Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"...Time for a refresh?"

overeasy

Just now, David Guercio said:

I also just thought.  Hopefully they don’t also discontinue these message boards.  Because I really enjoy posting with all you guys about TCM.  Especially you TopBilled.  TV Land also had message boards too.  But they’re all gone.

I forgot TVLand had message boards. I know the IMDb did too.

David you've really grown as a writer on this website.

4 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Like I said be nice. No need to be negative. 

TCM obviously feels it can improve some things with the services and products it provides. So good for them!

Stop with the "improve" already.

Improvement only happens if there's improvement.

• Haha 1

I'm skimming the September listings right now. Most of the programming looks like the current standard (almost no pre-1935 films that I haven't seen before; too many post-1969 films for the tastes of most people posting here).  However, in addition to the Paul Robeson SOTM programming, I'm finding a block of Spanish-language films scheduled for 9/20/21 primetime. This would be a very big deal, because supposedly a lot of viewers object to having to read subtitles (or silent film intertitles) as part of movie watching. IF this is part of TCM's "refresh," I might not cancel my cable. Just yet....

• Like 1

Apparently the last two pages’ worth of commenters haven’t seen TCM’s replies on Twitter saying  they will continue showing Golden Age Hollywood films, won’t be adding commercials, and that people will be able to watch the channel as they currently do. I don’t think we’re looking at any drastic changes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Change doesn't mean improve (actually) in promoland, but that's what its people say.

TCM was overdue for a refreshed look, the way things go in the TV world (that's where it lives). "Let's Movie" is 6 years old.

The fact we see a set being refeshed in the video is meant to say not everything is changing. Maybe just the mascara and lipstick and a coat of paint, not the underlying structure.

As to movies from the 1990s and 2000s, they've already snuck in, from time to time. Age does not make a film "classic."

If what they do this time around sucks, they'll soon find out from both current and potential audiences. Younger audiences (the demo that matters when there's advertising of any sort) are connected and cord cut. Linear schedules, talking heads and monochrome are not their things (supposedly, until they're exposed to them, but that's another topic).

As long as [T]CM keeps the peace.

Strange, BTW that there's nothing in industry or entertainment press about any changes at TCM. Tight lid on this.

• Like 2

"Apparently the last two pages’ worth of commenters haven’t seen TCM’s replies on Twitter saying  they will continue showing Golden Age Hollywood films, won’t be adding commercials, and that people will be able to watch the channel as they currently do. I don’t think we’re looking at any drastic changes. "

Not everyone's on Twitter.

6 minutes ago, Hurding Katz said:

"Apparently the last two pages’ worth of commenters haven’t seen TCM’s replies on Twitter saying  they will continue showing Golden Age Hollywood films, won’t be adding commercials, and that people will be able to watch the channel as they currently do. I don’t think we’re looking at any drastic changes. "

You don’t have to be to see the comments. I was only trying to reassure people, not be snarky.

9 minutes ago, Hurding Katz said:

Uh-huh, and especially not the regulars around HERE!  ;)

(...btw...loved your very first posting up there, HK...some very good points made in it, newbie...welcome to the boards)

25 minutes ago, Hurding Katz said:

I'm not. Nor "The Facebook" or "The Gram". Hope never to be.

"Social Media is the place you go to apologize for that thing you said the day before!" - Glenn Taranto

3 minutes ago, yanceycravat said:

I'm not. Nor "The Facebook" or "The Gram". Hope never to be.

"Social Media is the place you go to apologize for that thing you said yesterday!" - Glenn Taranto

Uh-huh, and neither is THIS long-standing TCM forum contributor HERE, yancey ol' boy.

However IF I was, I doubt I'd "apologize" for anything I would have said the day before in those social media sites.

As my philosophy in these regards had been and will CONTINUE be that ol' saw: "Screw 'em if they can't take a joke!"

(...yeah yeah, I know...isn't that just so "un-PC" now days?!)  ;)

LOL

• Like 1

I really think everything will be fine and that we’ll have nothing to worry about.  We’ll find out September 1st and thanks for the comment TopBilled.  People have said all the time that I have really great.  Creative and interesting ideas.  That’s how I come up with who I’d like to see as SOTM sometime and everything I’d like to see on here sometime.  Like we’d still like to see Rick Moranis as a guest programmer sometime too right and I still think you and I should request stuff together on here sometime.  Like Rick Moranis as a guest programmer sometime.  That’s a start right?  So let’s all not give up hope on this refresh everybody.  Just think positive like me and with me.  I’m sure everything will be fine and we’ll have nothing to worry about.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, David Guercio said:

I really think everything will be fine and that we’ll have nothing to worry about.  We’ll find out September 1st and thanks for the comment TopBilled.  People have said all the time that I have really great.  Creative and interesting ideas.  That’s how I come up with who I’d like to see as SOTM sometime and everything I’d like to see on here sometime.  Like we’d still like to see Rick Moranis as a guest programmer sometime too right and I still think you and I should request stuff together on here sometime.  Like Rick Moranis as a guest programmer sometime.  That’s a start right?  So let’s all not give up hope on this refresh everybody.  Just think positive like me and with me.  I’m sure everything will be fine and we’ll have nothing to worry about.

Lemme guess here, Dave.

Honey, I Shunk the Kids is your absolute, numero uno, top o' the list favorite flick of all time, RIGHT?!

(...oh, just a wild guess here, that's all)  ;) 

• Haha 1

OH, and btw here, Dave...

14 minutes ago, David Guercio said:

...I ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY agree with you about this whole thing probably bein' (and as The Bard once titled one of his plays) Much Ado About Nothing!!!

30 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Honey, I Shunk the Kids is your absolute, numero uno, top o' the list favorite flick of all time, RIGHT?!

I'm sure Eddie Muller can tell us how it's really a noir.

• Haha 3