Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"...Time for a refresh?"

Just got a missive to my Now Playing email account.  Here's the body content...

You love classic movies.
And we love bringing them to you.

But while classic is forever, we here at TCM are thinking it’s time for a refresh. 
Don’t get us wrong, we’ll still present the greatest films ever made, along with all the backstories, profiles and context you’ve come to expect. That’s our DNA and a promise.
Only now, we’ll be doing it in a fresh, new way.

Same but different; making the best even better.
We’re excited to show you. See for yourself starting September 1st.

There is no way this can be good. Nothing TCM has done in the last few years has been for the better, other than expanding its retinue of Presenters, but this has, to me, the smell of death all over it.  Fingers crossed that it's a "nothingburger," but not that hopeful...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
22 minutes ago, overeasy said:

Just got a missive to my Now Playing email account.  Here's the body content...

You love classic movies.
And we love bringing them to you.

But while classic is forever, we here at TCM are thinking it’s time for a refresh. 
Don’t get us wrong, we’ll still present the greatest films ever made, along with all the backstories, profiles and context you’ve come to expect. That’s our DNA and a promise.
Only now, we’ll be doing it in a fresh, new way.

Same but different; making the best even better.
We’re excited to show you. See for yourself starting September 1st.

There is no way this can be good. Nothing TCM has done in the last few years has been for the better, other than expanding its retinue of Presenters, but this has, to me, the smell of death all over it.  Fingers crossed that it's a "nothingburger," but not that hopeful...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Hoping its not a streaming service of its  own.  Already pay for 5 separate streamers.  Time to cut back if anything- Netfilx especially offers nothing at the moment i care to see.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Shank Asu said:

Hoping its not a streaming service of its  own.  Already pay for 5 separate streamers.  Time to cut back if anything- Netfilx especially offers nothing at the moment i care to see.

I might not mind that. I pay too much for Youtube TV ONLY for TCM. A lot of sports and other garbage I never use.

Plus Youtube TV is so buggy lately.

• Like 2

I think you can count on new sets and a new graphics package (which they probably teased with that "C" zooming out at the end).  Maybe new hosts?  Maybe an expanded presence on HBO Max?  I don't think they'll be doing anything too drastic since they're in the middle of a merger process that won't close until 2022.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
6 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

I think you can count on new sets and a new graphics package (which they probably teased with that "C" zooming out at the end).  Maybe new hosts?  Maybe an expanded presence on HBO Max?  I don't think they'll be doing anything too drastic since they're in the middle of a merger process that won't close until 2022.

I want to see them convert their set into the interior of the house from Ray Milland's The Uninvited.  No pun intended, it's just a cool house.

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

Got an email via Now Playing saying big changes are coming Sept. 1st.  Apparently will send out info on that date to those receiving email Now Playing Guide.

Hopefully they're just updating their sets, which wouldn't be a bad thing.  Maybe some new graphics too.    An end to the incessant Bonfire podcast promos would certainly be an improvement, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

My guess is they're rebranding the network's name, emphasizing the "classic" part (evidenced by the "C" at the end of the promo) and eliminating "Turner." The Turner brand has been getting phased out in relation to all of the WarnerMedia properties since the AT&T buy-out in 2018. This sounds like a big nothingburger to me. A lot of cosmetic changes perhaps, but nothing substantive in relation to the network's on-air presentation. I don't see a standalone streaming service on the horizon for TCM, as the network already has a streaming relationship with HBO Max for U.S. audiences.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I checked the Saturday, Sept. 11 schedule and it appears to be about the same as usual.  Usual Sat. morning type shows and Noir Alley, but at 1 AM Sunday and repeating at 10.

2 minutes ago, Barton_Keyes said:

My guess is they're rebranding the network's name, emphasizing the "classic" part (evidenced by the "C" at the end of the promo) and eliminating "Turner." The Turner brand has been getting phased out in relation to all of the WarnerMedia properties since the AT&T buy-out in 2018. This sounds like a big nothingburger to me. A lot of cosmetic changes perhaps, but nothing substantive in relation to the network's on-air presentation. I don't see a standalone streaming service on the horizon for TCM, as the network already has a streaming relationship with HBO Max for U.S. audiences.

I get HBO Max and have checked out the TCM site a few times - not impressed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

It is very worth noting that the “watch TCM” app does not work unless you have a cable provider, so if they’re planning to expand that service they better take into consideration how many of us have cut the cord.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Barton_Keyes said:

I watched the promo with Ben again (guess he will stay around) and noted the C at the end after the TCM screen.  Maybe just call it The Classic Movies?  TCM is a significant part of the brand.

• Like 1

I’m guessing this is going to have more to do with branding or presentation than programming. The logo at the end seems like a pretty big clue.  And their schedule up until Sept. 25 looks like a normal TCM schedule.

13 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Not really that much different from when they last worked on the forum. Within about a week's time:

Maybe they're afraid to give more than a week's notice. :) 

35 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

God, with our luck they’re probably rehiring Vasquez.

And making it 310 days of Oscar instead of 31

Now, that would be a way to really screw things up . . .

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
45 minutes ago, Barton_Keyes said:

Barton, my own "little man" is acting up.  (after watching that clip, I need a Bromo Seltzer).  I fear "refresh" is a euphemism for some form of censorship, never mind how adamant TCM has told us, via their pliable hosts, that this would not be the case.

And no, I am not some paranoid nut case, lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
53 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

It is very worth noting that the “watch TCM” app does not work unless you have a cable provider, so if they’re planning to expand that service they better take into consideration how many of us have cut the cord.

No longer true.  I made a post today in the General Discussions that it now works with at least You Tube TV and Hulu.

• Like 2