• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm sorry but I just NEED to talk about DARK SHADOWS

LornaHansonForbes

Just now, NipkowDisc said:

the beautiful vampiress Angelique.

:)

Shadows on the Wall: An Online Dark Shadows Fanzine: Happy Birthday, Lara  Parker!

did I mention that Lara Parker first auditioned for the role of Victoria Winters? now there would have been a governess who would have kept her young charges in line.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/21/2022 at 7:35 AM, TikiSoo said:

I find DS rather stage-y looking, like watching a play that's been filmed.

Like a play that was filmed badly... I love it when you see crew moving behind the action, or the boom floating above an actor's head, or the scenery moving, or JONATHAN FRID forgetting his lines...

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

Like a play that was filmed badly... I love it when you see crew moving behind the action, or the boom floating above an actor's head, or the scenery moving, or JONATHAN FRID forgetting his lines...

or a foam gravestone wobbling...jonathan was a slow-study and had difficulty memorizing his lines but for five years he endured and this constant battle could not diminish his shakespearean talent in imbuing Barnabas Collins with tragedy, pathos and heroism.

cursed with an inhuman existence the man never gave up. DS is a monument to the acting greatness of Jonathan Frid.

Jonathan Frid and Lara Parker | Dark shadows tv show, Shadow, Tv series

Lara Parker: Jonathan Frid Remembered

Shadows on the Wall: An Online Dark Shadows Fanzine: 2012: Lara Parker and Jonathan  Frid

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

To be fair, Jonathan himself acknowledged how nervous he was in doing the show, but that only added to the depth he infused into the character of Barnabas.

I love the show's bloopers myself, I always considered it part of its charm, it was like live theater being shot on tape.

• Thanks 1

On 4/11/2022 at 9:39 PM, Bethluvsfilms said:

I love the show's bloopers myself, I always considered it part of its charm, it was like live theater being shot on tape.

Some fans hate any mention of the bloopers, but for me, they add another level on which to enjoy the series.  I find myself completely pulled into the fictional world of DS, while also appreciating the trials and tribulations of the cast and crew as they attempt to create a new half-hour episode five days per week.  For example, when poor Chris Pennock cannot rehang the painting that hides his wall safe, I simultaneously experience his character's frenzy in that scene and the actor's panic.  Rather than taking me out of the drama, the blooper intensifies it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/11/2022 at 9:39 PM, Bethluvsfilms said:

To be fair, Jonathan himself acknowledged how nervous he was in doing the show, but that only added to the depth he infused into the character of Barnabas.

He was also doing a lot of promos for the show and making appearances. Couple that with remembering a script daily and well...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

As some Dark Shadows fans know, Days of Our Lives has received a re-visit from the devil the last few months. The devil, now possessing Marlena's bisexual granddaughter Ali, has stolen the newborn baby of Ben (serial killer turned romantic hero) and Ciera (brunette dumb enough to marry a hunky ex-serial killer turned romantic hero). Are they doing a knockoff of Rosemary's Baby? Why, sure. So today there was this priceless line of dialogue:

Ben (to Ciera): "You've just given birth! You can't go chasing after the devil!"

Ben vows to do some devil-chasing himself, though he gives off the vibe that he might interrupt the chase if he could enter an underwear model competition.

If you've been wondering whatever has happened to Jackee Harry, and you may not have, she is on Days where she has gained a bunch of weight, is wearing a long wig, and overacting.

On 5/9/2022 at 5:35 PM, King Rat said:

As some Dark Shadows fans know, Days of Our Lives has received a re-visit from the devil the last few months. The devil, now possessing Marlena's bisexual granddaughter Ali, has stolen the newborn baby of Ben (serial killer turned romantic hero) and Ciera (brunette dumb enough to marry a hunky ex-serial killer turned romantic hero). Are they doing a knockoff of Rosemary's Baby? Why, sure. So today there was this priceless line of dialogue:

Ben (to Ciera): "You've just given birth! You can't go chasing after the devil!"

Ben vows to do some devil-chasing himself, though he gives off the vibe that he might interrupt the chase if he could enter an underwear model competition.

If you've been wondering whatever has happened to Jackee Harry, and you may not have, she is on Days where she has gained a bunch of weight, is wearing a long wig, and overacting.

This stupid devil story has been going on for 8-9 mos now. Hoping it FINALLY ends! It was fun with Marlena but then it kept hopping into various people and got old real fast. Yeah, Jackie Harry is FF material on this show (for me at least) Cant stand her or her character.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Amazing thread. I have much to say about DS as I'm currently on episode 1087.  (I started from the beginning in March 2020 when the world became television critics and screen addicts.) I've never liked the idea of binge-watching, so I permit myself one delectable episode a night in the vein of LOUIS EDMONDS pouring himself a brandy in the drawing room. 

Has there been a more miscast character than Brian Sturdivant as CLAUDE NORTH? When he first appeared I told my friend: "No way that guy lasts more than 3 episodes. He makes SKYE RUMSON compelling!"

My favorite blooper, among hundreds, is when DAVID FORD, donning period costume as Andre DuPres, turns 90 degrees to look at his lines. (EP 393, time stamp 4:40). That David Ford didn't last in the series is one of the great "what ifs" of DS. Long live SAM EVANS! 

As per my handle and avatar, you can guess that MITCHELL RYAN (1934-2022) as Burke represents my favorite period of Dark Shadows. I liked that the series was semi-normal and human back then, even though they were able to sprinkle in some supernatural elements. That balance was best, imo. The introduction of Barnabas was very effective, but I've always thought the series kind of devolved with the Adam storyline. I relished how relatable the first 300 episodes were with such duplicitous villains like JASON MCGUIRE and BUZZ! 

Anyway, I craved some old-school masculinity and integrity in the show, and Burke and Joe Haskell were about the only ones who delivered, but even the latter was something of a pretty boy. A random weekend night at the Blue Whale with any number of classic ROBERT COBERT tunes playing on the juke is TV BLISS!  

My vote for creepiest character? JAMES HALL as Willie Loomis. It's good John replaced him because he was too unsympathetic and made my skin crawl. 

Haven't read the entire thread, but I'm getting there, so apologies if I'm repeating others. 

8 hours ago, Best Burke said:

Amazing thread. I have much to say about DS as I'm currently on episode 1087.  (I started from the beginning in March 2020 when the world became television critics and screen addicts.) I've never liked the idea of binge-watching, so I permit myself one delectable episode a night in the vein of LOUIS EDMONDS pouring himself a brandy in the drawing room. 

Has there been a more miscast character than Brian Sturdivant as CLAUDE NORTH? When he first appeared I told my friend: "No way that guy lasts more than 3 episodes. He makes SKYE RUMSON compelling!"

My favorite blooper, among hundreds, is when DAVID FORD, donning period costume as Andre DuPres, turns 90 degrees to look at his lines. (EP 393, time stamp 4:40). That David Ford didn't last in the series is one of the great "what ifs" of DS. Long live SAM EVANS! 

As per my handle and avatar, you can guess that MITCHELL RYAN (1934-2022) as Burke represents my favorite period of Dark Shadows. I liked that the series was semi-normal and human back then, even though they were able to sprinkle in some supernatural elements. That balance was best, imo. The introduction of Barnabas was very effective, but I've always thought the series kind of devolved with the Adam storyline. I relished how relatable the first 300 episodes were with such duplicitous villains like JASON MCGUIRE and BUZZ! 

Anyway, I craved some old-school masculinity and integrity in the show, and Burke and Joe Haskell were about the only ones who delivered, but even the latter was something of a pretty boy. A random weekend night at the Blue Whale with any number of classic ROBERT COBERT tunes playing on the juke is TV BLISS!  

My vote for creepiest character? JAMES HALL as Willie Loomis. It's good John replaced him because he was too unsympathetic and made my skin crawl. 

Haven't read the entire thread, but I'm getting there, so apologies if I'm repeating others. 

We're doing  disk night about 3hrs, lol.  The first 200 or so episodes in B&W have  Gothic  Film Noir-ish  feel. Always surprised at how much on location establishing stuff there was too.

Right now up to just after Aristied kills King Johnny Romano, Charles Delaware Tate's painting of Quentin turns into the werewolf instead of him and Barnabas was trying to use the I Ching wands to get back to 1967. lol

1 hour ago, cigarjoe said:

We're doing  disk night about 3hrs, lol.  The first 200 or so episodes in B&W have  Gothic  Film Noir-ish  feel. Always surprised at how much on location establishing stuff there was too.

Right now up to just after Aristied kills King Johnny Romano, Charles Delaware Tate's painting of Quentin turns into the werewolf instead of him and Barnabas was trying to use the I Ching wands to get back to 1967. lol

That was a good era, Joe.

10 hours ago, Best Burke said:

That is an ultimate insult! Good one.

On 6/28/2022 at 10:13 PM, cigarjoe said:

More of Lara Parker than usual.

s9LTe2X.jpg

I always thought that Lara Parker was an absolutely beautiful actress with a beguiling beauty.

I doan think that's from save the tiger so it must be race with the devil. an interesting tidbit about race with the devil. also in that movie was Christine Belford who I think looks a bit like Kate Mulgrew anyway Christine Belford once lived in the amityville horror house. I wonder if she ever mentioned that to lara.

s9LTe2X.jpg

11 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

an interesting profile angle to lara's face. doan know if anyone will agree but she kinda looks like Elizabeth Montgomery.

:)

s9LTe2X.jpg

Ok,  I see the comparison.   (but only somewhat).

Elizabeth Montgomery — 25 Years Since She's Been Gone | by Herbie J Pilato  | Herbie J's House | Medium

• Like 1

here is sadness and tragedy. finally Barnabas confesses aloud the words this poor lovesick witch longed to hear him say to her but alas she dies and does not hear them finally his heart breaks for this woman who could never surrender the love she held steadfastly in her heart for him. that love became the center of herself...

Episode 1198: Goodbye to All That | Dark Shadows Every Day

On 7/1/2022 at 9:47 AM, Best Burke said:

I am so with you on this. I love Mitch Ryan as Burke as I am of the opinion that he was dripping with masculinity and wish there had been so much more interaction between him and Barnabas.  I can't stand Anthony George in the role and often refer to him as the faux Burke. 

I can't understand what happened with David Ford, why he didn't do a better job as Sam. Why he got into the habit of reading the teleprompter instead of remembering his lines, I do not know.  

I do love all the scenes at the blue Whale and the music, which I have downloaded so many moons ago. It's groovy. 

James Hall was scary, wasn't he? And just what does he mean when he calls Maggie a "speedball"? I never got that. John Karlen would have been so much better in those very early episodes when Willie comes into the story. (I spoke to John Karlen one day on the phone when he was making those radio type serials with some of the other cast members and I told him how much he still sounded like Willie. He said, "My dear, I AM Willie Loomis!" He could be hammy at times, but he did it on purpose.) 

Glad to hear you're enjoying the show. I ought to dust off some of my DVDs and watch an episode or two.  It's been a while.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

condemned to an eternity of bloodlust and loneliness by a jealousy-driven lovesick witch she herself afflicted with a want unfulfilled.

this is timeless tragedy.

the saga of Barnabas Collins and Angelique Bouchard.

Spirit Halloween on Twitter: "Tag your favorite person to celebrate  #Halloween with! https://t.co/2qYT9HO7dj" / Twitter