Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm sorry but I just NEED to talk about DARK SHADOWS

Also that DENISE NICKERSON and DAVID HENESY would smoke in JOAN BENNETT'S DRESSING ROOM because "JOAN used MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF JUNGLE GARDENIA PERFUME that masked all odors for six blocks."

DENISE NICKERSON genuinely seems cool as ****, I'm sorry she passed away so young.

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

This is the book that has a section on each cast member,  no?

yes, it's about 500 pages and thoroughly researched, but not super super dishy...

ALTHOUGH OF COURSE THEY GO ALL IN ON ROGER DAVIS.

• Haha 1
46 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

"A SURPRISING NUMBER OF THE DS ACTORS INTERVIEWED OVER THE YEARS FOR THIS BOOK HAVE VOICED THEIR DISLIKE FOR ROGER DAVIS, PROFESSIONALLY, PERSONALLY, OR BOTH."

he did play a human in appearance cylon who crashes a halloween party in an ep of Galactica 1980 and lara parker plays one of the party guests.

:)

lara as a vampire in that ep.

Lara Parker as a Halloween Night Vampire, in an episode of Battlestar  Galactica 1980 (Night the Cylons Landed). | 吸血鬼

Cousin Barnabas on Twitter: "Lara Parker spoke to me a bit about her Battlestar  Galactica appearance back in 2013 ... we also spoke about Kung Fu, The  Incredible Hulk, Kolchak: The Night

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

My favorite anecdote thus far has been the story from LOUIS EDMONDS that JOEL CROTHERS would come down to his beach house "THE ROOKERY" (on Long Island?) and try to teach everyone BRIDGE because he LOVED THE GAME and he would get "so adorably frustrated that we weren't catching on..."

Golly, I'd LOVE for Joel Crothers to have taught me bridge.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, King Rat said:

Golly, I'd LOVE for Joel Crothers to have taught me Bridge.

It's a fascinating game, and one in which you can DEVASTATE YOUR OPPONENTS (my analogy is: imagine a game of chess where you have the potential to checkmate your opponent FOURTEEN TIMES IN A ROW!)

FOR GENERATIONS. enemies were made and relationships forged in fire over the GAME OF BRIDGE up until the advent of cable tv and vhs and video games.

(I know that's not what you mean by this quote, but a couple of years ago I wrote a screenplay in which the game of BRIDGE is a big plot point, so I had to learn it via playing a computer simulation, which is pretty damn amazing!

learn the rules and then visit the site if you want to, it's not an easy game for a computer to simulate, but this does a good job.

https://www.arkadium.com/games/bridge/

• Like 1
On 10/9/2021 at 6:27 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

You may know this already, but Louis Edmonds used to tell a story that he was getting out of his costume one day when they called him and told him that he was needed to tape a scene right then and there. Apparently he wasn’t wearing pants and ran down to the set and they filmed him in a tight close up so that you couldn’t see he was standing there in his BVDs.

LMREO!!!

• Haha 1
On 10/10/2021 at 3:45 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

I like the VIVIAN PICKLESwig GRAYSON wears in NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS...though I question the (one?) flouncy, tropical print house dress/caftan sported throughout the film by THE TREACHEROUS HOUSEKEEPER CARLOTTA.

OH MY, I DID NOT KNOW THE PIC WOULD POST THIS LARGE.

"IT'S NOT NICE TO FOOL

MOTHER NATURE!!!"

See the source image

OMG!!!!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I just found out that John Karlan who was Willie Loomis passed away last year. Didn't know that. He was good in DS but it made me angry that he didn't do Barnabas in when he was in his coffin. I love Barnabas but he didn't treat Willie nice. In House of DS, he threw poor Willie down stairs and beat him.😥

• Like 2
8 hours ago, mabelnormand1930 said:

I just found out that John Karlan who was Willie Loomis passed away last year. Didn't know that. He was good in DS but it made me angry that he didn't do Barnabas in when he was in his coffin. I love Barnabas but he didn't treat Willie nice. In House of DS, he threw poor Willie down stairs and beat him.😥

Yes, Barnabas could be really cruel to poor Willie when Willie was under his power on the show.

But remember Willie was an all-around creep before he released Barnabas. Remember he harassed the women around him, Maggie at the Blue Whale, and Vicki and Carolyn at Collinwood, to no end. 

Once Willie gets bitten, his personality takes on a drastic change, he becomes timid and subdued, and more sympathetic as time goes on.

So in a weird, twisted way, unleashing Barnabas may have been the best thing that happened to Willie.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Hibi said:

So that hair Grayson wore at the beginning of the show was a wig? (before the cut) Or maybe the cut was always there under it?

I read that it was a wig a few years ago. Up until then, I thought that was her natural hair.

• Like 1

Poor Willie.  He definitely became a more sympathetic character in time, considering his early behavior. 

The Dark Shadows Wiki page includes in a description of him: "Someone who bruises easily, clearly."

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I read that it was a wig a few years ago. Up until then, I thought that was her natural hair.

I always wondered if that was her real hair or not. It was a good wig! (wasn't obvious).

1 hour ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Yes, Barnabas could be really cruel to poor Willie when Willie was under his power on the show.

"WILLIE! I need you to kidnap MAGGIE EVANS..."

"WILLIE!! I need you to DRIVE A STAKE through someone!'

"WILLIE! I need you to rob a grave!!!!"

"WILLIE!! I'M ALL OUT OF INVERNESS COATS: DID YOU FORGET THE DRY CLEANING????

Still not as bad as working for DIANA ROSS back in the day though...

• Haha 4

he's not my favorite, but with the exception of THAYER DAVID, JOHN KARLEN was (debateably) the best actor on the show- I don't know that I've seen him flub a line or miss a cue in all the eps I have watched, ALTHOUGH TO BE FAIR, WILLIE is actually absent from a lot of episodes** and KARLEN himself disappears for long spells no matter what character he was playing (my point- it's easy to know your lines when you're not on five days a week with ten pages a day to memorize)

(** i dont know the exact number, but i think WILLIE maybe makes less than 100 appearances out of the 1245 episodes of the series.)

edit: i looked it up on the DARK SHADOWS wiki and WILLIE is in 111 episodes, so I was kinda close.

i've seen him in interviews and he seemed like a gentle maniac, i'm not sure if i would have liked him if I knew him (from reading things, it seemed like he liked to mess around on the set, make faces at people while they were taping etc,)

here he is winning an EMMY for CAGNEY AND LACEY in 1987(?) I think he is the only DS cast member to win an Emmy, please someone correct me if i am wrong.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Hibi said:

So that hair Grayson wore at the beginning of the show was a wig? (before the cut) Or maybe the cut was always there under it?

i posted some home movies waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in this thread that someone filmed GRAYSON getting out of a cab to go into the studio, and her hair, though partially up,  was past her shoulders, which confused me.

it was a convincing wig.

On 10/11/2021 at 10:08 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

I actually spent $32.30 on a copy of BARNABAS AND CO. on amazon and it came a day early- on Sunday!- and I have to admit...I am a little disappointed

It's worth having because of the sheer amount of information, but it was rather sloppily compiled.  The more you read, the more you'll find inconsistencies and quite a few misprints that seem to be a result of the use of MS Word's auto-correct.  One that really stands out in my mind is one of the actors is credited with having played Henry Spofford in a production of GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES, but the character is listed as "Henry Spoofed."  The author who worked on it is a fan and self-styled writer, which explains the lack of professional polish. 

I've often lamented that most of the writing on DS has been produced by the more intense members of DS fandom...and Kathryn Leigh Scott.  I think the show is deserving of a more serious, journalistic presentation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Hibi said:

I always wondered if that was [GRAYSON HALL's] real hair or not. It was a good wig! (wasn't obvious).

I have already posted this video once, I post it again for reference because at the 40 second mark there is a photo of GRAYSON HALL coming either to or from the studio with HER REAL HAIR ( THIS was early in her run on the show, I think she legit cut it into that MIA FARROW/DIESEL DAGGER 'DO later on after she had settled into the part)

i love this video and have watched it many times, the song is so incredibly touching and the photos very thoughtfully placed, if you missed it when i posted it several, several pages back, give it a looksie (although, fair warning, you may get misty near the end):

• Like 2

in re: the video posted above

some other great shots:

18 seconds in, LOUIS EDMONDS is HOT in this photo! (seriously!)

29 seconds in, KATHRYN LEIGH SCOTT showing up after a late night of fighting organized crime with PAM GRIER?

38 seconds in, LARA PARKER, looking LUMINOUS (anyone know what her pink button says?)

48 seconds in, is this JOEL CROTHERS with the pipe?

2 minutes, 50 seconds in- DON BRISCOE looking timeless

2 minutes 56 seconds in, another shot of GRAYSON with her actual hair.

33 minutes ago, PhillyCinephile said:

I've often lamented that most of the writing on DS has been produced by the more intense members of DS fandom...and Kathryn Leigh Scott.  I think the show is deserving of a more serious, journalistic presentation.

i feel like you could do a full fledged film adaptation solely about its making and cultural impact...any film you did would HAVE to start with a montage of kids across America hauling @ss home between 3:30 and 4:00 pm on a Friday afternoon in 1969...

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

i feel like you could do a full fledged film adaptation solely about its making and cultural impact...any film you did would HAVE to start with a montage of kids across America hauling @ss home between 3:30 and 4:00 pm on a Friday afternoon in 1969...

Too often, coverage of DS focuses on the bloopers, with the show being dismissed as cheesy and unintentionally funny.  However, people fail to realize that DS was one of the most creative and ambitious shows ever to appear on TV.  Granted, it was done on a small budget, but the people involved were seriously committed to the show and they pushed the available technology to the limits.  DS went to extremes that no other shows would dare even to approach.  To borrow from THIS IS SPINAL TAP, the creative team behind DS took it to 11.

• Like 5