Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What causes you to delay watching a classic film that everyone else has seen?


Recommended Posts

In the thread on THE BIG COUNTRY (1958) I admitted I have yet to see the film. It's not like I have deliberately avoided watching it. It's just that for some reason it hasn't happened yet.

I have not seen CASABLANCA (1942) since I watched it on a rainy day at a friend's home in 1993. TCM airs it often. It's even shown up on a local PBS station. I bought a copy of the DVD ten years ago. I recorded it when it played on PBS. But I never watch it. I don't know why.

Similarly I have never seen THE TEN COMMANDMENTS (1956). There have been plenty of opportunities to watch, but when I look at the stills online, it just doesn't really seem like something I would enjoy.

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 9.52.11 AM

I finally did get around to seeing GREEN DOLPHIN STREET (1947) one that kept eluding me. It was very good. 

Then there are all the cheap poverty row films in the public domain on YouTube. I haven't made a concerted effort to go through those. But maybe it would be a waste of time anyway..?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

For the longest time I put off watching CITIZEN KANE, wondering whether or not it lives up to its hype as a classic.

I finally realized I needed to see what all the fuss was about and sat down and watched it one day, and I was AMAZED by it. I found it deserved its well-regarded reputation and only wished I had gotten around to have seen it much sooner. But better late than never.

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

For the longest time I put off watching CITIZEN KANE, wondering whether or not it lives up to its hype as a classic.

I finally realized I needed to see what all the fuss was about and sat down and watched it one day, and I was AMAZED by it. I found it deserved its well-regarded reputation and only wished I had gotten around to have seen it much sooner. But better late than never.

Yes. I think sometimes you have to be "psychologically ready" to watch something (like KANE) that has a larger-than-life reputation.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yanceycravat said:

What causes you to delay watching a classic film that everyone else has seen?

Complete and utter disinterest.

I wonder if I have complete and utter disinterest in CASABLANCA. It makes me seem abnormal. LOL

Maybe in this case so many people have over-extolled the film's virtues that it has alienated me from rewatching it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually,  those "over extolled" virtues are usually what draws me towards a movie.  You know, to see what all the fuss is about.   And if it turns out that for me, the movie is "much ado about nothing" I usually realize it before(in many cases) it gets to the halfway point.  

Any delay might be either the title doesn't spark interest, or it stars actors and/or actresses I never cared for.  Or too, maybe it's never broadcast at times convenient for me or it's on stations I don't get .  Different reasons for different movies really.  

Sepiatone

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Actually,  those "over extolled" virtues are usually what draws me towards a movie.  You know, to see what all the fuss is about.   And if it turns out that for me, the movie is "much ado about nothing" I usually realize it before(in many cases) it gets to the halfway point.  

Any delay might be either the title doesn't spark interest, or it stars actors and/or actresses I never cared for.  Or too, maybe it's never broadcast at times convenient for me or it's on stations I don't get .  Different reasons for different movies really.  

Sepiatone

I think your comment above is interesting and suggests accessibility. Some films are not accessible to audiences, except during rare occasions (especially if they have never been released on home video).

The examples I gave in my original post are films that are widely available for commercial audiences, but still I do not get around to watching them.

I think part of the "problem" is that I watch three British soaps. Emmerdale and Coronation Street both turn out six episodes per week and EastEnders turns out four episodes a week. That is 16 new episodes a week.

Plus I am usually checking out a lot of interviews on YouTube that feature soap stars on both sides of the pond, so I can keep up with the genre as a whole. Soaps require a heavy time commitment.

When I do get a chance to focus on classic film, I have decide how that time will be allocated. So I am a bit more choosey in terms of what I see.

Something like THE BIG COUNTRY is probably too long and would have to wait until I have a free Sunday afternoon to devote to it. But of course I have to be psychologically ready, which means I will need time to read reviews of the film before I sit down to watch it. I cannot just go into a film screening blindly. I have to be fully aware and know what to look for. And I do not rely on TCM's hosts to do that for me.

Sounds like a lot of drama I know! But this is how I approach television and film. I try to be as purposeful and thorough as I can.

Going back to CASABLANCA and the idea of accessibility, that film will still be around a hundred years from now, so I feel there is all the time in the world to get back to it. And if I don't get back to it, then I've enjoyed so many other things in the meanwhile!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Seeing well-worn clips of it.

Such as Casablanca - every time I see a clip of Bogie saying that peculiar speechifying dialogue or Ingrid expressing such woeful romantic torment, it has the opposite effect of stimulating an interest to watch it - it tends to stimulate me to laugh at the silliness of these.

I'm not saying that the movie is this - I'm saying that the clips I've seen repeatedly have inspired in me a notion for ridicule rather than interest.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, 37kitties said:

Seeing well-worn clips of it.

Such as Casablanca - every time I see a clip of Bogie saying that peculiar speechifying dialogue or Ingrid expressing such woeful romantic torment, it has the opposite effect of stimulating an interest to watch it - it tends to stimulate me to laugh at the silliness of these.

I'm not saying that the movie is this - I'm saying that the clips I've seen repeatedly have inspired in me a notion for ridicule rather than interest.

Interesting comment. Are you saying that the clips start to become some sort of unintended parody?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TopBilled said:

In the thread on THE BIG COUNTRY (1958) I admitted I have yet to see the film. It's not like I have deliberately avoided watching it. It's just that for some reason it hasn't happened yet.

I have not seen CASABLANCA (1942) since I watched it on a rainy day at a friend's home in 1993. TCM airs it often. It's even shown up on a local PBS station. I bought a copy of the DVD ten years ago. I recorded it when it played on PBS. But I never watch it. I don't know why.

Similarly I have never seen THE TEN COMMANDMENTS (1956). There have been plenty of opportunities to watch, but when I look at the stills online, it just doesn't really seem like something I would enjoy.

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 9.52.11 AM

I finally did get around to seeing GREEN DOLPHIN STREET (1947) one that kept eluding me. It was very good. 

Then there are all the cheap poverty row films in the public domain on YouTube. I haven't made a concerted effort to go through those. But maybe it would be a waste of time anyway..?

Nor Have i Seen Big Country (yet). 😂

 

 

 

 

 

           This Fellow Hasnt Seen the African Queen. 😂😂😂

While i cant explain why no Country (for Weird Fellow). I think Katherin Hepburn (sp), has everything personally to do with my stalling (for lack of a better descriptive).  NOTHING WHATSOEVER Again K. Hepburn Either.

 

     I Just Have (Always) Had a Tendency to Gravitate and Lean To(ward) Other, (Equally Talented) Feminine Acting Talent

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Aritosthenes said:

Nor Have i Seen Big Country (yet). 😂

 

 

 

 

 

           This Fellow Hasnt Seen the African Queen. 😂😂😂

While i cant explain why no Country (for Weird Fellow). I think Katherin Hepburn (sp), has everything personally to do with my stalling (for lack of a better descriptive).  NOTHING WHATSOEVER Again K. Hepburn Either.

 

     I Just Have (Always) Had a Tendency to Gravitate and Lean To(ward) Other, (Equally Talented) Feminine Acting Talent

I like how you mentioned the word "stalling." I do think that's part of it sometimes.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I like how you mentioned the word "stalling." I do think that's part of it sometimes.

Another (Much Newer) Film That im Reminded of that is Kinda Akin to this.

 

 

 

       Tomorrowland.

I Remember When It Came Out..

    Had No Interest.    Looked Dull, One Dimensional and Boring imo.

 

 

 

       Then i Saw It.

FANTASTIC imho. (Though i imagine there are those who, like maybe just about All Films); Would Disagree.

(Tomorrowland) Has (for me & imo) One of the Strongest, Most Gorgeously Beautifully Poignant Endings ive EVER Scene Put to Film.

🎨🌈

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, as I indicated in the thread title, this is about delaying. Not about not-ever-watching.

I do expect to watch THE BIG COUNTRY at some point. But it is not a priority right now.

Just because TCM airs something, doesn't mean I am ready to watch it at this very moment.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TopBilled said:

In the thread on THE BIG COUNTRY (1958) I admitted I have yet to see the film. It's not like I have deliberately avoided watching it. It's just that for some reason it hasn't happened yet.

I have not seen CASABLANCA (1942) since I watched it on a rainy day at a friend's home in 1993. TCM airs it often. It's even shown up on a local PBS station. I bought a copy of the DVD ten years ago. I recorded it when it played on PBS. But I never watch it. I don't know why.

Similarly I have never seen THE TEN COMMANDMENTS (1956). There have been plenty of opportunities to watch, but when I look at the stills online, it just doesn't really seem like something I would enjoy.

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 9.52.11 AM

I finally did get around to seeing GREEN DOLPHIN STREET (1947) one that kept eluding me. It was very good. 

Then there are all the cheap poverty row films in the public domain on YouTube. I haven't made a concerted effort to go through those. But maybe it would be a waste of time anyway..?

If Your Ever Into It (so to Speak) id Recommend Tomorrowland .

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I saw Tomorrowland in the theater expecting a Disney action-adventure ride and was pretty surprised by the poignance of George Clooney's long-lost "love" with the young robot and also by the extra dmensions to Hugh Laurie's "villian".

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I wonder if I have complete and utter disinterest in CASABLANCA. It makes me seem abnormal. LOL

Maybe in this case so many people have over-extolled the film's virtues that it has alienated me from rewatching it.

An excellent idea for a thread!

I'm quite surprised that you have never seen Casablanca. With your extensive knowledge of films and actors I took it as a given that you would have seen this one.  

I was late to the Casablanca viewing party too. In my case at least I think the delay is a matter of changing tastes maybe? There are several movies that I would try to watch ever since I was a youngster in the early 1970s such as Casablanca, Holiday Inn,  An Affair to Remember and Breakfast at Tiffany's, that would just never hold my interest. I'd like the subject matter or the actors but just never could watch the movie. Decades later I'd give them another chance and I'd absolutely love them.  Casablanca so much so that it's now one of my three favorite films and on a fairly regular viewing rotation. The Judy Garland/James Mason version of A Star is Born is another in this category.  I've tried to watch it numerous times. I love musicals and I've always enjoyed Garland but this film has never made it beyond thirty minutes max for me. Yet as I sit here typing this with it playing in the background I can't help but keep looking up to watch it. I think it's time has come for me. 

So maybe it's a matter of maturity or just changing tastes in some instances.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

There are certain genres I tend to avoid, generally most films without a modern setting and in which the men aren't wearing 20th century suits: Westerns, war films, sword-and-sandal epics, swashbucklers. So, I've unapolagetically missed many of the acclaimed films of these genres. I finally watched Ben-Hur maybe two years ago after successfully avoiding it for 30 years. Y'know, okay, but I could go another 30 years without watching it. I caught Spartacus around the same time and enjoyed it more. I've missed most of Errol Flynn's career, although I have seen Captain BloodThe Adventures of Robin Hood and The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aritosthenes said:

If Your Ever Into It (so to Speak) id Recommend Tomorrowland .

Thanks. I will have to check it out.

11 minutes ago, Citizen Ed said:

An excellent idea for a thread!

I'm quite surprised that you have never seen Casablanca. With your extensive knowledge of films and actors I took it as a given that you would have seen this one.  

I was late to the Casablanca viewing party too. In my case at least I think the delay is a matter of changing tastes maybe? There are several movies that I would try to watch ever since I was a youngster in the early 1970s such as Casablanca, Holiday Inn,  An Affair to Remember and Breakfast at Tiffany's, that would just never hold my interest. I'd like the subject matter or the actors but just never could watch the movie. Decades later I'd give them another chance and I'd absolutely love them.  Casablanca so much so that it's now one of my three favorite films and on a fairly regular viewing rotation. The Judy Garland/James Mason version of A Star is Born is another in this category.  I've tried to watch it numerous times. I love musicals and I've always enjoyed Garland but this film has never made it beyond thirty minutes max for me. Yet as I sit here typing this with it playing in the background I can't help but keep looking up to watch it. I think it's time has come for me. 

So maybe it's a matter of maturity or just changing tastes in some instances.

I like how you worded this, about becoming more mature (or mature enough) to appreciate something.

I have seen CASABLANCA...as I indicated in an earlier post, I watched it at a friend's house in 1993. But I have not seen it in 28 years. It's not one I've wanted to rewatch, though as I said I did buy a DVD copy and made another copy when it was broadcast on PBS.

4 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

There are certain genres I tend to avoid, generally most films without a modern setting and in which the men aren't wearing 20th century suits: Westerns, war films, sword-and-sandal epics, swashbucklers. So, I've unapolagetically missed many of the acclaimed films of these genres. I finally watched Ben-Hur maybe two years ago after successfully avoiding it for 30 years. Y'know, okay, but I could go another 30 years without watching it. I caught Spartacus around the same time and enjoyed it more. I've missed most of Errol Flynn's career, although I have seen Captain BloodThe Adventures of Robin Hood and The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex.

I like your honesty!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, appreciate yours as well. Casablanca is a film I've probably seen a hundred times. When a similar thread posed the question, I answered it was surely the film I've seen the most times ever on TCM (while Star Wars ia probably the movie I've seen the most overall). The Rick/Ilsa love story isn't my favorite part of it. I get more soaked into the atmosphere and the dynamics between all the principles.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TopBilled said:

In the thread on THE BIG COUNTRY (1958) I admitted I have yet to see the film. It's not like I have deliberately avoided watching it. It's just that for some reason it hasn't happened yet.

I have not seen CASABLANCA (1942) since I watched it on a rainy day at a friend's home in 1993. TCM airs it often. It's even shown up on a local PBS station. I bought a copy of the DVD ten years ago. I recorded it when it played on PBS. But I never watch it. I don't know why.

Similarly I have never seen THE TEN COMMANDMENTS (1956). There have been plenty of opportunities to watch, but when I look at the stills online, it just doesn't really seem like something I would enjoy.

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 9.52.11 AM

I finally did get around to seeing GREEN DOLPHIN STREET (1947) one that kept eluding me. It was very good. 

Then there are all the cheap poverty row films in the public domain on YouTube. I haven't made a concerted effort to go through those. But maybe it would be a waste of time anyway..?

You really need to see The Ten Commandments on the big screen, complete with break for intermission. You'd have a very different experience watching it at home. Because you already know so many of the actors, it's more like how the original audience would have seen it. I'd only seen parts of the film, always on network TV with commercial interruptions, but in the theater the spectacle was overwhelming, as DeMille intended.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Usually, the fact that everyone has seen it.  I call it the Game of Thrones Factor, where if a lot of current 21st-cty. "adults" like it, there has to be something seriously WRONG with it...   😒

It was only completism that made me sit down with a Blu-ray of Gone With the Wind, to see what happened between the rest of the Famous Lines, and a couple of YouTube reactors got me curious to sit down with Casablanca cover to cover.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, King Rat said:

You really need to see The Ten Commandments on the big screen, complete with break for intermission. You'd have a very different experience watching it at home. Because you already know so many of the actors, it's more like how the original audience would have seen it. I'd only seen parts of the film, always on network TV with commercial interruptions, but in the theater the spectacle was overwhelming, as DeMille intended.

We ran it in the theater in which I worked, so I've seen it on the big screen several times. The only aspect of that movie that I really like is Yul Brynner.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...