Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

If you like Back To The Future and / or ‘80s & ‘90s horror films…

cfc

14 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Is she acrobatic as Starman in fighting villains?

067aba67046d105e6de826346cd2312000b9f6ce

@hamradio 😆! WHAT is this from?

Seriously, though. It’s interesting that you mention that…I learned from a behind-the-scenes podcast that the idea was to make this version of Starman - who’s played by Joel McHale, of all people (but I’m very intrigued by him so far!) - really athletic. In a flashback fight scene in the first episode, he’s struts around using the staff like a golf club, a javelin, a ball bat - every applicable sporting apparatus you can think of. But Courtney (Stargirl) has a background in gymnastics - so when she gets the staff, she uses it in a totally different, gymnast-like way. I thought that was a really neat detail. 😊

Like I said on my blog, I am totally unfamiliar with anything to do with comics - so this show is an adventure in a whole new world for me!

9 minutes ago, Jillian Atchley said:

😆! WHAT is this from?

Seriously, though. It’s interesting that you mention that…I learned from a behind-the-scenes podcast that the idea was to make this version of Starman (who’s played by Joel McHale, of all people (but I’m very intrigued by him so far!) really athletic. In a flashback fight scene in the first episode, he’s struts around using the staff like a golf club, a javelin, a ball bat - every applicable sporting apparatus you can think of. But Courtney (Stargirl) has a background in gymnastics - so when she gets the staff, she uses it in a totally different, gymnast-like way. I thought that was a really neat detail. 😊

Like I said on my blog, I am totally unfamiliar with anything to do with comics - so this show is an adventure in a whole new world for me!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_from_Space

Corny and a bit idiotic by today's standards but he used gymnastics to aid in fighting. 

Can't help but to laugh.

WgYIJ-MLXzVMXOisVOJsD2w8ARLc_WyHBHAEaqJC

Blooper...he's wearing a wristwatch.  :lol:

8a3b16e6f313dd16dd3006e12c844d9c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• cfc changed the title to If you like Back To The Future and / or ‘80s & ‘90s horror films…
6 minutes ago, Jillian Atchley said:

@37kitties 😆! ALSO not affiliated with the TV show - and also something else I didn’t know existed. (I’m getting quite the unexpected education today. ☺️)

"Starboy and the Captain of Outer Space" was featured in episode 10, season 2, of the delightful animated series Home Movies which ran on the cartoon network from 1999-2004. The episode's title is History.

I'm not big on animation or cartoons in general, but this series was something special.  It's long gone now but is available in a DVD collection from SHOUT! (and can probably be found somewhere online as well). The first season was done in "squigglevision" (if you ever watched Dr. Katz, Professional Therapist, you'll know what that is) and can take some getting used to if your unfamiliar with that particular gimmick, but for season 2 through 4 that feature of the animation was eliminated.

It's a show that grows upon a viewer very warmly.

More here: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0197159/reference

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, 37kitties said:

"Starboy and the Captain of Outer Space" was featured in episode 10, season 2, of the delightful animated series Home Movies which ran on the cartoon network from 1999-2004. The episode's title is History.

I'm not big on animation or cartoons in general, but this series was something special.  It's long gone now but is available in a DVD collection from SHOUT! (and can probably be found somewhere online as well). The first season was done in "squigglevision" (if you ever watched Dr. Katz, Professional Therapist, you'll know what that is) and can take some getting used to if your unfamiliar with that particular gimmick, but for season 2 through 4 that feature of the animation was eliminated.

It's a show that grows upon a viewer very warmly.

More here: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0197159/reference

@37kitties Interesting! 😃 This completely flew under my radar, although I do recognize some of the names involved. And if it was on Cartoon Network (or any cable channel), that would explain why it passed me by - because I only had local TV for years and years growing up. I think we finally got a satellite dish some time in the early (or maybe even mid) 2000s.

I like '80s horror films, of which Pieces (1982) is the archetype. Give me a film with the Day Georges or Mary Woronov. But I'm not sure I'd appreciate Stargirl. (Btw, I'm not much of a fan of Back to the Future.  Christopher Lloyd's character is just too annoying.)

pieces-recensissimo-foto.jpg

Pieces (1982)

tumblr_p5q9dof6Mv1ukwh7so1_500.gifv

TerrorVision (1986)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Swithin said:

I like '80s horror films, of which Pieces (1982) is the archetype. Give me a film with the Day Georges or Mary Woronov. But I'm not sure I'd appreciate Stargirl. (Btw, I'm not much of a fan of Back to the Future.  Christopher Lloyd's character is just too annoying.)

pieces-recensissimo-foto.jpg

Pieces (1982)

tumblr_p5q9dof6Mv1ukwh7so1_500.gifv

TerrorVision (1986)

@Swithin And I don’t really appreciate horror movies, of any era. 🙈 When I learned - after watching the Season 2 premiere and noticing the definite shift in tone - that an homage to ‘80s horror films was the inspiration for / theme of the second season, I was a little concerned, as that’s not usually my thing at all. 😳 (Nightmare on Elm Street and It were mentioned specifically in this explanation, although the It miniseries is technically from 1990.).

But I do like the idea of the show paying tribute to a different ‘80s genre every season. And I’m too invested to be frightened away easily. Although, even if I do enjoy it (and I’m almost positive I will, since I’m already so into the story), I’d say “network TV”-level creepy is probably as far out as I’ll ever venture. 

I enjoy Stranger Things, too (but I read spoilers and skip the darkest parts 🙈). 

The mention of Back to the Future and "80's Horror" in the same thread title seems somewhat incongruous. While Future was an 80's film, it doesn't feel connected in any way to the topic of horror films.

The 80's definitely ushered in the largest outburst of screen horror in movie history. The popularity of the genre went through the roof for some reason - particularly in terms of "franchise horror" which hadn't been nearly as active after the Universal franchises of the early-mid 40's.

And this phenomenon continued right through the 90's and continues to this day. One could almost say that since about 1978 (when Halloween first hit the screen, followed soon after by Friday the 13th - these were the fuses that led to the veritable explosion of the genre), we've been living in the age of cinematic horror.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, 37kitties said:

The mention of Back to the Future and "80's Horror" in the same thread title seems somewhat incongruous. While Future was an 80's film, it doesn't feel connected in any way to the topic of horror films.

The 80's definitely ushered in the largest outburst of screen horror in movie history. The popularity of the genre went through the roof for some reason - particularly in terms of "franchise horror" which hadn't been nearly as active after the Universal franchises of the early-mid 40's.

And this phenomenon continued right through the 90's and continues to this day. One could almost say that since about 1978 (when Halloween first hit the screen, followed soon after by Friday the 13th - these were the fuses that led to the veritable explosion of the genre), we've been living in the age of cinematic horror.

Yes, if anything BACK TO THE FUTURE felt more sci-fi than horror, though the entire franchise was more comedic than anything else, as it was intended to be.

Horror did seem to take a nosedive during the 40's (probably no surprise since we went to war after Pearl Harbor and we saw the true horrors of real life with the killings of so many soldiers and the slaughter of the Jews and other minorities of the Holocaust) with very few exceptions to the rule (THE BODY SNATCHER and CAT PEOPLE were great IMO). 

I actually think the horror genre started its comeback during the 70's, you had THE EXORCIST, THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE, THE OMEN, CARRIE, JAWS, ALIEN coming out and scaring the living daylights out of people.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I actually think the horror genre started its comeback during the 70's, you had THE EXORCIST, THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE, THE OMEN, CARRIE, JAWS, ALIEN coming out and scaring the living daylights out of people.

The horror genre never completely left at any time in movie history.

But starting in 1980, it took off like never before and is still going like an unstoppable virus.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, hamradio said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_from_Space

Corny and a bit idiotic by today's standards but he used gymnastics to aid in fighting. 

Can't help but to laugh.

WgYIJ-MLXzVMXOisVOJsD2w8ARLc_WyHBHAEaqJC

Blooper...he's wearing a wristwatch.  :lol:

8a3b16e6f313dd16dd3006e12c844d9c.jpg

HA! 

When I started working at Cadillac it was on the afternoon shift.  And getting home from work at 11:30 at night I would unwind by catching all those hilarious Japanese STARMAN flicks!  :lol:  The man in a rubber monster suit fighting Starman trying to get away by doing BACK FLIPS  and Starman pursuing him by ALSO doing back flips was a hoot!  But you have to remember..

STARMAN was a robot, from a planet that was inhabited by nothing but robots(and who built them was never made clear), and was built to resemble the "Earthlings" that inhabit planet Earth.  Who apparently all look Japanese!  ;) 

When '84's STARMAN with Jeff Bridges came out the title brought back those memories and piqued my curiosity as to what it might be about(acrobatic robots fighting rubber-suit monsters?  ;) ) and was glad I wasn't disappointed by what it is.

Sepiatone

3 hours ago, 37kitties said:

The horror genre never completely left at any time in movie history.

But starting in 1980, it took off like never before and is still going like an unstoppable virus.

That's one virus I wouldn't want to be vaccinated against, as I love horror films; with the exception of the Nightmare on Elm Street-type films, which never have satisfying conclusions. I generally want a dead monster at the end, even if they come up with a reason to resurrect him for another film. Sir Peter Shaffer, in talking about Shakespeare, has said that Shakespeare knew that the groundlings needed release at the end of the play, and Shakespeare gave it to them.

Btw much as I think Pieces (1982) is one of the best examples of '80s horror, I think what they did to Ian Sera's crotch at the end was unforgivable. The film could have ended so perfectly, a minute earlier. The way it ended deprives us of release. 

burningwindmill.jpg\

Frankenstein (1931)

17 hours ago, 37kitties said:

@37kitties @MovieCollectorOH @Bethluvsfilms Oh, I agree - it’s 100% incongruous! 

The tone of Stargirl Season 1 is purposely reminiscent of Back to the Future and other quirky, family-friendly adventure films of the era: ET, Goonies, etc (but Back to the Future was the main influence). I fell in love with its nostalgic vibe, retro look, the touching story-behind-the-story, and the intentional nods to the movies that helped inspire it.

I was so excited for Season 2, I wrote this glowing intro to / review of Season 1 (which still applies, as the first season largely stands on its own) hours before the new season premiered  - only to tune in and realize…It’s strangely darker now. 😳

In listening to a behind-the-scenes podcast, I learned that, while Season 1 was a tribute to those fun adventure films, Season 2 will be the same to ‘80s horror movies (although It was mentioned specifically, and that’s technically from 1990). 

I actually love the rather creative idea of each season having a different genre-specific theme. However, the shift in tone is so apparent that I felt the need to add a little postscript to my original post saying so. (But I am sticking with the show - because the storytelling is excellent, regardless of the theme.) And it dawned on me: these “incongruous” vibes could potentially appeal to two very different audiences. (I guess the common appeal might be “if you like ‘80s movies in general…”)

I thought my title might spark the interest of people who prefer either category (and those who like both - which I imagine is quite a niche group). I’m glad it got some attention - although I never considered it would imply I was under the mistaken impression that Back to the Future qualifies as a horror film. 🙈 (I thought the “and/or” would make the distinction clear…Apparently not.) I hoped it would inspire link clicks instead. 😉 

As I said, if you don’t believe my statement, then check out the post to learn more. (I considered just copying it directly into the thread, but it’s rather in-depth. It grew to have a life of its own. ☺️)

@37kitties I do appreciate the context / deeper look into ‘80s horror you provided. Horror in general is not my style at all (and as such, I know very little about it…except that it does not include Back to the Future 😉). Now, I better understand why it’s something Stargirl’s creators want to pay homage to. It sounds like it was a big decade for the genre. 😃

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hamradio said:

The "Back To The Future" trilogy leaves unanswered plot hole questions regarding missing / extra Marty's.

I got the DVD set with all three movies back in the early 2000s.  It has a very interesting 2nd audio feature with the director and producer talking to each other over the entire length of each movie.  The volume of the movie is ducked when they are talking, but it is also easy to hear the dialog of the movie characters.  It is very detail oriented as they explain every little bit, from plot lines to camera angles.  They leave no stone unturned.  😁

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings