Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"...Time for a refresh?"

3 hours ago, overeasy said:

There was a time when Mid-Century Modern was just called "that cheap junk we grew up with," but the MCM moniker allows antique dealers to sell it to Millennials at greatly inflated prices!

Hey hey! Art Deco was considered "Streamline Moderne" and adapted in the late 50's as "Atomic". Both are interesting, innovative styles, the difference is Moderne is smooth lines & Atomic is more dynamic. Most big design shifts come center decade- 1965-1975 and 1945-1955.

3e3feb17103a976a26fb92f375b25961.jpg

I've collected Moderne for years and am so glad others have finally come around to liking/appreciating & buying it!

Agreed on dumb "upgrade". Disagree on making it "period" design style. I loved the original TCM charactor logos:

b3d49fe295de70ae5fefeaa930f47a8c.jpg

th?id=OIP.ZcNINdAdvqMym4j0o1jSpQHaEE&pid

They were of their time, but paid homage to classic movie genres. I especially loved the animated ones.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
54 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

"Then meets now" sounds like a way to impose today's sensibilities on yesterday's movies. 

Yes, it sounds like they are trying to reassure longtime viewers while courting younger, new viewers.

From the email today:

"Today is a special day for us at TCM. A day where the beat of culture-forward and classic-inspired is evident in all we do and where classic films become a powerful thread tying the past to the present and future.

The new look and voice of TCM sharpens our heritage by celebrating classic films through our unique lens of context, curation, culture and connections.

We are dedicated to our mission of celebrating the importance, influence and preservation of classic movies. We will continue to do what we do best, but with an eye to connecting the dots between the past and the present as we transport our audiences to worlds, times and lives that are different and far from our own, but all in a familiar place that feels like home and where all are welcome."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
1 minute ago, Peebs said:

It sounds like they are trying to reassure longtime viewers while courting younger, new viewers.

From the email today:

"Today is a special day for us at TCM. A day where the beat of culture-forward and classic-inspired...

"Culture-forward." Political language and corporate language are starting to merge, probably because they share a source in higher education.  I wish there were a present day George Orwell to lampoon this, but it's hard to make fun of things that are already kind of silly.

• Like 7
4 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

"Culture-forward." Political language and corporate language are starting to merge, probably because they share a source in higher education.  I wish there were a present day George Orwell to lampoon this, but it's hard to make fun of things that are already kind of silly.

Whaddaya talkin' 'bout here, Dan?!

Love him or hate him, Bill Maher does THIS every Friday night on HBO, and especially during his "New Rules" segment.

(...and YEP, he skewers the "woke" out there JUST as much as he does the Conservative element in this country of ours TOO!!!)

• Like 2

Just opened the New Look, Same Ol' TCM in September newsletter.

Guess only the newsletter (Now Playing Guide) is changing?  Slightly different format is all I can see.  No changes to TCM itself?

19 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

"Culture-forward." Political language and corporate language are starting to merge, probably because they share a source in higher education. 

Actually, it's because all the language-makers work for the same paymasters.

• Like 1

Some articles about the changes:

Turner Classic Movies Is Changing. And Trying to Stay the Same.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/01/arts/television/turner-classic-movies.html

Turner Classic Movies Unveils Brand Refresh, New Tagline to Reframe Its Focus on Film

https://www.adweek.com/convergent-tv/turner-classic-movies-brand-refresh/

• Thanks 1

It has the air of a salesman who is embarrassed by the product he's selling, who knows it has fallen into disrepute, and is struggling to keep it relevant, looking for plusses, all the while thinking, I've got a warehouse full of this stuff. I've got to unload it. 

The wokesters have the mic in the culture war right now. TCM is feeling the heat I'm sure. Lipstick. Pig. All that. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Dargo said:

Not only THAT here Rich, but all of our monikers around here are now in uppercase lettering TOO!

(...NOT as you might have guessed, I personally would have ANYTHING against THIS, you understand) ;)

LOL

I'm okay with the CAPS but they'd better not crop hair onto Tor Johnson's head or I will really be peed off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
16 minutes ago, scsu1975 said:

I'm okay with the CAPS but they'd better not crop hair onto Tor Johnson's head or I will really be peed off.

Funny how the CAPS only appear to the left of our posts. Everywhere else I see my member name, it's printed normally.

1 hour ago, Peebs said:

Yes, it sounds like they are trying to reassure longtime viewers while courting younger, new viewers.

From the email today:

"Today is a special day for us at TCM. A day where the beat of culture-forward and classic-inspired is evident in all we do and where classic films become a powerful thread tying the past to the present and future.

The new look and voice of TCM sharpens our heritage by celebrating classic films through our unique lens of context, curation, culture and connections.

We are dedicated to our mission of celebrating the importance, influence and preservation of classic movies. We will continue to do what we do best, but with an eye to connecting the dots between the past and the present as we transport our audiences to worlds, times and lives that are different and far from our own, but all in a familiar place that feels like home and where all are welcome."

WHAT A LOAD OF HORSESH-T!!! Wonder how much all this cost?????????

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, 37kitties said:

Funny how the CAPS only appear to the left of our posts. Everywhere else I see my member name, it's printed normally.

I think the new double C logo in the upper left corner is based on Helvetica. Maybe when they loaded that up, all other type reverted back to a default. The default of the page layout may be Helvetica Caps Only.

43 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

The "beat" of "culture-forward" has nothing to do with the movies TCM airs.  They can't change -- unless someone  EDITS  them -- as they've been "in the can" for decades. 

As we have seen, the playlist can be weaponized, while staying completely within the parameters.  Cute trick, huh?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

All caps = you're a corporation, not a living breathing soul.

I see that you are now MOVIECOLLECTO

ROH

because the caps means your screen name is too large to fit on one line.

2 hours ago, LuckyDan said:

I'm coming up with a blank, except for Mike Judge's works and South Park.