charlie. He’s okay!’”

Later Melcher had moved out, Polanski and Tate moved in and Manson came around looking for Melcher. Manson had been making a pest of himself whining about a record deal  to Melcher for a long time. So when he showed up that day chances are it was for more whining. But for whatever reason he showed up, things got heated with the owner who lived in the guest house. It got loud enough that Tate and her guests in the main house looked out to see what the ruckus was.  Sharon did see Manson and asked the owner about him.

• Thanks 1

Ronald Colman's old '20s estate was put up for sale with these photos

Dexter's' Michael C. Hall to sell '20s estate built for Ronald Colman - Los  Angeles Times

Ronald Colman's old home in Playa del Rey sells - Los Angeles Times

Roll of honour: 15 movie legends who served in the First World War | BFI

"Tis a far, far greater home I own than I have ever owned before."

• Like 1

Bela Lugosi's '30s mansion

Count Dracula's mansion for sale in Hollywood for $3m | Daily Mail Online

Promotional images for Lugosi's old Tudor mansion from the '30s (approx. 1934 to 1937 period)  up for sale for 3 million in 2017. Located near the "Hollywood" sign in LA.

Former Bela Lugosi property in Hollywood Hills goes on the market - Los  Angeles Times

Bela Lugosi's Dead (but You Can Live in His House for $3 Million) | Haute  Macabre

Dracula star Bela Lugosi at home in the 1930's.: OldSchoolCool

Greenbriar Picture Shows

Lugosi would own that painting of him on the wall the rest of his life.

• Like 1

In contrast to his '30s mansion, this was Lugosi's final residence, an apartment at 5620 Harold Way, LA, where he died in 1956.

Bela Lugosi's Apartment | Discover Los Angeles

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, TomJH said:

Promotional images for Lugosi's old Tudor mansion from the '30s (approx. 1934 to 1937 period)  up for sale for 3 million in 2017. Located near the "Hollywood" sign in LA.

Former Bela Lugosi property in Hollywood Hills goes on the market - Los  Angeles Times

Bela Lugosi's Dead (but You Can Live in His House for $3 Million) | Haute  Macabre

Greenbriar Picture Shows

Dig those white sandals in the robe pic!

1 hour ago, TomJH said:

In contrast to his '30s mansion, this was Lugosi's final residence, an apartment at 5620 Harold Way, LA, where he died in 1956.

Bela Lugosi's Apartment | Discover Los Angeles

Sad.

2 hours ago, TomJH said:

Greenbriar Picture Shows

the painting  is now the property of Kirk Hammett guitar player of Metallica

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sophia Loren's stunning Italian villa, purchased for her by her husband, Carlo Ponti. It lies on a 10,000 square meter park, with 50 rooms,  a cinema, swimming pool and a private chapel. These Life Magazine photos are from 1964. For financial reasons Sophia and Carlo put the villa up for sale in 1977 before moving to California (there they had to slum it in a villa they later sold for 9 million). Not bad for a little girl barely surviving poverty during WW2.

lorenvilla

loren12

loren14

loren3

loren8

lorenarchitecture

lorenguitar