Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm sorry but I just NEED to talk about DARK SHADOWS

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Is NIGHT Of DARK SHADOWS airing this month?

Has TCM ever aired NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS in widescreen?

I've only seen the "pan-and-scan" version on the channel.  

On 10/5/2021 at 9:50 PM, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

I don't see it on the October schedule.

But, here it is on the Russian website OK :

https://ok.ru/video/824132438535 (with Russian subtitles)

https://ok.ru/video/2053995498111 (without Russian subtitles)

THANK YOU, I just re-watched it.

NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS is one of those movies that i always remember as not having seen in entirety, only to realize right before the end that I have in fact seen all of it...this has now happened multiple times, so I think that in and of itself speaks more harshly of the film than anything else I could say about it.

Every time I watch the opening credits with the mellow harmonica music as the white convertible slowly drives down long and winding roads, I- without fail- mutter "MANOS: The Hands of Fate" out loud to no one in particular...

I love HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS, but NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS just bored me.

I understand though, that lot of footage was cut out of NIGHT. Had the missing scenes stayed in, it might have made for a better film.

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I love HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS, but NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS just bored me.

I understand though, that lot of footage was cut out of NIGHT. Had the missing scenes stayed in, it might have made for a better film.

below is a link to a loooooong post in re: NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS, ITS MAKING AND THE CUTS  in the DARK SHADOWS EVERYDAY BLOG (I am only 1/2way through) they actually dug up the shooting script and fill the reader in on deleted or unfilmed scenes as they critique the movie, it's pretty interesting:

https://darkshadowseveryday.com/2018/08/30/night-of-dark-shadows/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 10/6/2021 at 1:45 PM, Hibi said:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/367113807122980868/

ROFL! I came across this on the web. Changing into a new costume? :D

You may know this already, but Louis Edmonds used to tell a story that he was getting out of his costume one day when they called him and told him that he was needed to tape a scene right then and there. Apparently he wasn’t wearing pants and ran down to the set and they filmed him in a tight close up so that you couldn’t see he was standing there in his BVDs.

On 10/8/2021 at 1:14 PM, Bethluvsfilms said:

[a] lot of footage was cut out of NIGHT [ OF DARK SHADOWS]. Had the missing scenes stayed in, it might have made for a better film.

The final verdict of the loooooooong article I posted the link to a few posts ago is:

that a full NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS with the restored footage would in all likelihood not be a better film, there would just be more of it.

I like the VIVIAN PICKLESwig GRAYSON wears in NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS...though I question the (one?) flouncy, tropical print house dress/caftan sported throughout the film by THE TREACHEROUS HOUSEKEEPER CARLOTTA.

OH MY, I DID NOT KNOW THE PIC WOULD POST THIS LARGE.

"IT'S NOT NICE TO FOOL

MOTHER NATURE!!!"

See the source image

• Like 2

A funny observation from darkshadowseveryday:

Barnabas:  What are you planning to do?

Angelique:  Don’t you know?

Barnabas:  You’re — you’re going to make me revert to what I was.

Angelique:  Possibly.

That’s pretty much the perfect Dark Shadows response: “Possibly.” In other words, we’re making this up as we go along, and we have no idea what we’re going to do next.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

The final verdict of the loooooooong article I posted the link to a few posts ago is:

that a full NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS with the restored footage would in all likelihood not be a better film, there would just be more of it.

Thank you for your sacrifice (reading the entire epic so others won't have to). I bailed when the script-writing party began (although I did notice that one participant also made a reference to Manos: The Hands of Fate).

Man. I hope that I'm never trapped in an elevator with any of those fanatics.

Yeah, Night of Dark Shadows is a disappointment following on the heels of House of Dark Shadows. After reading Mr. Horn's (the blogger's) history of the production, seems to me NoDS was doomed right from Jump Street. Nonetheless, it's in my movie library, and I regard it with an unabashed fondness. For me, composer Robert Cobert's opening and closing music and the Tarrytown location make Dan Curtis' sequel not merely tolerable but ineffably enjoyable.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

See the source image

To me, Grayson Hall was no beauty -- certainly not sexy. But, that pic you shared, LornaHansonForbes, demonstrates that the "right" clothes, coiffure, photographer, camera angle, and attitude can work miracles. Très étourdissant! Très séduisant! Très . . . sexy!

• Like 3
13 hours ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

1. Thank you for your sacrifice (reading the entire epic so others won't have to). I bailed when the script-writing party began (although I did notice that one participant also made a reference to Manos: The Hands of Fate).

2. Man. I hope that I'm never trapped in an elevator with any of those fanatics.

3. Yeah, Night of Dark Shadows is a disappointment following on the heels of House of Dark Shadows. After reading Mr. Horn's (the blogger's) history of the production, seems to me NoDS was doomed right from Jump Street. Nonetheless, it's in my movie library, and I regard it with an unabashed fondness. For me, composer Robert Cobert's opening and closing music and the Tarrytown location make Dan Curtis' sequel not merely tolerable but ineffably enjoyable.

1. if you get the chance to go back and re-read the entire looong post, I recommend it, don't be daunted by the inserts of the screenplay, they show up sporadically and can actually be skipped if you need to (I am an amateur screenwriter, mercifully unproduced, so I can "speak screenplay" and i know they are not for everybody)

2. I personally am hardly ever in elevators, I live in a good-sized city, but we're mostly four-story buildings at the highest, and i take the stairs for multiple reasons. So, no worries for me.

3. I 110% understand the fondness for NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS....there is nothing quite like the fascination one feels for a not-completely satisfying, yet promisingLY PREMISED AND/OR ATMOSPHERIC  horror movie ESPECIALLY one that has "legendary lost and deleted scenes." I feel the same way about MARK OF THE VAMPIRE and all the HAMMER FILMS and JAWS 3-D

I will also say, again as an extremely amateur and un-produced "screenwriter" myself,  that the snippets of script pages I have read for HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS, NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS and the DAYTIME SHOW are VERY HEAVY on dictating CAMERA MOVEMENT and SHOTS, ie there is as much in the script about whether someone is IN CLOSE UP or MID SHOT or WHERE THE CAMERA IS POINTED, it's like a PAINT BY NUMBERS for the director on how to block and stage and shoot it, and damned if I entirely know why. I personally feel like it's best to leave that stuff to the Director because hopefully they'll know what the Hell they're doing, THE SCRIPT ITSELF should be action and dialogue and occasionally a suggestion on shot length or camera position when the story really demands it.

Grayson looks great with that hairstyle.

If only Julia opted for something less utilitarian and no-fuss and dressed up a little.....went to the Blue Whale for a few drinks... she could a got lucky and met a guy... (or gal.  I don't judge.)

• Haha 2
14 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

Grayson looks great with that hairstyle.

If only Julia opted for something less utilitarian and no-fuss and dressed up a little.....went to the Blue Whale for a few drinks... she could a got lucky and met a guy... (or gal.  I don't judge.)

I actually spent $32.30 on a copy of BARNABAS AND CO. on amazon and it came a day early- on Sunday!- and I have to admit...I am a little disappointed (ALTHOUGH THERE ARE CERTAINLY JEWELS OF INFORMATION SCATTERED ABOUT HERE AND THERE) it kinda deromanticizes some things, and asserts that DON BRISCOE was straight- on the word of LOUIS EDMONDS no less!)

the entry on GRAYSON HALL makes such a point of stripping the reader of the (popular) notion that she was, in reality, a  brittle, VOLATILE, closeted lesbian smokestack that I really wish they'd gone all in and LIBERTY VALANCED the LEGEND.

I don't want to read that GRAYSON HALL baked cookies, was shy, and kept to herself. I want to read that she had an ALTERNATE PERSONALITY NAMED "DIANE" WHO TALKED LIKE HILDEGARD NEFF AND ONE TIME SHE STABBED A HOMELESS GUY LEAVING THE STUDIO AND HAD TO BE KEPT AWAY FROM SCISSORS AT ALL TIMES,...

• Haha 2

My favorite anecdote thus far has been the story from LOUIS EDMONDS that JOEL CROTHERS would come down to his beach house "THE ROOKERY" (on Long Island?) and try to teach everyone BRIDGE because he LOVED THE GAME and he would get "so adorably frustrated that we weren't catching on..."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1