Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is this movie some kind of bizarre joke??


hamradio
 Share

Recommended Posts

I haven' seen this movie. I have no desire to try. But digging around imdb - It has a low rating of 5.5 which usually indicates a very mediocre film. Everybody says it concentrates on beautiful cinematography and forgets to have any character development. And some people seem to object to the diverse cast. Mainly people say it is boring or bland. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is there any actor, ever, who hasn't been in one version or another of THE SECRET GARDEN? I mean, it's hardly Shakespeare. Why is this story continually made over and over and over and over......

I think there is some unwritten rule that for an actor to have any sort of a resume they must be in THE SECRET GARDEN....and....FIDDLER ON THE ROOF. 

 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, MrMagoo said:

Is there any actor, ever, who hasn't been in one version or another of THE SECRET GARDEN? I mean, it's hardly Shakespeare. Why is this story continually made over and over and over and over......

I think there is some unwritten rule that for an actor to have any sort of a resume they must be in THE SECRET GARDEN....and....FIDDLER ON THE ROOF. 

 

You can add LES MISERABLES on that list as well.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

You can add LES MISERABLES on that list as well.

To be sure, however I might say there are certain works  that are timeless and deserve to be made over and over again. Any Shakespeare piece. Death of a Salesman, a lot of Dickens, Les Mis resonates every time. Even Fiddler....but THE SECRET GARDEN  is not PETER PAN or THE THREE MUSKATEERS. I agree that this thing can be put to bed any time. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is it wrong I only know two versions at best?  😳

Secret Garden isn’t one of those default “women’s” titles that get unpteenth remakes whenever they don’t feel empowered enough, like he recent gold rushes for Little Women, Pride & Prejudice, and Emily Dickinson bios we’ve had in the past few years.  Apart from the good 90’s version, and the ancient 70’s version that used to play on old-school Nickelodeon, I don’t know of that many versions of Secret Garden, alhough I still confuse the story with A Little Princess.

Although “”The 90’s version was better, I have no idea what THIS is”, is pretty much what you can say about Little Women and P&P, too.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I don't have the energy to watch an entirely new 89-minute version of The Secrenet Garden. Could you save me the time and elaborate on why you hate it so much? 

Do I have to elaborate, that thing is a combination of a bad remake of "The Golden Compass" with some kind of Charles Dickens worst nightmare. :blink::wacko:

That's a nightmare one has after being in an accident suffering from a traumatic brain injury.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

Is it wrong I only know two versions at best?  😳

Secret Garden isn’t one of those default “women’s” titles that get unpteenth remakes whenever they don’t feel empowered enough, like he recent gold rushes for Little Women, Pride & Prejudice, and Emily Dickinson bios we’ve had in the past few years.  Apart from the good 90’s version, and the ancient 70’s version that used to play on old-school Nickelodeon, I don’t know of that many versions of Secret Garden, alhough I still confuse the story with A Little Princess.

Although “”The 90’s version was better, I have no idea what THIS is”, is pretty much what you can say about Little Women and P&P, too.

That about sums it up, this is a THING. 

 

"The Secret Garden" and "A Little Princess" are 2 differnet novels written by the same author.  Guess the confusion is both  best remakes are done within a few years of each other during the 1990's.

I have both on Laserdisc.

I've watched the 1949 version of "The Secret Garden" some time back when TCM presented it but found it a bit bland.  Movie is a screamfest though (if you get my meaning :lol:)

Geeze if I live in that house be crazy as an outhouse rat. 

screaming.png

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LsDoorMat said:

some people seem to object to the diverse cast

I vaguely remember seeing a trailer for a version of The Secret Garden in the last year or two that had a black actor playing the boy who introduces the main character to the garden. Unsure if this is it. I quick-sped through the YouTube clip and didn't see any such actor. My immdediate thought was racial reimagining of the cast was the source of hamradio's hate. It's a trend in recent remakes, and it has gerated many posts of rage on these boards before. For example, there was a redo of the Mary Queen of Scots story with Saiorise (oh, man, I don't know how to spell it) Ronan and Margot Robbie that peopled the entire supporting cast with historically impossible multiethnic performers. Most people who posted on here hated, hated, hated this casting. I posted a link to the article that quoted the director on why this was done, and people hated that too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I vaguely remember seeing a trailer for a version of The Secret Garden in the last year or two that had a black actor playing the boy who introduces the main character to the garden. Unsure if this is it. I quick-sped through the YouTube clip and didn't see any such actor. My immdediate thought was racial reimagining of the cast was the source of hamradio's hate. It's a trend in recent remakes, and it has gerated many posts of rage on these boards before. For example, there was a redo of the Mary Queen of Scots story with Saiorise (oh, man, I don't know how to spell it) Ronan and Margot Robbie that peopled the entire supporting cast with historically impossible multiethnic performers. Most people who posted on here hated, hated, hated this casting. I posted a link to the article that quoted the director on why this was done, and people hated that too. 

I don't know anything about the actual ethnic makeup of the cast of Secret Garden. I was just reading imdb reviews and seeing what objections came up, and that one surfaced quite a few times. 

The Mary Queen of Scots remake from 2018? The problem there was, like you said, a historically impossible multiethnic cast. A black counselor for Mary? An Asian noble woman in the English court? Wherever would they come from? Mary's secretary gay? I doubt a Catholic queen was so "with it" she would just consider Rizzio, portrayed as openly gay, just one of her gang of ladies in waiting. Especially when homosexuality was a crime punishable by death at the time. I'm just surprised there wasn't a Hispanic in the cast. I'm sure that they wanted to include one, but the new world had hardly been explored at all by the 1560s so, nope, not even these producers would go that far. 

It does seem sometimes that "Orange Man Bad" syndrome did make the entertainment world go mad during the Trump administration. I wonder if anybody will study this syndrome in the future. 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I vaguely remember seeing a trailer for a version of The Secret Garden in the last year or two that had a black actor playing the boy who introduces the main character to the garden. Unsure if this is it. I quick-sped through the YouTube clip and didn't see any such actor. My immdediate thought was racial reimagining of the cast was the source of hamradio's hate. It's a trend in recent remakes, and it has gerated many posts of rage on these boards before. For example, there was a redo of the Mary Queen of Scots story with Saiorise (oh, man, I don't know how to spell it) Ronan and Margot Robbie that peopled the entire supporting cast with historically impossible multiethnic performers. Most people who posted on here hated, hated, hated this casting. I posted a link to the article that quoted the director on why this was done, and people hated that too. 

It's constant PC of remaking movies just because a minority didn't appear in the story / other films.  The best example is "Annie" (2014) which is beyond ridiculous - no wonder it FLOPPED!

Do they look black to you???

fcfdd3e14af6989b1be8456c0af2.jpeg

 

(Maybe Warbuck's suit)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hamradio said:

It's constant PC of remaking movies just because a minority didn't appear in the story / other films.  The best example is "Annie" (2014) which is beyond ridiculous - no wonder it FLOPPED!

Do they look black to you???

fcfdd3e14af6989b1be8456c0af2.jpeg

 

(Maybe Warbuck's suit)

The failure of Annie was definitely also due in part to North Korea hacking Sony and releasing the film on torrent sites. I remember that was all over the news at the time.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think this asinine 2020 adaptation qualifies to be mentioned in this thread. The one saving grace was the performance (and interpretation of the role) by Ben Whishaw as Uriah Heep. Hugh Laurie was also pretty effective as Mr. Dick.

82721.jpg

11b351e079866a993fdfe670d3573e398836d98b

Ben Whishaw as Uriah Heep

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Judging from the cast picture, I'm guessing the new Secret Garden was trying to follow the '20 David Copperfield for a new "Overstylized, diversely cast and Brit-smugly deconstructive remakes of classic literature" cottage industry.

I do wonder about that one girl in the goggles, though, suggesting a wave of British producers thinking anything Victorian "has" to be Steampunk, lest we think that the actresses are "traitors" for playing unempowered Victorian girls of their day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Sukhov said:

The failure of Annie was definitely also due in part to North Korea hacking Sony and releasing the film on torrent sites. I remember that was all over the news at the time.

Yeah Kim Jong Un manage to keep people away from the theatres. :lol:

Maybe North Korea felt sorry for us Americans for once and try to spare everyone the absurdity. ;)

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sukhov said:

The failure of Annie was definitely also due in part to North Korea hacking Sony and releasing the film on torrent sites. I remember that was all over the news at the time.

Just for the sport of it, nonetheless (who actually watches this crap).  Extra brownie points for causing others to think it might have come from NK, or anywhere else for that matter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Just for the sport of it, nonetheless (who actually watches this crap).  Extra brownie points for causing others to think it might have come from NK, or anywhere else for that matter.

This is the article I read about it.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/general-news/sony-hack-interview-annie-caught-755665/

That Annie movie looks really lame to me too but hackers releasing it definitely **** with its box office stats. That's not a real problem for me though because it was just another pointless remake anyways.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hamradio said:

Yeah Kim Jong Un manage to keep people away from the theatres. :lol:

Maybe North Korea felt sorry for us Americans for once and try to spare everyone the absurdity. ;)

Yeah, true. If they had to hack Sony and release their movies they could have at least chosen something worth watching....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Sukhov said:

This is the article I read about it.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/general-news/sony-hack-interview-annie-caught-755665/

That Annie movie looks really lame to me too but hackers releasing it definitely **** with its box office stats. That's not a real problem for me though because it was just another pointless remake anyways.

In an unreleased Tom Hanks movie, The CIA Story, they get into all this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...