Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm sorry but I just NEED to talk about DARK SHADOWS

20 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

a few weeks ago I was watching an ep of Alice and the ep was about sex education in school and one of the mothers for it was played by Lara Parker.

:D

Lara Parker | cinematically insane

I remember being stunned when I saw this.  Given her prominence on DS, and my heightened awareness of her due to my being a big DS fan, it seemed odd to see her in a small role on a sitcom rather than as a "special guest star" on a dramatic series.  But, I guess that's the reality of acting.  You take what you can get at any given moment, and a huge cult following doesn't necessarily translate into starring roles.  But it's fun seeing her in this role.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I WAS LITERALLY THINKING OF IT THIS MORNING!!!!!!!

Having complained recently about unfunny comics, I must say I thought this was absolutely hilarious and deliciously wicked. Loved the guys' hairstyles, too.

• Like 1

This topic must not drop to a lower page even if I have to talk about the gay subtext of The Unsuspected to do it. And Michael North looks like Anthony George, who was actually on Dark Shadows for a little while, so this is not even off topic.

Much.

Victor Grandison (Claude Rains) is described as "the last of the bachelors." Bachelor as in confirmed bachelor, you know. Rains, though IRL given to marrying younger women--six of them, though not at the same time--knows how to play this kind of character. As for Hurd Hatfield, need I say more? After Althea (Audrey Totter) marries Oliver (Hatfield) to spite Matilda (Joan Caulfield)--and this is actually the best reason any woman could have for marrying him, because he has no money--Oliver starts drinking, possibly because Althea wants him to, you know, have sex with her. That isn't actually in the movie, which is why we pointy-headed intellectuals refer to it as "subtext."

Meanwhile Althea gives parties for the kind of people who make comments that may actually be as witty as they are mean-spirited. She also makes sarcastic remarks about Oliver's drinking, though amazingly this fails to increase his sobriety, and throws herself at Michael North, probably mistaking him for Anthony George in elevator shoes or perhaps merely the nearest available male.

Constance Bennett, delightful as Victor's assistant Jane, complains about not being able to find a husband, but if all she does is hang around with Victor, Oliver, and Althea's friends, she's about as likely to find husband material as you would going to a 1970s disco where all the guys are talking about Barbra and Bette.

Did I mention how much I've always liked Anthony George?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, King Rat said:

This topic must not drop to a lower page even if I have to talk about the gay subtext of The Unsuspected to do it. And Michael North looks like Anthony George, who was actually on Dark Shadows for a little while, so this is not even off topic. Victor Grandison (Claude Rains) is described as "the last of the bachelors." Bachelor as in confirmed bachelor, you know.

One of my FAVORITE old movie terms for “lifelong bachelor” is “confirmed woman-hater,” Which I know is used in LOVER COME BACK (and I seem to recall hearing it in a few other pictures.)

I don’t know if you can string any other three words together to get a term more fraught with subtext and sociological meanings.

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, King Rat said:

This topic must not drop to a lower page even if I have to talk about the gay subtext of The Unsuspected to do it. And Michael North looks like Anthony George, who was actually on Dark Shadows for a little while, so this is not even off topic.

Much.

Victor Grandison (Claude Rains) is described as "the last of the bachelors." Bachelor as in confirmed bachelor, you know. Rains, though IRL given to marrying younger women--six of them, though not at the same time--knows how to play this kind of character. As for Hurd Hatfield, need I say more? After Althea (Audrey Totter) marries Oliver (Hatfield) to spite Matilda (Joan Caulfield)--and this is actually the best reason any woman could have for marrying him, because he has no money--Oliver starts drinking, possibly because Althea wants him to, you know, have sex with her. That isn't actually in the movie, which is why we pointy-headed intellectuals refer to it as "subtext."

Meanwhile Althea gives parties for the kind of people who make comments that may actually be as witty as they are mean-spirited. She also makes sarcastic remarks about Oliver's drinking, though amazingly this fails to increase his sobriety, and throws herself at Michael North, probably mistaking him for Anthony George in elevator shoes or perhaps merely the nearest available male.

Constance Bennett, delightful as Victor's assistant Jane, complains about not being able to find a husband, but if all she does is hang around with Victor, Oliver, and Althea's friends, she's about as likely to find husband material as you would going to a 1970s disco where all the guys are talking about Barbra and Bette.

Did I mention how much I've always liked Anthony George?

I hadn't really thought of this while watching the film, but yes, it is there (subtext, of course).

I'm watching Decades which just aired the episode introducing Angelique and Countess duPres.

The writing is remarkably sharp and snappy.  I actually guffawed a couple of times, especially this exchange: Grayson's delivery was pure gold.

Joshua: I trust your journey was an easy one, Madame?
Natalie: No trip through a wasteland can be easy, Sir.
Joshua: Well, I'm sure your stay in New York was pleasant.
Natalie: Oh! An impossible city, without a decent inn or respectable restaurant. And completely filled with the most unattractive people! All in all a place which makes one glad to be elsewhere.
Joshua: I enjoy New York when I go there Madame. Of course I only go there on business. I do not take trips for pleasure.
Natalie: That is just as well. In your country you would get none.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Dut dut duh! Here comes the thread again. If you missed We're No Angels, I hope it will be on the TCM app, because I enjoyed this movie and will post more about it later today on I Just Watched and probably Christmas Marathon as well. Joan Bennett has a good supporting role. She looks very thin, by the way. The fancy green dress she wears is quite lovely. Her scenes with Humphrey Bogart are nice, with just the right hint of a certain attraction on her part.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/11/2021 at 6:41 PM, Roy Cronin said:
I'm watching Decades which just aired the episode introducing Angelique and Countess duPres.

The writing is remarkably sharp and snappy.  I actually guffawed a couple of times, especially this exchange: Grayson's delivery was pure gold.

Joshua: I trust your journey was an easy one, Madame?
Natalie: No trip through a wasteland can be easy, Sir.
Joshua: Well, I'm sure your stay in New York was pleasant.
Natalie: Oh! An impossible city, without a decent inn or respectable restaurant. And completely filled with the most unattractive people! All in all a place which makes one glad to be elsewhere.
Joshua: I enjoy New York when I go there Madame. Of course I only go there on business. I do not take trips for pleasure.
Natalie: That is just as well. In your country you would get none.

I love this exchange between them. Natalie is so hilarious snobbish, and Joshua is aghast at having to put up with it (but he does have to play the proper host since he was paying for the wedding).

Beth, thanks for booping this thread back to the first page. Since devil possession has been a recent theme on Days of Our Lives, which I watch only occasionally, I was delighted to learn that 1) the devil has left Marlena--or was scared out by Jackee, I missed this--and has instead possessed Marlena's grandson Johnny who 2) because the devil made him do it, dumped his new sweet black wife, Chanel, who 3) was consoled in bed by her girlfriend (in both senses) Alli who 4) felt guilty and wanted to confess to her boyfriend Trip. It ain't yer grandma's soap opera!

• Like 1

I'm sorry but Angelique did too much damage to Barnabas and the Collins family for me to buy his sudden declaration of love for her. I can maybe buy him finally forgiving her, but realizing he loved her all along.....no. 

She was responsible for the death of his little sister and mother in 1795, not to mention the demise of his real true love Josette.

For him to declare that Angelique was 'the only woman he truly loved' is a slap in the face to the family members who died because of her curse.