Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm sorry but I just NEED to talk about DARK SHADOWS

On 8/15/2021 at 1:17 PM, scsu1975 said:

My wife and I have been watching the series, first on Amazon, and now on TUBI, starting from the first episode. I used to watch as a kid in the 60s, but quit at about the 900th episode or so, when "time travel" became a routine part of the show.  I never saw the first 200 or so episodes, so it was fun starting at the beginning and seeing the characters develop.

A few observations, although I may have more to add later on:

Joan Bennett is lousy in this. She's a good actress, but this is not her milieu. Every line is simply read, she can't get through a scene without clasping her hands, and she moves her head and neck forward every time she speaks.  Jonathan Frid is not as bad as I remember, and since I read he was dyslexic, I can cut him some slack when he bumbles lines.  Mitchell Ryan  (who played the original Burke Devlin) was so-so; he had this annoying habit of swinging his arm every time he talked. Some of the better actors in the cast were Joel Crothers and Denise Nickerson, probably because they appeared the most natural and didn't seem to be acting.

We are now at the Quentin storyline, although Lorna, you are a bit ahead of us. The silver craftsman (played by Abe Vigoda!!!) just croaked in fear.

Joan Bennett had a difficult time keeping up with the pace of the show and also had a hard time reading the teleprompter without her glasses. I love her scenes when Barnabas first introduces himself. She is the regal mistress of Collinwood, totally in charge, which nobody can challenge. Her banter with Selby in the 1895 segment is marvelous. I think those two played off each other wonderfully.

• Like 2
On 8/22/2021 at 1:07 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

i HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS VIDEO:

EDIT: I HAD TO RUN BEFORE I COULD EXPLAIN WHAT IT IS, IT IS HOME VIDEO FOOTAGE TAKEN BY A FAN OF VARIOUS ACTORS ON "DARK SHADOWS" ARRIVING AT THE ABC STUDIOS (ON 57TH STREET?)

I REALLY, REALLY HIGHLE RECOMMEND IT.

PS- GRAYSON HALL LOOKS P!SSED THAT SOMEONE IS FILMING HER, BUT SHE LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE YOU'D THINK SHE'D LOOK IN REAL LIFE!

Wow. I hadn't seen this before. I have a few photos of the stars outside the studio that I purchased at some of the festivals. Pretty cool that the actors were obliging. Love Grayson's look of displeasure when she gets out of the cab.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
11 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

Joan Bennett had a difficult time keeping up with the pace of the show and also had a hard time reading the teleprompter without her glasses. I love her scenes when Barnabas first introduces himself. She is the regal mistress of Collinwood, totally in charge, which nobody can challenge. Her banter with Selby in the 1895 segment is marvelous. I think those two played off each other wonderfully.

It was also, basically live performing, Which causes the release of endorphins and adrenaline and all kinds of body chemicals that you can’t control and wreak havoc on your body and concentration . And for some people it never gets better.

i despise live performing. 

I personally would be a stuttering, stammering mess shaking like Joe Cocker on a caffeine binge if I had to Perform a live scene with dialogue that I had to either remember or read off of a Teleprompter. 

• Haha 1
On 9/13/2021 at 1:22 PM, Roy Cronin said:

Has anyone ever thought about storylines if the show had continued?  What plots would they have mined?

Sam Hall said they spent hours (meaning minions) going through everything in the public domain from which to borrow/steal.

I'm thinking something in the realm of extraterrestrial UFOs would have been in the picture!   So few years from E.T.

On 9/13/2021 at 2:46 PM, Cigarjoe cellph said:

There was a lot of stuff they could have done, War of 1812, some Civil War related story, they could have tackled Prohibition with some gangster liquor smuggling Collins's. They could have even brought in Native American ghosts. Lol

On 9/13/2021 at 2:52 PM, Bethluvsfilms said:

How about seeing the Collins family and supernatural fiends tangle with hippies? (And no, Buzz doesn't count, he was so lame!).

A really hot topic would have been how to deal with the civil rights at the time....but then we hardly ever saw any African-Americans on DARK SHADOWS, save Tom Jennings' nurse and King Johnny's servant Istvan.

Maybe Istvan could have returned as a ghost to haunt Barnabas for sending him off Widows' Hill.

On 9/13/2021 at 3:15 PM, Hibi said:

Sadistic matrons. Naughty girls with impure thoughts, etc........Grayson could've channeled Miss Whosits from Iguana.......:D

On 9/13/2021 at 3:17 PM, Hibi said:

Collinwood basement could've been a speakeasy! :D

On 9/13/2021 at 5:06 PM, Bethluvsfilms said:

Another idea for diversity on DARK SHADOWS....how about if they had added Blacula in there? 

22 hours ago, King Rat said:

With Martinique already part of the core story, I Walked With a Zombie remains a possibility. Lots of opportunities for black actors in a Martinique-based story.

A beautiful Latina actress named Diana Davila was on for about three days as a vampire victim. I was sorry she wasn't on more.

How about a short parallel time story where the Willie Loomis who finds Barnabas' coffin is a hippie stoner?

I cannot begin to tell you how much I have enjoyed OUR EXCHANGE AT "THE WRITER'S TABLE" HERE. All we need is GARRY MARSHALL sitting at the head emphatically saying: "Just so long as it isn't JAMAICAN HOMELESS PEOPLE SUCKIN' SOUP ALL DAY!"

BTW, I think we're all in agreement that a GIRL'S BOARDING SCHOOL in MARTINIQUE run by COUNTESS NATALIE who is eventually (and ironically) decapitated BY AN ARMY OF VOODOO ZOMBIES led by WILLIAM MARSHALL as VOODOO MASTER “OTHELLO LEGENDRE” was the way to go.

and later on, THE HEAD OF COUNTESS NATALIE and  THE HEAD OF JUDAH ZACHERLY get together during an 1812 parallel time storyline and become DAYTIME'S NEW SUPERCOUPLE.

The wedding of their disembodied heads is attended by the disembodied head of ELIZABETH TAYLOR and becomes the HIGHEST RATED DAYTIME EVENT EVER!!!!

• Haha 3

I remember reading about the astonishment Lara Parker felt leaving the ABC studio and seeing children fleeing away from her in horror at the sight of her and she being the mother of two sons herself.

evil but still sweet.

Lara Parker Dark Shadows Studio Portrait 24x36 Poster - Walmart.com -  Walmart.com

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

OMG!  If the show continued I think that La Liz would have loved to make a guest appearance. 

I believe that she and Joan remained very good friends after "Father of the Bride."

she could be Nicholas Blair's fat shrewish wife.

:D

On 8/22/2021 at 7:40 PM, Roy Cronin said:

Have you ever noticed how rare it was to have characters sit around a dining or breakfast table and eat like normal people?

I think very, very early on there was some breakfast table  coffee chit-chat like on a traditional soap.

Was there even a real dining room in Collinwood;  I can't remember. 

Early on in the series, we see the kitchen and again when Willie comes to stay and he sits down and tells Mrs. J that he wants steak and eggs for breakfast. Then he goes on to bully Carolyn and Vicki.

• Haha 1
On 8/23/2021 at 8:53 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

Yes I’ve seen clips of those and they were extremely effective. It looks like they went all the way to Newport, Rhode Island to film at the house they used for Collinwood. I wish they had kept up with using occasional exteriors, but I guess those budget and logistical and actor constraints were just a headache.

It got to be too costly. They filmed in Newport, RI and Tarrytown, NY. I have been to all locations and it's pretty cool. The Blue Whale is actually a bar called The Black Pearl. They filmed the back of the actual bar building, not the front. But it's very old with low ceilings and excellent clam chowdah.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
On 8/26/2021 at 1:30 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

now that I've broached the sensitive subject of the piece of **** 2012 film, i will take the time to say that I have been avoiding talking about it for a variety of reasons, one of which is that I just cannot rein in THE INTENSITY of MY HATRED for it....which has grown tenfold now that I have seen so much of the original series.

I swear, if they had erased all the master tapes, summarily executed the surviving castmembers on camera and personally burned down SEAVIEW TERRACE and LYNDHURST mansions they could not have DESECRATED the original property MORE ...and it's hard to believe it was not done maliciously BECAUSE, OBVIOUSLY THE DS FANDOM ARE A SPECIAL BUNCH!!!!

the original castmembers are given a three second cameo as party guests and the camera passes right over them, which is insulting.

CHRISTOPHER LEE, who has NOTHING TO DO with the original DARK SHADOWS, is given a 3 minute long cameo with a monologue, why was this role not given to JOHNATHON FRID?

the character of CAROLYN has not only been made about 15 (so that she could play the typical ANGRY TIM BURTON TEENAGE GIRL) she is DREADFUL, not only is the actress playing her lousy, but the character herself is just HATEFUL with no redeeming qualities.

The character of ROGER has no reason to even BE in the movie, there is no redemption arc and in fact- HE TAKES A CAB AND EXITS THE FILM about an hour into it.

the line "ok, I'm a werewolf, let's not make a big deal about it" is actually at the top of my list for FILM LINES OF DIALOGUE EVER EVER EVER.

the complete misunderstanding of the BARNABAS/JULIA relationship (replete with aN ORAL SEX scene)

the performance and styling of HELENA BONHAM CARTER, also she is a loathsome character, and WHY DOES SHE EVEN LIVE THERE??????????

Angelique's PARTY CITY wig....

I COULD KEEP GOING HERE, BUT I WON'T.

Don't even get me going on how much I hate the film. How disappointed I was when it came out. How angry I was that they didn't film in the original locations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 8/26/2021 at 3:45 PM, Roy Cronin said:

Oh! I just thought of this.  Did any of the main cast ever smoke on camera.  Many, of course,  were heavy smokers.

And there was naturally smoking visible in The Blue Whale.

I laugh every time I see Miss Hoffman strike one up in Barn's house. (I think it was only the one time tho) Like he would put up with that smell????

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

Early on in the series, we see the kitchen and again when Willie comes to stay and he sits down and tells Mrs. J that he wants steak and eggs for breakfast. Then he goes on to bully Carolyn and Vicki.

early willie loomis was a real wiseass.

4 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

I laugh every time I see Miss Hoffman strike one up in Barn's house. (I think it was only the one time tho) Like he would put up with that smell????

I loved how she'd pretend to be checking her make up in order to see if he reflected in her compact mirror.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

He tried to harass Carolyn later on until she pulled a gun on him. Good for her.

Willie was actually originally played by James Hall for 4 or 5 episodes....he was playing Willie after bothering Vicki and Carolyn and when Carolyn ordered him to leave her alone with the gun. 

By the time Willie gets a much deserved butt-kicking, John Karlen assumes the role. Personally I preferred John in the role. Not that Hall was bad, but Karlen took Willie on a whole other level, from bullying creep to hapless vampire slave.

• Like 2

I didn't realize Karlen wasn't the original Willie. I guess because they don't show those earlier episodes before Barnabas arrives. Haven't seen them since the show started. He owned the role. He was great.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

she could be Nicholas Blair's fat shrewish wife.

We're thinking in the same direction. The older Liz could have played Magda the gypsy (or her sister) without all of Grayson's makeup.

6 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

Got Frid's autograph on one of my drawings...

Willie&BarnAutographed.jpg

Janet, that's such a cool drawing, and a real treasure with both of the signatures.

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I cannot begin to tell you how much I have enjoyed OUR EXCHANGE AT "THE WRITER'S TABLE" HERE. All we need is GARRY MARSHALL sitting at the head emphatically saying: "Just so long as it isn't JAMAICAN HOMELESS PEOPLE SUCKIN' SOUP ALL DAY!"

Working in a Soapdish reference gets you extra credit, of the "peppy and cheap" variety!

• Like 1
9 hours ago, King Rat said:

Another of my favorite lines!

SOAPDISH is imminently quotable. it's on AMAZON PRIME and I have been avoiding watching it because I am worried, ironically, it might induce melancholia for both the glorious bygone age of daytime television and BIG SCREEN ROMANTIC COMEDY.

(For the record, I myself struggle with "The BILL STYRON THING" and have to be careful at certain times as I am susceptible to nostalgic depression)

still not mad at THE LEVIATHAN(s?) storyline...although i am sorry they "aged out" THE LITTLE BLONDE KID FROM QUEENS who played THE BEAST AT AGE 8 so quickly. He was such an uncanny combination of spooky and hilarious, like PAUL WILLIAMS possessed by JOE PESCI...

"YO! It'd be a REAL FREAKIN SHAME if sumthin happened to this here antique shop, Lady..."

Dark Shadows Before I Die: Dark Shadows Episode 905 - 12/15/69

also, forgive me for invoking his name, but does anyone else see a resemblance to the 45th PRESIDENT?

• Haha 2