Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm sorry but I just NEED to talk about DARK SHADOWS

The New York Times Review:

Movie and video addicts may recall that last year's schlock vampire crowd of "House of Dark Shadows," including Joan Bennett, Jonathan Frid and Grayson Hall, sprang full grown, if not adult, onto local screens from television's "Dark Shadows" serial. But "Night of Dark Shadows," which fell on neighborhood theaters yesterday, is illustration that the pseudosinister can be a bore, even without vampires.  Miss Bennett and Mr. Frid aren't around this time, even if Miss Hall is, to attempt to chill the customers. And a good thing, too, since the script devised by Sam Hall depends a good deal on visual effects that aren't particularly effective to spin a yarn about a young couple's enslavement to the tortured but lively ghosts that haunt a country mansion they've inherited.  Dan Curtis, the producer-director, who's shepherded his harried flock from TV to "House of Dark Shadows" and to the present, moody adventure, hasn't given his cast much to work with that is either fascinating or believable. 

David Selby and Kate Jackson, as the young, abstract artist and his bride who's acquired Collinwood, seem much too hip to become the victims of Lara Parker, the sexy blonde in diaphanous shifts who'd been deep enough in hanky panky to be hanged as a witch in 1810 and is dedicated to keeping this bad work up.Mr. Selby's sudden affliction of nightmares reviving his ancestors' morbid past generated by this amorous wraith are as unconvincing as Miss Hall's weird activities. As the estate's gaunt, glacial housekeeper, she's certain that she is an early resident who's been reborn to rid Collinwood of its new owners and keep its ghosts and traditions intact.

And John Karlen and Nancy Barrett, as the couple's married friends, try to be helpful but aren't.  The attraction of this dour adventure is Lyndhurst, the Gothic revival mansion and estate, once Jay Gould's, at Tarrytown where the film was shot.   Its many period rooms, paintings and objects d'art are richly eye-filling. The somber story shot there, however, is strictly for the low-rent district.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
22 hours ago, Roy Cronin said:

From Dark Shadows Everyday:  I'm still laughing.

To review: Maggie is Maggie and Vicki is Vicki. Maggie is also Josette, but then Barnabas decides that Vicki is Josette, except Josette really is Maggie and Vicki is still Vicki. After Vicki leaves, Maggie becomes Vicki. Then Rachel (who is Vicki played by Maggie) could be Josette, but then Kitty (also Maggie) really is Josette. And finally there’s Daphne, who’s either Vicki, Maggie, Rachel, Beth or Sheriff Patterson. That last one is kind of a long shot.

I pasted a link below to a particularly touching installment of the blog which details JOEL CROTHERS' last episode, it is quite touching:

https://darkshadowseveryday.com/2015/06/04/episode-658/

• Thanks 1

i don't know why, but I was tickled by a small detail in an episode this morning, it's set during the TRANSITION OF THE LEVIATHAN STORY INTO 1995, JULIA is discussing with ELIZABETH the various omens that are foretold to come to pass right before the destruction  of COLLINWOOD, and one of those omens is that CAROLYN will SING, to which ELIZABETH- WITHOUT MISSING A BEAT- says "NONSENSE. CAROLYN CAHN'T SING..." and they just plow on.

Like, JULIA didn't say CAROLYN would SING WELL or SING ON KEY, "singing" isn't a verb like "juggling" or "cartwheeling" where it's implied in the definition that if you're doing it, you're doing it right. But no- ELIZABETH COLLINs STODDARD, a mother in the mold of EMILY GILMORE just shoots that down.

CAROLYN CAN'T SING AND SHE CAN'T DRIVE A STICK AND THAT IS THAT.

• Haha 1
18 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

i don't know why, but I was tickled by a small detail in an episode this morning, it's set during the TRANSITION OF THE LEVIATHAN STORY INTO 1995, JULIA is discussing with ELIZABETH the various omens that are foretold to come to pass right before the destruction  of COLLINWOOD, and one of those omens is that CAROLYN will SING, to which ELIZABETH- WITHOUT MISSING A BEAT- says "NONSENSE. CAROLYN CAHN'T SING..." and they just plow on.

Like, JULIA didn't say CAROLYN would SING WELL or SING ON KEY, "singing" isn't a verb like "juggling" or "cartwheeling" where it's implied in the definition that if you're doing it, you're doing it right. But no- ELIZABETH COLLINs STODDARD, a mother in the mold of EMILY GILMORE just shoots that down.

CAROLYN CAN'T SING AND SHE CAN'T DRIVE A STICK AND THAT IS THAT.

What I didn't like about this is that Elizabeth chose to believe Sebastian Shaw over Barnabas and Julia as to whether or not there would be a disaster at Collinwood. Shaw knows that there will be but lies to Elizabeth that all will continue to be well in the following weeks. 

In this instance about Carolyn's singing, Elizabeth was under the control of evil spirit Gerard's influence, it wasn't that she didn't believe Julia, she was just not herself. She had finally wised up and prepared to protect David and Hallie until Gerard got his hooks into her.

• Thanks 1
On 9/24/2021 at 12:00 PM, Roy Cronin said:

The New York Times Review:

"House of Dark Shadows,"

The DARK SHADOWS EVERYDAY BLOG has a really informative and interesting entry on HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS, which is actually co-authored by a current film critic for the NY TIMES, I am too lazy to look up the entry and paste, but it's in there somewhere.

they both TRASH ROGER DAVIS.

• Thanks 1
On 9/24/2021 at 11:51 PM, King Rat said:

Thank you. That is such a beautiful tribute to Joel Crothers, one of my favorites.

You can really go down a rabbit hole with that blog, they also have a good tribute to DON BRISCOE somewhere in there (again, to lazy to look up the link.)

I am curious if any of you know any details about THE DESTRUCTION OF THE SPRATT MANSION circa 1970 by a fire that was ruled to be arson. The house, which served as the exterior for THE OLD HOUSE on the series,  was on the same estate as THE LYNDHURST MANSION and was quite stately in its prime was, I think featured in HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS, but it seems to me as if they stopped using the exterior in the 1970-1971 seasons of the show (maybe because of the fire?)

I mean, I don't want to blame it on DARK SHADOWS fans, but at the same time, who else???

%2By2I2fN3ovHc=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I also have to say I have to wonder just what the story is as to why these two DRASTICALLY DIFFERENT HOUSES  are on the same estate a few miles north (??) of New York City.

See the source imageSee the source image

Old House New House The Hudson Valley has a lot of estates

Montgomery Place 2008.jpg

Montgomery Place, Annandale-on-Hudson, NY, kind of looks like the old house.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here's some of that funny movie commentary about Roger Davis:

David:  And here’s Roger Davis, the most hated actor on the show.

Danny:  He’s actually left the show at this point, but Curtis gives him one last chance to ruin Dark Shadows.

Danny:  And the first thing he    does is just get his hands right  on a female.

David:  Oh, I know. He’s always pawing the actresses — especially Lisa Richards, actually.  He’s all over her when he’s playing her brother.

Danny:  Yeah, super creepy. And now he gets to do it on the big screen, in Metrocolor.

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I am curious if any of you know any details about THE DESTRUCTION OF THE SPRATT MANSION circa 1970 by a fire that was ruled to be arson. The house, which served as the exterior for THE OLD HOUSE on the series,  was on the same estate as THE LYNDHURST MANSION and was quite stately in its prime was, I think featured in HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS, but it seems to me as if they stopped using the exterior in the 1970-1971 seasons of the show (maybe because of the fire?)

I mean, I don't want to blame it on DARK SHADOWS fans, but at the same time, who else???

I knew with every fireplace going in every room in every house every hour of the day sooner or later something would burn down. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
13 hours ago, scsu1975 said:

I knew with every fireplace going in every room in every house every hour of the day sooner or later something would burn down. 

I've deduced that all those roaring fires have to be artificial logs and gas jets, which I did not know were around in the late 1960s,  but they are very effective and add a lot of ambience.

every now and then, as with the destruction of COLLINWOOD and CHARLES TATE'S STUDIO they put a gas burner right in front of the camera and film through the slightly spaced-out  vertical line of flames.

17 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Old House New House The Hudson Valley has a lot of estates

Montgomery Place 2008.jpg

Montgomery Place, Annandale-on-Hudson, NY, kind of looks like the old house.

Must be a little like LOS ANGELES, where you see every style imaginable on every street  (colonial, Tudor, Spanish-style, Craftsman cottage...)

• Like 2
1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I've gone back to some pretty early episodes and I am taken aback by how handsome JERRY LACY is without the TRASK MAKE-UP:

See the source image

Yes, he was very attractive.

14 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Wonder if Rev Trask's skel is still walled up in it?

I think my favorite "running gag" (I know that's not the right word, but lietmotif doesn't quite fit either) on the show are the fates of TRASK in his various incarnations- twice walled up and once mortally wounded where he stumbles into a parallel time and dies...if the show had kept running it would have been fun to see him basically end up entombed at the end of every storyline in some form or another, Hell, they could have a bedroom in the East Wing full of TRASK SKELETONS.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wish I could unlock the mystery of what went down with DON BRISCOE, I rewatched his final episode the other day (sorry I'm too lazy to google the wiki entry or episode number), as i recall it, he looks fine and doesn't act unusual, but clearly his final scene was not meant to be his final scene...it is 1970 PARALLEL time and he is playing THE COLLINS FAMILY LAWYER and he goes to see the CHRIS PENNOCK as DR JEKYLL  character, who is trying to set up a power of attorney for his GABE KAPLAN/MR HYDE alter ego, and DON BRISCOE as the lawyer, tells DR. PENNOCK-JEKYLL that GABE KAPLAN is going to have to come to his office to see him about this, he seems exasperated and leaves....and that's it.

the rest of the episode leads me to think that it was VERY HASTILY REWRITTEN and improvised ON THE SAME DAY when none of the regulars could come in, because JEYKLL turns into GABE KAPLAN/HYDE and goes off and (it is implied) rapes a barmaid named BUFFIE who does a couple more episodes and then fades away with her fate undetermined.

i wonder if maybe on the day of taping BRISCOE did the scene, then had such a terrible nervous breakdown/drug trip that they had to redo and improvise the rest of the episode on the same day (while the episodes were taped live, they would air a week to ten days later)

sorry if this was a confusing post.