Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm sorry but I just NEED to talk about DARK SHADOWS

22 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I am truly uncertain why a thread over the meaning of the use of various emoticons on the TCM message boards got banished to Off-Topic Chit-Chat by Page 2, and yet a discussion about a 50-year-old TV show that has absolutely nothing to do with either theatrical movies or TCM itself is permitted to continue to exist by the moderators on General Discussions onPage 41. I mean, more power to you folks who continue to ardently post and have utter faith in the validity of your thread, but I have to take a brief moment to express my confusion. It would be cool if a moderator would pop on and explain why one thread got banished and another didn't, but I assume this will never actually happen.

House of Dark Shadows saved M-G-M from bankruptcy.

:P

14 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I'm embarrassed to see my rambling post keep resurfacing. I think I'd been drinking that night. 

Anyway, didn't know that about MGM, a studio that I feel like was perpetually in trouble ever after Ben-Hur, so thanks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
The most well known version of Josette's Music Box theme was composed by Dark Shadows composer Robert Cobert. The original piece of music was one created by Canadian music composer, Robert Farnon. It was a stock file found in ABC's library.

Dan Curtis disliked having music used that he didn't own, so he asked Cobert to create a new version, the one most well known to Dark Shadows fans. This piece of music was used between late 1967 and late 1970 on the show. It also appeared in the MGM feature film, House of Dark Shadows.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

MY THREAD SHALL NEVER DIE!!! IT WILL LIVE ON FOR ALL ETERNITY!!!! ENTOMB IT!!! CHAIN THE LID, LET IT SLIDE DOWN TO PAGE THREE, But know it is a matter of time before it is freed from the crypt to roam again.

BWAHAHAHA(coughcough) HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! 

...oh we have fun don’t we? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
On 11/19/2021 at 9:00 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

MY THREAD SHALL NEVER DIE!!! IT WILL LIVE ON FOR ALL ETERNITY!!!! ENTOMB IT!!! CHAIN THE LID, LET IT SLIDE DOWN TO PAGE THREE, But know it is a matter of time before it is freed from the crypt to roam again.

BWAHAHAHA(coughcough) HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! 

...oh we have fun don’t we? 

Dark Shadows Before I Die: Dark Shadows Episode 460 - 3/29/68

• Like 1

I’m posting using my phone, apologies for errors

I am kind of surprised that no one has mentioned that TCM recently ran (THE) SUPER COPS (1974) starring RON LEIBMAN and QUENTIN COLLINS himself DAVID SELBY, only two years off DARK SHADOWS. 

I’ve watched most of it, it’s kind of rambling, but it’s watchable and not entirely unfunny although for some reason Ron Liebman is the one who gives the broadest most charismatic performance and Selby is so restrained as to be almost forgettable.

It’s not unamusing as a relic of its kind though.

Also Ron Leibman is kind of like Groucho Marx’s “Buddy Love” if Groucho had done THE NUTTY PROFESSOR 

• Like 1

Decorating for Christmas and could not resist adding a DARK SHADOWS touch.

"Christmas Eve in the great house of Collinwood, where the members of the Collins family make their last-minute preparations for Christmas morning.  Meanwhile, in the Old House, another member of the Collins family makes holiday preparations of his own -- preparations unlike any the Collins family has ever known."

Old House Christmas 5.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

This announcement might be old news in this forum. But, just in case it isn't . . .

Some Dark Shadows alumni appear in a trio of misadventures engaged in by Norbert Jacques' maleficent criminal mastermind Dr. Mabuse:

Doctor Mabuse

Doctor Mabuse: Etiopomar

The Thousand and One Lives of Dr. Mabuse

Somehow these digital productions slipped under my radar -- as did Theatre Fantastique, a cyberspace anthology that also featured several Dark Shadows cast members.

• Thanks 1
On 11/25/2021 at 3:18 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

I am kind of surprised that no one has mentioned that TCM recently ran (THE) SUPER COPS (1974) starring RON LEIBMAN and QUENTIN COLLINS himself DAVID SELBY, only two years off DARK SHADOWS. 

I’ve watched most of it, it’s kind of rambling, but it’s watchable and not entirely unfunny although for some reason Ron Liebman is the one who gives the broadest most charismatic performance and Selby is so restrained as to be almost forgettable.

Also Ron Leibman is kind of like Groucho Marx’s “Buddy Love” if Groucho had done THE NUTTY PROFESSOR 

I missed the beginning of this, but saw most of it. It was great to see David Selby. The movie is very 1970s in its everyone-is-corrupt style, but entertaining enough and, by today's standards, short. About this time Ron Leibman seemed poised for a big career--New York critics were enthusiastic about his theater work--but that didn't happen. David Selby would probably have become a major movie star in the studio era, because he is perfect for historical roles. I mean, Quentin Collins, right? He doesn't fit as well in the grittier 70s. That soft-spoken gentlemanly Southern voice is not in tune with the era.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, King Rat said:

About this time Ron Leibman seemed poised for a big career--New York critics were enthusiastic about his theater work--but that didn't happen.

He did however escape being married to LINDA LAVIN to find such a real and lasting happiness with second wife JESSICA WALTER that it was said her recent surprise passing had a lot to do with his some 18 months earlier (it is said that she missed him terribly.)

• Like 1
6 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

He did however escape being married to LINDA LAVIN to find such a real and lasting happiness with second wife JESSICA WALTER that it was said her recent surprise passing had a lot to do with his some 18 months earlier (it is said that she missed him terribly.)

I recall an interview (perhaps in the NY Times) with Ron Leibman and Linda Lavin when they were seen as a power couple in the theatrical world.

On 11/25/2021 at 6:18 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

I also watched it. Agree it was Leibman's film. David didnt have much to do, just along for the ride for most of it. I hadn't seen it before but remember it vaguely. One of those urban cop films of the 70s that were plentiful after the success of The French Connection. It was ok. Thankfully it didnt drag on for another half hr. Just the right length.

• Like 1
On 11/27/2021 at 5:08 PM, PhillyCinephile said:

Decorating for Christmas and could not resist adding a DARK SHADOWS touch.

"Christmas Eve in the great house of Collinwood, where the members of the Collins family make their last-minute preparations for Christmas morning.  Meanwhile, in the Old House, another member of the Collins family makes holiday preparations of his own -- preparations unlike any the Collins family has ever known."

Old House Christmas 5.jpg

LOL. He skips Christmas but he's big on Christmas Eve!

• Thanks 1
16 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

a few weeks ago I was watching an ep of Alice and the ep was about sex education in school and one of the mothers for it was played by Lara Parker.

:D

Lara Parker | cinematically insane

Wow. Didn't know this. LOL.