Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lucille Ball as SOTM October 2021

5 hours ago, David Guercio said:

Oh ok.  I thought it was this year.  Since people are already talking about it or maybe it’s a different anniversary this year.

In October of this year, it will be the 70th anniversary of the premiere of I Love Lucy.

1 hour ago, David Guercio said:

Oh the 70th.  Ok.  Do you have any favorite episodes TopBilled?

A few. Thanks for asking. I like the one where they see William Holden in Hollywood. I also like the one where they have moved to Connecticut and Lucy is raising chickens and plans to sell eggs. 

I actually prefer Here's Lucy her third sitcom (1968-1974) because it features her real-life kids and I think the interactions are a lot more genuine.

How about you?

The Candy one is a great one and a really popular one and the one where Little Ricky’s about to be born and they rehearse what to do.  So that when it’s time to take Lucy to the hospital.  They know what to do and when it’s time.  They almost forget her and there were all kinds of really great episodes and when they moved?  Wasn’t that when the next show took place and Here’s Lucy or was it The Lucy Show that came after I Love Lucy or which one?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, David Guercio said:

The Candy one is a great one and a really popular one and the one where Little Ricky’s about to be born and they rehearse what to do.  So that when it’s time to take Lucy to the hospital.  They know what to do and when it’s time.  They almost forget her and there were all kinds of really great episodes and when they moved?  Wasn’t that when the next show took place and Here’s Lucy or was it The Lucy Show that came after I Love Lucy or which one?

Yes, The Lucy Show (1962-1968) took place in Connecticut during the first few seasons, but then the setting switched to Los Angeles with her moving west. Here's Lucy (1968-1974) took place in a suburb of Los Angeles, a place like Pasadena, where she was raising her teenaged kids and working for her brother-in-law, played by Gale Gordon.

• Like 1

I  liked  the  episodes   of   Here's   Lucy   season  two  Lucy  and   Ann-Margret  and  season  three   Lucy  Meets  The  Burtons  (  Richard  Burton  and  Elizabeth  Taylor). It  was  always  a  treat  to  see  Carol  Burnett  and  Lucille  Ball  together  (  they  were  great).  Thanks

• Like 2

Lucille Ball's first film is a film in which she has such a small role that it's hard to tell it's her.  She plays the uncredited role of "Blonde" in The Bowery (1933), a snappy, jolly New York City gay nineties film directed by Raoul Walsh, which can never, ever, be shown on TCM. It's on YouTube though, and just one look at the very first frame of the film will show you one of several reasons why it can't be shown.

On 9/1/2021 at 8:01 PM, mr6666 said:

This post confirms what I posted when Ball was announced as SOTM:  She is more well known as a celebrity than other film actors of her generation,  who have a more solid film legacy.   

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

This post confirms what I posted when Ball was announced as SOTM:  She is more well known as a celebrity than other film actors of her generation,  who have a more solid film legacy.   

Technically, the series is called Star of the Month not Film Star of the Month. Ball was a film star to some degree, but of course was more well known as a TV star.

34 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Technically, the series is called Star of the Month not Film Star of the Month. Ball was a film star to some degree, but of course was more well known as a TV star.

True,  which is why I used the term celebrity instead of film star or actor.      Such TCM "events" as SOTM are PR\marketing events and the viewing public's knowledge,  appreciation  and general "love" of the celebrity impacts how marketable they are.      Another factor is what celebrities are still alive that can assist in the promotion.   

E.g.    Carol Burnett is still fairly well known and she is a big fan of Ball.      Burnett's show is on retro T.V.  (E.g.  ME-TV,  right before Perry Mason so I sometimes watch it).   Burnett does funny ads promoting ME-TV shows where she pretends (as she is today)  to talk to T.V.  characters - E.g.  Sheriff Taylor,   Hogan of Hogan's Heroes,  etc...    (via  clips from their ME-TV show of course).      

I could see a great ad  for TCM were Carol "talks to" Lucy saying something like "hey,   do you know you're being featured as Star of the Month",   and Lucy responds (via a clip from one of her T.V. shows).

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

I listened to the first episode of The Plot Thickens season 3.  It's about the life and career of Lucille Ball.   It was a vast improvement over last season which was about the making of Bonfire of the Vanities.  Personally, I didn't think there was enough material to warrant a whole season based on Bonfire.  

Ben Mankowitz returns as the narrator and he seems to be a real  Lucy fan.  I read that because of Covid, TCM didn't feel it was an option to do an in-depth interview as they did with Peter Bogdonavich.   Apparently there is enough archival material and interviews that they felt they could do a 10 part podcast on Lucy.  In the taped interviews, you can hear her voice getting progressively deeper and craggier from years of heavy smoking.

I'm not a Lucy fan so I wasn't sure if I'd want to tune in this season.  I enjoyed the first episode which covered her colorful and sometimes tragic childhood.  Mankowitz does a nice job as narrator.  TCM should stick with this formula, using the podcast to do an extensive interview or examination of a person's career.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am looking forward to watching The Big Street (1942) again, as it is one of my favorites! Henry Fonda is so charming in that picture. I was hoping TCM would play Lured (1947) as well, but thus far I am not seeing it in the schedule. :(Oh well.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, _Broadway_ said:

I am looking forward to watching The Big Street (1942) again, as it is one of my favorites! Henry Fonda is so charming in that picture. I was hoping TCM would play Lured (1947) as well, but thus far I am not seeing it in the schedule. :(Oh well.

For some reason LURED isn't showing on the October schedule but it will air on November 29th.

10 minutes ago, _Broadway_ said:

Oh, that's great news! Thanks for letting me know!

Lured (1947) is a good film and being from United Artist I'm glad TCM is showing it even if it is a month after Lucy's SOTM month.    The film was made in Hollywood but it gives off the vibe as being made in Britain.    Casting Boris Karloff is kind of misleading;  he is more humorous than scary.     I like the chemistry between Sanders and Lucy.

Lured

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, _Broadway_ said:

Oh, that's great news! Thanks for letting me know!

You're welcome. I believe LURED is airing at 12:15 a.m. on November 29th.

So if you are not a night owl, you'll have to set the DVR.

• Like 1