Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm sorry but I just NEED to talk about DARK SHADOWS

Barbara Steele was fantastic! she succeeded in surpassing Grayson Hall as Julia Hoffman. Grayson was empathetic in the role but from the beautiful Barbara Steele you got not only a sense of empathy for Barnabas but also a sense of conflict within herself. she is trying to cure Barnabas against perhaps her better judgment and the advice of Stokes but also she gives off the aura that she is fascinated by this late 18th century man enduring a curse of vampirism but also that she is romantically enthralled by him.

at any rate I feel Barbara Steele surpassed Grayson Hall in the role.

See the source image

8 hours ago, mabelnormand1930 said:

I liked Alexandra Moltke as Victoria Winters.

To be fair, I have only seen a handful of her episodes, and they were all set when she went back in time, Where she is playing someone who is in shock and kind of stumbling around. So it’s entirely possible she was much better in other storylines.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Roy Cronin said:

So, this means that you don't consider Grayson Hall to have been a romantic lead?

I was watching an episode the other day where Grayson, bless her heart, hadn’t quite glued her false eyelashes on right and she had this one reaction shot that really reminded me of one of those baby dolls that when you lift it up the eyelids flap open, but sometimes one of the eyelids gets stuck so you have one eyelid welded shut and one eye wide-open and the babydoll looks like they’re coming off a methamphetamine binge...

So in answer to your question, with all due respect Grayson, no I’m afraid I never saw her as the romantic lead of the show.

but an entertaining presence throughout, absolutely!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I kid GRAYSON because I love GRAYSON...

See the source imageand it's been fun to follow her "hair journey" after the unfortunate "kindergarten scissors" SEVERE CROP she adopted right in the middle of her tenure on the show. I think she realized it was a mistake when some kids mistook her for MICK JAGGER and chased her for four blocks one rainy day when she couldn't catch a cab...it's grown out now to where they can comfortably tuck in a fall, as I presume she did when she assumed the identity of her 1970 PARALLEL TIME COUNTERPART "HOFFMAN" the MRS DANVERSESQUE HOUSEKEEPER

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
5 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I kid GRAYSON because I love GRAYSON...

See the source image

and it's been fun to follow her "hair journey" after the unfortunate "kindergarten scissors" SEVERE CROP she adopted right in the middle of her tenure on the show. I think she realized it was a mistake when some kids mistook her for MICK JAGGER and chased her for four blocks one rainy day when she couldn't catch a cab...it's grown out now to where they can comfortably tuck in a fall, as I presume she did when she assumed the identity of her 1970 PARALLEL TIME COUNTERPART "HOFFMAN" the MRS DANVERSESQUE HOUSEKEEPER

It was strange why she did that. They even had some character(s) comment on her new hairdo in her first scenes with the cut. I assume the producers must've ok'd her doing that.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Hibi said:

It was strange why she did that. They even had some character(s) comment on her new hairdo in her first scenes with the cut. I assume the producers must've ok'd her doing that.

i seriously doubt GRAYSON asked.

i kind of get the sense she maybe did it herself while having a psychotic break, but i don't wanna get too up in whatever she had going on at home.

• Haha 2
6 hours ago, Hibi said:

I thought it made her look younger and sexier.

:)

On 9/9/2021 at 3:49 PM, NipkowDisc said:

Barbara Steele was fantastic! she succeeded in surpassing Grayson Hall as Julia Hoffman. Grayson was empathetic in the role but from the beautiful Barbara Steele you got not only a sense of empathy for Barnabas but also a sense of conflict within herself. she is trying to cure Barnabas against perhaps her better judgment and the advice of Stokes but also she gives off the aura that she is fascinated by this late 18th century man enduring a curse of vampirism but also that she is romantically enthralled by him.

at any rate I feel Barbara Steele surpassed Grayson Hall in the role.

See the source image

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one....Barbara Steele was too cold and clinical for my taste. I also didn't like how she purposely (SPOILERS just in case) made Barnabas revert to what he was with her injections because she was as jealous as a teenage high school girl over his feelings for Victoria Winters. I also thought she was stupid to think she could get away with doing that without provoking his wrath.

Grayson Hall's Julia in the original show, at least I found her motives a bit more on the pure side. She may have been jealous but I also think she did generally like Vicki too much to let Barnabas transform her into another Josette wannabe.

• Like 3

See the source image

aha.

so, i made it through 1840 and I see the showrunners got the memo that there needed to be CLOSURE to the storylines, along with, for a little variety, not just one, but multiple happy outcomes- which seem a little unsteady.

the BEST CLOSURE comes from the one unhappy ending, for ANGELIQUE (by now, do I need to warn of spoilers?) it's a great close to HER AND BARNABAS'S tortured relationship and very true to the audacious spirit of TRUE SOAP OPERA where a character is willing to undergo an UTTER 180 and see the GOOD in someone who has heretofore been utterly and completely reprehensible to them.

• Haha 1

also, it was nice to see that DARK SHADOWS in many ways did get a proper FINAL EPISODE, it's just that it's episode 1198 (I think the show has 1245 episodes in all.) that's actually the last time we see pretty much all the characters, and there is a surprisingly moving moment where the principles gather in the foyer and it's 1970 and no one has lizard tongues or anything. 

after that, it's alternate 1840 which seems to be an EMILE BRONTE-based universe and then, the end.

Now that I am more familiar with the progress of the show, and have even gone back to fill in some gaps I missed and the catch up on earlier storylines as well, I will daresay that all shows go in peaks and valleys and have ups and downs...if I may be so bold as to say, I think DARK SHADOWS "lost it" in the 1970 PARALLEL TIME storyline (the REBECCA knockoff), which is just SO DARK and also POORLY CLOSED and has lots of characters who come and go with little explanation...everyone was also so unlikeable in it.

44 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

See the source image

aha.

so, i made it through 1840 and I see the showrunners got the memo that there needed to be CLOSURE to the storylines, along with, for a little variety, not just one, but multiple happy outcomes- which seem a little unsteady.

the BEST CLOSURE comes from the one unhappy ending, for ANGELIQUE (by now, do I need to warn of spoilers?) it's a great close to HER AND BARNABAS'S tortured relationship and very true to the audacious spirit of TRUE SOAP OPERA where a character is willing to undergo an UTTER 180 and see the GOOD in someone who has heretofore been utterly and completely reprehensible to them.

I agree that was a very tragic end for them but the writers chose to make barnabas either unwilling or unable to acknowledge to himself that despite all her malevolence angelique's love which she professed to him many times was genuine. did she give up on him and her love for him? she did not. she held fast to her love for him like grim death and the viewers perceived this and her heroism. they knew that she was not the irrevocably evil creature barnabas told himself that she was......and as somebody once lamented if only he would have realized this back in 1795.

:lol:

angelique's biggest mistake with barnabas was harming sarah.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

I agree that was a very tragic end for them but the writers chose to make barnabas either unwilling or unable to acknowledge to himself that despite all her malevolence angelique's love which she professed to him many times was genuine. did she give up on him and her love for him? she did not. she held fast to her love for him like grim death and the viewers perceived this and her heroism. they knew that she was not the irrevocably evil creature barnabas told himself that she was......and as somebody once lamented if only he would have realized this back in 1795.

:lol:

angelique's biggest mistake with barnabas was harming sarah.

As well as Josette and Naomi, who went out of her way to be kind to Angelique even if she did have misgivings about Barnabas and Angelique getting married.

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Now that I am more familiar with the progress of the show, and have even gone back to fill in some gaps I missed and the catch up on earlier storylines as well, I will daresay that all shows go in peaks and valleys and have ups and downs...if I may be so bold as to say, I think DARK SHADOWS "lost it" in the 1970 PARALLEL TIME storyline (the REBECCA knockoff), which is just SO DARK and also POORLY CLOSED and has lots of characters who come and go with little explanation...everyone was also so unlikeable in it.

The main reason for this, Lorna, was the simultaneous making of the two movies. If you'd read or seen Rebecca and Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, you pretty much knew how the story was going to go. The cast was divided into movie and TV groups, and the writers had to work around that with--such is the nature of soaps--no time off. The overreach of making movies and a serial simultaneously doomed the show as thoroughly as any witch's curse. Dan Curtis may be the David O. Selznick of daytime TV. With predictable stories, DS no longer had that "Dirk bit three people today!" vibe where you just had to watch.

At its best DS created its own memorable villains--Barnabas (originally), Angelique, Rev. Trask, Nicholas Blair, Quentin (originally), Count Petofi. Gerard was basically a rerun of Evil Quentin, but James Storm played the villainy well, too. The casting department outdid themselves finding those particular actors. The writers never developed the potential of Marie Wallace's Eve as a villain, but she did leave the show to play a more prominent role on Somerset. The stories weren't always polished or thoroughly developed, but once Barnabas became the hero of the show, DS wasn't simply repeating the vampire and werewolf stories the way 1970 Parallel Time was a knockoff. Even the Leviathan story wasn't a bad idea: Collinwood threatened by a group with certain magical powers is a solid premise.

I thought the concept of Parallel Time would be the salvation of DS because the show could go to different eras in the past with new characters for the repertory actors to play, but the show was canceled too soon for that to happen.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, King Rat said:

The main reason for this, Lorna, was the simultaneous making of the two movies. If you'd read or seen Rebecca and Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, you pretty much knew how the story was going to go. The cast was divided into movie and TV groups, and the writers had to work around that with--such is the nature of soaps--no time off. The overreach of making movies and a serial simultaneously doomed the show as thoroughly as any witch's curse. Dan Curtis may be the David O. Selznick of daytime TV. With predictable stories, DS no longer had that "Dirk bit three people today!" vibe where you just had to watch.

At its best DS created its own memorable villains--Barnabas (originally), Angelique, Rev. Trask, Nicholas Blair, Quentin (originally), Count Petofi. Gerard was basically a rerun of Evil Quentin, but James Storm played the villainy well, too. The casting department outdid themselves finding those particular actors. The writers never developed the potential of Marie Wallace's Eve as a villain, but she did leave the show to play a more prominent role on Somerset. The stories weren't always polished or thoroughly developed, but once Barnabas became the hero of the show, DS wasn't simply repeating the vampire and werewolf stories the way 1970 Parallel Time was a knockoff. Even the Leviathan story wasn't a bad idea: Collinwood threatened by a group with certain magical powers is a solid premise.

I thought the concept of Parallel Time would be the salvation of DS because the show could go to different eras in the past with new characters for the repertory actors to play, but the show was canceled too soon for that to happen.

The brutality of HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS crept into 1970 PARALLEL TIME as well, Which would’ve been all right if the storyline and only run for a week or two, but it just goes on and gets SADISTIC. 

I’m going back and filling in some of the episodes I missed from the leviathan episodes, and I don’t mind them at all. In fact I don’t understand the beef people have with the whole leviathan story, it’s fine to me and provides a great storyline for Joan Bennett, she really seems to be enjoying herself.

• Like 1

Also I feel like I need to take the time to give a much deserved shout-out to Joan Bennett’s COLORIST, who was WORTH EVERY PENNY!!!

Those are some RICH, thick, chestnut hues: lustrous and with a mirror-like sheen and whoever did them was AN ARTIST. 

Thank God she went “prematurely brunette” in TRADE WINDS, huh? 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Hibi said:

More DOOL news! Xander was in a towel on Friday! And a bed scene too! I'm going to start recording the show again! :D

Xander would have made a great sexy villain on Dark Shadows, though he wouldn't have had as many opportunities to wear towels.

Just now, King Rat said:

Xander would have made a great sexy villain on Dark Shadows, though he wouldn't have had as many opportunities to wear towels.

True! LOL. They know how to use him in DOOL!