Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm sorry but I just NEED to talk about DARK SHADOWS

7 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

also also, neither really here or there....but i could not help but notice yesterday....

right after CHRIS JENNINGS comes to town, he meets CAROLYN at COLLINWOOD and there is a backstory that they know each other, quite well obviously, because they make a date which is IMMEDITALY FOLLOWED BY SOME HOT AND REPEATED KISSING WHICH IS SPICY FOR DAYTIME TV IN 1968!!!!!!!

I mean, the ACTORS seem into it, which is something, on many levels because not only was DON BRISCOE gay, DARK SHADOWS isn't really known for its romance or steam factor, a mean, a compilation of KISS SCENES from the entire 5 seasons would be less than a minute I bet, and at least 20 seconds of that compilation would be CAROLYN AND CHRIS.

That's right, they never did show us Magda and Sandor in a makeout session, did they?

• Haha 1
15 hours ago, Hibi said:

Lorna, are you ever coming back to post on other threads (not that I don't enjoy you here). Your public misses you! (not just me :D)

thank you, i appreciate that...i actually started writing a post here the other day saying that I really hoped there would be a good line up of HALLOWEEN HORROR THIS MONTH because I am getting "sick" of DARK SHADOWS...the same way I am "getting sick" of the Gelato from Aldi as I stuff my face into it every time i pass the freezer.

i feel as i have been trapped in another time of my own...and i like it here...I even feel like THE BOOM MIC is an OLD FRIEND DROPPING IN...

also also, i went and backfilled on some episodes I skipped that deal with the time between the return from 1995 and the destruction of COLLINWOOD by Gerard's Zombie Wrestlers and OH MY GOD THE COSTUME DESIGNERS ARE REALLY OVERDOING IT NOW THAT THEY ARE BACK IN THE PRESENT TIME AND MOST DELICIOUSLY WITH CHRISTOPHER PENNOCK'S CHARACTER SEBASTIAN SHAW WHO IS AN ASTROLOGIST WITH POSSIBLE SINISTER MOTIVES THAT ARE CONCEALED BY THE FACT THAT HE DRESSES LIKE DUSTIN HOFFMAN AS "TOOTSIE"

See the source image

He wears the MOST DELIGHTFULLY HIIIIIIIIIIDEEEEEOUS ASSORTMENT OF BATIK-PRINT DASHIKIS AND BLOUSES WITH HE ACCESSORIZES WITH A GIANT SORT OF "ANN TAYLOR" POWER NECKLACE THAT SADLY YOU CANNOT REALLY SEE IN THIS PICTURE.

I JUST SPENT HALF AN HOUR SCOURING THE INTERNET FOR IMAGES OF THE VARIOUS ENSEMBLES SPORTED BY CHRIS PENNOCK, WHO MAY HAVE BREASTED THE TAPE FOR THE TITLE "GAYEST STRAIGHT MAN ALIVE, 1970" FROM COSTAR MICHAEL STROKA  BUT TRAGICALLY THERE ARE ALMOST NONE TO BE FOUND.

See the source image

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Hibi said:

ROFL!!!!! That thing looks HEAVY.

It has too much negative space. That big hoop needs Shiva or a GIANT MOTHER OF PEARL MOOD RING in the center...and the crescent moon it has kind of a "Nation of Islam" sort of vibe...also, good luck fitting it in your jewelry cleaner.

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

LORNAHANSONFORBES did you watch the first 200 or so episodes before Barnabas?

They are actually not available, the DARK SHADOWS eps on Tubi Start with the introduction of Barnabas and go to the end of the show, but they leave out those first 10 months. There is a compilation called “dark shadows the beginning“. I’m sure I’ll probably get to it someday- But I have to give the admission that while I really enjoy black-and-white films, I have a hard time with black and white kinescope television shows, It always feels like I’m watching them reflected in the fender of a car or something.

• Like 1

A new documentary: DARK SHADOWS AND BEYOND,  THE JONATHAN FRID STORY

Though Dark Shadows was a daytime soap opera not exactly known for its production values (or rehearsal time, something reflected on by his Dark Shadows co-stars; the doc features interviews with David Selby, Lara Parker, Nancy Barrett, Marie Wallace, Kathryn Leigh Scott, and James Storm), Frid learned to keep up with its fast-paced schedule and appreciated how a show that ran every day gave him the room to explore all facets of his character. “In this one role I’ve played a dozen roles,” he says in one of several archival interviews included in the film. Dark Shadows was fond of time shifts—including a leap backward that allowed Frid to play Barnabas before his vampiric transformation—but he’s also speaking about how Barnabas was such a complicated character no matter the circumstances he found himself in. As a vampire, he was never merely a monster, he was a tragic figure who felt deep emotions (including guilt)—complexities that Frid’s well-honed acting skills allowed him to pull off, and in turn, made the character a sensation.

As the title suggests, Dark Shadows and Beyond also delves into Frid’s post-TV career, in which he toured in a series of one-man shows that capitalized on the Barnabas Collins fan base (the shows often included recitations of Edgar Allan Poe and Shakespeare) while allowing the actor to explore his love of the stage. There are very few negative moments in the documentary. It quickly touches on the fact that Frid’s dislike of how Barnabas was portrayed in the 1970 feature film House of Dark Shadows (and his reluctance to sign on for a sequel) is what led to his departure from the TV series, which was subsequently canceled. We also get a sense that Frid got a little tired of always being expected to play the vampire for his adoring public. Still, he was a good sport, agreeing to host a “Miss American Vampire Pageant” and go on extended tours in Latin America, where a dubbed-in-Spanish version of Dark Shadows brought him a second wave of superstardom.

Dark Shadows and Beyond: The Jonathan Frid Story hits digital platforms, DVD, and Blu-ray on October 5.

• Like 1

I don’t know why it is that KINESCOPED TV SHOWS make everyone look like the “ITS SHAKE N’ BAKE AND I HAILPED” girl- but they do and it unsettles me.

(Please tell me some of you know this reference.)

a question for you, Lorna, you great DS Lady. Barnabas' iconic portrait that hangs in the collinwood foyer. I've long wondered about this. in the portrai he has a medal around his neck as well as the one on his coat. do these two medals mean that Barnabas fought with bravery and distinction in the Revolutionary War?

:)

Barnabas Collins Canvas Portrait from DARK SHADOWS | Etsy

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

a question for you, Lorna, you great DS Lady. Barnabas' iconic portrait that hangs in the collinwood foyer. I've long wondered about this. in the portrai he has a medal around his neck as well as the one on his coat. do these two medals mean that Barnabas fought with bravery and distinction in the Revolutionary War?

:)

Barnabas Collins Canvas Portrait from DARK SHADOWS | Etsy

they're probably just jewelry since there is ne mention of his wartime service although that skunk nathan forbes was a friend of his.

They are actually not available, the DARK SHADOWS eps on Tubi Start with the introduction of Barnabas and go to the end of the show, but they leave out those first 10 months. There is a compilation called “dark shadows the beginning“. I’m sure I’ll probably get to it someday- But I have to give the admission that while I really enjoy black-and-white films, I have a hard time with black and white kinescope television shows, It always feels like I’m watching them reflected in the fender of a car or something.

Only a few of the pre-Barnabas DARK SHADOWS episodes (aka THEBEGINNING) are kinescope copies.  Most of them are the original black-and-white broadcast recordings. It is quite noticeable when  you suddenly come upon a kinescope copy versus an original.

For some episodes after the arrival of Barnabas  that were originally broadcast in color, kinescope copies (in black-and-white) are all that are available.

It is truly remarkable that all episodes of DARK SHADOWS exist , even if some of them are kinescope copies. Most daytime television recordings from that time were routinely erased so that the tapes could be re-used.

• Thanks 1

They are actually not available, the DARK SHADOWS eps on Tubi Start with the introduction of Barnabas and go to the end of the show, but they leave out those first 10 months. 

I watched all the initial episodes on Amazon Prime. They end at a certain point, and then the episodes on TUBI take over. I also know that Pluto TV was showing episodes, but I'm not sure if they start at the beginning.

3 minutes ago, HoldenIsHere said:

Only a few of the pre-Barnabas DARK SHADOWS episodes (aka THEBEGINNING) are kinescope copies.  Most of them are the original black-and-white broadcast recordings. It is quite noticeable when  you suddenly come upon a kinescope copy versus an original.

It is truly remarkable that all episodes of DARK SHADOWS, even if some of them are kinescope copies. Most daytime television recordings from that time were routinely erased so that the tapes could be re-used.

please tell me, fellow child of the 90's, that you know what i mean by THE CREEPY SHAKE N' BAKE GIRL, yes?