Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lucille Ball as SOTM October 2021


Recommended Posts

I have to admit there are quite a few of her films I haven't seen, so this will be a good opportunity for me, I hope. She had the same kind of no-nonsense level headedness as Ann Sheridan, so it's kind of ironic that she's probably best remembered as the scatterbrained Lucy Ricardo. But she put the power she gained from that to good use; Robert Osborne credited her as his earliest champion when she "adopted" him for her group of acting trainees.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hasn't she already been SOTM? AGAIN? Another podcast tie in. Don't like this trend. LILLLIAN GISH, MARION DAVIES, JOAN BENNETT have never been SOTMs. But Lucy twice. Ok.........Who made a better contribution to films? It wasn't Lucy.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Hasn't she already been SOTM? AGAIN? Another podcast tie in. Don't like this trend. LILLLIAN GISH, MARION DAVIES, JOAN BENNETT have never been SOTMs. But Lucy twice. Ok.........Who made a better contribution to films? It wasn't Lucy.

It's the third time for Lucy.

From the Frequency of Honorees thread:

FOUR TIMES

listed alphabetically

Doris Day: 1995, 2003, 2012, 2021
Greta Garbo: 1994, 2002, 2005, 2019

THREE TIMES

listed alphabetically

Lucille Ball: 1998, 2006, 2021
Joan Crawford: 1998, 2002, 2014
Bette Davis: 1999, 2006, 2019
Olivia De Havilland: 1998, 2003, 2016

Glenn Ford: 1994, 2001, 2019
Clark Gable: 1995, 2004, 2017

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DougieB said:

I have to admit there are quite a few of her films I haven't seen, so this will be a good opportunity for me, I hope. She had the same kind of no-nonsense level headedness as Ann Sheridan, so it's kind of ironic that she's probably best remembered as the scatterbrained Lucy Ricardo. But she put the power she gained from that to good use; Robert Osborne credited her as his earliest champion when she "adopted" him for her group of acting trainees.

All of the films she made from 1935 to 1937 at RKO were bit parts or minor supporting roles, though she still resonates well in some of those appearances (especially BUNKER BEAN where she plays a secretary). 

Her "breakthrough role" occurred when she was teamed with Jack Oakie for THE AFFAIRS OF ANNABEL (1938).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • TopBilled changed the title to Lucille Ball as SOTM October 2021
2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

It's the third time for Lucy.

From the Frequency of Honorees thread:

FOUR TIMES

listed alphabetically

Doris Day: 1995, 2003, 2012, 2021
Greta Garbo: 1994, 2002, 2005, 2019

THREE TIMES

listed alphabetically

Lucille Ball: 1998, 2006, 2021
Joan Crawford: 1998, 2002, 2014
Bette Davis: 1999, 2006, 2019
Olivia De Havilland: 1998, 2003, 2016

Glenn Ford: 1994, 2001, 2019
Clark Gable: 1995, 2004, 2017

That's really RIDICULOUS then!

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Hibi said:

That's really RIDICULOUS then!

Well to be fair, it's been 15 years since Lucy was last honored as Star of the Month on TCM.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Lucille Ball is a good choice from a marketing POV since she is well known for her T.V. shows by people that may not be into studio-era films (or not too familiar with them).

E.g.  how many are out there that might not even know that Ball was a fine actress and not just a comedian that created one of the most popular sit-coms of all time.

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

But not in films. 3 times is ridiculous compared to those they've never even honored. (and can easily obtain their films like Gish and Davies!). But nothing beats the SOTM for Dorothy Dandridge.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Lucille Ball is a good choice from a marketing POV since she is well known for her T.V. shows by people that may not be into studio-era films (or not too familiar with them).

E.g.  how many are out there that might not even know that Ball was a fine actress and not just a comedian that created one of the most popular sit-coms of all time.

 

I am glad that Lucille Ball is being honored again.

I do think that some people are fans of I Love Lucy and fans of Lucy Ricardo more than they are actually fans of Lucille Ball the actress or Lucille Ball the human being. But that's another topic!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hibi said:

But not in films. 3 times is ridiculous compared to those they've never even honored. (and can easily obtain their films like Gish and Davies!). But nothing beats the SOTM for Dorothy Dandridge.

I am sure Dorothy Dandridge fans appreciated her tribute.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Lucille Ball was good in the movies (except after she became known for I Love Lucy).  I wish TCM had some of her classic episodes - mirror image with Harp Marx is a classic.  Her movie version of Mame was a big klunker (in my opinion).  I liked I Love Lucy until they moved to the suburbs.

Listen, even without tributes, Lauren Bacall once told Robert Osbourne that they run too many Elvis films.  I notice that the two George Segal films I watched in TCM on Demand are no longer available, while other films have been there for a long time.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Hibi said:

But not in films. 3 times is ridiculous compared to those they've never even honored. (and can easily obtain their films like Gish and Davies!). But nothing beats the SOTM for Dorothy Dandridge.

I'm not following what you're saying here;    E.g. "but not in films"?    Are you saying Ball wasn't in many good films?   Didn't give good film performances?

The comment about Dorothy Dandridge:    are you saying she didn't deserve to be SOTM?   

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm  a  fan  of  Lucille Ball ,  she  is  a  multi  talented  star  (  act,  sing and  dance)  I  like  her  work  with  Henry  Fonda  and  Bob  Hope.  Lucille  turned  out  to be  an  great  television  executive ,  she  helped  to found  Desilu  Studios.  Desilu  Studios  produced  shows  like  The  Untouchables,  Mannix  and  Mission  Impossible.  All   Star  Trek  fans owe  a  great  deal  to  Lucille  Ball,  as  she  approved   the  concept  for  the  show  . Star  Trek  the  Original  Series  was  filmed  at  Desilu   Studios.  Lucille Ball  was  an  iconic  figure  in  the  world  of   television.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm excited about Lucy being SOTM.  Her first star of the month was in 1998, I was in 8th-9th grade.  My parents didn't subscribe to a cable package that carried TCM at that time.  During Lucy's second go-around in 2006, I was in college and also didn't have a cable package with TCM. Finally, I can watch a Lucille Ball SOTM on TCM.  I hate this idea that someone can't be SOTM because they were already SOTM 20 years ago.  Eventually TCM would run out of people to honor.  Who is going to attract more new viewers? SOTM Lucille Ball or SOTM Bess Flowers ? 

I don't mind TCM tying their programming to their upcoming podcast.  I listen to a lot of podcasts while driving to and from work.  Both of the recent TCM podcasts (Peter Bogdanovich and "Bonfire of the Vanities") were excellent.  They were well-researched, well-written, and well-produced.  I am looking forward to their Lucille Ball podcast.  I am also excited about TCM mixing up their October SOTM with someone other than a horror movie person.  Horror movies are one my least favorite genres, so I'm excited to see the October schedule a little more balanced with some other programming other than the usual horror suspects. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I am glad that Lucille Ball is being honored again.

I do think that some people are fans of I Love Lucy and fans of Lucy Ricardo more than they are actually fans of Lucille Ball the actress or Lucille Ball the human being. But that's another topic!

I'm not .Lucille Ball was a B list actress. You could count the A list films she did on one hand.. She does NOT deserve a third go round as SOTM. It's only because of her tv show they are doing this. Enough with Lucy!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cinemaman said:

I'm  a  fan  of  Lucille Ball ,  she  is  a  multi  talented  star  (  act,  sing and  dance)  I  like  her  work  with  Henry  Fonda  and  Bob  Hope.  Lucille  turned  out  to be  an  great  television  executive ,  she  helped  to found  Desilu  Studios.  Desilu  Studios  produced  shows  like  The  Untouchables,  Mannix  and  Mission  Impossible.  All   Star  Trek  fans owe  a  great  deal  to  Lucille  Ball,  as  she  approved   the  concept  for  the  show  . Star  Trek  the  Original  Series  was  filmed  at  Desilu   Studios.  Lucille Ball  was  an  iconic  figure  in  the  world  of   television.

TELEVISON YES. MOVIES NO.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I am sure Dorothy Dandridge fans appreciated her tribute.

All hundred of them.  How many noteworthy films was she in? 3?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Screen Shot 2021-09-09 at 6.04.05 PM

I see we have some strong feelings about Lucille Ball, which is rather interesting.

Though my guess is that poster Hibi might be more tolerant of this selection if some of his favorites (like Joan Bennett) had already been chosen.

As for Lucy being a B-list actress, well the B-films came during an early phase of her career at RKO. When she moved over to MGM she became an A-list actress. She reverted back to lower budget fare when she signed with Columbia later, but she was approaching 40 at that point and by 1950, most actresses her generation were finding the pickings slim on the big screen, which is why they transitioned to television. 

Re: Lucy's television legacy, that is indisputable. But we should mention that if it wasn't for her success in motion pictures during the late 30s and 40s, she never would have headlined her own radio sitcom (My Favorite Husband) and that would not have led to the high-profile projects that followed on the small screen (I Love Lucy, The Lucy Show, Here's Lucy and Life with Lucy, as well as countless TV specials over the years).

I don't think TCM is selecting Lucy as Star of the Month to honor her television work, or else they would be running episodes of her various series. They are highlighting her motion picture legacy, but tying it into her well-known work on TV. There's nothing wrong with that. They will probably do the same for Angela Lansbury when Murder She Wrote hits a milestone anniversary.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Hibi said:

All hundred of them.  How many noteworthy films was she in? 3?

Sorry. I can't let it pass. You seriously think Dorothy Dandridge has only a hundred fans? I think you're letting your passion for the Bennett sisters, whom you frequently introduce into discussions about a new Star of the Month nominee, carry you away. I agree with you about their worthiness, but give me a break. I'd been looking forward to seeing a couple of those Dandridge movies for over 25 years, and I doubt I was alone. You can be a Bennett champion, and you're a good one, without knocking an actress who would have loved to be in enough movies to fulfill your minimum requirement, but wasn't allowed to because of her race, pure and simple.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Lucille  Ball  has received  some  high  honors  such  as  The  Kennedy  Center , won an Emmy  and  Golden  Globe. The  Nielsen  Ratings  and  the people  loved her television shows.  Nicole  Kidman  is  going  to do  an  biopic  on  Lucille  Ball .  Here is  a  list  of  stars  who  worked  with  Lucille Ball.  Fred  Astaire  Ginger Rogers  Randolph Scott  Betty  Grable  Eve  Arden  Katharine  Hepburn  Adolph Menjou   James  Mason  Henry  Fonda  Bob  Hope  Marilyn  Maxwell  William  Holden  George  Sanders  Charles Coburn  Spencer  Tracy

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, cinemaman said:

Lucille  Ball  has received  some  high  honors  such  as  The  Kennedy  Center , won an Emmy  and  Golden  Globe. The  Nielsen  Ratings  and  the people  loved her television shows.  Nicole  Kidman  is  going  to do  an  biopic  on  Lucille  Ball .  Here is  a  list  of  stars  who  worked  with  Lucille Ball.  Fred  Astaire  Ginger Rogers  Randolph Scott  Betty  Grable  Eve  Arden  Katharine  Hepburn  Adolph Menjou   James  Mason  Henry  Fonda  Bob  Hope  Marilyn  Maxwell  William  Holden  George  Sanders  Charles Coburn  Spencer  Tracy

I'd forgotten about her being recognized by the Kennedy Center. She earned several Emmys. Two of them were for her work on The Lucy Show

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2021 at 6:47 PM, DougieB said:

Sorry. I can't let it pass. You seriously think Dorothy Dandridge has only a hundred fans? I think you're letting your passion for the Bennett sisters, whom you frequently introduce into discussions about a new Star of the Month nominee, carry you away. I agree with you about their worthiness, but give me a break. I'd been looking forward to seeing a couple of those Dandridge movies for over 25 years, and I doubt I was alone. You can be a Bennett champion, and you're a good one, without knocking an actress who would have loved to be in enough movies to fulfill your minimum requirement, but wasn't allowed to because of her race, pure and simple.

Because she was a victim of racism (who wasn't back then?) doesn't mean she qualifies for SOTM status. She only made a handful of  films.  Just a couple of those were A films. They showed how many films? 12? They had to scrape the bottom of the barrel and show some Jungle Princess serial she was in. I'm all for showing her films. A SUTS day would be appropriate. But she doesn't qualify for SOTM status for what films she MIGHT have appeared in! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2021 at 7:57 PM, cinemaman said:

Lucille  Ball  has received  some  high  honors  such  as  The  Kennedy  Center , won an Emmy  and  Golden  Globe. The  Nielsen  Ratings  and  the people  loved her television shows.  Nicole  Kidman  is  going  to do  an  biopic  on  Lucille  Ball .  Here is  a  list  of  stars  who  worked  with  Lucille Ball.  Fred  Astaire  Ginger Rogers  Randolph Scott  Betty  Grable  Eve  Arden  Katharine  Hepburn  Adolph Menjou   James  Mason  Henry  Fonda  Bob  Hope  Marilyn  Maxwell  William  Holden  George  Sanders  Charles Coburn  Spencer  Tracy

Just because she's popular doesn't means she qualifies for THREE SOTM tributes! Not when so many other WORTHY actors and actresses are still waiting for one reason or another. Her film career wasn't that great. Mostly programmers and B films.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2021 at 9:44 AM, TopBilled said:

I see we have some strong feelings about Lucille Ball, which is rather interesting.

Though my guess is that poster Hibi might be more tolerant of this selection if some of his favorites (like Joan Bennett) had already been chosen.

As for Lucy being a B-list actress, well the B-films came during an early phase of her career at RKO. When she moved over to MGM she became an A-list actress. She reverted back to lower budget fare when she signed with Columbia later, but she was approaching 40 at that point and by 1950, most actresses her generation were finding the pickings slim on the big screen, which is why they transitioned to television. 

Re: Lucy's television legacy, that is indisputable. But we should mention that if it wasn't for her success in motion pictures during the late 30s and 40s, she never would have headlined her own radio sitcom (My Favorite Husband) and that would not have led to the high-profile projects that followed on the small screen (I Love Lucy, The Lucy Show, Here's Lucy and Life with Lucy, as well as countless TV specials over the years).

I don't think TCM is selecting Lucy as Star of the Month to honor her television work, or else they would be running episodes of her various series. They are highlighting her motion picture legacy, but tying it into her well-known work on TV. There's nothing wrong with that. They will probably do the same for Angela Lansbury when Murder She Wrote hits a milestone anniversary.

What's wrong with that is they have done it 3 times. (SOTM) I have no problem with her films being shown. But 3 SOTMs are excessive. Her film career doesn't warrant that. It gives the impression that Lucy was a big film star. She just wasn't. She had a good run and even appeared in A films, but TCM is providing a spotlight that just wasn't there during her film career. TCM should be providing a spotlight on other stars who have yet to appear on SOTMs, which they rarely do. Lucy was a HUGE television star and is still very popular with the public. No denying that.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...