Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So what was on last night at 3AM instead of "The Chase"?

LsDoorMat

I woke up sometime in that time frame and there was a movie on TCM with some kind of swingin' 60s party going on. I never saw Redford, but he could have been in it. But it sure did not seem like it could possibly be "Most everyone in town thinks that Sheriff Calder is merely a puppet of rich oil-man Val Rogers. When it is learned that local baddie Bubber Reeves has escaped prison, Rogers' son is concerned because he is having an affair with Reeves' wife. It seems many others in town feel they may have reasons to fear Reeves. Calder's aim is to bring Reeves in alive, unharmed. Calder will have to oppose the powerful Rogers on one hand and mob violence on the other, in his quest for justice." - Storyline of "The Chase" (1966). 

I watched The Chase on VHS maybe 25 years ago and remember virtually zero about it, but there may have been a party scene in it. That sounds vaguely right. And it was a '60s movie. It had quite an impressive cast including Marlon Brando, Jane Fonda and Robert Duvall. Did you see any of those actors? Seems odd if TCM would just throw in a non-Redford movie during his SUTS day, but who knows?

I just watched it last week, and EG Marshall's character (Val Rogers) holds a big birthday party for himself.  One of his employees (Robert Duvall) crashes the party to tell Val that Val's son (James Fox) is having an affair with Bubber's wife (Jane Fonda).

If memory serves, there are also scenes of the twentysomethings partying to the sort of anodyne music that film composers of the day thought twentysomethings danced to.

• Like 1

Good score by John Barry.

Good beat up scene. Richard Bradford, Steve Ihnat and Clifton James beat Marlon Brando to a pulp.

I really like Jocelyn Brando. Here she plays the wife of elderly Henry Hull, walking around with him, arm in arm. He talks a lot, she hardly says anything.

While he was filming this, Marlon quipped "all I do is walk around". And it's true - he walks around a lot for the first 40 minutes of the film.

This movie is loaded - a magnificent cast.

Pretty entertaining overall. Over-the-top to be sure, and with one of the most downbeat endings imaginable, but very watchable with a cast like that.

16 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

OK,  from your descriptions this could have been "The Chase".  From the synopsis I was expecting a Western and what I tuned into looked like some party in Manhattan. Thanks for responding. 

Redford is Bubber Reeves and his mother is played by Miriam Hopkins.   There are others 30s actors in the film such as Bruce Cabot and   Eduardo Ciannelli.     Martha Hyer is also in the film.

21 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Redford is Bubber Reeves and his mother is played by Miriam Hopkins.   There are others 30s actors in the film such as Bruce Cabot and   Eduardo Ciannelli.     Martha Hyer is also in the film.

I love the way Redford looks at Hopkins at the end of the movie - as she's crying at him - like she's an alien or something.

6 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I'll never understand why TCM devotes a day to certain actors and then schedules films that said actor/actress only have a minor role in, even just a cameo role. 

I mean why not feature the movies that best display them in their leading status?

If you're referring to Redford in The Chase, you're way off base. His role is not minor and certainly not a cameo. His is the central figure of the movie and he has probably as many scenes as star Brando. Fonda also has a similar presence.

The Chase is a staple item here at TCM - like Stagecoach, another ensemble piece that gets shown on John Wayne days.

4 minutes ago, 37kitties said:

If you're referring to Redford in The Chase, you're way off base. His role is not minor and certainly not a cameo. His is the central figure of the movie and he has probably as many scenes as star Brando. Fonda also has a similar presence.

The Chase is a staple item here at TCM - like Stagecoach, another ensemble piece that gets shown on John Wayne days.

I wasn't talking about THE CHASE, but over the years I have noticed that TCM has put on ensemble movies on a day with a certain actor or actress devoted to them  where they have anything from only 5 to 20 minutes that they appeared in..

42 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I'll never understand why TCM devotes a day to certain actors and then schedules films that said actor/actress only have a minor role in, even just a cameo role. 

I mean why not feature the movies that best display them in their leading status?

TCM tends to show films they already have leasing rights to.     Also,   what should be shown at 3:00 AM?    I.e.  if TCM showed one of the films that best displayed that actor at that hour,   people would complain about that to no end.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

TCM tends to show films they already have leasing rights to.     Also,   what should be shown at 3:00 AM?    I.e.  if TCM showed one of the films that best displayed that actor at that hour,   people would complain about that to no end.

You have a point, I never thought about the leasing rights. 

But suppose they decided to say make a day of Jack Nicholson and decided to put on BROADCAST NEWS, a movie where his part was little more than a cameo? I don't mind TCM showing a movie where an actor has a supporting role in it rather than being the leading man or leading lady, but what's the point in showing a movie where the part is little more than a walk on and off in 5 minutes or less?

10 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

You have a point, I never thought about the leasing rights. 

But suppose they decided to say make a day of Jack Nicholson and decided to put on BROADCAST NEWS, a movie where his part was little more than a cameo? I don't mind TCM showing a movie where an actor has a supporting role in it rather than being the leading man or leading lady, but what's the point in showing a movie where the part is little more than a walk on and off in 5 minutes or less?

I can imagine that TCM's explanation might be that they are trying to show the course of an actor’s career - perhaps the actor started out in minor roles before moving up to major parts and eventually became a big star.  So in addition to the well-known films we get to see a glimpse of the actor early in their careers, as an intentional decision by the programmers.  Some people do enjoy seeing the cameo roles "before they were famous."

But as James points out, the economics of securing the rights for 12+ films for a given actor, plus the time-of-day broadcasting considerations must also be factors in deciding what gets shown and when.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 37kitties said:

Ditto to this, but didn't they also air A Bridge too Far, in which, based on everything I've read, his performance is little more than a glorified cameo? And devote three of his 24 hours to this movie?

1 hour ago, sewhite2000 said:

Ditto to this, but didn't they also air A Bridge too Far, in which, based on everything I've read, his performance is little more than a glorified cameo? And devote three of his 24 hours to this movie?

Yes! That's true! Good catch.

• Thanks 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings