Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm sorry but I just NEED to talk about DARK SHADOWS


Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I seem to remember the Vicky replacement actress only appeared for a couple wks and they wrote her out of the show. I thought it was at the end of the show, but I'm misremembering it, obviously. The show got so confusing near the end it was hard following it, yet alone remembering it!

There were two replacement Vickys, IIRC. Betsy Durkin played the role for a few weeks, and this was generally not considered a success. Then they brought on Carolyn Groves for a few days and sent Vicky back to the past to be united with Peter Bradford.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, King Rat said:

There were two replacement Vickys, IIRC. Betsy Durkin played the role for a few weeks, and this was generally not considered a success. Then they brought on Carolyn Groves for a few days and sent Vicky back to the past to be united with Peter Bradford.

Yes, I remember Betsy Durkin's name because Grayson Hall would say her name over the end credits as playing Vicki. Like a print credit wouldn't suffice? I don't remember the 2nd one at all! It was only for a short period of time and they sent her back to the past and that was the end of her.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hibi said:

Yes, I remember Betsy Durkin's name because Grayson Hall would say her name over the end credits as playing Vicki. Like a print credit wouldn't suffice? I don't remember the 2nd one at all! It was only for a short period of time and they sent her back to the past and that was the end of her.

On old soap opera episodes they used to have a voice stating when a new actor was taking over a role --- "The role of So-And-So is now being played by So-And-So"  or something like that.  I think these announcements were usually made at the beginning of an episode though rather than at the end.

They would also do that when there was  temporary replacement, for example when the regular performer was on maternity leave 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I see. She didn't take over the role for long though. I wonder what happened with Alexandra Moltke? Did she just walk out on her contract? They must've known she might be leaving. Seemed like they had no contingency plan. They hired someone(s) to replace her for a few wks then wrote the character out of the show. Strange.

Link to post
Share on other sites

DOOL news! Marlena is possessed again! LOL. I wasnt watching during the first possession so this should be fun. What's with Deidre Hall's face? None of her facial muscles seem to move. Too much botox? Too much surgery?

What's happened to Eric? Is he gone? Haven't seen him yet. And Will Horton? Are they still in the cast?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hibi said:

I see. She didn't take over the role for long though. I wonder what happened with Alexandra Moltke? Did she just walk out on her contract? They must've known she might be leaving. Seemed like they had no contingency plan. They hired someone(s) to replace her for a few wks then wrote the character out of the show. Strange.

She was married and pregnant at the time, so the writers couldn't have a 'pregnant' heroine on the show. I don't know if she was fired or just walked away though.

Viewers at the time didn't take to Betsy Durkin or Carolyn Groves, so they just wrote Vicki off altogether after a few weeks.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I see. I didn't know about the pregnancy.

As I recall, the word was that they wanted her to come back after the pregnancy, but she wanted changes in the character,  to be more complex and less naive and goody, goody.  The producers wanted the same old Vicki, so it never happened. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hibi said:

DOOL news! Marlena is possessed again! LOL. I wasnt watching during the first possession so this should be fun. What's with Deidre Hall's face? None of her facial muscles seem to move. Too much botox? Too much surgery?

 

I don't think Deidre Hall's face has moved in YEARS! Presumably she has had a lot of "work" done.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, King Rat said:

I don't think Deidre Hall's face has moved in YEARS! Presumably she has had a lot of "work" done.

LOL! I know. It's like a mask! I didn't realize until I looked it up today, but she's in her 70s. Didn't know she was that old.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

the more scenes I watch of CHRIS JENNINGS and the more things I read about DONALD BRISCOE, the more I associate myself with both.

We have a lot of things in common.

Like growing hair on your palms?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Hibi said:

THAT long????

The character of Quentin proved to be so popular, the show survived Vicki's exit.

I've heard that Alexandra Moltke wanted to return as a different character, someone much darker than the virturous Vicki, but Dan Curtis refused, insisting the audience would never accept her as anything but the sweet, innocent Miss Winters.

Despite the fact that Joel Crothers went from nice, decent guy Joe Haskell in the present to the scumbag scoundrel Nathan Forbes in 1795 and viewers had no problem adapting to that.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Hibi said:

DOOL news! Marlena is possessed again! LOL. I wasnt watching during the first possession so this should be fun. What's with Deidre Hall's face? None of her facial muscles seem to move. Too much botox? Too much surgery?

What's happened to Eric? Is he gone? Haven't seen him yet. And Will Horton? Are they still in the cast?

Will Horton and (the recast) Sonny are on BEYOND SALEM --- the DAYS OF OUR LIVES limited run spin-off series that's streaming on Peacock.  I watched part of the first episode.  From the preview Eileen Davidson is also on it as Kristen DiMera . It looks like  she also plays at least one of her other characters ---  Sister Mary Moira or possibly Susan Banks disguised as Sister Mary Moira . . . or maybe it's Kristen in disguise.

Lisa Rinna is billed as a "special guest star."

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting conversation about Alexandra....

KLS said that when she left the show to go to Europe with her fiance Dan came up with Maggie being driven off to the snakepit.....in the hope that the popular character of Maggie could soon reappear. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2021 at 8:45 PM, HoldenIsHere said:

On old soap opera episodes they used to have a voice stating when a new actor was taking over a role --- "The role of So-And-So is now being played by So-And-So"  or something like that.  I think these announcements were usually made at the beginning of an episode though rather than at the end.

They would also do that when there was  temporary replacement, for example when the regular performer was on maternity leave 

I LOVED IT WHEN THAT WOULD HAPPEN....And I kind of wish it would sometimes in real life. Like if you don’t feel like going into work, just send in a reasonable facsimile of you and they can say “the role of (your name) is being played today by...”

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just the other day, I caught some of replacement Vicki. I don’t think the actress had ever seen an episode of “dark shadows” before getting cast, she wears too much make up, she’s very chipper and there’s a lot of “Sally Field as Gidget” energy, Plus she plays a lot of her scenes opposite Nancy Barrett, who at this point was playing CAROLYN as being extra moody to compensate. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

There’s a strange point in the show where, for some reason, Nancy Barrett just decides to  play the role with no make up. None. No eyebrows, no lip, no foundation, no nothing. I’m not saying she looks bad, I’m not saying it was the wrong choice, I am saying I had to squint the first time I saw her and be like “who the hell is that?”

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

There’s a strange point in the show where, for some reason, Nancy Barrett just decides to  play the role with no make up. None. No eyebrows, no lip, no foundation, no nothing. I’m not saying she looks bad, I’m not saying it was the wrong choice, I am saying I had to squint the first time I saw her and be like “who the hell is that?”

She was going through her hippy stage maybe

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, HoldenIsHere said:

Will Horton and (the recast) Sonny are on BEYOND SALEM --- the DAYS OF OUR LIVES limited run spin-off series that's streaming on Peacock.  I watched part of the first episode.  From the preview Eileen Davidson is also on it as Kristen DiMera . It looks like  she also plays at least one of her other characters ---  Sister Mary Moira or possibly Susan Banks disguised as Sister Mary Moira . . . or maybe it's Kristen in disguise.

Lisa Rinna is billed as a "special guest star."

I assume that's why some of the regulars aren't appearing on DOOL right now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Just the other day, I caught some of replacement Vicki. I don’t think the actress had ever seen an episode of “dark shadows” before getting cast, she wears too much make up, she’s very chipper and there’s a lot of “Sally Field as Gidget” energy, Plus she plays a lot of her scenes opposite Nancy Barrett, who at this point was playing CAROLYN as being extra moody to compensate. 

I don't remember much about Betsy Durkin aside from the fact I didn't like her.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...