Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm sorry but I just NEED to talk about DARK SHADOWS

I actually think one of the smarter things I have done has been to start watching blocks of the series out of sequence; it has helped me to deal with two of the shortcomings in the show: 1. the under-use of certain actors and characters and 2. the tendency to not bring longstanding stories to a satisfying conclusion.

this way it's helped me to enjoy them more on their individual merits.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, David Proulx said:

I remember watching Dark Shadows circa 1970. I remember being under 10 yrs old and being totally in love w/ Kate Jackson's Daphne. I remember the bone chilling Head of Judah Zachary kept in a windowed carrying case. I remember my youngest brother running out the room when Barnabus Collins was moving in for the kill. Great memories!

I hate when they put out a movie (often a Depp vehicle) of a beloved series, and the entire movie's purpose is to try and laugh and poke fun at the show, even if was a sitcom. For that matter, there's never a reason to do a movie or a beloved series in the first place. Worse, you don't make a non-cartoon movie out of a beloved cartoon. There's a reason it was a cartoon.

Memories of classics should be left sacred and remain the fond memories we have of them. It's like someone showing up, impersonating your dead grandmother, and doing her interpretation of who she was. I would tell her not to presume that this attempt was wanted in any way, and not to disrespect my grandmother's memory.

Judah Zachary's head did not scare me in the least. who played the head anyway? Keene Curtis?

:lol:

1 minute ago, NipkowDisc said:

Judah Zachary's head did not scare me in the least. who played the head anyway? Keene Curtis?

lol. No idea who played him. The head did come alive, though, and Judah Zachary was pure evil, which, being around 8 yrs old, was chilling.

8 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I actually think one of the smarter things I have done has been to start watching blocks of the series out of sequence; it has helped me to deal with two of the shortcomings in the show: 1. the under-use of certain actors and characters and 2. the tendency to not bring longstanding stories to a satisfying conclusion.

this way it's helped me to enjoy them more on their individual merits.

I also enjoy watching the storylines out of sequence and also enjoy working on two storylines at a time ---- similar to reading two fiction books.

I have not seen all the storylines of the original series although I have seen all episodes of the 1991 revival series many times.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, David Proulx said:

lol. No idea who played him. The head did come alive, though, and Judah Zachary was pure evil, which, being around 8 yrs old, was chilling.

I really did not like tying angelique into the 1600s collins clan because it extended her past quite a bit and predates her to barnabas which I thought was ill thought out and how do you reconcile Miranda DuVal to her brother Nicholas Blair?

"hmmm a very good question, nipkowdisc my friend, I will consult with my master Diabolos in the netherworld about that."

Episode 619: The Gunslinger | Dark Shadows Every Day

9 hours ago, HoldenIsHere said:

I also enjoy watching the storylines out of sequence and also enjoy working on two storylines at a time ---- similar to reading two fiction books.

I have not seen all the storylines of the original series although I have seen all episodes of the 1991 revival series many times.

can you tell me what the story is with MAGGIE EVANS in the revival? I seem to recall she has a much smaller role and it's VICTORIA WINTERS who goes back in time and also is the reincarnation of JOSETTE.

Also, they added a second COLLINS sister named DAPHNE?

35 minutes ago, PhillyCinephile said:

Michael McGuire played "The Head of Judah Zachary".

they started this confusing sheet when barnabas and julia returning to their own world from parallel time and discovering everything has been destroyed by something begun back in the 1600s by judah zachary involving plaguing the collins family with occult doings because some 1600s collins judge sentenced baldy to death...and for this confusing storyline they screwed up angelique's past.

everyone was perfectly content with her being Josette's servant in martinique when she fell in love with barnabas. the first thing he does is take possession of julia.

the whole thing was stupid because all michael maguire's head did was sit there. barnabas was the crux of the show. everything shoulda been centered around him.

7 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

can you tell me what the story is with MAGGIE EVANS in the revival? I seem to recall she has a much smaller role and it's VICTORIA WINTERS who goes back in time and also is the reincarnation of JOSETTE.

Others will remember this more clearly than I do, but Maggie was a waitress having an affair with Roger in the 1991 show.

20 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

I really did not like tying angelique into the 1600s collins clan because it extended her past quite a bit and predates her to barnabas which I thought was ill thought out and how do you reconcile Miranda DuVal to her brother Nicholas Blair?

"hmmm a very good question, nipkowdisc my friend, I will consult with my master Diabolos in the netherworld about that."

Episode 619: The Gunslinger | Dark Shadows Every Day

I can't say my memory of it is that precise. I remember the characters and the parallel dimension, and that's about it.

11 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

In the 1991 revival series --- which I LOVE --- Maggie Evans is an artist who also works at the Blue Whale, which is owned by her father Sam Evans, who is neither a painter nor an alcoholic as he was in the original series. As King Rat noted, she is having an affair with Roger Collins in the revival series.   

Maggie is also a psychic in the revival series.  She conducts the séance to contact Sarah Collins --- which causes Victoria Winters to travel back in time. And, yes, it is Victoria (not Maggie) who resembles Josette in the revival series.  Victoria also goes back in  time in the original series , but in the original series the actor who plays Josette is played by the one who plays Maggie, while in the revival series the same actor who plays Victoria also plays Josette.  The two characters interact in the revival ---- similar to the way Samantha and Serena (both played by Elizabeth Montgomery) interacted on BEWITCHED.

The revival added the character of Daphne Collins, the daughter of Roger and sister of David.  It is Daphne Collins, not Carolyn Stoddard, who is the girlfriend of Joe Haskell at the beginning of series.  Daphne  is also the first person that Barnabas turns into a vampire in the revival series. She is ultimately destroyed when Dr. Woodard drives a stake into her heart.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
On 9/5/2021 at 1:50 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

also, excuse the non sequitor, bit it occurred to me the other day that it would've made more sense if DAVID had been ELIZABETH'S son and CAROLYN had been ROGER's daughter.

Elizabeth was a bit long in the tooth to be David's mother, though.

Speaking of soaps, I was home yesterday and watched DOOL. Wow! Stuff is happening on that show. LOL. And there was a scene of Xander shirtless showing his hairy chest!!! (I guess he shaved it in the past). I may start watching again!!! :D

On the other hand Young and Restless was deadly dull..........

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, HoldenIsHere said:

In the 1991 revival series --- which I LOVE ---

I'm glad to hear this, and me too.

It was my introduction (at age 12 going on 13) to the world of DARK SHADOWS and really, my favorite thing about it was BARBARA STEELE- looking like OLIVE OYL'S malevolent cousin EEVILLE OYL- as DR. JULIA HOFFMAN

See the source image

2b3671b23d387bcdca7ebb567a309b97--costum

The casting of the series was all-around excellent (as I recall), JOANNA GOING was so likeable as VICTORIA (I've never warmed to ALEXANDRA MOLTKE) and BEN CROSS was really pretty perfect, and a nice upgrade in the looks department.

the only weak thing i recall about it is it's CONSTANT USE OF DAY-FOR-NIGHT PHOTOGRAPHY, which I read has been corrected in certain DVD(?0 releases.

DAN CURTIS LOVED HIM some DAY FOR NIGHT and NO ONE ever had the heart to tell him no amount of Foley sounds of crickets or blue tint will hide the fact that it is CLEARLY NOON in AUGUST in SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA and not MIDNIGHT in MAINE. 

The man was FIRMLY AGAINST renting the lighting equipment to shoot at night and that was that.

See the source image

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

spoilers in re: THE 1991 REVIVAL OF DARK SHADOWS

Two things that I still remember blowing my mind:

THE INTRODUCTION OF THE CHARACTER OF PROFESSOR STOKES, who we assume is going to be THE HERO (whether we've seen the original series or not)...only he lasts about two episodes before he gets turned into a vampire!

and the CHARACTER OF JOE is actually a good guy in the 1700's story as well as in the 20th century storyline- only he DIES SHOCKINGLY in the present day, which blew my mind then.

See the source image

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

also also, the 1991 revival kept going with the longstanding tradition of casting GAY ACTORS in the male roles, at least in one case...

Who was that case? (I never watched the reboot) How was Jean Simmons in the show? Did she have much to do?

16 hours ago, Hibi said:

Who was that case? (I never watched the reboot) How was Jean Simmons in the show? Did she have much to do?

The gay actor that I know of in the “dark shadows” reboot was Michael T Weiss, whose picture I posted above, and who later played “the pretender”. I don’t think I’m outing him or this is any kind of earth shattering news.

yeah, JEAN SIMMONS Had a pretty fair amount to do, more so as the character of Naomi in the 1700s, Where she was inexplicably the mother of two 10-year-old children and one 45 year old son...

• Haha 1

Am I the only one who feels as if KATHRYN LEIGH SCOTT was, oddly, never really allowed to become THE LEADING LADY of the show? After ALEXANDRA MOLTKE (who I find dull) left, it seems as if no one else really stepped into the PRIMARY ROMANTIC HEROINE  part; and , starting with 1897, her appearances even become infrequent in whatever character she is playing, sometimes being curiously killed off (as in 1897)

See the source image

• Like 1

Am I the only one who feels as if KATHRYN LEIGH SCOTT was, oddly, never really allowed to become THE LEADING LADY of the show? After ALEXANDRA MOLTKE (who I find dull) left, it seems as if no one else really stepped into the PRIMARY ROMANTIC HEROINE  part; and , starting with 1897, her appearances even become infrequent in whatever character she is playing, sometimes being curiously killed off (as in 1897)

See the source image

Good point. I also felt Alexandra Moltke was a bit dull as the romantic lead, and she often wore very odd-fitting clothes. Miss Scott, on the other hand,  looked really good in her miniskirts.

• Thanks 2

Am I the only one who feels as if KATHRYN LEIGH SCOTT was, oddly, never really allowed to become THE LEADING LADY of the show? After ALEXANDRA MOLTKE (who I find dull) left, it seems as if no one else really stepped into the PRIMARY ROMANTIC HEROINE  part; and , starting with 1897, her appearances even become infrequent in whatever character she is playing, sometimes being curiously killed off (as in 1897).

I feel the same way,  but assumed this was part of Dan Curtis's overall plan for the show.    Don't let any one character\actor become too central to the show since they may ask to  renegotiate their contract. 

• Thanks 1