Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lucille Ball as SOTM October 2021

9 hours ago, Hibi said:

Because she was a victim of racism (who wasn't back then?) doesn't mean she qualifies for SOTM status. She only made a handful of  films.  Just a couple of those were A films. They showed how many films? 12? They had to scrape the bottom of the barrel and show some Jungle Princess serial she was in. I'm all for showing her films. A SUTS day would be appropriate. But she doesn't qualify for SOTM status for what films she MIGHT have appeared in! 

A SUTS day of Dorothy Dandridge would have satisfied me too. Then they might have gone the extra mile to secure Porgy and Bess to help fill the 24 hours. What I objected to was your graceless and, even more unlike you, humorless dismissal of her popularity. I stand behind the idea that your personal obsession has turned you into a bit of a mean girl on the particular subject of Star of the Month. As soon as I saw it was Lucille Ball, my first thought was that Hibi's not going to like this. And then right on cue....

Please, TCM gods, give the woman what she wants and honor Joan Bennett. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, DougieB said:

A SUTS day of Dorothy Dandridge would have satisfied me too. Then they might have gone the extra mile to secure Porgy and Bess to help fill the 24 hours.

Porgy and Bess is owned by the Gershwin Estate,they do not like the film and they will not re-released it,it seems there is no complete copy around.I do not think Hibi is racist in any way,The Dandridge tribute last year was strange and looked like a rush job,They should have put it in SUTS in August last year.There was simply not enough material,James Dean was a very good actor but he does not even  have enough movies to do  a SUTS. I think the Dandridge  tribute was not well planned imo. I watched several and there was nothing exceptionnal in there,well not for a Star of The Month tribute.

Whoa.  Cool.  This will be great.  You know.  I think about a week ago or whenever it was.  I actually just posted that I thought Lucille Ball should actually be SOTM sometime.  In honor of the upcoming third season of The Plot Thickens Podcast coming this fall and that it won’t be next month and I thought that maybe they could have a primetime lineup of her films one night and I wasn’t sure if that was going to happen next month either.  I thought it might.  But it looks and sounds like my thought came true and I’m guessing they’re having her as SOTM in honor of the third season of The Plot Thickens Podcast right?  So I’ll see if I could catch her in October and I’m so excited about the third season of The Plot Thickens Podcast and her being SOTM too.  How about you TopBilled and everybody?

3 minutes ago, David Guercio said:

Whoa.  Cool.  This will be great.  You know.  I think about a week ago or whenever it was.  I actually just posted that I thought Lucille Ball should actually be SOTM sometime.  

Nice to see you got your wish. :) 

12 hours ago, nakano said:

Porgy and Bess is owned by the Gershwin Estate,they do not like the film and they will not re-released it,it seems there is no complete copy around.I do not think Hibi is racist in any way,The Dandridge tribute last year was strange and looked like a rush job,They should have put it in SUTS in August last year.There was simply not enough material,James Dean was a very good actor but he does not even  have enough movies to do  a SUTS. I think the Dandridge  tribute was not well planned imo. I watched several and there was nothing exceptionnal in there,well not for a Star of The Month tribute.

Oh, for God's sake, nobody's calling Hibi a racist. If Hibi thinks that, then I'll take it seriously. And I myself said I'd be happy with SUTS. I know about the Gershwin estate, but I've seen Porgy and Bess on television; a local Boston TV movie host negotiated a showing in the 1980's, so I would hope TCM could do the same if they had sufficient will. I don't know which films you saw, but I agree there was some so-so stuff among the gems. (Carmen Jones, Bright Road; even Island in the Sun was respectable.) OK, I'm now officially done with Dorothy Dandridge if everyone else is. I didn't bring her up in the first place. It's a Lucille Ball thread after all and there seem to be a number of fans here.

16 hours ago, DougieB said:

A SUTS day of Dorothy Dandridge would have satisfied me too. Then they might have gone the extra mile to secure Porgy and Bess to help fill the 24 hours. What I objected to was your graceless and, even more unlike you, humorless dismissal of her popularity. I stand behind the idea that your personal obsession has turned you into a bit of a mean girl on the particular subject of Star of the Month. As soon as I saw it was Lucille Ball, my first thought was that Hibi's not going to like this. And then right on cue....

Please, TCM gods, give the woman what she wants and honor Joan Bennett. 

I was being sarcastic. (I thought that was obvious) I'm sure she has more than a hundred fans. But her lack of film output doesn't qualify her for SOTM, over say, Lillian Gish???? I'm sure TCM was using this as a "teaching" moment, but I resented it greatly. A SUTS day would have been more appropriate or a night of her best films (which I think they've done already). It's not just JOAN BENNETT, it's all the other worthy stars who are STILL waiting for SOTM status that TCM ignores. And, YES, it does p- me off when they honor someone like Lucy (whom I don't dislike) 3 Times for this. But she's just on example. TCM will do what it wants to do, but that doesn't mean  I HAVE TO LIKE IT!

• Thanks 1
34 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I was being sarcastic. (I thought that was obvious) I'm sure she has more than a hundred fans. But her lack of film output doesn't qualify her for SOTM, over say, Lillian Gish???? I'm sure TCM was using this as a "teaching" moment, but I resented it greatly. A SUTS day would have been more appropriate or a night of her best films (which I think they've done already). It's not just JOAN BENNETT, it's all the other worthy stars who are STILL waiting for SOTM status that TCM ignores. And, YES, it does p- me off when they honor someone like Lucy (whom I don't dislike) 3 Times for this. But she's just on example. TCM will do what it wants to do, but that doesn't mean  I HAVE TO LIKE IT!

Fight the good fight. I can handle it if you stay p***ed off. You're right that TCM was using it as a teaching moment.  Her lack of a filmography was part of the point, but after that point was made it didn't leave them with a lot to show. Donald Bogle was good, but we want to see movies, not lectures, so I get what you're saying. I know it was your frustration talking but I just felt it was directed inappropriately in that case. I'm not a Lucille Ball expert so I'm personally curious to see what they come up with, but I know your core complaint is about fairness and I can support you on that.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, DougieB said:

but I know your core complaint is about fairness and I can support you on that.

But as you know such programming as SUTS or SOTM are promotional and marketing and "fairness" isn't a concept here.

Therefore the best way to get Joan Bennett to be promoted by TCM would be to tie her to a more recent cultural event;  E.g.  Dark Shadows. TCM should have done that when the Depp remake was released.    

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

But as you know such programming as SUTS or SOTM are promotional and marketing and "fairness" isn't a concept here.

Therefore the best way to get Joan Bennett to be promoted by TCM would be to tie her to a more recent cultural event;  E.g.  Dark Shadows. TCM should have done that when the Depp remake was released.    

I agree that marketing a star to a recent event is advantageous. But it is not always necessary.

When they chose Ann Sothern for Star of the Month a few years ago (her second time) they did not connect that with any recent pop culture event. Similarly, choosing Dick Powell was not related to anything newsworthy.

Now in the early days of TCM (mid 90s to early 2000s) I do think a lot of the Star of the Month choices were meant to promote the release of films just put out on DVD through the Warner Archives. But most everything's gone to streaming so I don't think that is very much part of their consideration now.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I agree that marketing a star to a recent event is advantageous. But it is not always necessary.

When they chose Ann Sothern for Star of the Month a few years ago (her second time) they did not connect that with any recent pop culture event. Similarly, choosing Dick Powell was not related to anything newsworthy.

Now in the early days of TCM (mid 90s to early 2000s) I do think a lot of the Star of the Month choices were meant to promote the release of films just put out on DVD through the Warner Archives. But most everything's gone to streaming now so I don't think that is very much part of their consideration now.

Good points;  I assume there are many criteria TCM programmers use to determine who will be the next SOTM.      My overall point was a review of past SOTM and then ranking those that have never been SOTM in order to determine who "deserves" to be SOTM is just one of these many criteria.   

Somewhat related to this:  The Economist last-page obituary:   I always check this out to get a view of what the editors feel was the person they decided to cover as a way to get a pulse on the relevance of the deaths that took place, worldwide,   the previous week.

This week it was Jane Withers.     I'm aware of her passing mainly due to this website but I admit I was very surprised The Economist featured her.     The article mentions her as the more realistic young girl compared to Temple:  I.e.  it plays up her tomboy persona in a positive way.   Anyhow,  my point is  about;  how the people that make these decisions arrive upon them and I find this interesting and I wish I knew more about that.

• Like 2

Well Lucille Ball's movie career does not warrant a third Star of the Month while so many do not even get one ! If i follow the logic of selecting Lucille Ball  for a 3rd time  .Bela Lugosi should have been selected in october a few times in the past  It  would make sense,His career even with many low budget movies was more important than Lucille Ball's movie career but he has never been selected.But of course we will be hammered by the next  podcast(I love Lucy ?) like we are right now by Bonfire of the Vanities ,The Plot is obvious.TCM was better 5 years ago,it is downhill and i do not like the current situation at the channel.

• Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, nakano said:

Well Lucille Ball's movie career does not warrant a third Star of the Month while so many do not even get one ! If i follow the logic of selecting Lucille Ball  for a 3rd time  .Bela Lugosi should have been selected in october a few times in the past  It  would make sense,His career even with many low budget movies was more important than Lucille Ball's movie career but he has never been selected.But of course we will be hammered by the next  podcast(I love Lucy ?) like we are right now by Bonfire of the Vanities ,The Plot is obvious.TCM was better 5 years ago,it is downhill and i do not like the current situation at the channel.

Again,   it all depends on how one "measures" the term "warrant";     if SOTM is mostly about TCM marketing and PR (i.e.  bringing in new fans to the network), than the primary measure of "warrant" is how many new fans come on board.     It clearly isn't to appease existing fans like us (especially the diehard ones at this forum);  E.g.  how many of us members here are going to stop watching TCM because of who they did or did not select for SOTM?

10 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Again,   it all depends on how one "measures" the term "warrant";     if SOTM is mostly about TCM marketing and PR (i.e.  bringing in new fans to the network), than the primary measure of "warrant" is how many new fans come on board.     It clearly isn't to appease existing fans like us (especially the diehard ones at this forum);  E.g.  how many of us members here are going to stop watching TCM because of who they did or did not select for SOTM?

It can't all be about trying to get new viewers, because new viewers might be fickle. Also there probably are people who stop watching TCM after many years (for a variety of reasons). TCM can't be all things to all people but it can try to make as many people happy as possible.

I don't think repeat honorees should be that much of a problem. If this was 1999 and TCM was only five years on the air and already repeating a Star of the Month selection, then that would be too soon. But at this point, they're approaching their 30th anniversary (in 2024) and there are bound to be themes and tributes that get repeated. After all, they broadcast continuously, 24-7 and have done so since TCM's inception.

Another note...I find it amusing when someone says Joan Bennett hasn't been Star of the Month and is still waiting. Where is she waiting for this, in the afterlife?! Okay, yes, I know it's her fans that are still waiting. :) 

Just now, David Guercio said:

Yep.  I’ll see if I could catch her this October and I assume season 3 of The Plot Thickens Podcast actually starts this October too.  Right?

Yes, it should.

I'm very much looking forward to TCM's Lucille Ball podcast.  Their previous podcasts, Peter Bogdanovich and Bonfire of the Vanities, were both excellent and well produced.

It's not a TCM podcast, but currently, there is a new podcast about Joan Bennett and her husband, Walter Wanger.  It is produced by Vanity Fair and the host/creator of the excellent "You Must Remember This" Classic Hollywood podcast.  The podcast is titled "Love is a Crime," and is a collaboration between Longworth and Bennett's granddaughter, Vanessa Hope.  Some of the story includes re-enactments of moments between Bennett and Wanger, which I admit that I could do without, but overall it is well-presented and interesting.  The podcast has a "noirish" vibe that I find very interesting and fun to listen to. 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, nakano said:

I'm wondering now if SOTMs are going to be tied in to podcasts. I DON'T like this trend........

4 hours ago, Hibi said:

I'm wondering now if SOTMs are going to be tied in to podcasts. I DON'T like this trend........

Maybe it's best to create a separate thread about podcasts and programming. Where that topic can be explored more in-depth. As you know this is really a thread about Lucille Ball. Thanks.

:) 

8 hours ago, Hibi said:

I wouldn't think so.  TCM's podcasts involve research and interviews.  It seems like the time between the 1st season (Peter Bogdonavich) and the 2nd (Bonfire of the Vanities) was about a year.  I haven't heard anything announced beyond season 3 (Lucy) so I suspect it'll be some time before the next installment of their podcast will pop up.   

Have you listened to any episodes of The Plot Thickens?  The 1st season with Ben Mankiewicz interviewing Bogdonavich was quite good and covers a lot of ground.  The Bonfire of the Vanities season wasn't nearly as interesting.  It seemed like they were stretching some pretty thin material over several episodes.  I'm not much of a Lucy fan but her long career should provide more interesting material.

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

As you know this is really a thread about Lucille Ball. Thanks.

:) 

I was reading that Nicole Kidman and Javier Bardem are filming "Being the Ricardos."   Is there some Lucy anniversary coming up or is it just a coincidence that TCM is also having a Lucy tribute in October?  Not sure when the movie is coming out but the casting seems ... interesting.

6 minutes ago, Peebs said:

I wouldn't think so.  TCM's podcasts involve research and interviews.  It seems like the time between the 1st season (Peter Bogdonavich) and the 2nd (Bonfire of the Vanities) was about a year.  I haven't heard anything announced beyond season 3 (Lucy) so I suspect it'll be some time before the next installment of their podcast will pop up.   

Have you listened to any episodes of The Plot Thickens?  The 1st season with Ben Markiewicz interviewing Bogdonavich was quite good and covers a lot of ground.  The Bonfire of the Vanities season wasn't nearly as interesting.  It seemed like they were stretching some pretty thin material over several episodes.  I'm not much of a Lucy fan but her long career should provide more interesting material.

That's good news at least! No, I havent listened to any of them. I figured Bogdonovich  would be just talking about himself (his favorite subject) I know enough about him already. Huge ego. I saw the wrap arounds for Bonfire, that was enough for me. Not that interested in the backstory.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Peebs said:

I was reading that Nicole Kidman and Javier Bardem are filming "Being the Ricardos."   Is there some Lucy anniversary coming up or is it just a coincidence that TCM is also having a Lucy tribute in October?  Not sure when the movie is coming out but the casting seems ... interesting.

Media blitz! LOL.

5 minutes ago, Peebs said:

I was reading that Nicole Kidman and Javier Bardem are filming "Being the Ricardos."   Is there some Lucy anniversary coming up or is it just a coincidence that TCM is also having a Lucy tribute in October?  

Someone on another thread pointed out the fact that October marks the 70th anniversary of the premiere of I Love Lucy. A show that has never been out of the public eye.

• Thanks 1
On 8/25/2021 at 2:00 PM, Hibi said:

Yeah, but 70 isn't as noteworthy as 50 or 75.

Well maybe they're planning to do something for the 75th anniversary too.

Lucy is popular. It's smart to use her image and likeness for marketing purposes. It helps to retain viewership and interest in the TCM brand.