Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm sorry but I just NEED to talk about DARK SHADOWS

39 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I was intent of backing off of DARK SHADOWS, but I recently stumbled upon a "hot pocket" in the storyline where things come together and it gets good-

VICTORIA has returned from being hanged (how ****ing HARDCORE is that by the way??, if they had wanted to make ALEXANDRA MOLTKE happy, they should have had her play the role as WEDNESDAY ADDAMS)), PROF STOKES has stepped into the lead role, ramifications of the past are worked SO CLEVERLY INTO THE STORYLINE!!! (Especially the return of REV. TRASK and his REVENGE ON BARANABAS!) and PROF STOKES feeling a link with BEN STOKES and finishing a letter he has written- I daresay THAYER DAVID was the best (male) actor on the show, i know JOHN KARLEN is good, but he is taxing to watch sometimes. THATER DAVID (working his CHARLES COBURN MONOCLE) 100% understands the kind of performance he needs to give as PROF STOKES, and he nails it (which wakes STOKES'S rather spotty success rate as a paranormal researcher all the more amusing.)

I ALSO DON'T MIND the dream curse storyline, I know some of you said you hated it....of course, i have benefitted from being able to pick and chose my storylines, it's not like i have to watch in one a day installments.

I have largely sidestepped THE ADAM STORYLINE and yet, at this point, I am bemused by it.

Yeah, I hated the Dream Curse story because it went on FOREVER. And we'd be stuck watching these cheesy dream sequences weekly for EONS. :( (they'd always end the show) If Angelique wanted to put a curse on someone, why didn't she just do it in REAL TIME???

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Yeah, I hated the Dream Curse story because it went on FOREVER. And we'd be stuck watching these cheesy dream sequences weekly for EONS. :( (they'd always end the show) If Angelique wanted to put a curse on someone, why didn't she just do it in REAL TIME???

the story of nearly every soap is a series of peaks and valleys, a story will get RED HOT and sometimes they resolve it right and sometimes they don't [edit- sometimes they don't resolve it at all], and sometimes the show ends up going off the rails (hopefully to recover, although not always, as was the case with SANTA BARBARA or ANOTHER WORLD after 1992)

Just now, LornaHansonForbes said:

I still can't believe I'm the only one here who watched SANTA BARBARA...

I guess all the rest of you were busy at 3:00 pm on weekdays in the eighties...

I remember watching SANTA BARBARA for a couple of years, just before Mary's death up to the time Mason was recast (not once but twice). 

Cruz and Eden were my favorite couple, and I loathed Keith Timmons whenever he was out to get Cruz or any of the Capwells. Though I will concede he was a hoot whenever he was with Gina.

• Like 1

I remember reading somewhere (Soap Opera Digest perhaps?) that a number of Nancy's coworkers were opposed to that marriage and advised against it.

Can't you picture Joan taking her into her dressing room, light a cigarette and say "Darling, No!  Don't do it!  Your mother knows from bad marriages!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Roy Cronin said:

I remember reading somewhere (Soap Opera Digest perhaps?) that a number of Nancy's coworkers were opposed to that marriage and advised against it.

Can't you picture Joan taking her into her dressing room, light a cigarette and say "Darling, No!  Don't do it!  Your mother knows from bad marriages!"

(meanwhile Joan's husband #3 is in wardrobe trying to get his hands on THE PAISLEY PUCCI PRINT she wore in that day's show....)

• Haha 2
4 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I remember watching SANTA BARBARA for a couple of years, just before Mary's death up to the time Mason was recast (not once but twice). 

Cruz and Eden were my favorite couple, and I loathed Keith Timmons whenever he was out to get Cruz or any of the Capwells. Though I will concede he was a hoot whenever he was with Gina.

THE C KILLING MARY was one of THE MOST SHOCKING THINGS that ever happened in a soap. KEITH was played by a really good actor, I would have thought he might go on to a bigger career (he looked like MICHAEL KEATON) but he stayed in daytime (and won a bunch of Emmys)

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I still can't believe I'm the only one here who watched SANTA BARBARA...

I guess all the rest of you were busy at 3:00 pm on weekdays in the eighties...

I just never got into soaps. Too much talk and SO SLOW.. Even now, watching DOOL, I  FF through at least HALF of it. Boring talk or characters I don't care about....

22 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

the story of nearly every soap is a series of peaks and valleys, a story will get RED HOT and sometimes they resolve it right and sometimes they don't [edit- sometimes they don't resolve it at all], and sometimes the show ends up going off the rails (hopefully to recover, although not always, as was the case with SANTA BARBARA or ANOTHER WORLD after 1992)

You often got the feeling when they started a DS storyline they didnt have a good idea where they were going with it and thought up stuff as they went along, sometimes filling up airtime with filler.

• Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

(meanwhile Joan's husband #3 is in wardrobe trying to get his hands on THE PAISLEY PUCCI PRINT she wore in that day's show....)

I'd heard Joan's last hubby (4?) was a cross dresser. LOL. But they weren't married then yet.

• Thanks 1

THE C KILLING MARY was one of THE MOST SHOCKING THINGS that ever happened in a soap. KEITH was played by a really good actor, I would have thought he might go on to a bigger career (he looked like MICHAEL KEATON) but he stayed in daytime (and won a bunch of Emmys)

LOL. High drama! What did the C stand for????? Who was the actor in that scene? He looked familiar.

also, now that I have seen DAVID SELBY AS QUENTIN I can TOTALLY SEE how LANE DAVIES as MASON CAPWELL somewhat copied his style...(although he did it very well)

Who was Mason Capwell?

10 minutes ago, Hibi said:

LOL. High drama! What did the C stand for????? Who was the actor in that scene? He looked familiar.

THE c STOOD FOR capwell (damn caps lock) it was the roof of THE CAPWELL HOTEL.

LANE DAVIES played MASON (the guy trying to get onto the roof) he had a role in an episode of THE GOLDEN GIRLS as the attorney who goes after DOROTHY for being a slumlord.

19 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I'd heard Joan's last hubby (4?) was a cross dresser. LOL. But they weren't married then yet.

oops, sorry. Hubby #3 was the one who shot her agent in the d!ck though, right?

(again, totally someone you'd wanna take marriage advice from)

40 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

oops, sorry. Hubby #3 was the one who shot her agent in the d!ck though, right?

(again, totally someone you'd wanna take marriage advice from)

The groin, yes. LOL. Joan didn't have good luck with husbands. I think the first one was a drunk who beat her. I guess Gene Markey was ok. Never read anything bad about him.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

THE c STOOD FOR capwell (damn caps lock) it was the roof of THE CAPWELL HOTEL.

LANE DAVIES played MASON (the guy trying to get onto the roof) he had a role in an episode of THE GOLDEN GIRLS as the attorney who goes after DOROTHY for being a slumlord.

I also saw him as one of Kelly Bundy's older boyfriends on MARRIED....WITH CHILDREN.

Davies tried to make the transition from daytime to nightime, with no success....both sitcoms he appeared in were cancelled after only a handful of episodes.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I also saw him as one of Kelly Bundy's older boyfriends on MARRIED....WITH CHILDREN.

Davies tried to make the transition from daytime to nightime, with no success....both sitcoms he appeared in were cancelled after only a handful of episodes.

he also had a small role in BODY DOUBLE, which annoyed me because he is 10000 times more charismatic than the lead DePalma chose.

He's done some touring with Shakespeare troupes since then, and I'd have to imagine he's great in any number of those parts.

• Like 1
Just now, LornaHansonForbes said:

plus I mean, he was DEADLY HANDSOME in his prime:

See the source imageSee the source image

He sure was.

I always hated the way that C.C. treated Mason.....he despised the son that he had with the ex-wife he hated, Pamela.

Ted, Eden, and Kelly were products of the union between C.C. and the love of his life, Sophia.

I always felt Mason would have been a much happier man if he told his father to go to hell in the end. C.C. never showed him one ounce of the love and affection he showed his other children.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

He sure was.

I always hated the way that C.C. treated Mason.....he despised the son that he had with the ex-wife he hated, Pamela.

Ted, Eden, and Kelly were products of the union between C.C. and the love of his life, Sophia.

I always felt Mason would have been a much happier man if he told his father to go to hell in the end. C.C. never showed him one ounce of the love and affection he showed his other children.

looking back at some of the episodes on youtube, I was taken aback by what a jerk CC was and also there is occasional sexual tension between MASON AND EDEN, maybe that's not how they intended it, but it's TOTALLY how it reads!

4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

looking back at some of the episodes on youtube, I was taken aback by what a jerk CC was and also there is occasional sexual tension between MASON AND EDEN, maybe that's not how they intended it, but it's TOTALLY how it reads!

Sophia could be a little on the holier-than-thou side herself, especially when it came to Mason's mother.

She complained to Ted that Pamela was never that much of a mother to Mason, this from the woman who had no qualms getting together with a man who was still married to another woman at the time. Also, she conveniently forgets that C.C. saw to it that Pamela couldn't even seen Mason when he was growing up.

Perhaps Pamela wouldn't have turned out so emotionally unstable if she had been allowed some kind of contact with her son during adolescent years.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Sophia could be a little on the holier-than-thou side herself, especially when it came to Mason's mother.

She complained to Ted that Pamela was never that much of a mother to Ted, this from the woman who had no qualms getting together with a man who was still married to another woman at the time. Also, she conveniently forgets that C.C. saw to it that Pamela couldn't even seen Mason when he was growing up.

Perhaps Pamela wouldn't have turned out so emotionally unstable if she had been allowed some kind of contact with her son during adolescent years.

Ironically it was the casting and introduction of the character of Pamela Capwell that was the beginning of the end for the show. For some reason the creators had a huge blowout over the actress who was brought in and that led to them being locked out of the studio and the show was taken over by a different producer. The quality suffered and it never recovered.

SANTA BARBARA Was also disturbingly obsessed with rape. Especially rape/murder combos. Two popular actresses left the show and both of their characters were raped and then murdered, As opposed to you know their characters just peacefully moving on.

• Haha 1