Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bagged another Jessie Matthews flick.

slaytonf

Thanks to Robert Young day.   It's Love Again (1936) may not be her best, but Jessie Matthews is always a delight to watch.  A bubbly screen personality, melodious voice, and dancing chops combine to make a mesmerizing presence.  One of the few movie stars in my constellation that can make any movie worth watching, and this is one of them.  One note.  Her dancing suffered something from the British choreographers she worked with.  They were, let us say, a measure deficient in the snap and polish you get in Hollywood.  It would be nice to see what she could have done with Hermes Pan.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, slaytonf said:

Thanks to Robert Young day.   It's Love Again (1936) may not be her best, but Jessie Matthews is always a delight to watch.  A bubbly screen personality, melodious voice, and dancing chops combine to make a mesmerizing presence.  One of the few movie stars in my constellation that can make any movie worth watching, and this is one of them.  

l did not know who she was until last night i recorded it because it was rare showing.  what a surprise!  A great dancer and tap dancer!  A beautiful woman .A quite alluring costume for 1936!  I read she was strongly considered for the A Damsel in Distress film they selected the non-dancing Joan Fontaine studio politics for sure she would have been terrific with Astaire 

• Like 2

I have been trying to find all Jesse Matthews' films since first discovering her a couple decades ago. TCM has shown the more popular favorites:

• FIRST A GIRL '45
  • SAILING ALONG '36
  • EVERGREEN '34

I picked up IT'S LOVE AGAIN '36 and CLIMBING HIGH '38 at a film festival dealer's room. They are from the "British Archive Collection" and were only $10 each. 

Matthews made tons of films apparently, but they are like hen's teeth in the US. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Swithin said:

There are some clips of The Good Companions (1933) on YouTube. Film also featured a very young John Gielgud as well as Jessie and Max Miller, Edmund Gwenn, George Zucco, Dennis Hoey.

That's one of my favorites of hers.