Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"...Time for a refresh?"

On 9/3/2021 at 9:54 AM, Hibi said:

He was devout enough not to get a divorce, or his wife wouldn't give him one. That was a no-no with Catholics back then. You couldn't receive the sacraments.

If one has a wife who allows one to "sleep" with other women, one would have to be crazy to divorce her.

On 8/26/2021 at 1:52 PM, txfilmfan said:

I think you can count on new sets and a new graphics package (which they probably teased with that "C" zooming out at the end).  Maybe new hosts?  Maybe an expanded presence on HBO Max?  I don't think they'll be doing anything too drastic since they're in the middle of a merger process that won't close until 2022.

Who are they planning to merge with?

On 9/3/2021 at 4:30 PM, Fedya said:

I don't get what Tracy saw in Robert Young or Ingmar Bergman, and even more so Broderick Crawford.

I have to admit that was a funny and clever response. Someone not reading the whole thread orsomeone who  believes what another wrote might actually believe it was those 3 guys LOL. To make it clear, that was Loretta, Ingrid and Joan.  I don't  believe that Spencer and Kate were just "Pals" . I do believe that Spencer got around quite a lot and with other women.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
20 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

I have to admit that was a funny and clever response. Someone not reading the whole thread orsomeone who  believes what another wrote might actually believe it was those 3 guys LOL. To make it clear, that was Loretta, Ingrid and Joan.  I don't  believe that Spencer and Kate were just "Pals" . I do believe that Spencer got around quite a lot and with other women.

Movie stars are like rabbits.

12 hours ago, 37kitties said:

If one has a wife who allows one to "sleep" with other women, one would have to be crazy to divorce her.

Mrs. Tracy appears to have maintained a certain amount of denial. Probably Spencer and Kate each had their own ways of denying this or interpreting that which justified, if only in their own minds, what they were doing and with whom.

11 hours ago, 37kitties said:

Movie stars are like rabbits.

A comedian whose name I can't remember once said that a man is as faithful or unfaithful as his options. As a leading man Tracy would have had considerable "options."

My wife and I watched Lawrence of Arabia last evening.   I was not planning on it since I own an Amazon 4K version and the 4K disc version.

(Of course the 4K disc version is superior since it is NOT compressed. Either the picture or the sound.  Then again the Amazon 4K is pretty good too)

However it was 'On' and we settled in.  My wife just loves Peter O'tool and Omar Shariff.  It is in my top 5 films of all time.

What I did not like about viewing this wonderful film was the TCM logo would pop up from time to time.

The more recent 'Older Logo' is a LOT more subdued and you can barely notice it where as the 'New Logo' jumps out there and is distracting.

Also like I posted a few days ago I ended up purchasing some TCM Swag just so I could own some of the Older Logos before they disappear.  

I cannot see the New Logo selling very well down the road....

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

Mrs. Tracy appears to have maintained a certain amount of denial. Probably Spencer and Kate each had their own ways of denying this or interpreting that which justified, if only in their own minds, what they were doing and with whom.

A comedian whose name I can't remember once said that a man is as faithful or unfaithful as his options. As a leading man Tracy would have had considerable "options."

From what I read,  I think the Tracys had a strong bond over their children.   Their son was deaf and the doctors told them to put him in a state school.  His parents  ignored this advice and kept talking to their son, and eventually the child learned to read their lips.  In 1943, his parents established the John Tracy Clinic in Los Angeles to help hearing impaired kids and their families.  For the first few years, Spencer Tracy completely funded the clinic. I think Spencer Tracy had a lot of guilt over his son's condition and as a result felt a deep obligation to his family despite his affairs with various leading ladies.  

john-tracy-bungalow  

• Like 3

I’m a long time TCM fan and I want to say I’m not a fan of the new look.  I don’t think the logo and graphics are representative  of what TCM is all about.  Years ago  there was a logo with a profile drawing of a gangster type man with chiseled features that I really liked.  These new colored graphics, not so much.

• Like 3

I’ve been away from the discussion for a couple of days, so apologies if someone else has already made the same point.

I’m finding that I dislike the new TCM logo and overall style changes more as I see them more. 

At first, I was just relieved that they weren’t changing the main content, and I thought I’d get used to the style changes.  While I may indeed get used to those changes because I have no choice if I want to watch TCM, I really don’t like them now that I’ve seen them more.

The new “style” is generic and boring, as others have pointed out, while at the same time being annoyingly frenetic and noisy.  The new logo tells you nothing about what it refers to, again, as others have correctly pointed out.

I think the last straw for me was the opening to Noir Alley last night.  They scrapped the Noir-esque graphics, taken from actual films noir, removed the lonely trumpet soundtrack, and replaced them with a generic opening with graphics and electronic music that could have been for any other program, on TCM or elsewhere.

I’ve experienced this kind of thinking before,  in my workplace, a government agency.  Several years ago, they hired consultants who were paid a great deal of money and took a lot of time  just  to  recommend new colors and fonts for our web pages and other documents, although it took a thick “report” for them to explain their simplistic changes.  “Consistency” was their watchword, even when there were reasons for things to be different.  Sound familiar?  (“A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds... .”  — Ralph Waldo Emerson)

I’m sorry to say that TCM has really disappointed me here.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

One thing I do like if they keep it up - The special insights from Ben Mankiewicz actually being from Robert Osborne. For "The Joker is Wild" last night they replayed the wrap around with Robert and Mitzi Gaynor. That's an improvement. 

• Like 1

Hear, hear! Bingfan.  There simply is nothing in the new TOM branding that makes me think of classic  movies.  Not even just plain old run-of-the-mill movies for that matter.  I might as well be looking at a channel devoted to cleaning out septic tanks.  

Oh, well.  Certainly nothing so bad as to make me not watch the channel, but what a waste of time and talent on this unsatisfactory confection.  Never has so little been done to annoy so many so quickly. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
On 9/4/2021 at 8:57 AM, brianNH said:

You know, you could probably sell these things!

I'm thinking about having a booth next CapitolFest. I make movie star charms (TCM was just for me) and single light switch cover plates, usually classic movie posters. I have custom made classic film star vellum lamp shades as fundraisers & as gifts for special friends.  But if I have a booth, that means missing movies. 

You can always special order an item, I've made several charms of this message board's members avatars. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

I'm thinking about having a booth next CapitolFest. I make movie star charms (TCM was just for me) and single light switch cover plates, usually classic movie posters. I have custom made classic film star vellum lamp shades as fundraisers & as gifts for special friends.  But if I have a booth, that means missing movies. 

You can always special order an item, I've made several charms of this message board's members avatars. 

Would you ever consider selling on Etsy? It could be time consuming but I bet there is a market for items with a classic movie theme.  We've ordered nifty things on Etsy that had a movie or tv show theme, items you couldn't find anywhere else.  

• Thanks 1

Nothing to see here... Move along... Thus far this has all been much ado about nothing... Ben got a new set and the graphics changed. They went out of their way to assure us nothing was going to change and so far they're right.  Well, maybe that moving camera thing no one seems to enjoy...

The ballyhoo makes no sense to me at this point... Perhaps there's more to come later but for now... ho hum... business as usual just a different font... And I'm guessing a very expensive one at that.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, brianNH said:

Never has so little been done to annoy so many so quickly. 

Oh, I would say a host mentioning an upcoming movie contains racially insensitive content takes less effort and has annoyed a lot more people on here more quickly.

Well I don't really care for the TOM logo, the new sets are fine, and the kinds of movies being shown are apparently not changing so there is not a problem. At least I don't have to hear "let's movie" ever again.

Still, I think in the long run it may be best t split into two channels, one for pre 70's or code era films and the other for later films.  

• Like 1
On 9/4/2021 at 2:38 AM, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

I was told that it was a great place to cast pearls.

If what is such a dreary chore? Doing something (such as watching old movies) not for fun, enjoyment, and pleasure but because some taskmaster (like for instance, a "classic film" buff) thinks that you should do it? Having to explain one's comments to prickly remedial school graduates who get snippy when something they read upsets them?

Being a troll certainly is!!!

• Like 4

Yes, I'm not the brightest person on these boards. So we're going to start with that.

Now let's continue with the premise you have a big role out saying you want to bring TCM into 21st century. And during that first month of this big change you make Paul Robeson, one of the most controversial personalities of the 20th Century Star of the Month. A bold premise and totally appropriate for your new role out.  Then instead of having the likes of Jacqueline Stewart or Donald Bogle or perhaps Stewart and Bogle discussing African-American Paul Robeson's career you have a Caucasian do it. Not that a Caucasian can't do it but you just said...

Now again, I'm not smart but that just doesn't make sense to me. Especially in light of the fact that you made a big stink about how you want these films to be relevant in a new era. Bring them into context. It seems to me a perfect, perfect opportunity to set the bar for your new look was completley wasted.

Immediately following a three film tribute to Paul Robeson you have Jacqueline Stewart introduce a single Harold Lloyd short. Not even saying a word about the two shorts that follow.

Then you present a film from India and Alicia Malone isn't there to introduce it and put it into context for these new enlightened times.

At the moment I'm finding little to celebrate regarding TCM so it's best to follow the old saying, If you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all.

I'm going to shut up now and go to bed. I'm not going to comment further and will likely stay off the boards for a while because I seem to be spewing a lot of negative comments regarding this new "incarnation" of TCM.

I really don't want to be that guy.

• Thanks 2
1 hour ago, yanceycravat said:

Now let's continue with the premise you have a big role out saying you want to bring TCM into 21st century. And during that first month of this big change you make Paul Robeson, one of the most controversial personalities of the 20th Century Star of the Month. A bold premise and totally appropriate for your new role out.  Then instead of having the likes of Jacqueline Stewart or Donald Bogle or perhaps Stewart and Bogle discussing African-American Paul Robeson's career you have a Caucasian do it. Not that a Caucasian can't do it but you just said...

Gotta say here Yancey, it seems by this you're pretty much sayin' we have yet to reach a time in this country when, and to paraphrase a certain memorable speech once given by a great man of peace:

"I look forward to a day when TCM hosts aren't judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their wraparounds!"

;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1