Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm sorry but I just NEED to talk about DARK SHADOWS

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

For me though, BEA ARTHUR is the ONLY TURKEY LURKEY, 

To date I have never failed to laugh out loud at the delivery of "Help!" by Bea/Dorothy/Turkey in the final verse of the song.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I searched for "A Darkness at Blaisedon" in the TCM Message Boards, and did not find it. Apologies if this news is old and redundant.

Tubi is showing A Darkness at Blaisedon, a failed TV pilot produced by Dan Curtis. Dark Shadows fans might find it worth a look. Besides the familiar music by Robert Cobert, this 1969 ABC broadcast features DS alumni Thayer David and Louis Edmonds.

• Thanks 1
35 minutes ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

I searched for "A Darkness at Blaisedon" in the TCM Message Boards, and did not find it. Apologies if this news is old and redundant.

Tubi is showing A Darkness at Blaisedon, a failed TV pilot produced by Dan Curtis. Dark Shadows fans might find it worth a look. Besides the familiar music by Robert Cobert, this 1969 ABC broadcast features DS alumni Thayer David and Louis Edmonds.

I am pretty impressed with the catalogue of TUBI. They even have FACES OF DEATH- if you're "in" to that sort of thing. Also, as aforementioned, the commercials are pretty minimal, if repetitive- i would not have been able to have made it as far as i have into the DARK SHADOWS episodes if there were a PLUTO-TV level of ads, i think, accounting for the edit of the end credits, each episode goes by- commercials and all- in 26-27 minutes. (it's not fair to watch it like that, i know, I;ll never know the long slow agony of love and hate that came from waiting every day for an installment, of this particular show, but as someone who grew up on soaps in the 80's,. I know the feel.

they also have DAN CURTIS'S BRAM STOKER'S JACK PALANCE'S DRACULA on TUBI, a 1974 TV movie that apparently got preempted by NIXON addressing the nation. ..it's um, okay. It means well and all, but I was not terribly impressed.

See the source image

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I am pretty impressed with the catalogue of TUBI. They even have FACES OF DEATH- if you're "in" to that sort of thing. Also, as aforementioned, the commercials are pretty minimal, if repetitive- i would not have been able to have made it as far as i have into the DARK SHADOWS episodes if there were a PLUTO-TV level of ads, i think, accounting for the edit of the end credits, each episode goes by- commercials and all- in 26-27 minutes. (it's not fair to watch it like that, i know, I;ll never know the long slow agony of love and hate that came from waiting every day for an installment, of this particular show, but as someone who grew up on soaps in the 80's,. I know the feel.

they also have DAN CURTIS'S BRAM STOKER'S JACK PALANCE'S DRACULA on TUBI, a 1974 TV movie that apparently got preempted by NIXON addressing the nation. ..it's um, okay. It means well and all, but I was not terribly impressed.

See the source image

I also like Tubi's movie catalogue . . . and its overall catalogue of entertainment.

Pluto TV blows. Too many commercials. Too many of the same commercials. Sometimes I'll scroll through its offerings and every channel I hit has a commercial -- sometimes the same commercial.

Too much repetition. Pluto TV shows the same episodes of one season of a show (that aired for several years) over and over and over . . . Recently Pluto TV resurrected its James Bond channel, which tiresomely repeats a limited number of Bond thrillers.

Re Dan Curtis' Dracula, I don't know about its preemption. I watched it (and enjoyed it) when it originally aired.

Another "small screen" adaptation of Bram Stoker's immortal story is the 1977 BBC production, available on YouTube. Louis Jourdan -- of all actors! -- portrays The Count . . . and very commendably, IMO.

FYI: Dark Shadows TV ($6.99 a month, 14-day trial)

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

I also like Tubi's movie catalogue . . . and its overall catalogue of entertainment.

Pluto TV blows. Too many commercials. Too many of the same commercials. Sometimes I'll scroll through its offerings and every channel I hit has a commercial -- sometimes the same commercial.

Too much repetition. Pluto TV shows the same episodes of one season of a show (that aired for several years) over and over and over . . . Recently Pluto TV resurrected its James Bond channel, which tiresomely repeats a limited number of Bond thrillers.

Re Dan Curtis' Dracula, I don't know about its preemption. I watched it (and enjoyed it) when it originally aired.

Another "small screen" adaptation of Bram Stoker's immortal story is the 1977 BBC production, available on YouTube. Louis Jourdan -- of all actors! -- portrays The Count . . . and very commendably, IMO.

FYI: Dark Shadows TV ($6.99 a month, 14-day trial)

I've seen both the Louis Jordan and Jack Palance versions.

Jack Palance did justice to the count but Louis Jordan really shined in the title role.

They both beat out Frank Langella's lackluster version of Dracula for sure.

32 minutes ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

I like it less than I did when I discovered it, but Pluto has the Norwegian train! Spellbinding television. 

nordland-line-minute-by-minute.jpeg?w=10

5 hours ago, HoldenIsHere said:

To date I have never failed to laugh out loud at the delivery of "Help!" by Bea/Dorothy/Turkey in the final verse of the song.

Even if she had done nothing else, she would have deserved a lifetime achievement award for that moment.

• Thanks 1

See the source image

[eerie music]

"Collinwood, Leap Year, 1971 Parallel time...a trio of wary travelers have emerged- yet again- from a room that transports through not just time, but existence itself- where a door opens into not only another era, but another reality within that era...and within that era within a reality within a time that awaits them, there is a gathering of others whose fates they have altered in other eras and times..."

VOICEOVER: CAROLYN/PANSY/LETICIA SINGING: "I'm gonna dance for you...gonna chase your cares away...."

INTERIOR: COLLINWOOD DRAWING ROOM

CAROLYN/PANSY/LETICIA continues gadding about the room as she continues her song for it's ninth consecutive hour with no signs of slowing up.

Sitting on the couch is ELIZABETH COLLINS STODDARD, only she has been possessed by the spirit of NAOMI COLLINS. She is spinning the loaded chamber in a revolver and staring  [with intese hatred] at PANSY.

LETITIACAROLYNSY: "someone to hootchie-koo, and tur-rara-boombier (sic)"

ELIZABETH/NAOMI  SIGHS HEAVILY, then puts the revolver back in the drawer and pours out the last of the mid-morning Sherry.

The phone rings and ROGER steps into the room wearing ELIZABETH'S DAFFODIL-YELLOW CAFTAN with HIGH NECKLINE. Roger removes a CLIP-ON EARRING and answers the phone:

ROGER: "YES, this is ELIZABETH COLLINS STODDARD..."

Watching from the FOYER are BARNABAS and JULIA, who reacts with SHOCK.

JULIA: "BARNABAS!! WHAT DID HE JUST SAY?

BARNABAS: "Apparently, under a curse from Angelique, the spirit of ELIZABETH COLLINS in 1971 actual time but not a leap year has possessed Roger in leap year 1971 parallel time. Only she has no recollection of what she came here to tell us..."

JULIA: So what do you think BARNABAS!!, should we call it a day or or try the parallel time room again or what? I mean, we've been in worse times and realities than this..." (bewildered look)

BARNABAS; "I don't know JULIA, let us see what ELLIOT has to tell us on his return from the village..."

JUST THEN, THE DOORS BURST OPEN: IT'S ELLIOT, AND THE LOOK ON his face is one that betrays he REGRETS DEEPLY what he must tell them.

JULIA "Oh Christ, Eliot! what, is it? What's wrong with this reality? Is  NIxon still President?"

ELIOT: "Worse. I went to the Rexall, Julia..."

JULIA: "And?"

ELIOT: "Julia, I regret to tell you..." (cannot finish)

JULIA: "Eliot, please, tell me!"

ELIOT: "Julia, in this reality and this time frame, stringent tobacco laws have outlawed its manufacture and sale entirely, therefore I could not pick you up a carton of unfiltered  LUCKY STRIKES as you requested because, sadly, in this time and universe, they do not exist."

CUE: REACTION MUSIC FOR CLOSE-UP AS JULIA REACTS!

See the source image

• Haha 4

sorry to return to a dead horse, but I have been catching up on some of the 1840 (not parallel time) episodes I skipped over in impatience and am reminded of why i skipped ahead  as DONNA MCKECHNIE has returned as...****, I don't know her name, KATE JACKSON'S SISTER, shoehorned oddly and needlessly in near the end of the storyline just as she was in 1897.

and MY GOD, if you thought ED SULLIVAN read badly off cue cards, take a look at any of the 1190-1193 (i think) episodes. they have started shooting her in close-up so that she doesn't have to even interract with the other actors as she reads off the teleprompter with "fourth grade book report on JOHNNY TREMAIN" levels of commitment and intensity.

"but Quentin, you cannot"

(squints)

"Go."

(eyes dart left and right.)

"To Colin."

(squints again)

"Wood".

• Haha 2
On 9/17/2021 at 3:58 PM, alleybj said:

She won a Tony for best actress for it!

There was some controversy about her winning in that category. It was really a featured player role.

On 9/16/2021 at 7:07 PM, Roy Cronin said:

Poor Philip Todd.  Trapped in a loveless marriage in a small dump in rural Maine.  God knows where the nearest disco was, and cruising The Blue Whale was probably off limits.

At least there were antiques. 

He'd have to travel to Bangor or Portland for some nightlife. (On wknds Boston?)

• Haha 1

JOANNA, that was the name of the third (?) useless character that DONNA McKECHNIE did on DARK SHADOWS.

Just looked it up.

fyi, there is a DARK SHADOWS WIKI, basically an online resource equivalent to wikipedia for the show and it gives INDIVIDUAL EPISODE synopsises and cast lists and bloopers and trivia and first and last appearances of characters and actors and it is GOLD.

It also links, for each episode, to a very funny parody/review blog.

a link to their entry for episode 1190:

https://darkshadows.fandom.com/wiki/1190

here is a link to the humorous- and astoundingly thorough- blog on every episode of DARK SHADOWS (the name of the blog is DARK SHADOWS EVERY DAY). In this particular installment, the writer is reviewing  episode 698, which deals with SABRINA and her brother played by ROGER DAVIS.

It's funny, because it's one of the first episodes of the series that i saw, and looking back, the writer nails a lot of the problems with the storyline, not the least of which is that is was abandoned entirely for 1897.

the writer wrings some humor out of the icky fact that ROGER DAVIS will not keep his hands off the actress playing his sister.

https://darkshadowseveryday.com/2015/08/08/episode-698/

• Like 2
2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

here is a link to the humorous- and astoundingly thorough- blog on every episode of DARK SHADOWS (the name of the blog is DARK SHADOWS EVERY DAY). In this particular installment, the writer is reviewing  episode 698, which deals with SABRINA and her brother played by ROGER DAVIS.

It's funny, because it's one of the first episodes of the series that i saw, and looking back, the writer nails a lot of the problems with the storyline, not the least of which is that is was abandoned entirely for 1897.

the writer wrings some humor out of the icky fact that ROGER DAVIS will not keep his hands off the actress playing his sister.

https://darkshadowseveryday.com/2015/08/08/episode-698/

Ned Stuart, Sabrina's brother, was hands down the worst Roger Davis character on the show. He was unnecessarily rough with his sister.

I wouldn't be surprised he was the reason she couldn't get better when she was turned into a vegetable after witnessing Chris turn into a werewolf. It's too bad Ned never became a victim of the wolf himself.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

OH MY!!!!!!

I just realized I have made a goof, it is LEE BEERY who plays JOANNA (very badly). not DONNA McKETCHNIE (they look similar and are both heavily made up)

Poor Donna! Unfairly maligned.