Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Any affection out there for Colin Clive?

I'd really like to see the new,  CRITERION version of HISTORY IS MADE AT NIGHT, as well as the 1930 Version of JOURNEY'S END.  Two other very fine films are ONE MORE RIVER, which  was based on the last entry of THE FORSYTE SAGA.  (This one  was also directed by James Whale, ( who knew his Star well, and also knew how to  get questionable   content  past the Hays Office.)  It also had the nerve to shine the light on Spousal Rape, as  well as England's antiquated Divorce Laws..... (Essentially, a woman couldn't get a Divorce,  unless the husband was willing to allow it....even if she had been battered and Raped.)  The other Film was THE RIGHT TO LIVE, made by Warner Brothers.  This  one was  was the exact opposite, with a gentle  young man with a  broken back.  He knows , (in spite of his Doctor's hopeful stories) that he  will NOT Recover, and doesn't want his wife tied down to "half a man".    He sends for his brother to come and visit, and take her to all the  places he would have.  Mix up a Healthy Younger Brother-in-law, A  forlorn and jealous nurse, a Wise Mother,  and Sir C. Aubrey Smith, and you have a real GEM!

• Like 2

Always enjoyed Colin Clive in anything he was in.

Aside from his brilliant turn as Henry Frankenstein in FRANKENSTEIN and BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN, he's also quite memorable in MAD LOVE opposite Peter Lorre.

It's a shame he died so young. What a career he could have had.

Oh, yeah, I'd watch anything he's in. Over the top, a bit hammy by today's standards... Maybe even by 1930's standards as well. I wonder what type of parts he'd have been playing had he lived into his 60's or 70's.

Would have been fun to see he and Henry Daniell playing brothers!

• Like 1

I finished reading "The Life and Death of Colin Clive" a few months ago. It was a very interesting bio that I'd strongly recommend to anyone who has any interest in Colin Clive. He was a tortured soul. His life was unhappy and he was a hopeless alcoholic.  But he was brilliant in his roles as Captain Stanhope in "Journey's End" and as  Dr. Frankenstein. 

• Like 2