Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"...Time for a refresh?"

What's the significance of 12 noon ET on September 1 for the delivery of the Now Playing newsletter? I'm very skeptical about all this. I only hope they aren't going commercial like AMC did.

We are all dinosaurs, none of the young generation has any interest in classic movies, I see complete ones on youtube that are full movies with barely a thousand views in two years. The only way TCM makes it is pay streaming and the little they get for the general cable buyers. So many great movies never get played, either too expensive to license or not "classic" enough for the station. Even some made for TV movies are better than the real 'classics" but have no hope of making the station. New paint won't cut it. Programming is the key, but until they see the light, it won't happen.

PS Every day they lose "classic" viewers due to old age, think a bout it. That system is hopeless and needs to be upgraded to TCM 2.0. Instead we will get TCM 1.135

Oh, my.  Where do I begin?  Sounds reminiscent of what local TV station news directors do when they arrive upon the scene.  Change the logo, change the set, change the graphics.  While the sets have been pretty awful for YEARS and I would totally celebrate the demise of the idiotic "Let's Movie" slogan, I would/will really miss the "classic graphics"   --  the only thing left from the early days of TCM when they hired a series of incredibly creative designers to come up with truly amazing, evocative graphics  --   the way I really miss the old website.  Yes, let's make TCM (if it even continues as TCM) look like any other network and toss all remnants of the old regime.  If they lose the name Turner (which I think is a good guess) from the name of the channel, that's really too bad.  Say what you will, Ted Turner was the chief architect of all that we loved about TCM in the early days.  Systematically, over the years,  all of the special things about TCM  --  the graphics, the website, the "celebration" of special programming like SUTS have been eliminated to put more $$ in the hands of owners and investors.  For example  --  the newsletter now is nothing more than a series of links to existing info on the website (no calendars with themes of the day, etc.) so what is the point of even sending it out?   I used to look forward to getting it online  --  now it's a joke.  Gone (seemingly forever) are: Special programs about classic stars (remember the 60 minute programs on Clark Gable, Jean Harlow, Barbara Stanwyck, etc, etc.) , New material/star interviews to go between movies (now all we see are snippets of interviews which have played a thousand times before OR  endless commercials for stuff they are trying to sell ) Actual TIMES next to upcoming films, Voice-Overs about upcoming films, Special promos and/or graphics for SUTS, 31 Days, SOTM (remember when Stars of the Month had promos done specifically about them??) and the list goes on and on.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

No longer true.  I made a post today in the General Discussions that it now works with at least You Tube TV and Hulu.

!

👍👍👍👍❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️💥💥💥💥💥💋💋💋💋🌈🌈🌈

Oh my God! Thank you so much for telling me this! I had no idea!!!!

By the way, thank you also for that post you made a while back about Lucille Ball’s radio show on SiriusXM, thanks to you I’ve been listening to it and it is fascinating.

32 minutes ago, lydecker said:

Now, that would be a way to really screw things up . . .

NEVER EVER Underestimate the power of higher ups to completely screw up something in ways that you didn’t even think were possible.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
2 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

!

👍👍👍👍❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️💥💥💥💥💥💋💋💋💋🌈🌈🌈

Oh my God! Thank you so much for telling me this! I had no idea!!!!

By the way, thank you also for that post you made a while back about Lucille Ball’s radio show on SiriusXM, thanks to you I’ve been listening to it and it is fascinating.

You're welcome.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

NEVER EVER Underestimate the power of higher ups to completely screw up something in ways that you didn’t even think were possible.

Too true!

10 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

She had an absolutely fascinating discussion with Evelyn Keyes yesterday! 

I found it interesting that her thread of questioning tended more towards the home rather than work, entertaining (always informally!) and her concerns about how she was raising her kids and how other celebrities dealt with the same.

I managed to catch the episodes she recorded with Vivian Vance, done on the WB set of The Great Race.  It was like eavesdropping on a chat they were having over lunch, with topics switching every 30 seconds or so!  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, overeasy said:

Just got a missive to my Now Playing email account.  Here's the body content...

You love classic movies.
And we love bringing them to you.

But while classic is forever, we here at TCM are thinking it’s time for a refresh. 
Don’t get us wrong, we’ll still present the greatest films ever made, along with all the backstories, profiles and context you’ve come to expect. That’s our DNA and a promise.
Only now, we’ll be doing it in a fresh, new way.

Same but different; making the best even better.
We’re excited to show you. See for yourself starting September 1st.

There is no way this can be good. Nothing TCM has done in the last few years has been for the better, other than expanding its retinue of Presenters, but this has, to me, the smell of death all over it.  Fingers crossed that it's a "nothingburger," but not that hopeful...

Hope My Ears (Eyes) Deceive me but i fancy i hear banjo music.

• Haha 1

So we're finally going to get Ben looking  into the camera and say "****!"  

(Anyone confused by that, search WKRP in Cincinnati and Dr Johnny Fever)

Cheers,

Brian

"Lately I've been trying very hard to not let negativity into my life. There's so much of it out there that it can be quite debilitating . However, since I started this thread, I felt compelled to respond.

While this is just the smallest of annoyances it occurred to me last night, when I saw the ANCHORS AWAY trailer out of ratio, that TCM has kind of given up being precise.

It may have started with the pervasive ads touting anything with the TCM logo slapped on it.

Perhaps it's when they stopped giving exact times on the preview cards and went with Next, Later and Sometime In A Couple of Hours...

Certainly the recent Horoscope Spotlight was a nadir.

Maybe it's when Robert died. I don't know. I just know, and here comes my old chestnut, letting Ben say whatever he wants adds nothing to the introduction and often detracts from my enjoyment of the wrap-arounds. Another key element to my watching TCM.

I love this channel. It's the one I primarily watch. It means a great deal to me for many reasons. And like a lot of people I feel very proprietary towards it. I don't want to be one of those people who keep carping that TCM is not what it was. But honestly it's not.

I'm over 60 now and I don't want to shake my hand at the TV and yell, You kids get off my channel!" but it's becoming clear to me I'm slowly moving past their target audience."

The above is one of my posts from another topic...

I'm going to try and remain optimistic. My gut tells me somehow TCM is finally going to give me the boot!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I can see you all have herd the news.  Hopefully TCM doesn’t discontinue the classics and starts showing only movies from the 90s.  Early 2000s up to today’s movies.  Because there are still all kinds of people I want to see as SOTM sometime and all kinds of programming.  I don’t think it will change.  Because Eddie Muller will be back for Noir Alley next month.  Lucille Ball will be SOTM this October.  So I think we’ve got nothing to worry about.  But still.  I kind of don’t want TCM to change to where they actually discontinue the classics.  That’s exactly what happened with TV Land.  It was nothing but classic TV and that’s all gone.  They still show some.  But not 247 like they did.  I’m not even sure AMC still shows classics like TCM does.  I think they show more of today’s movies and shows and I still want to go to the TCM Classic Film Festival and on the TCM Classic Cruise someday.  More then once too.  Ben.  Dave.  Alicia.  Eddie.  Jacqlane.  Scott.  Gary and all the special guest hosts.  Including Lenoared Malton.  This is one of your biggest fans and viewers and I speak for all the fans and viewers when I say.  Please don’t change TCM.  I love it.  We all love it.  I love you all so much.  We all love you all so much.  TCM’s got really wonderful programming and TopBilled and I are still hoping to see Rick Moranis as a guest programmer sometime and I’m still hoping to see Kermit The Frog again.  Tim Allen.  Mel Brooks and Jimmy Fallon as guest programmers sometime too.

• Like 4

I'm not entirely sure what's happening as the email confused the hell out of me, but I swear to god if "Turner Classic Movies" turns into "Turner Newer Movies" or gets rid of any of the good stuff I'm going to rage. It's the one channel I watch regularly and find comfort in and that's coming from a 20 year old so don't worry, if younger people are their only target audience imma be fighting for the classics to stay. Bring it on TCM!😤

• Like 4
2 hours ago, ElCid said:

Got an email via Now Playing saying big changes are coming Sept. 1st.  Apparently will send out info on that date to those receiving email Now Playing Guide.

Great. :(

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

God, with our luck they’re probably rehiring Vasquez.

And making it 310 days of Oscar instead of 31

Don't even think about it! :D

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, yanceycravat said:

Does a big change announcement from any other channel fill their viewers with as much fear and trepidation as TCM?😆

I think it shows that people are creatures of habit and many resist change.

But then there are those who like change and look forward to new and improved things.

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

It is very worth noting that the “watch TCM” app does not work unless you have a cable provider, so if they’re planning to expand that service they better take into consideration how many of us have cut the cord.

I have a provider and the app has never worked for me.  But my life has not suffered for it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1