Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"...Time for a refresh?"

3 hours ago, Dargo said:

Gotta say here Yancey, it seems by this you're pretty much sayin' we have yet to reach a time in this country when, and to paraphrase a certain memorable speech once given by a great man of peace:

"I look forward to a day when TCM hosts aren't judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their wraparounds!"

;)

Agreed.  Would appear to be stereotyping if only non-whites could do wraparounds or discussions of non-whites.

Jacqueline Stewart last night introducing Among Those Present:

JY0dPgn.jpg

Jacqueline Stewart in the wrap-up for Among Those Present:

LpWxkCJ.jpg

There must have been a change in the lineup for the silent film shorts coming on after Among Those Present.  But they got Jacqueline back to the studio to wrap things up without discussing the remaining films.  Maybe they knew a change was coming but weren't yet sure what the films would be.

A similar change would explain why there was no Alicia Malone to introduce the first TCM Imports film Aparajito.  They cancelled a planned premiere of Mother and Son for TCM Imports, and apparently in Alicia's case there wasn't enough time for her to come back and do a new intro for the replacement.

Maybe TCM could hire VANILLA ICE to do the 'Host Intro' duty for some Paul Robeson films, eh? 

He could rap!  Ya know what I mean?

Here's how it could go:

"Yo Yo Yo, I iz VANILLA ICE.  'Sup?  I iz a 'white brotha'.

'Sup?  Yeah . . . whateva!"

------------------

Here And Now

Like I be chillin'

While my Supa White Fren

Wants ta do his own shillin'!  Ya dig?

'Sup?  

Φ More rap wisdom from The Ice Man Φ

"I iz into freedom

I ain't into no "Oppression" 

I flunked outta da howss (???) -- to ya brotha!

I set myself on fire last night and I'm roastin'! 

Yo Yo Yo!  I'M DEAD!  What a drag! 

'SUP?   

The new logo intro thing for Silent Sunday Nights is hideous. From what I can tell it features a 1 second shot of Lon Chaney as a clown, a two picture shot of Nazimova and Valentino, and the train from THE GENERAL. There's also some dumb squiggles. That's it. Also a theme tune with about 5 notes in it and some clapping sounds from a ho-down. 11 seconds. I wonder what they paid for this????

• Sad 1
22 minutes ago, UMO1982 said:

The new logo intro thing for Silent Sunday Nights is hideous. From what I can tell it features a 1 second shot of Lon Chaney as a clown, a two picture shot of Nazimova and Valentino, and the train from THE GENERAL. There's also some dumb squiggles. That's it. Also a theme tune with about 5 notes in it and some clapping sounds from a ho-down. 11 seconds. I wonder what they paid for this????

I've heard the figure is $1.25Million.

(...which was reportedly taken from TCM's 20th Century Fox/Paramount Pictures movie procurement fund) 

;)

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1
19 minutes ago, brianNH said:

Wow! Rentals in the Space Pad Apartments are pricey these days.  It's no wonder then that Karger and the others have to stay put in their  old confines while Ben gets the upgrade.

Well, that's good for them TOO ya know, Brian.

It'll help keep 'em humble.

There's nothin' worse than a cocky TCM host, ya know.  ;)

(...and no, that wasn't a comment about Ben...well no, not intended to be, anyway)

• Haha 1
On 9/5/2021 at 9:33 AM, OldDood said:

My wife and I watched Lawrence of Arabia last evening.   I was not planning on it since I own an Amazon 4K version and the 4K disc version.

(Of course the 4K disc version is superior since it is NOT compressed. Either the picture or the sound.  Then again the Amazon 4K is pretty good too)

However it was 'On' and we settled in.  My wife just loves Peter O'tool and Omar Shariff.  It is in my top 5 films of all time.

What I did not like about viewing this wonderful film was the TCM logo would pop up from time to time.

The more recent 'Older Logo' is a LOT more subdued and you can barely notice it where as the 'New Logo' jumps out there and is distracting.

Also like I posted a few days ago I ended up purchasing some TCM Swag just so I could own some of the Older Logos before they disappear.  

I cannot see the New Logo selling very well down the road....

One of the many things that has made TCM unique, appealing and endearing was their willingness to buck the trend of displaying their logo constantly.  When it did pop up onscreen during a movie, it was relatively transparent and unobtrusive.  The new logo, in addition to being less-obviously relevant, is, in fact, quite distracting.  It also seems to be recurring more frequently.  All in all, a degrading of the overall experience.

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, Traditionalist said:

One of the many things that has made TCM unique, appealing and endearing was their willingness to buck the trend of displaying their logo constantly.  When it did pop up onscreen during a movie, it was relatively transparent and unobtrusive.  The new logo, in addition to being less-obviously relevant, is, in fact, quite distracting.  It also seems to be recurring more frequently.  All in all, a degrading of the overall experience.

I've noticed that.

It's too bold. Hope they phase it back a little.

• Like 1

I was of the opinion that most of the complaints about the TCM changes were inconsequential. Until I saw Eddie Muller's intro to CLOUDBURST. In the background behind him, are an empty ice bucket and an empty cocktail shaker. Behind him to his left is a large glass filled almost to the brim with clear liquid. The glass contains no lemon twist or olives (indicating that it might be a martini), no onions (as in a gibson), no stirrer, no nothing. It looks like a glass of water.

Hard-boiled Eddie Muller drinking water on a Saturday night film noir intro? What is TCM coming to ? Now I'm worried.

• Haha 1
49 minutes ago, Herman Bricks said:

I was of the opinion that most of the complaints about the TCM changes were inconsequential. Until I saw Eddie Muller's intro to CLOUDBURST. In the background behind him, are an empty ice bucket and an empty cocktail shaker. Behind him to his left is a large glass filled almost to the brim with clear liquid. The glass contains no lemon twist or olives (indicating that it might be a martini), no onions (as in a gibson), no stirrer, no nothing. It looks like a glass of water.

Hard-boiled Eddie Muller drinking water on a Saturday night film noir intro? What is TCM coming to ? Now I'm worried.

Haven't noticed that, but how about an informal drink.  A large glass, what would that be, two cups or half a liter?  Half a liter of vodka perhaps?  I'm not a big drinker, but I'd be set for a whole night on half a liter of vodka...downed very slowly over several hours. 

Okay, considering he is on the job while "not on the job", maybe he is just drinking water.  😁

11 hours ago, Traditionalist said:

New here, first post, but the logo thing has me shook. The original logo was so unique and beautiful; the whole series of logos set TCM apart. The new one is shoots straight for the middle of the road and says nothing. If it's movement and color they were after, animating the old logo(s) is pretty simple and would, I think, have been embraced. It's not too late, TCM, back out of that new logo now. It's awful.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 9/6/2021 at 9:54 PM, UMO1982 said:

WAY too much.......

• Like 1

There is going to be a time in the not so distant future where everyone who is not pleased with the new logo, the new on-air set, or anything to do with any of the on-air introductions is going to fade somewhat into the background. It was like that when the message boards were changed. Sure, it took several months of ****ing and complaining here on the boards, but eventually that settled down. Although every now and again that thread about the message boards changing still pops up with some sort of comment.

What I am getting at here is this:

TCM was going to make changes eventually.

The sets that Robert Osborne used were sets that felt comfortable for I am sure him, and the many old Hollywood guests he used to interview. It was like you were in his living room or his own screening room adorned with mementos from his career and old Hollywood.

That TCM waited this long after RO passed away I think shows that they miss RO very much and wanted to make sure that any changes that they made was going to be made well after his passing, so as not to look like they were taking advantage of his passing so that they could make these on-air changes.

It might also be the times we are living in. Many more people now use streaming devices on their phones and tablets so making these changes seems to fit in with what that entails.

• Like 1

Very good points, FXReyman.  I think you're probably hitting the right nails on the heads.  Potential new audiences don't know RO from Adam, so a little refreshing would seem to be in order.

Here's where I think a lot of folks are displeased.  Whereas in the past, the channel made changes that still kept viewers knowing they were watching a classic movie channel.  Now everything seems to be scrapped in favor of some strange, frenetic pulse that thrusts the movies forward as if jet-propelled.  If I just came across this channel at random, I think it would take me a long time to figure out that it was devoted to classic movies.  Motion picture icons are still fairly knowable, yet not one seems to have been included in the graphics or overall design of the new look.

If this is some kind of soft launch -- as restaurants often do -- before the big hoopla of a Grand Opening, why not tease us with some exciting new previews of what is to come.  Just saying, "We're bringing the past into the present" is pretty downright sketchy.  Attending a soft launch at this restaurant isn't really making me want to return later.  Frankly, it appears to me to be poorly conceived and sloppy.  And if this is the level of attention to detail that is coming, I wouldn't place too much confidence in whatever theses guys have to tell me about movies later on.  Sure, I can tolerate the new look -- though I don't have to like it -- but if the channel begins drifting into sloppy execution and shallowly informed conversations, then I truly will be sad.  

Enough essay for now.  Sorry.

• Like 2

For me it's not about the new set or graphics.   They're certainly not an improvement but I can live with them.   What does bother me is Ben.  I used to like him well enough but lately I'm getting a condescending, used car salesman vibe from him and it doesn't sit well.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I waited a week to gather my thoughts and marinate my response to the new look of TCM and what it means to me as a fan & viewer and what it means as to where we are today and where we are headed in the future. 

As a middle-aged millennial woman who spent a childhood of vhs video cassette tapes being borrowed from the library or local video store who remembers TCM from the beginning with Robert Osbourne and the old sets it is a culture shock because with every passing hear since he's been gone it seems the powers that be of TCM are drifting further away from the original format.

When the Reframed series highlighting films with a politically correct angle of apologizing for old and outdated racial stereotypes was aired. I knew that we were headed for a new rebranding of safe spaces for grown adults who need to be coddled about the way things were at one time and told by certain hosts that yes we still air these films but you're going to be okay because we'll give you the context that we want you to know while you watch our channel it was bye bye to the old TCM, hello to the new TCM that airs some of the biggest films at a time slot when the old folks are still asleep and a 20 something millennial won't get their feelings hurt and cry on social media accounts in a corner made of their own feelings.

My two cents : The world is changing regardless of politics and I'm sure we all know that movie theaters are going the way of video stores, now DVDs are all but obselete thanks to free streaming service platforms on tablets.

I will continue to love and watch TCM as a fan & viewer but you might as well purchase your favorite films on DVD because of the changing nature of censorship today we won't have anything left to introduce to the new younger generation so they can be educated on the ills of yesterday while living in the present day.

TCM is changing because the culture is changing. It's not the same cable channel it was when I was 8 years old in 1994 when the only way to see these films was to watch them on television or borrow them from the local library on video cassette. We have to accept that this is the hand we've all been dealt with and go on with our lives. Turn the station if you don't like the reception.

• Like 3

I never pay much attention to the catchphrases, logos, graphics, etc. Some are better than others,

but they're just peripheral matters. Whether TCM put a new blanket on the old gray mare in the

hope of attracting a different demo or if it was just to change things around that most corporations

do from time to time doesn't matter to me. Carry on regardless. 

• Like 1

"......... the "Where Then Meets Now" tagline will continue to be reflected in programming and design (it dotted posters around the Telluride Film Festival this past weekend). There's the obvious link of remakes, but she stresses it goes much deeper than that. "It's the juxtaposition of, say, an actor in a type of part up against an actor in a movie 50 years later, and you realize, 'Oh my gosh, there's a DNA strand that connects them,'" she notes. "It's about seeing that thread of history."........

TCM's viewers, who congregate on Facebook pages and live tweet films weekly via the TCM Party hashtag and Twitter accounts, are a passionate bunch. The community the network has built sells out film festivals and cruises packed with fans (and they range from small children to the elderly, despite whatever assumptions you might have about the channel's demographic). "We knew we had to be careful because they are our lifeblood," Mankiewicz notes. "They're the only group of fans that are this passionate, this emotionally invested in one channel."

But as Mankiewicz points out, ultimately, this refresh is about ensuring TCM and above all, the films they show, stay relevant and a part of the contemporary conversation. "The movies are not going to change; they're classic movies," he reflects. "But we're on now. And every classic movie fan may fear TCM changing, but their biggest fear is that these movies stop being relevant. They stop mattering to people. Our job is to make sure that never happens."................

see all :  https://ew.com/movies/tcm-brand-refresh-new-look/

:unsure:

• Like 1
On 9/2/2021 at 10:38 PM, overeasy said:

I simple thought.  That has nothing to do with Spence and Hepburn. But thanks for the distraction, TB.

The TCM logo. 

I wonder how nice it would have been if they'd just stayed with the original logotype?  Would that have hurt anyone? Would that have driven away potential viewers?

No.  It would not.  The original logo had a soul and a sense of time and place the that new logo lacks, in extremis.  The new logo can hardly be called a logo.  It's just weak typeface that spells out the networks name. As others have noted, it really ain't gonna sell many t-shirts or mugs.

The strong, smart brands know enough to make incremental changes to their typography, unless it is hopelessly outdated. Many of them have learned that staying with an archetype turns out to be the best practice, as typefaces and logos often come around and become "cool" again. And they have a power that transcends fads.  Think Perrier. Coke. Alfa Romeo, CBS.  Meanwhile, the less enlightened create new logos (think Dodge, Pepsi, Kia) that are meaningless, but succeed to ensuring that "the emperors new clothes" stays on many people tongues.

I will really miss the original logo.  And believe me, it was "outdated" when it began.  It was not au courant when TCM launched, but was intended to imbue a "classic movie" sense to the network, while still being simple and elegant.  Something the new logo fails to do.

An addendum to the discussion on the logo.  Here is the guy/studio/talent who designed the original TCM brand art. Charles S. Anderson.  Go straight to him, he has more where that came from.  Much much more.

https://www.csaimages.com/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
7 hours ago, Movie Collector OH said:

An addendum to the discussion on the logo.  Here is the guy/studio/talent who designed the original TCM brand art. Charles S. Anderson.  Go straight to him, he has more where that came from.  Much much more.

https://www.csaimages.com/

Thank you so much for this. It (and Charles S. Anderson) are treasures. I totally agree with his statement that while technology is great, it has taken away, too often, of the need to think creatively and to do things by hand.  

• Like 5