Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm sorry but I just NEED to talk about DARK SHADOWS

Are they still selling the coffin version of Dark Shadows? I'm thinking of buying whatever set is available as a Xmas present. The only way I'll be able to watch all of it since my cable dropped Decades (and they seem to be just repeating the one segment over and over again anyway (Decades).

6 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Are they still selling the coffin version of Dark Shadows? I'm thinking of buying whatever set is available as a Xmas present. The only way I'll be able to watch all of it since my cable dropped Decades (and they seem to be just repeating the one segment over and over again anyway (Decades).

https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Shadows-Complete-Original-Deluxe/dp/B007PZ6SYK/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=dark+shadows+coffin+set&qid=1631813900&sr=8-1

they have a used one for $299.99!!

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

You know her from something else?

She was a Bob Fosse protegee who was in the original cast of A Chorus Line, so she is primarily known as a dancer. Later in her career, she played Sally (the singing role, originally played by Dorothy Collins) in a Paper Mill Playhouse revival of Follies. A friend who saw that production loved McKechnie, praised her singing, and thought that if this production had gone to Broadway it would have revived her career as a singer/actress.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I'm one of those that disliked the Quentin/Amanda pairing....The writers would have done well to have done more with the potential Quentin/Beth/Angelique triangle with a bit of the possessed-by-Pansy Faye Charity Trask thrown in there.

things just got SO EXHAUSTING and unfocused by the end of 1897, first they pair QUENTIN with BETH, then bring in ANGELIQUE to suddenly decide SHE has to have him, then they pair him with CHARITY and then they throw AMANDA into the mix (on top of also recasting KATHRYN LEIGH SCOTT as KITTY SOAMES)

and then AMANDA is around for a handful of episodes and she's gone.

I guess it's good to see them continuing the story for continuity's sake, but damn, the actress is so bad and the whole story seems so forced.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, King Rat said:

She was a Bob Fosse protegee who was in the original cast of A Chorus Line, so she is primarily known as a dancer. Later in her career, she played Sally (the singing role, originally played by Dorothy Collins) in a Paper Mill Playhouse revival of Follies. A friend who saw that production loved McKechnie, praised her singing, and thought that if this production had gone to Broadway it would have revived her career as a singer/actress.

Don't you mean Michael Bennett? They were married for a time.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I see they are selling it in sections for $25-30 per.  I'll go that route and buy it in stages. But it doesn't look like they have every part. Wish someone would rerelease it as a WHOLE set!

Poor Philip Todd.  Trapped in a loveless marriage in a small dump in rural Maine.  God knows where the nearest disco was, and cruising The Blue Whale was probably off limits.

At least there were antiques. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
22 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

apologies if this offends, but something about the LEVIATHAN storyline that I am surprisingly amused by has been the three characters of MEGAN and her HUSBAND as well as "actress" OLIVIA COREY, who is the reincarnation of AMANDA from 1897- although the character in that storyline had, i felt, next to NO POINT AT ALL.

MEGAN is portrayed by MARIE WALLACE with a misplaced INTENSITY that I just cannot help but chuckle at- it's my understanding from watching some interviews that MARIE WALLACE has been very kind and supportive of the fans of the show, so I'll let her be...(ALSO, THIS WIG IS EVERYTHING)

See the source image

her husband is played by CHRIS BERNAU and- again, apologies- but WOW, HE IS GAY. Like the guy couldn't fool HELEN KELLER. Gay gay. Gay gay gay gay gay...[I imdb'd him and saw his tragic fate, so I'll also let him be]...AND AGAIN, he's not a bad actor, just SO OBVIOUSLY GAY he makes LOUIS EDMUNDS look BUTCH (no small feat at that)

See the source image

but DONNA MCKECHIE (and I apologize if i spell her name wrong) is just so spectacularly bad as OLIVIA/AMANDA (and she later shows up in 1840 as another character) that honestly, I'm amused. I saw her in a scene with DAVID SELBY yesterday where FOR THE ENTIRE EXCHANGE she is looking OFFSTAGE TO THE RIGHT and you CAN SEE HER EYEBALLS MOVE AS SHE READS OFF THE DAMN TELEPROMPTER, (very badly I might add- it reminded me of the "brain fever/brake fluid" misread at the end of SOAPDISH. )

olivia%2Bcorey%2B12.26.12.png&ehk=GKzlxa

I don't remember Chris Bernau. So he was in the Leviathon story? I read up on him (what little there was) and he moved on to Love of Life. He was a well regarded actor there.

34 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I don't remember Chris Bernau. So he was in the Leviathon story? I read up on him (what little there was) and he moved on to Love of Life. He was a well regarded actor there.

he played the owner of the antique shoppe who becomes the "stern father" of the fast-growing LEVIATHAN child (who turns into CHRIS PENNOCK)

i REALLY DID MYSELF A DISSERVICE (oops, caps lock) in skipping over so much of the LEVIATHAN story, I am now able to understand CHRIS PENNOCK'S odd performance as "JEB" because he is essentially literally playing a bratty manchild, which I didn't get why before, but now i do.

• Like 1

also, gotta love that JEB is short for "JABEZ", WHICH I THOUGHT had to be a made-up name until I googled it and it's real. it's from the Bible and it means BRINGER OF SORROW, which kinda helps to explain why you never find it in the personalized license plate/coffee mug section of the gift store.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jabez_(biblical_figure)

• Like 1

they were all over the bleeping place with that leviathan story. first the writers hijack poor barnabas as he is walking through the woods having finally found josette again reincarnated as kitty soames...absolutely no explanation how the leviathans are able to exert control over barnabas. they return him to the 20th century and is once again evil and hostile to his closest confidants willie and julia. what were the writers doing? setting us up for their disconnected  1991 storyline. this divergence ruined the whole show for me. they threw some great stuff at us but then just as quickly threw it aside like barnabas strangulating, now get this, angelique's husband what's his name? he then impulsively flees into parallel time to escape angelique's wrath. since when has he ever been afraid of angelique?  0ne great development that the writers really messed up on was when barnabas vampirizes megan todd. hell, she is even glad she has immortality. no sooner does she bite Roger than Barnabas has willie and julia conduct a search for her coffin where they stake her.

no rogue female vampires allowed. she was too much of a distraction for the writers.

:lol:

DS needed more female vamps because they were hot.

:)

Willie doesn't reappear until midway through the Leviathan storyline, Barnabas' hostile attitude is directed mainly towards Julia. By the time Willie shows up, Barnabas has come to his senses, though at a cost, he's turned back into a vampire by Jeb.

Maybe Marie just wanted to leave the show, hence Megan's shortened career as a vamp. Angelique made one terrific vampire, that's for sure, I always enjoyed watching her put the bite into Barnabas.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Maybe Marie just wanted to leave the show, hence Megan's shortened career as a vamp. Angelique made one terrific vampire, that's for sure, I always enjoyed watching her put the bite into Barnabas.

Marie Wallace was one of the original stars of Somerset as India Delaney, the beautiful, selfish, and grasping daughter-in-law of the richest man in town. She even inherited the company because Jasper Delaney was disgusted that neither son had the killer instinct in business. If this sounds like a great part for Marie Wallace, it was. I think this was the part she got when she left DS. She was undone not by a vampire or a Leviathan but by a regime change in the writing department, which canned many of the original characters.

She also played Crystal, the Joan Crawford role, in a 1973 Broadway revival of The Women, with Kim Hunter, Alexis Smith, Myrna Loy, Rhonda Fleming, Dorothy Loudon, and Jan Miner.

1 minute ago, King Rat said:

Marie Wallace was one of the original stars of Somerset as India Delaney, the beautiful, selfish, and grasping daughter-in-law of the richest man in town. She even inherited the company because Jasper Delaney was disgusted that neither son had the killer instinct in business. If this sounds like a great part for Marie Wallace, it was. I think this was the part she got when she left DS. She was undone not by a vampire or a Leviathan but by a regime change in the writing department, which canned many of the original characters.

She also played Crystal, the Joan Crawford role, in a 1973 Broadway revival of The Women, with Kim Hunter, Alexis Smith, Myrna Loy, Rhonda Fleming, Dorothy Loudon, and Jan Miner.

She played Crystal in that revival??? Surprised they didn't get another big name for that (considering the cast).

17 hours ago, Roy Cronin said:

Poor Philip Todd....cruising The Blue Whale was probably off limits.

At least there were antiques. 

Actually, The Blue Whale was a surprisingly open and tolerant joint. The real problem was the fact that Roger Collins had worn down the record of IT’S RAINING MEN on the jukebox to where it would no longer play. 

• Haha 4

Found this in a Dark Shadows blog: 

In Promises, Promises, Donna played Vivien Della Hoya, one of the secretaries at the insurance company. She doesn’t have a tremendous amount to do in the show, except for “Turkey Lurkey Time,” a number at the end of act one with the three secretaries performing at the office Christmas party.

Donna is the star attraction, and she really gets a chance to shine. They really choreographed the hell out of this number; I don’t think I’ve ever seen this much choreography in one place.

This is actually relevant to our purposes today, because this is the performance that got her cast as Amanda. Producer Dan Curtis went to see Promises, Promises, and “Turkey Lurkey” made such an impression on him that he asked Donna to audition for Dark Shadows. This isn’t the first time Dan’s gone shopping like this; earlier this year, he saw Jerry Lacy in Play It Again, Sam, and asked Jerry to come back to the show as another Reverend Trask. Dan apparently thought of a Broadway show as a long series of auditions for Dark Shadows.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1